North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 04 Jan 2015

(04 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm)Dan Yup, both legs of the journey taking about an hour (so four hours in travel time in total).

Connecting between trains isn't that stressful, mind.....

Leaves you in a precarious situation if Train A is delayed and you end up missing Train B somehow, whilst trying to stay as a group.

Mind, there's no guarantee you'll be able to attend, Dan. We still don't know if you'll survive this week. Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 04 Jan 2015

(04 Jan 2015, 11:15 pm)MarcTheA4 Leaves you in a precarious situation if Train A is delayed and you end up missing Train B somehow, whilst trying to stay as a group.

Mind, there's no guarantee you'll be able to attend, Dan. We still don't know if you'll survive this week. Wink
Imagine in these sort of circumstances you would be permitted to travel on a later Train B service, as it isn't your fault Train A was delayed?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - tyresmoke - 04 Jan 2015

(04 Jan 2015, 11:15 pm)MarcTheA4 Leaves you in a precarious situation if Train A is delayed and you end up missing Train B somehow, whilst trying to stay as a group.

There's frequent enough services from York to Selby, if not Hull (I think Hull is roughly 1.5 hourly) - EYMS's service is another option, albeit taking a while!

EDIT: Just thought of another - cheaper - option. It would involve a fair bit of travelling but you could do Megabus to Leeds and then the X62 (using Megabus tickets, usually £1/£3 looking for this week!) If you booked in advance for a group of 10 it would be cheaper than hiring a minibus

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 04 Jan 2015

(04 Jan 2015, 11:23 pm)tyresmoke There's frequent enough services from York to Selby, if not Hull (I think Hull is roughly 1.5 hourly) - EYMS's service is another option, albeit taking a while!

If we all got the 08:21 East Coast train from Newcastle (some boarding at 08:38 at Durham) and got to York at 09:31, we could get EYMS' X46 service from outside of York Railway Station to Hull Paragon Interchange. Smile

It would come at 10:03 and arrive at 12:03 - so full 2 hours.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 04 Jan 2015

(04 Jan 2015, 11:23 pm)Dan Imagine in these sort of circumstances you would be permitted to travel on a later Train B service, as it isn't your fault Train A was delayed?
Aye, they usually announce it on East Coast. The 1730 out of London often gets delayed on route, and they keep folk posted with the Cross Country connections further north than Newcastle.

Id guess that only the ECML part will be ticket restricted, with the York to Hull stretch being open. That's certainly the case if you do Blackpool via York, or Glasgow via Edinburgh.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - tyresmoke - 04 Jan 2015

(04 Jan 2015, 11:26 pm)aureolin Aye, they usually announce it on East Coast. The 1730 out of London often gets delayed on route, and they keep folk posted with the Cross Country connections further north than Newcastle.

Id guess that only the ECML part will be ticket restricted, with the York to Hull stretch being open. That's certainly the case if you do Blackpool via York, or Glasgow via Edinburgh.

Yes - the trains to Hull run hourly from York so that's not too bad, there is enough to do in York to keep everyone entertained for an hour if it came to that.
Money can usually be saved by splitting tickets up too, for example York-Hull is £19 odd return (16-25 railcard) but this can be reduced to around £15 by splitting at Selby, and all trains call here

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 05 Jan 2015

(04 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm)Dan Down to opinion, I guess. I quite like that spot, and I know Fozz has said that he likes it in the past as well.

[Image: 14320320489_8239a4741b.jpg]Arriva North East: 1515 / NL63VRK by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Personally think this is one of my best Sapphire 7 photos (and that's coming from someone who prefers to get away from bus stations and take photos en-route).
Yeah, I like that spot at Durham, I also like the area around the Roundabout at the top of North Road

(04 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm)tyresmoke I quite like this spot in Durham, as they come out under the viaduct - https://www.flickr.com/photos/61391443@N02/8136239071
Will have to have a look up there when am in Durham
(04 Jan 2015, 8:55 pm)aureolin It's well worth getting a P&R day ticket, and having a ride around on the PR1 and PR2. There's some good shots for photos along route, and with the P&R stations being unmanned, you'll get no bother taking photos on site. All three have good spots opposite to get shots.

I quite like some of the 'over the wall' shots from the bus station, as the church in the background looks quite good for the layover stands. North Road is decent, but I bet you could also get some good shots from the foot bridges too, with a good lens in hand. I quite like Church Street, over by the science site, and the sports centre just down the bank too.

Don't let it put you off mate. People are more than likely just curious as to what you're doing, but it's very rare that anyone will take it further other than looking at you. If you feel really uneasy, try and join some others when they're out and about over the weekend, as it's definitely easier in groups. There's always someone off here out on the weekend. 

I'm not a huge fan of having trips around by myself, if I don't know the place well at all. Hence not getting any Teesside Sapphires on route, as I have no idea what any areas down there are like. I'm fine with it up in Tyne and Wear, as I know where to have my witts about me! Smile

Yeah, that's a really good spot too, but it's probably seasonal! It should be perfect during the Spring/Summer, when the sun is high in the sky. 
When it comes to people looking at me, it is simply 'why's he taking photos of buses, I am just left to my own devices mostly, If I see someone else taking pictures, I will normally say hi.

The worst abuse I ever saw was an old guy in Peterlee, some drugged moron called the guy a paedophile for taking pics of buses(figure that one out), despite no kids being around...
(04 Jan 2015, 10:10 pm)MarcTheA4 I've been watching some episodes of On The Yorkshire Buses, lol.

I've just been thinking - I remember reading on this thread about future getogethers, etc, and after watching that episode about the EYMS vs Stagecoach Charity Football Match - an idea has come to me.

Seeing as we have a lot of football fans on here, should EYMS and Stagecoach do it again this year, as it was a huge success by all accounts (despite Stagecoach winning 3-0 Wink) - would it be a good idea looking into the possibility of hiring a coach to maybe take those interested down?

Granted it may not be everybody's cup of tea, so it may not work out, but surely it would be a great day out!

Think of it as the Jolly Boy's Outing from Only Fools!
The Jolly Boys Outing...As long as the bus doesn't blow up one of my favourite scenes from that episode

The bus driver was overcome by fumes and looks drunk

Trigger: What d'ya thinks wrong with him
Mike: What do I thinks wrong, I dunno Trig, snow blindness
Trigger: Oh, I thought he was pissed

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adam - 05 Jan 2015

Needed a couple of bits and bobs so made a trip out of it as my friends are all busy with uni assignments. Ah, the joys of not having any work to do over the Christmas break...

10:25 #X1 Wrekenton - Gateshead (6054)
10:45 #X66 Gateshead - Metrocentre (5161)
11:30 #X43 Metrocentre - Stanley (3889)
12:00 #78 Stanley - Chester-le-Street (4908)
12:45 #71 Chester-le-Street - Houghton-le-Spring (8272)
13:16 #35 Houghton-le-Spring - Sunderland (4970)
14:07 #X36 Sunderland - Gateshead (4976)
15:05 #X25 Gateshead - Eighton Banks (3878)

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 05 Jan 2015

(05 Jan 2015, 3:47 pm)Adam Needed a couple of bits and bobs so made a trip out of it as my friends are all busy with uni assignments:

10:25 #X1 Wrekenton - Gateshead (6054)
10:45 #X66 Gateshead - Metrocentre (5161)
11:30 #X43 Metrocentre - Stanley (3889)
12:00 #78 Stanley - Chester-le-Street (4908)
12:45 #71 Chester-le-Street - Houghton-le-Spring (8272)
13:16 #35 Houghton-le-Spring - Sunderland (4970)
14:07 #X36 Sunderland - Gateshead (4976)
15:05 #X25 Gateshead - Eighton Banks (3878)

I see you got through Fencehouses unscathed! Wink

From Stanley Travel this morning...

Dear Marcus

Thank you for your enquiry.

From the details provided, the cost of the hire would be £28.00 based on 15 passengers.

If you would like to book or require any further information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kindest regards

Andrew

(05 Jan 2015, 3:48 pm)MarcTheA4 I see you got through Fencehouses unscathed! Wink
The key to getting through Fencehouses safely is simple, get past the unofficial border posts at Chilton Moor and near that Pub just after Bournmoor without being on the receiving end of an atomic wedgie, itchy seeds put down your back or being egged and feathered then your sorted, if your unlucky you may get a blast from there hot Chilli Sauce filled Super Soakers, while the FPF are dangerous, watch out for that lot from New Lambton, who humiliate there victims by tea bagging them

I hear patrols have been took up a notch after the Avenue Vivian lot made there intention to invade FPF territory public knowledge and that Andreos has started an all out, unrestricted war strategy to draw out Vivian(as there leader is known locally, he is like an old woman at times as well), no school type prank is off limits for the FPF at the moment

I feel like my quote doesn't add up...15 passengers, a minibus and a journey to Hull and back (Only Fools reference! Wink) comes to £28.00..?

Just doesn't seem right to me!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 05 Jan 2015

(05 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm)MarcTheA4 I feel like my quote doesn't add up...15 passengers, a minibus and a journey to Hull and back (Only Fools reference! Wink) comes to £28.00..?

£28.00 per head... £420 in total.

(05 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm)MarcTheA4 I feel like my quote doesn't add up...15 passengers, a minibus and a journey to Hull and back (Only Fools reference! Wink) comes to £28.00..?

Del Boy: Uncle Albert...'Olland is over there

After asking for directions from a North Sea Oil Rig Big Grin

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 05 Jan 2015

(05 Jan 2015, 4:05 pm)MrFozz The key to getting through Fencehouses safely is simple, get past the unofficial border posts at Chilton Moor and near that Pub just after Bournmoor without being on the receiving end of an atomic wedgie, itchy seeds put down your back or being egged and feathered then your sorted, if your unlucky you may get a blast from there hot Chilli Sauce filled Super Soakers, while the FPF are dangerous, watch out for that lot from New Lambton, who humiliate there victims by tea bagging them

I hear patrols have been took up a notch after the Avenue Vivian lot made there intention to invade FPF territory public knowledge and that Andreos has started an all out, unrestricted war strategy to draw out Vivian(as there leader is known locally, he is like an old woman at times as well), no school type prank is off limits for the FPF at the moment

Since the old firestation was demolished, the advantage we had over visitors from the north or west, has diminished.
The old tower was a perfect vantage point, to alert FPF command of any 'outsiders' approaching.

Similarly, it ensured outsiders could be targeted with pea shooters should they look dodgy.

Adam is safe though.

Our spies/agents may have walked out in front of the 71 in Chester, but that was merely to get at bus operators, rather than Adam.

In what way? Too much, too little?

(05 Jan 2015, 4:19 pm)Dan £28.00 per head... £420 in total.

Thought that might have been the case! lol

Bit steep! I think I might try and contact Jim Hughes or Kingsley's too.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 05 Jan 2015

(05 Jan 2015, 4:25 pm)MarcTheA4 Thought that might have been the case! lol

And the chances are 15 people won't be going. So then it will be more.
May just be cheaper going by train?

(05 Jan 2015, 4:25 pm)MarcTheA4 Thought that might have been the case! lol

I will keep out of this one, otherwise I may end up banging on about NorthStar from Seaham

(05 Jan 2015, 4:27 pm)Tom And the chances are 15 people won't be going. So then it will be more.
May just be cheaper going by train?

Open it up through Social Media on a first come, first served basis, then it should not be impossible to fill 15 seats