North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 10:30 pm)Dan As long as it isn't a dupe service, it will be fine.

Will be using London as a central hub in the summer all being well - want to get some photos of every Go Ahead operator.

Normally when I go to London or abroad I never caption the photos as there is always too many Tongue

Re: RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm)Dan On a completely different note, here's a trip I'm looking at for the summer:

MEGABUS (£5.00):
Departs 06:05 Sunderland , Park Lane Bus Interchange Stand W
Arrives 14:45 Cardiff , Kingsway, Stop GQ

MEGABUS GOLD (£5.00):
Departs 16:30 Cardiff , Kingsway, Stop GQ
Arrives 20:05 London , Victoria Coach Station

MEGABUS (£10.00):
Departs 22:30 London , Victoria Coach Station
Arrives 07:35 EDINBURGH, EDINBURGH BUS STATION

EAST COAST (£10.40):
Departs 14:08 Edinburgh [EDB] Platform 19
Arrives 15:33 Newcastle [NCL] Platform 4

Most of you will perish the thought of so long on a coach. Personally don't mind them, as long as I have plug sockets, Wi-Fi and plenty of music!

The alternative would be to jump off the Megabus at Newcastle (around half 4 in the morning it arrives), and leave the Scotland section for another time.

When are you gonna be booking that up mate, I would be up for that if i had the money and, of coueseif you wanted company Big Grin

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 10:41 pm)fozzovmurton When are you gonna be booking that up mate, I would be up for that if i had the money and, of coueseif you wanted company Big Grin

God knows.
Would be a summer trip but I'd be booking a month in advance to secure those Megabus Wednesday trips for a fiver.

I need the money myself first! Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - tyresmoke - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 10:52 pm)Dan God knows.
Would be a summer trip but I'd be booking a month in advance to secure those Megabus Wednesday trips for a fiver.

All fares stay at £5 on a Wednesday Dan so you needn't worry about them going up. Unsure if Gold is included in that though?

Re: RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 10:52 pm)Dan God knows.

Well give me a shout when ya get round to sorting it out

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Kuyoyo - 19 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 10:55 pm)tyresmoke All fares stay at £5 on a Wednesday Dan so you needn't worry about them going up. Unsure if Gold is included in that though?

Gold isn't included in the Mega Fiver Wednesdays.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 20 Jan 2014

(19 Jan 2014, 10:55 pm)tyresmoke All fares stay at £5 on a Wednesday Dan so you needn't worry about them going up. Unsure if Gold is included in that though?

The problem would be the amount of available tickets. They sell out so quickly.

Gold and Scottish fares are obviously subject to rising too.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 20 Jan 2014

Was just thinking about this again this morning and thinking about cost of coach hire...

Using the Dunfermline trip as an example, lets say we can hire a vehicle for 15 quid a head, could we not mark it up to 20 notes a head, with the leftover cash being pumped back into NEB to be used for either:-

1. A prize fund for a photo of the year competition, i.e. the 12 monthly winners are entered into POTY with cash prizes for the top 3

2. Put it back into a days out fund so that next time coach hire might be a few quid a head cheaper

3. Produce an NEB Calendar, A Calendar would mostly only be interesting to enthusiasts, but money made could again be thrown back into a coach hire fund...

4. When there was a enough money, organise our own NEB Bus Rally(I appreciate this may be a tough ask and cost lots of money to put on)

Lets say we could could consistently get 15/20 every trip that would see an extra 75-100 notes to do something with...

Probably daft ideas, but ideas all the same Big Grin

(20 Jan 2014, 6:50 pm)fozzovmurton Was just thinking about this again this morning and thinking about cost of coach hire...

Using the Dunfermline trip as an example, lets say we can hire a vehicle for 15 quid a head, could we not mark it up to 20 notes a head, with the leftover cash being pumped back into NEB to be used for either:-

1. A prize fund for a photo of the year competition, i.e. the 12 monthly winners are entered into POTY with cash prizes for the top 3

2. Put it back into a days out fund so that next time coach hire might be a few quid a head cheaper

3. Produce an NEB Calendar, A Calendar would mostly only be interesting to enthusiasts, but money made could again be thrown back into a coach hire fund...

4. When there was a enough money, organise our own NEB Bus Rally(I appreciate this may be a tough ask and cost lots of money to put on)

Lets say we could could consistently get 15/20 every trip that would see an extra 75-100 notes to do something with...

Probably daft ideas, but ideas all the same Big Grin

Not sure whether everyone would go for £20/head... I'm trying my best to get it down as cheap as possible, but proving difficult when most of the companies are wanting £500+.

Best deal so far is with Jim Hughes, at £450. To get that at £15/head, we need 30 passengers to occupy a 33-seater midi-coach. If it was £20/head, we would need 23 passengers. I'm not sure how many really will go for it - there's only 5 definite 'Yes' answers on the poll at the moment with 5 'Maybe' answers. So for argument's sake, let's say 7 people will go. I think it would be rather difficult to get that up to 23, nevermind 30. Most won't want to hand in the money beforehand rather than just on the day, but there's obviously no security at my end if it does go tits up.

If we did miraculously get 30 passengers for the trip and we charged £20 each, that's obviously £150 which we could have to play around with. Putting it back into the next trip would be a great idea though.

Re: RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 20 Jan 2014

(20 Jan 2014, 7:06 pm)Dan Not sure whether everyone would go for £20/head... I'm trying my best to get it down as cheap as possible, but proving difficult when most of the companies are wanting £500+.

Best deal so far is with Jim Hughes, at £450. To get that at £15/head, we need 30 passengers to occupy a 33-seater midi-coach. If it was £20/head, we would need 23 passengers. I'm not sure how many really will go for it - there's only 5 definite 'Yes' answers on the poll at the moment with 5 'Maybe' answers. So for argument's sake, let's say 7 people will go. I think it would be rather difficult to get that up to 23, nevermind 30. Most won't want to hand in the money beforehand rather than just on the day, but there's obviously no security at my end if it does go tits up.

If we did miraculously get 30 passengers for the trip and we charged £20 each, that's obviously £150 which we could have to play around with. Putting it back into the next trip would be a great idea though.

Understood mate...

Out of inrerest, who exactly have you approached up to now, is there anything any of us can do i.e. asking businesses on our own doorstep...Where I live, just to name a few I have Snowdens, Pygalls, Northstar, Ted Wilford...Roberts, Safari and Don Smiths(if those last 3 are still in Business)...I am seeing my mate on Saturday, when I was a volunteer for him at a Youth Group we used to have 3 or 4 outings a year and would almost always book a coach and would always get a good deal even though we would mostly only fill half a full sized coach...

Anyway, thanks Dan for enquiring into it on behalf of everyone, what you should do and I know you have said as much already is open seats up to everyone, put the word out to the whole North East Enthusiast Scene on a first come, first served basis once you know who from NEB would be going...

Keep up the good work pal (Y)

(20 Jan 2014, 8:37 pm)fozzovmurton Understood mate...

Out of inrerest, who exactly have you approached up to now, is there anything any of us can do i.e. asking businesses on our own doorstep...Where I live, just to name a few I have Snowdens, Pygalls, Northstar, Ted Wilford...Roberts, Safari and Don Smiths(if those last 3 are still in Business)...I am seeing my mate on Saturday, when I was a volunteer for him at a Youth Group we used to have 3 or 4 outings a year and would almost always book a coach and would always get a good deal even though we would mostly only fill half a full sized coach...

Anyway, thanks Dan for enquiring into it on behalf of everyone, what you should do and I know you have said as much already is open seats up to everyone, put the word out to the whole North East Enthusiast Scene on a first come, first served basis once you know who from NEB would be going...

Keep up the good work pal (Y)

Keith's Coaches, Priory, M&D, Pygall's, Durham City, Jim Hughes, Phoenix, David Dove, Scarlet Band, Maynards, the three from earlier, the one Tom suggested... And a few more too.

Adam has obviously enquired about Kingsley's, and feel free to ask any coach ops on your front door - just don't go for anything bigger than a 33-midi.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 20 Jan 2014

Okies mate, will put the word out round here mate, see what I can come up with, not making any promises, bit I will give it a try (Y)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 20 Jan 2014

(20 Jan 2014, 7:06 pm)Dan Not sure whether everyone would go for £20/head... I'm trying my best to get it down as cheap as possible, but proving difficult when most of the companies are wanting £500+.

I think people should be forking out upfront to be honest. No one will have any problem doing that if they're 100% serious about going. There's no excuse in not doing it - even if it means they PayPal it over to you as a gift. Coach operator will usually want at least a deposit upfront, if not the full amount.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 20 Jan 2014

Just a thought, what about contacting Taxi Companies like Gateshead Central Taxis see if they do Hires for the Day as no doubt it'll be Cheaper than Hiring through JH and Kingsley's etc, GL Minibuses of Washington is another one that has came to mind if we going to struggle to get above the "15 People Mark", as they do 12/14 and 16 Seater Minibuses (Ford Transits).

http://www.glminibuses.co.uk/

Re: RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 21 Jan 2014

(20 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm)Adam Malarkey Just a thought, what about contacting Taxi Companies like Gateshead Central Taxis see if they do Hires for the Day as no doubt it'll be Cheaper than Hiring through JH and Kingsley's etc, GL Minibuses of Washington is another one that has came to mind if we going to struggle to get above the "15 People Mark", as they do 12/14 and 16 Seater Minibuses (Ford Transits).

http://www.glminibuses.co.uk/

Thats a good idea Mr Malarkey, there is of course taxi companies in general, just about all have at least 8 seaters and we could probably get a decent enough deal if only 7 was interested, again I will have a look about...

If this comes off would it be good to arrange a local meet in advance(probably one of the local events i.e. Metrocentre), I already know a couple of people off here namely Messrs. Malarkey and Houston, would be good to acquaint myself with others Big Grin

FAO Dan: Check your PMs mate

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MurdnunoC - 21 Jan 2014

I went on another bus adventure yesterday venturing further afield using an Explorer North East ticket. I left the house at around 9:30 and got back around 20:30. My journey was as follows:

45 to Metrocentre
X66 to Gateshead
X1 to Washington
50 to Durham
7 to Darlington
X66 to Middlesbrough
1 to Hartlepool
X35 to Sunderland
Metro to Heworth
Northern Rail to Metrocentre
47 back home to Rowlands Gill

I will never get the X35 from Hartlepool to Sunderland again. It takes far too long and the buses used are not the most comfortable. When at Peterlee, I asked the driver whether there was an X9 due to Newcastle as connections between the services are apparently available. He said he didn't know, more or less forcing me to stay on the bus as I didn't really want to hang around Peterlee on the off-chance that a bus may appear. If I ever make that trip again, it's the 23 for me.

How long does the diversionary route on the 1 add onto the journey time?

(21 Jan 2014, 8:24 am)AdamY I went on another bus adventure yesterday venturing further afield using an Explorer North East ticket. I left the house at around 9:30 and got back around 20:30. My journey was as follows:

45 to Metrocentre
X66 to Gateshead
X1 to Washington
50 to Durham
7 to Darlington
X66 to Middlesbrough
1 to Hartlepool
X35 to Sunderland
Metro to Heworth
Northern Rail to Metrocentre
47 back home to Rowlands Gill

I will never get the X35 from Hartlepool to Sunderland again. It takes far too long and the buses used are not the most comfortable. When at Peterlee, I asked the driver whether there was an X9 due to Newcastle as connections between the services are apparently available. He said he didn't know, more or less forcing me to stay on the bus as I didn't really want to hang around Peterlee on the off-chance that a bus may appear. If I ever make that trip again, it's the 23 for me.

How long does the diversionary route on the 1 add onto the journey time?

I have never seen those services connect effectively...but the X35 is a long old haul...24 from P/lee is the best option to Sunderland

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MurdnunoC - 21 Jan 2014

(21 Jan 2014, 8:29 am)fozzovmurton I have never seen those services connect effectively...but the X35 is a long old haul...24 from P/lee is the best option to Sunderland

My journey on the X35 was made all the more fun by 3 drunken morons (one apparently blind; another with a Petrol Can) boarding at Easington Lane hurling abuse at the female passengers on the bus. The other passengers alighted at Houghton and Doxford leaving me alone on the bus with them all the way to Sunderland. They were sitting at the back, me in the space where the two sets of seats face each other, so they were say right behind me drinking cider and being generally ladgeful. It was quite tense.

(21 Jan 2014, 8:42 am)AdamY My journey on the X35 was made all the more fun by 3 drunken morons (one apparently blind; another with a Petrol Can) boarding at Easington Lane hurling abuse at the female passengers on the bus. The other passengers alighted at Houghton and Doxford leaving me alone on the bus with them all the way to Sunderland. They were sitting at the back, me in the space where the two sets of seats face each other, so they were say right behind me drinking cider and being generally ladgeful. It was quite tense.

A petrol can on a bus, thats a bit dangerous, I am surprised the driver let it go...

Sounds like someone who scared me on the X35 once, I was talking to the driver, naughty I know, but he was a good mate of mine, the guy was going ballistic, he scared 2 old ladies and 2 teenage girls by hurling abuse at me, the only way we could calm him down was by telling him I was an employee of the company route learning, lol, when the driver booted him off the bus, he had his hand in an inside pocket of his coat, and I honestly thought he was gonna pull a blade on me, real scary shit, I was nearly in tears I was that frightened and surprised I didnt need to change my underpants lmak

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 21 Jan 2014

(21 Jan 2014, 8:42 am)AdamY My journey on the X35 was made all the more fun by 3 drunken morons (one apparently blind; another with a Petrol Can) boarding at Easington Lane hurling abuse at the female passengers on the bus. The other passengers alighted at Houghton and Doxford leaving me alone on the bus with them all the way to Sunderland. They were sitting at the back, me in the space where the two sets of seats face each other, so they were say right behind me drinking cider and being generally ladgeful. It was quite tense.

No idea why, but as soon as you mentioned x35 and petrol can in the same sentence, 'the lane' sprung to mind as having something to do with it