North East Buses
New service X11 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: New service X11 (/showthread.php?tid=3306)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: New service X11 - streetdeckfan - 11 Aug 2021

(11 Aug 2021, 10:36 am)Keeiajs Yeah, but how many people buy there tickets before hand. In proportion to how many buy tickets on the bus/

I'd imagine quite a few people will buy them on the app just for ease of getting on the bus. 
I would personally buy the ticket on the bus because I don't trust the app to work or my phone to stay charged!

RE: New service X11 - Keeiajs - 11 Aug 2021

(11 Aug 2021, 10:44 am)streetdeckfan I'd imagine quite a few people will buy them on the app just for ease of getting on the bus. 
I would personally buy the ticket on the bus because I don't trust the app to work or my phone to stay charged!
I would do the same, buy tickets on the bus. Via Contactless

RE: New service X11 - Andreos1 - 11 Aug 2021

(11 Aug 2021, 10:36 am)Keeiajs Yeah, but how many people buy there tickets before hand. In proportion to how many buy tickets on the bus/

That's something GNE can manage and potentially offer incentives for doing so.

Managing the service better, by introducing a small administrative function (at minimum overhead) would allow GNE to have a broad idea how many people are going to rock up.
Heck, they could even offer some sort of discount for an advance booking and/or a small premium for those who turn up on the day and pay on the bus.

RE: New service X11 - streetdeckfan - 11 Aug 2021

(11 Aug 2021, 12:06 pm)Andreos1 That's something GNE can manage and potentially offer incentives for doing so.

Managing the service better, by introducing a small administrative function (at minimum overhead) would allow GNE to have a broad idea how many people are going to rock up.
Heck, they could even offer some sort of discount for an advance booking and/or a small premium for those who turn up on the day and pay on the bus.

Don't they do that with some tickets, the family ticket springs to mind?

RE: New service X11 - Andreos1 - 11 Aug 2021

(11 Aug 2021, 12:11 pm)streetdeckfan Don't they do that with some tickets, the family ticket springs to mind?

If that is the case, then surely it makes it so much easier introducing and managing for the X11.

RE: New service X11 - Keeiajs - 24 Aug 2021

X11 reached full capacity today. Should have had a extra at Washington Galleries waiting tbh.

RE: New service X11 - Adrian - 24 Aug 2021

(24 Aug 2021, 9:28 am)Keeiajs X11 reached full capacity today. Should have had a extra at Washington Galleries waiting tbh.

Replacement departed from the Galleries almost 2 hours later.

Although it doesn't seem to be showing on bustimes, 7128 is sending the following data to BODS showing 72 out of 55 seats in use(??)

<VehicleUniqueId>7128</VehicleUniqueId>
<DriverRef>**removed** (unsure why this is even being sent)</DriverRef>
<SeatedOccupancy>72</SeatedOccupancy>
<SeatedCapacity>55</SeatedCapacity>
<WheelchairOccupancy>0</WheelchairOccupancy>
<WheelchairCapacity>1</WheelchairCapacity>

...and the replacement (7150) is showing as having 24 out of 66 seats in use. I'm actually surprised people hung around for that long. 

<VehicleUniqueId>7150</VehicleUniqueId>
<SeatedOccupancy>24</SeatedOccupancy>
<SeatedCapacity>66</SeatedCapacity>

RE: New service X11 - Kuyoyo - 24 Aug 2021

(24 Aug 2021, 10:57 am)Adrian Replacement departed from the Galleries almost 2 hours later.

Although it doesn't seem to be showing on bustimes, 7128 is sending the following data to BODS showing 72 out of 55 seats in use(??)

...and the replacement (7150) is showing as having 24 out of 66 seats in use. I'm actually surprised people hung around for that long. 

I believe 7128's ticket machine is currently fitted to JH67COM so a higher capacity vehicle can be used.

RE: New service X11 - Train8261 - 24 Aug 2021

Photo on Facebook shows it being JH67 COM being tracked as 7128. Mad that it manged to be full at only the Galleries

RE: New service X11 - mb134 - 24 Aug 2021

(24 Aug 2021, 10:57 am)Adrian Replacement departed from the Galleries almost 2 hours later.

2 hours is an awful long time to be waiting, especially when the dupe is only coming from a depot 20 minutes down the road. It was announced to be leaving the depot at 10:22, so I do wonder how it took around 40 minutes longer than Google's estimate to get there?

I understand that there are likely only a handful of drivers route learned on the service and they're likely covering other work given the shortage at the moment, but over the peak summer months you'd think at least one would be kept reasonably local - or a more supervisory member of staff would take it. 

From a passenger POV, I think I'd be willing to wait an hour. Anymore and I'd firstly be disappointed in the time lost in Scarborough/Whitby, but also less likely to use it again in the future.

RE: New service X11 - stagecoachbusdepot - 24 Aug 2021

Does 55/72 reflect capacity restriction of some sort?  I thought all restrictions on seating capacity had been removed a while ago?

(24 Aug 2021, 11:45 am)mb134 2 hours is an awful long time to be waiting, especially when the dupe is only coming from a depot 20 minutes down the road. It was announced to be leaving the depot at 10:22, so I do wonder how it took around 40 minutes longer than Google's estimate to get there?

I understand that there are likely only a handful of drivers route learned on the service and they're likely covering other work given the shortage at the moment, but over the peak summer months you'd think at least one would be kept reasonably local - or a more supervisory member of staff would take it. 

From a passenger POV, I think I'd be willing to wait an hour. Anymore and I'd firstly be disappointed in the time lost in Scarborough/Whitby, but also less likely to use it again in the future.

I have to say (and in fear of being labelled with the 'usual attitude' again Rolleyes ), if this runs next season, I hope there's a more robust operational plan to ensure the availability of a replacement vehicle in a timely manner. Maybe insisting on advance ticket purchases is one way to do that, but also (and I think Andreos1 suggested this before) look at the live sales data on the day and get out of the traps faster if need be. 

I think most people would accept there is some delay in getting a dupe in place, but it comes down to what is reasonable. 20-25 minutes maybe, but 2 hours not so much!

I really couldn't envisage many people willing to sit around for 2 hours for the next bus, so the number on board has genuinely surprised me. It looks from bustimes.org as if the dupe has skipped Billingham and Middlesbrough, and not picked up anyone at Peterlee either. I think if I had purchased a ticket to make the journey, but was looking at that kind of wait at the Galleries, I'd have found something to do with my day. Such as taking crap photos at the Metrocentre.

(24 Aug 2021, 11:56 am)stagecoachbusdepot Does 55/72 reflect capacity restriction of some sort?  I thought all restrictions on seating capacity had been removed a while ago?

Kuyoyo posted here that 7128's ETM is fitted to JH67COM, so that probably explains it.

(24 Aug 2021, 12:05 pm)Adrian I have to say (and in fear of being labelled with the 'usual attitude' again Rolleyes ), if this runs next season, I hope there's a more robust operational plan to ensure the availability of a replacement vehicle in a timely manner. Maybe insisting on advance ticket purchases is one way to do that, but also (and I think Andreos1 suggested this before) look at the live sales data on the day and get out of the traps faster if need be. 

I think most people would accept there is some delay in getting a dupe in place, but it comes down to what is reasonable. 20-25 minutes maybe, but 2 hours not so much!

I'd agree. It's good to see initiatives like this, especially in the current climate, but if customers have experiences such as today where they have to wait 2 hours in Washington Galleries for the dupe (and you can't really go anywhere in the meantime, as there's no indication of when it'll turn up), you don't imagine they'll be quite as keen to come back. If they are operating a once a day special such as this, I'd suggest that they also need to put in place corresponding systems as you've outlined - you can't run this once a day special like the 21 and just tell folk another one will be there soon. 

At the very least, I'd think you would need to have the following in place:
  • Vehicle checked and ready to go.
  • Route learned driver at work, or some sort of supervisor willing to take it instead. 
  • Better communication with passengers waiting at Washington - the first Tweet I saw today was at 10:22, an hour after the main coach had left and when the dupe was apparently leaving Riverside. I see now there was a follow up stating 11am arrival at Washington, but I'd query how it took it that long to get there.
  • Incentivise advance purchases (as yourself and Andreos1 mentioned)
  • More alert to live data on the day (as yourself and Andreos1 mentioned)

I also wonder if there would be a way for either supervisors based at Washington if they exist, or drivers passing through, to report back to GNE Towers how many folk they see waiting for the X11 in the 5-15 minutes before arrival? Just to help get the ball rolling that bit earlier if the ticket data from Newcastle/Gateshead is borderline.

RE: New service X11 - Rapidsnap - 24 Aug 2021

Considering the weather is meant to be good for the next week or so, plus the bank holiday weekend, it prob be wise for GNE to have a hot spare ready. Hopefully there isn't issues where people stay the weekend and there is more people than seats waiting to return on the Monday evening.

RE: New service X11 - Keeiajs - 24 Aug 2021

(24 Aug 2021, 1:18 pm)Rapidsnap Considering the weather is meant to be good for the next week or so, plus the bank holiday weekend, it prob be wise for GNE to have a hot spare ready. Hopefully there isn't issues where people stay the weekend and there is more people than seats waiting to return on the Monday evening.
Have one ready at washington.

RE: New service X11 - stagecoachbusdepot - 24 Aug 2021

(24 Aug 2021, 12:09 pm)Adrian Kuyoyo posted here that 7128's ETM is fitted to JH67COM, so that probably explains it.

Yes I read it the wrong way round - thought it was 55/72 seats taken, rather than the opposite!

RE: New service X11 - Andreos1 - 24 Aug 2021

So the lessons from 11th August, haven't been learned and rather than it run 70mins behind, it's almost 120mins.

Not good enough.

(24 Aug 2021, 12:59 pm)mb134 I'd agree. It's good to see initiatives like this, especially in the current climate, but if customers have experiences such as today where they have to wait 2 hours in Washington Galleries for the dupe (and you can't really go anywhere in the meantime, as there's no indication of when it'll turn up), you don't imagine they'll be quite as keen to come back. If they are operating a once a day special such as this, I'd suggest that they also need to put in place corresponding systems as you've outlined - you can't run this once a day special like the 21 and just tell folk another one will be there soon. 

At the very least, I'd think you would need to have the following in place:
  • Vehicle checked and ready to go.
  • Route learned driver at work, or some sort of supervisor willing to take it instead. 
  • Better communication with passengers waiting at Washington - the first Tweet I saw today was at 10:22, an hour after the main coach had left and when the dupe was apparently leaving Riverside. I see now there was a follow up stating 11am arrival at Washington, but I'd query how it took it that long to get there.
  • Incentivise advance purchases (as yourself and Andreos1 mentioned)
  • More alert to live data on the day (as yourself and Andreos1 mentioned)

I also wonder if there would be a way for either supervisors based at Washington if they exist, or drivers passing through, to report back to GNE Towers how many folk they see waiting for the X11 in the 5-15 minutes before arrival? Just to help get the ball rolling that bit earlier if the ticket data from Newcastle/Gateshead is borderline.

The last paragraph must be the most simplest, quickest and cost effective way of managing the situation.
It would take moments to sort and would have someone on the ground to answer questions, offer solutions and share updates.
Get someone skilled in customer service, hand out a couple of freebies or vouchers and they're on to a winner.
Ultimately, they're feeding back to control. To customers, it could be good PR.

Looks like 7150 has hung about in Scarborough for a later departure, presumably communicated to those who got into Scarborough later than expected. A positive move, and lets face it, not one that they were obliged to do. 

[Image: x11-20210824.png]

(24 Aug 2021, 5:51 pm)Adrian Looks like 7150 has hung about in Scarborough for a later departure, presumably communicated to those who got into Scarborough later than expected. A positive move, and lets face it, not one that they were obliged to do. 

[Image: x11-20210824.png]

Definitely positive - and instances like this (the later northbound specifically) can go a long way to build customer relations for those passengers to maybe start using the rest of the network too. That said, I don't think it excuses the 2 hour delay in the dupe arriving at Washington, and don't think it's a viable solution long term either - folk will likely be planning their connections home and a one hour delay on the way back (I appreciate sometimes unavoidable) would probably scupper most of those.