North East Buses
Fleet Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Fleet Changes (/showthread.php?tid=3443)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

RE: Fleet Changes - Storx - 01 Oct 2021

In fairness wireless charging is the future. Wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone never gets USB-C and instead they just remove the port altogether. It's been rumoured for awhile now.

RE: Fleet Changes - mb134 - 01 Oct 2021

(01 Oct 2021, 7:58 pm)Storx In fairness wireless charging is the future. Wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone never gets USB-C and instead they just remove the port altogether. It's been rumoured for awhile now.

Especially with the EU ruling they need to move to USB-C within 2 years. 

Has anyone much experience with wireless charging on buses, how is it compared to USB?

RE: Fleet Changes - streetdeckfan - 01 Oct 2021

(01 Oct 2021, 8:36 pm)mb134 Especially with the EU ruling they need to move to USB-C within 2 years. 

Has anyone much experience with wireless charging on buses, how is it compared to USB?

Last time I used it (a few months back now), it seemed on par with the USB ports, and by that I mean painfully slow. They both seem to be limited to 5W. Unfortunately my new phone doesn't have wireless charging!

My phone does however come with a 30W charger, which at home charges the phone in about 40 minutes, but even with that plugged into the 240V socket on the B5, it barely charged at all. I'm guessing the inverter they use isn't a pure sinewave inverter so doesn't play happy with the charger.

RE: Fleet Changes - Keeiajs - 02 Oct 2021

(01 Oct 2021, 7:56 pm)mb134 Didn't realise they'd switched to USB-C to lightning. Bizarre that they still won't switch over the iPhones.
For the charging, what you stick in the power brick is USB-c, however what you stick into the Phone to charge it is the same.

RE: Fleet Changes - Keeiajs - 03 Oct 2021

Do the East Durham Explorer have USB's?, personally I believe any buses less than/or 10 year old with a route longer than 30 mins should have USB, maybe start to introduce USB-C.

RE: Fleet Changes - Train8261 - 03 Oct 2021

(03 Oct 2021, 4:38 pm)Keeiajs Do the East Durham Explorer have USB's?, personally I believe any buses less than/or 10 year old with a route longer than 30 mins should have USB, maybe start to introduce USB-C.
No they don't. They do have NSA though

(03 Oct 2021, 5:06 pm)Train8261 No they don't. They do have NSA though
They should, it is 55 min route.

RE: Fleet Changes - Andreos1 - 03 Oct 2021

(03 Oct 2021, 5:09 pm)Keeiajs They should, it is 55 min route.

It would be interesting to see what sort of proportion of passengers are doing the full route vs those using it for shorter hops. 

When you compare using a direct 65 between Seaham to Durham to say the alternative 60 and X20 or 71 and X20 between the same two points, it may be quicker or more prefarable for the everyday commuter to look at one of the alternatives.

(03 Oct 2021, 5:15 pm)Andreos1 It would be interesting to see what sort of proportion of passengers are doing the full route vs those using it for shorter hops. 

When you compare using a direct 65 between Seaham to Durham to say the alternative 60 and X20 or 71 and X20 between the same two points, it may be quicker or more prefarable for the everyday commuter to look at one of the alternatives.
Well from Seaham-Sunderland is like 25-30 mins. And then the X20 is 45. 

But I really think the 65 does need to be advertised a lot more. However I would move it out of Gilesgate as the traffic is and always has been atrocious. Turn around at B&Q and go down the A690 probs save some time.

(03 Oct 2021, 5:26 pm)Keeiajs Well from Seaham-Sunderland is like 25-30 mins. And then the X20 is 45. 

But I really think the 65 does need to be advertised a lot more. However I would move it out of Gilesgate as the traffic is and always has been atrocious. Turn around at B&Q and go down the A690 probs save some time.

I agree. Advertising routes that aren't part of the express offering needs to be improved.
Whether that be the 35, 71, 65 or 55 - those routes are potentially a lifeline for some and I'm not sure the obsession with a decker that has tables, does anything positive for those 'lesser' services.

I'd argue the traffic around Gilesgate is bad for a number of reasons. The layout and infrastructure is determined by the topography and layout of the land.
The other aspect is the need to giveway to all the traffic coming from the A690 and the lack of any quick, effective public transport from the areas leading up to jct 62 and the reliance of the Belmont P&R site.

(03 Oct 2021, 5:09 pm)Keeiajs They should, it is 55 min route.
There's more routes that should require NSA

(03 Oct 2021, 5:48 pm)Train8261 There's more routes that should require NSA
Oh I am not saying that the route shouldn't have NSA, I am saying it should have USB most buses 10 year old and less should. And they should make the change to USB-C. Or Wireless.

(03 Oct 2021, 6:40 pm)Keeiajs Oh I am not saying that the route shouldn't have NSA, I am saying it should have USB most buses 10 year old and less should. And they should make the change to USB-C. Or Wireless.
Yea I understand where your coming from. There's still a few buses that require NSA and USB. Little Coasters routes and Little Pinks need USB (in fact do any solos have usb) LC need NSA since the 11/42/42A/19 are long routes. Not sure if the Little Pinks have NSA

(03 Oct 2021, 5:34 pm)Andreos1 I agree. Advertising routes that aren't part of the express offering needs to be improved.
Whether that be the 35, 71, 65 or 55 - those routes are potentially a lifeline for some and I'm not sure the obsession with a decker that has tables, does anything positive for those 'lesser' services.

I'd argue the traffic around Gilesgate is bad for a number of reasons. The layout and infrastructure is determined by the topography and layout of the land.
The other aspect is the need to giveway to all the traffic coming from the A690 and the lack of any quick, effective public transport from the areas leading up to jct 62 and the reliance of the Belmont P&R site.
First of all I don't get why 55 isn't the 37, it follows the exact same route to Hetton. But I also think that the 35 should be split, Or there atleast should be like a 36 (a different one to now) Which begins at Sunderland goes the same way upto New Herrington, go up the A182 to Washington, then Birtley, down into Chester-Le-Street as 36 or X35. The name the 55 the 36 or 37. 

I would also change the 71, instead of station road, go upto Dalton park, along Seaham. Then 71 will be slightly faster than the X1, and retime it, by 30 mins then the Dalton park to Houghton will be every 30 mins., to provide connections to Sunderland which is faster than the 60, and Dalton Park. Aswell the 62 should go up parkside to provide connects to Dalton park/Peterlee/Easington/Sunderland.
But also the Gilesgate traffic something hast to be done, it is always sooo busy.

(03 Oct 2021, 6:52 pm)Train8261 Yea I understand where your coming from. There's still a few buses that require NSA and USB. Little Coasters routes and Little Pinks need USB (in fact do any solos have usb) LC need NSA since the 11/42/42A/19 are long routes. Not sure if the Little Pinks have NSA
Yeah, they do. 

I also think, Peterlee Purples, Little Coasters, Pinks, Berries, Drifters, 5/9. And they should start with USB-C's & Maybe USB-A.

RE: Fleet Changes - idiot - 03 Oct 2021

Just putting my 2p again - scrap USB etc as it's ridiculously slow charge.

RE: Fleet Changes - mb134 - 03 Oct 2021

(03 Oct 2021, 8:26 pm)idiot Just putting my 2p again - scrap USB etc as it's ridiculously slow charge.

Depending on the circumstances, I'd tend to agree. For longer distance routes, ones where folk are likely to be on board for 30+ minutes I think they're a good addition (e.g X-Lines), but on routes where folk are on and off in 10 minutes or so I don't see them as being particularly useful. After you get the cable out the bottom of your bag, plug it in, then get it packed away again in time for your stop you've maybe got 3% charge if you're lucky?  

I've made the point before, but in the times I've used buses in cities in Europe they've had comfortable seating, NSAs, and smart interiors - no charging or WiFi that I've noticed. The buses there are well used, with attractive fares and service offerings. I understand that it doesn't exactly line up, but I do think operators in this country have started to put more emphasis on what comes with the bus, than the actual core bus service itself - and I'm not sure that's the right approach.

(03 Oct 2021, 8:26 pm)idiot Just putting my 2p again - scrap USB etc as it's ridiculously slow charge.
When I have gotton the buses, for say 30-50 mins my phone charged like 10-20% which could last me for about another hour.

(03 Oct 2021, 9:01 pm)mb134 Depending on the circumstances, I'd tend to agree. For longer distance routes, ones where folk are likely to be on board for 30+ minutes I think they're a good addition (e.g X-Lines), but on routes where folk are on and off in 10 minutes or so I don't see them as being particularly useful. After you get the cable out the bottom of your bag, plug it in, then get it packed away again in time for your stop you've maybe got 3% charge if you're lucky?  

I've made the point before, but in the times I've used buses in cities in Europe they've had comfortable seating, NSAs, and smart interiors - no charging or WiFi that I've noticed. The buses there are well used, with attractive fares and service offerings. I understand that it doesn't exactly line up, but I do think operators in this country have started to put more emphasis on what comes with the bus, than the actual core bus service itself - and I'm not sure that's the right approach. 

Particularly if the bus doesn't take people where they need or want to be. 

I'm of the opinion that they need to look at that and invest time/money in improving the actual network before tables, wifi and chargers.

RE: Fleet Changes - Jimmi - 03 Oct 2021

(03 Oct 2021, 9:01 pm)mb134 I've made the point before, but in the times I've used buses in cities in Europe they've had comfortable seating, NSAs, and smart interiors - no charging or WiFi that I've noticed. The buses there are well used, with attractive fares and service offerings. I understand that it doesn't exactly line up, but I do think operators in this country have started to put more emphasis on what comes with the bus, than the actual core bus service itself - and I'm not sure that's the right approach.

I feel like priorities in regards to public transport are a bit backwards in the UK these days, feels like the features are more important than the actual bus service these days, a lot of bus adverts now are saying lines like "cruise into town with our free WiFi" rather than advertising things to do along the route.

I honestly think binning off some of these features especially on shorter routes would actually be beneficial in some form to cut costs as I do wonder what percentage are using public transport purely on the bus having WiFi? Stagecoach has had WiFi disabled on the vast majority of its fleet for the last 12 months and I do wonder what impacts its REALLY had on passenger numbers as I can't see it being many, First might as well not have it with how low their data limit is but must still cost them a fortune just to have it.

Think the big influence of those like Ray Stenning of Best Impressions has led to operators feeling they need to have a livery that creates... desire... *shudders* and features are a MUST, yet Stagecoach despite how much enthusiasts twist about how revolting their new liveries are still seem to be doing about the best for numbers across the UK, admittedly the market isn't the same in all parts of the UK but you look at them (and Arriva) doing very little but still seems like they're doing better than those that are being more proactive with their fleets and service changes.

Could you imagine the reactions now if some buses were going round like they were around 15 or so years ago, I had Olympains and the like turn up with about 10 different moquettes at times and I can't imagine it dented numbers too badly, granted presentation should be kept up to a degree but I think the thing that needs to be worked on is actually provided a reliable service, can tart it up all you want but if that high spec Bus fails to turn up most days...?!

(03 Oct 2021, 9:36 pm)Andreos1 Particularly if the bus doesn't take people where they need or want to be. 

I'm of the opinion that they need to look at that and invest time/money in improving the actual network before tables, wifi and chargers.
I think USB-C's/Wireless Charging will be the major ones tbh. They do bring me to use GNE, as I need those chargers for my phone really. WIFI not so much. 

But I do think the ability to charge ur phone will being people to the bus.

(03 Oct 2021, 9:40 pm)Jimmi Could you imagine the reactions now if some buses were going round like they were around 15 or so years ago, I had Olympains and the like turn up with about 10 different moquettes at times and I can't imagine it dented numbers too badly, granted presentation should be kept up to a degree but I think the thing that needs to be worked on is actually provided a reliable service, can tart it up all you want but if that high spec Bus fails to turn up most days...?!
Going to this Olympian comments, they used to have loads of different patterns, aswell as Caetano Compass and some of the older SPD's, no one cared really but if that happened now...oh god help us. 

While I do think Reliability is key. I mean look at the 65 that reliability has fell through the roof since it got the 15' Plates. However just reliability isn't enough. Oh we are going to run a service Every 30 mins, and don't worry it will run to timetable mostly is the minimum people expect for it to atleast turn up. I think USB-C/Wireless/Tables will bring the people to use the buses.