North East Buses
Fleet Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Fleet Changes (/showthread.php?tid=3443)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

RE: Fleet Changes - Storx - 10 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 8:15 am)cbma06 What will happen when the consett xlines services frequency start to increase again, would there paint those spares xlines buses into the TVT and then back to Xlines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would they be increasing the frequency again, none of the changes there were temporary and are all permanent changes.

Keep seeing people post buses are full with most single seats taken (which isn't full) but surely that's what a bus operator wants... If you add another bus to the PVR then it's likely 1/3 full or 2/3 empty.

Fleet Changes - cbma06 - 10 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 9:15 am)Storx Why would they be increasing the frequency again, none of the changes there were temporary and are all permanent changes.

Keep seeing people post buses are full with most single seats taken (which isn't full) but surely that's what a bus operator wants... If you add another bus to the PVR then it's likely 1/3 full or 2/3 empty.

I’m not saying that the services would increase next week or next month or next year, I’m saying if those services do pick up again in the future , temporary and permanent are just the the same word in GNE mental of state

(10 Sep 2022, 9:50 am)cbma06 I’m not saying that the services would increase next week or next month or next year, I’m saying if those services do pick up again in the future , temporary and permanent are just the the same word in GNE mental of state

Aye that's fair but surely it's better to be using the 67/20/70 plate Streetdeck's during that time on a proper route rather than effectively acting as spares for everything and anything.

If they do increase it I'm sure they could nab something from elsewhere if needed. The Ten is a quite popular route (arguably more so than the Consett services) and the B9's are getting on a bit on there especially since they've never been refurbished. (Not sure the PVR is enough mind, haven't checked).

RE: Fleet Changes - Unber43 - 10 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 9:57 am)Storx Aye that's fair but surely it's better to be using the 67/20/70 plate Streetdeck's during that time on a proper route rather than effectively acting as spares for everything and anything.

If they do increase it I'm sure they could nab something from elsewhere if needed. The Ten is a quite popular route (arguably more so than the Consett services) and the B9's are getting on a bit on there especially since they've never been refurbished. (Not sure the PVR is enough mind, haven't checked).
10/A/B PVR is 13-14

RE: Fleet Changes - Andreos1 - 10 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 9:57 am)Storx Aye that's fair but surely it's better to be using the 67/20/70 plate Streetdeck's during that time on a proper route rather than effectively acting as spares for everything and anything.

Would numbers on the 10 grow as a result of these vehicles being allocated to the route?

Part of me wonders if the under-investment in the less popular routes, leads to that downward spiral/lack of passengers/demand we keep seeing and if there was a switch in mindset (ie investment in those less popular routes in an effort to grow it), it may reverse that cycle.

RE: Fleet Changes - Rob44 - 10 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 11:19 am)Andreos1 Would numbers on the 10 grow as a result of these vehicles being allocated to the route?

Part of me wonders if the under-investment in the less popular routes, leads to that downward spiral/lack of passengers/demand we keep seeing and if there was a switch in mindset (ie investment in those less popular routes in an effort to grow it), it may reverse that cycle.

100% this.  If the electric buses are much much much cheaper to run why not stick them on routes like the 28/28b/29 and other when the savings on fuel would offset the loses made buy the diesel buses and i'm sure if people in kibblesworth, ouston etc saw them, received a leaflet drop about them or had all 8 of them parked in the SoHo tavern car park this would increase patronage 10 fold!

(10 Sep 2022, 11:19 am)Andreos1 Would numbers on the 10 grow as a result of these vehicles being allocated to the route?

Yeah definitely imo and even if it didn't grow the route, it might not let passengers numbers drop at least. I know I say I don't care about USB's etc but I do care about scruffy buses which haven't been refurbished or been touched in years, added with longer routes, more expensive than driving etc there's not much incentive to use them really.

The 10 imo badly needs better vehicles or at least the B9's refurbished properly - talking Cobalt and Coast not replacing the seat covers especially for the length of some journeys. GNE should do a MAX type refurbishment which Arriva done and get shot of the blue interior on everything that's staying for at least a couple of years. It's a horrid, cold and outdated interior imo. Transdev are great at making old buses like B7's look much newer like the 36 and CityZap examples which both got done to high standard.

(10 Sep 2022, 11:40 am)Rob44 100% this.  If the electric buses are much much much cheaper to run why not stick them on routes like the 28/28b/29 and other when the savings on fuel would offset the loses made buy the diesel buses and i'm sure if people in kibblesworth, ouston etc saw them, received a leaflet drop about them or had all 8 of them parked in the SoHo tavern car park this would increase patronage 10 fold!

Electric buses can't run longer routes as their battery capacity are crap so can't do longer without needing a charge midday or taking a risk - they're a bit of a gimmick atm and not sure their the long term answer (that's Hydrogen imo). Not sure whether they could do the 28 etc but could imagine it would be quite tight mileage wise believe they can do 200 mile or so.

RE: Fleet Changes - F114TML - 10 Sep 2022

Yeah, especially when Wrightbus are claiming the hydrogen version of the GB Kite will be able to do up to 600 miles on a single change/tank, although I'd like to see it actually do that before making judgement. ADL claim the E400 FCEV will be able to do 300, which is a much more reasonable estimate (and nearly double the E400EV).

For short city services, electric is fine, but for the rest I think we need hydrogen - via CNG/biogas.

Edit: Wrightbus have it seems revised their claim, and say 640-650 miles, although the one they actually built says 450. Either way, it's still much better than a BEV*.
https://wrightbus.com/en-gb/gb-kite-hydroliner-fcev

*Following manufacturer's quotes:
E200EV and E400EV - 160 miles
GB Kite EV - 250
StreetDeck EV - 200
Solo EV and Metrocity EV - 150-190
Yutong E12 - 230 (presumably the same for the E10 but that page doesn't say)

RE: Fleet Changes - Rob44 - 10 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 11:59 am)Storx Electric buses can't run longer routes as their battery capacity are crap so can't do longer without needing a charge midday or taking a risk - they're a bit of a gimmick atm and not sure their the long term answer (that's Hydrogen imo). Not sure whether they could do the 28 etc but could imagine it would be quite tight mileage wise believe they can do 200 mile or so.

very true. but what about the green arrow buses on the 97?  Surely they would save money on routes when they arn't even breaking even? I agree hydrogen is the way forward though

(10 Sep 2022, 12:12 pm)F114TML Yeah, especially when Wrightbus are claiming the hydrogen version of the GB Kite will be able to do up to 600 miles on a single change/tank, although I'd like to see it actually do that before making judgement. ADL claim the E400 FCEV will be able to do 300, which is a much more reasonable estimate (and nearly double the E400EV).

For short city services, electric is fine, but for the rest I think we need hydrogen - via CNG/biogas.

Edit: Wrightbus have it seems revised their claim, and say 640-650 miles, although the one they actually built says 450. Either way, it's still much better than a BEV.
https://wrightbus.com/en-gb/gb-kite-hydroliner-fcev

Aye, to be fair I don't see why it's not doable they do similar to Diesel pretty much so it's just a like for like replacement, not to mention the big bonus that there's been examples of diesel vehicles been converted which is a massive gain. I'm surprised they aren't designing new diesel buses with provision in place so it can be done tbh.

The biggest benefit is though is if it ran out, it can pop into the depot fill up in 20 seconds and be back out - it's not ideal but it's certainly better than sitting around all night on a charger getting charged up - which is a problem in itself, where's all the space for that going to come from at the tighter depots ie. Washington.

(10 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm)Rob44 very true. but what about the green arrow buses on the 97?  Surely they would save money on routes when they arn't even breaking even? I agree hydrogen is the way forward though

Aye they should be doable, tbh it's one thing I always like about Arriva is they tend to buy new buses for all types of routes and then run them to the ground on that route rather than buying new buses for one route then having handydowns over and over again.

The new Enviro 200 MMC's for the 46/51/55/57/57A and Enviro 400 MMC's for the X14 and X20 being prime examples - those routes would never get newer buses if it was ran by GNE or if they did they get them took away for elsewhere - see North Tyneside or the 47/X47 which are similar routes really. I know it's all about internal issues though as they wouldn't have the case internally to get the vehicles in the first place with GNE.

imo if you have the same type of bus on your route then they never really get old per say like the Gemini's at Blyth still feel alright to me and that's because they've been there since new. If we suddenly got them 3/4 through their life they're old and scruffy.

RE: Fleet Changes - F114TML - 10 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 12:18 pm)Storx Aye, to be fair I don't see why it's not doable they do similar to Diesel pretty much so it's just a like for like replacement, not to mention the big bonus that there's been examples of diesel vehicles been converted which is a massive gain. I'm surprised they aren't designing new diesel buses with provision in place so it can be done tbh.

The biggest benefit is though is if it ran out, it can pop into the depot fill up in 20 seconds and be back out - it's not ideal but it's certainly better than sitting around all night on a charger getting charged up - which is a problem in itself, where's all the space for that going to come from at the tighter depots ie. Washington.

I'm assuming you're talking about the range for a hydro bus? If so, I think for me it's just the stark difference between the single deck Kite and the double deck StreetDeck/E400 - it's more than double.

RE: Fleet Changes - streetdeckfan - 10 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 12:18 pm)Storx Aye, to be fair I don't see why it's not doable they do similar to Diesel pretty much so it's just a like for like replacement, not to mention the big bonus that there's been examples of diesel vehicles been converted which is a massive gain. I'm surprised they aren't designing new diesel buses with provision in place so it can be done tbh.

Aye they should be doable, tbh it's one thing I always like about Arriva is they tend to buy new buses for all types of routes and then run them to the ground on that route rather than buying new buses for one route then having handydowns over and over again.

The new Enviro 200 MMC's for the 46/51/55/57/57A and Enviro 400 MMC's for the X14 and X20 being prime examples - those routes would never get newer buses if it was ran by GNE or if they did they get them took away for elsewhere - see North Tyneside or the 47/X47 which are similar routes really. I know it's all about internal issues though as they wouldn't have the case internally to get the vehicles in the first place with GNE.

imo if you have the same type of bus on your route then they never really get old per say like the Gemini's at Blyth still feel alright to me and that's because they've been there since new. If we suddenly got them 3/4 through their life they're old and scruffy.
On a 350kW rapid charger (assuming they're cable), they can probably get back up to 80% charge in 1.5-2 hours

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

RE: Fleet Changes - Retro Nero - 10 Sep 2022

Just out of curiosity what vehicles were fleet numbers 5505 & 5506 .

RE: Fleet Changes - wibblejunior - 10 Sep 2022

Ex-Metrobus Omnicities YN08 OAS and YN58 BNA (I think)

RE: Fleet Changes - Rapidsnap - 10 Sep 2022

You are indeed correct Wibble.

5505 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/51171378634
5506 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/51170824478

RE: Fleet Changes - Retro Nero - 11 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 10:33 pm)Rapidsnap You are indeed correct Wibble.

5505 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/51171378634
5506 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/51170824478
Yes remember now, thank you

RE: Fleet Changes - morritt89 - 12 Sep 2022

2 Red Kite Streetdecks have appeared at Deptford this morning.

RE: Fleet Changes - deanmachine - 12 Sep 2022

(12 Sep 2022, 9:34 am)morritt89 2 Red Kite Streetdecks have appeared at Deptford this morning.

Hopefully they'll be put to use on the 20.

Fleet Changes - cbma06 - 12 Sep 2022

(12 Sep 2022, 9:34 am)morritt89 2 Red Kite Streetdecks have appeared at Deptford this morning.

change the wording on the side, and have it as x56 , park lane to concord normal route then non stop between concord and Heworth then non stop between heworth and Gateshead, hourly of pvr2, then if needed back at consett for the x45/x46 then doesn’t need painting again, might pick up passengers for faster journeys between hub points.

RE: Fleet Changes - Unber43 - 12 Sep 2022

(12 Sep 2022, 12:54 pm)cbma06 change the wording on the side, and have it as x56 , park lane to concord normal route then non stop between concord and Heworth then non stop between heworth and Gateshead, hourly of pvr2, then if needed back at consett for the x45/x46 then doesn’t need painting again, might pick up passengers for faster journeys between hub points.

Really you could put the X1 back to every 12 mins, send 1 of them to Washington repaint, send 3x to Consett for the X45/X71/2 Spares because you could have the X45 run every 20 mins, and one of them just does X45 with 10 min layover either end or something. 

Then the other 4 with 6331 could be sent on this every 30 mins X56 - Newcastle - Gateshead - Heworth - Follingsby - Concord - A690 - Sunderland with a possibly extension to Ryhope and Seaham hourly.

(12 Sep 2022, 12:18 pm)deanmachine Hopefully they'll be put to use on the 20.
The 20 has been rammed lately when I've been passing it