North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - deanmachine - 30 Jan 2024

(30 Jan 2024, 1:12 am)nova347 I've noticed on the GNE website, GNE has full-time and part-time options for drivers, does anyone know how many hours the part-time job is?

They're usually 3 days, so probably about 24 hours.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - morritt89 - 30 Jan 2024

(30 Jan 2024, 1:12 am)nova347 I've noticed on the GNE website, GNE has full-time and part-time options for drivers, does anyone know how many hours the part-time job is?

Minimum of 16 hours over 2 days when I was offered it. Must do at least 1 weekend day (Friday, Saturday or Sunday).

There is (or was) term time only scholars duties which were 20 hours per week on split shifts.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Iamtheone8483748 - 04 Feb 2024

"Due to a paint spillage on the Service 47, the 12:10 Service from Blackhall Mill will not operate. Sorry for any inconvenience caused."

That's a new one

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 04 Feb 2024

It was 6048, 6341 replaced it from Blackhall and ran to the metro almost 40 mins late. Turned around at metro to be on time and is heading back to Consett

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 04 Feb 2024

(04 Feb 2024, 12:44 pm)Iamtheone8483748 "Due to a paint spillage on the Service 47, the 12:10 Service from Blackhall Mill will not operate. Sorry for any inconvenience caused."

That's a new one

Suppose there's not much you can do in that instance, other than take the bus out of service and go for damage limitation.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 06 Feb 2024

(04 Feb 2024, 12:44 pm)Iamtheone8483748 "Due to a paint spillage on the Service 47, the 12:10 Service from Blackhall Mill will not operate. Sorry for any inconvenience caused."

That's a new one

I've seen loads of people not being allowed on buses with paint - maybe this is why!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 06 Feb 2024

I've had a pint spillage on my bus before. Pulled up to a bus stop and the tub fell off the seat.
[Image: 20230216_1337052.jpg]

For some reason the person whose paint it was scarpered with an Irish exit. I wonder why. Wish I'd seen the clean up of that.

(06 Feb 2024, 9:54 am)Rob44 I've seen loads of people not being allowed on buses with paint - maybe this is why!
Generally speaking it's fine if it's sealed, preferably also in a bag, but ultimately it's driver discression. In any case, the passenger is expected to ensure it's safe and secure, ie not going to fall over when the bus is cornering or braking.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 15 Mar 2024

Eighton Lodge roundabout is closed (Southbound) all weekend from 8pm Friday 22nd March until 6am on Monday 25th March as part of the A1 upgrade works but this will obviously impact GNE considerably 

Nothing as of yet on the GNE website but in terms of impact to buses if they follow normal process (they may do something different)

21 - will divert via it's evening diversion through Lamesley - Smithy Lane - Allerdene - return to normal route and vice versa for Durham/CLS bound journies

X21 will have to go through Birtley and take same diversion going towards Newcastle or omit Low Fell and go via Mill House, Eighton Banks, Wrekenton, Old Durham Road (could then travel down through Allerdene to normal route)

Return journey unaffected

28 - Northbound - via same diversion as 21 but continuing to Wrekenton
Southbound - from Wrekenton - via Allerdene - Smithy Lane - Lamesley then normal route

Areas without service as a result 
Angel of the North, Long Bank, Eighton Banks (lower) upper still served by 25 and 81

81 - no impact

Arriva
X12 - god knows!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 15 Mar 2024

21 was doing this last night. Got shock of my life when an angle turned left at the mini round a bout next to dhillons chip shop

Also 5 buses melissing today on arriva northumbria service 43 44 45 I assume as for a really angry text from my mate from the rigg. Worst thing was the they ones they said were still running didntbturnnupnwither

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 15 Mar 2024

(15 Mar 2024, 4:38 pm)Ambassador Eighton Lodge roundabout is closed (Southbound) all weekend from 8pm Friday 22nd March until 6am on Monday 25th March as part of the A1 upgrade works but this will obviously impact GNE considerably 

Nothing as of yet on the GNE website but in terms of impact to buses if they follow normal process (they may do something different)

21 - will divert via it's evening diversion through Lamesley - Smithy Lane - Allerdene - return to normal route and vice versa for Durham/CLS bound journies

X21 will have to go through Birtley and take same diversion going towards Newcastle or omit Low Fell and go via Mill House, Eighton Banks, Wrekenton, Old Durham Road (could then travel down through Allerdene to normal route)

Southbound - from Wrekenton - via Allerdene - Smithy Lane - Lamesley then normal route

Angel of the North, Long Bank, Eighton Banks (lower) upper still served by 25 and 81

81 - no impact

Arriva
X12 - god knows!

Reminded me of the time a decker followed me heading south from Harlow Green to the roundabout. 
It was closed then too and the driver obviously didn't get the memo. 

It ended up sneaking on the motorway and the driver didn't look convinced about where he was going or where he would end up. 

I wanted to slow right down and let it overtake me or get close so I could see where it went, but I didn't have all night.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 15 Mar 2024

(15 Mar 2024, 4:38 pm)Ambassador Eighton Lodge roundabout is closed (Southbound) all weekend from 8pm Friday 22nd March until 6am on Monday 25th March as part of the A1 upgrade works but this will obviously impact GNE considerably 

81 - no impact

Arriva
X12 - god knows!

Couldn't the X21, go down Chowdene Bank and join the A1 at Team Valley instead if it wanted to do both? Can't see why it couldn't. It'd be quicker than going around the world along Smithy Lane etc.

Edit: Will the X21 be affected at all? It's the South side of the junction that's shut? So assume they'll be able to access the A1 in both directions?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 15 Mar 2024

(15 Mar 2024, 7:41 pm)Storx Couldn't the X21, go down Chowdene Bank and join the A1 at Team Valley instead if it wanted to do both? Can't see why it couldn't. It'd be quicker than going around the world along Smithy Lane etc.

Edit: Will the X21 be affected at all? It's the South side of the junction that's shut? So assume they'll be able to access the A1 in both directions?

The issue would be they can’t leave the A1 at Eighton Lodge so would have to go through Birtley and take a longer route to Low Fell unless it omits low fell. It’s fine heading southbound

The letter the highways folk have shows the roundabout fully closed southside which according to them is the Birtley side (which in carriageway terms is actually northbound)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 15 Mar 2024

Couldnt the X21 just come off at A194(M) turn off and go through Felling BYpass?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 16 Mar 2024

(15 Mar 2024, 10:14 pm)Ambassador The issue would be they can’t leave the A1 at Eighton Lodge so would have to go through Birtley and take a longer route to Low Fell unless it omits low fell. It’s fine heading southbound

The letter the highways folk have shows the roundabout fully closed southside which according to them is the Birtley side (which in carriageway terms is actually northbound)

Get you, must admit the information online isn't clear at all. 

Someone saying the roundabout which all the information online says being closed, I'd assume would be literally just the roundabout with the slips all open so all traffic travelling around the roundabout would be effectively forced onto the A1(S) rather than towards Eighton Banks.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 16 Mar 2024

As we are all in a happy partnership these days, wouldn't the better thing to do be organising ticket acceptance with Arriva between Bishop and West Auckland and then they can turn the inevitable late running X21s at Bishop Auckland? The X21 can barely run on time as it is

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 16 Mar 2024

(15 Mar 2024, 11:20 pm)Unber43 Couldnt the X21 just come off at A194(M) turn off and go through Felling BYpass?

Then it wouldn't be a to serve the Cannon for the 3 people who need it. 

And I do hope that this makes national news, just like the bit of M25 that is closed. It's vitally important that millions of people who are unlikely to ever use that junction know about the inconvenience they will have to suffer.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 16 Mar 2024

(16 Mar 2024, 12:34 pm)BusLoverMum Then it wouldn't be a to serve the Cannon for the 3 people who need it. 

And I do hope that this makes national news, just like the bit of M25 that is closed. It's vitally important that millions of people who are unlikely to ever use that junction know about the inconvenience they will have to suffer.

The X21 hugely helps getting people to the Fwll during the peak as the 21 is so unreliable, more so with Durham bound journeys.

If the 21 was properly managed with a reliable fleet there’d be no need for X21 to serve low fell but I don’t see that happening

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 16 Mar 2024

(16 Mar 2024, 9:27 pm)Ambassador The X21 hugely helps getting people to the Fwll during the peak as the 21 is so unreliable, more so with Durham bound journeys.

If the 21 was properly managed with a reliable fleet there’d be no need for X21 to serve low fell but I don’t see that happening

imo the 21 should be curtailed at CLS, with an extra X21 running instead which could then interwork with the 6 at the Southern end of the route which is an mess (timetabled to follow each other). Most people would have a stop to Durham anyway because of the limited stop nature of the X12 serving most places.

Also throw an extra bus into the X21 aswell and give an extra 5 minutes per bus as the 4 minute layover for the length of the route is stupid, as an understatement.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - L469 YVK - 16 Mar 2024

(16 Mar 2024, 10:03 pm)Storx imo the 21 should be curtailed at CLS, with an extra X21 running instead which could then interwork with the 6 at the Southern end of the route which is an mess (timetabled to follow each other). Most people would have a stop to Durham anyway because of the limited stop nature of the X12 serving most places.

Also throw an extra bus into the X21 aswell and give an extra 5 minutes per bus as the 4 minute layover for the length of the route is stupid, as an understatement.

How can extra X21's run when GNE don't even have vehicles available to run the current 21/X21 never mind extras.

With full heights going on the X71/X72 (StreetDecks), 6x E400MMC from Consett + 6102 need shifted to Riverside alongside existing 6352-55 and 6377. Would sort a lot of the vehicle quality & reliability issues out.

StreetDeck:
- 6356-60 - Consett - X71/X72 (and non low height decker boards)
- 6361 - Consett - Spare
- 6362-63 - Riverside - Spare but no use on X10
- 6377 - Riverside - X10/X21

E400MMC:
- 6336-37 - Consett - Spare
- 6338-45 - Consett - X30/X31/X45
- 6346-55 - Riverside - X10/X21

B9TL:
- 6102 - Riverside - X10/X21

Note that Consett would still have sufficient spares (currently have 3x E400MMC covering a PVR of 19x for X30/X31/X45/47/X71/X72). 

Riverside would have a lot more flexibility especially with suitable vehicles to cover the X10. Any issues found, another E400MMC gets put on for the day or swapped over with a suitable spare in place filling in on the X21.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 17 Mar 2024

(16 Mar 2024, 11:12 pm)L469 YVK How can extra X21's run when GNE don't even have vehicles available to run the current 21/X21 never mind extras.

With full heights going on the X71/X72 (StreetDecks), 6x E400MMC from Consett + 6102 need shifted to Riverside alongside existing 6352-55 and 6377. Would sort a lot of the vehicle quality & reliability issues out.

StreetDeck:
- 6356-60 - Consett - X71/X72 (and non low height decker boards)
- 6361 - Consett - Spare
- 6362-63 - Riverside - Spare but no use on X10
- 6377 - Riverside - X10/X21

E400MMC:
- 6336-37 - Consett - Spare
- 6338-45 - Consett - X30/X31/X45
- 6346-55 - Riverside - X10/X21

B9TL:
- 6102 - Riverside - X10/X21

Note that Consett would still have sufficient spares (currently have 3x E400MMC covering a PVR of 19x for X30/X31/X45/47/X71/X72). 

Riverside would have a lot more flexibility especially with suitable vehicles to cover the X10. Any issues found, another E400MMC gets put on for the day or swapped over with a suitable spare in place filling in on the X21.

It sounds like an absolutely terrible plan having 6336 and 6337 as spares for the X10 and X21 when they can barely manage to run the Consett express services (the latter having spent most of its time at GNE off the road than on!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk