North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MurdnunoC - 19 Mar 2022

(19 Mar 2022, 6:14 pm)Adrian Just spotted this on twitter

Your next options are a four-hour wait until 21.20 as far as Maften or a six-hour wait 23.20 beyond there. No alternative options provided, so that is some wait for those who aren't travelling direct to Hexham.

Dreadful.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 19 Mar 2022

They really ought to remove that thanks to our recruitment efforts there’ll be much less disruption line that leads into a list of what must be 3 figures of cancellations.

Unavoidable but it’s not ideal for a business that is desperately trying to attract leisure passengers and those priced out of using their car at the moment. Just further knocks confidence as when your bus does turn up it’s likely to be rammed.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 19 Mar 2022

Your next options are a four-hour wait until 21.20 as far as Maften or a six-hour wait 23.20 beyond there. No alternative options provided, so that is some wait for those who aren't travelling direct to Hexham.
I'd imagine a fair part of the route struggles for a decent phone signal as well.
Pity anyone standing waiting somewhere remote and in the middle of nowhere.

(19 Mar 2022, 7:01 pm)Ambassador They really ought to remove that thanks to our recruitment efforts there’ll be much less disruption line that leads into a list of what must be 3 figures of cancellations.

Unavoidable but it’s not ideal for a  business that is desperately trying to attract leisure passengers and those priced out of using their car at the moment. Just further knocks confidence as when your bus does turn up it’s likely to be rammed.
I'd thought similar with the Ouseburn stuff. Prime leisure area and they're cutting off a potential source of revenue for those travelling from beyond St Peters Basin.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Charles41 - 19 Mar 2022

So let's say you work in Newcastle and live in Matfen. How are you supposed to get home? Absolutely disgusting. Is it any suprise that private hire companies are taking so much business.

Charles

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 19 Mar 2022

(19 Mar 2022, 7:41 pm)Charles41 So let's say you work in Newcastle and live in Matfen. How are you supposed to get home? Absolutely disgusting. Is it any suprise that private hire companies are taking so much business.

Charles

Maften would be a good £30-£35 in a taxi from Newcastle, so an expensive journey home or long wait for someone making that trip.

I'm really surprised that nothing has been put in place for a service that is so infrequent, such as diverting resource from the 10 or 684. There's not even any way for those who may be stuck waiting or somewhere to make contact with the operator.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 19 Mar 2022

The 74 had a run cancelled last week, i think, too. Definitely saw the announcement in twitter. I would have thought that everything possible would be done to not touch infrequent and remote routes like this.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 20 Mar 2022

"operational reasons" is not an excuse, either. it adds nothing more to the update than "it's cancelled because it's cancelled"

it's a phrase that needs to be banished from public transport...Metro use it frequently too.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 20 Mar 2022

(20 Mar 2022, 12:25 am)omnicity4659 "operational reasons" is not an excuse, either. it adds nothing more to the update than "it's cancelled because it's cancelled"

it's a phrase that needs to be banished from public transport...Metro use it frequently too.

It's as if they don't realise passengers would be more understanding of cancellations if they knew the reason for the cancellation.

To me, 'operational reasons' sounds like the cancellation was a choice for the benefit of the company rather than a necessity, as in they chose to cancel that service as they can make more money using that bus/driver on another route, rather than they had to cancel it because of a breakdown.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Train8261 - 20 Mar 2022

Felt sorry for anyone who wanted the 12.50 X1 to any further than Washington Galleries as it displayed on the board that the bus would go to Peterlee yet came in as a X1 to The Galleries yet noticed was mention on the website. What's the point in putting short notice cancelled buses out to the public when half of them aren't even listed

Stand was really full and I just knew the next X1 would come in saying the Galleries

Disruptions and driver shortages - MVK 500R - 20 Mar 2022

To me, GNE are quickly becoming an absolute sh*tshow of a bus company. Took my daughter to Beamish yesterday. Had a brilliant day until it came to getting home as the 14:30 28 back to Newcastle never showed, and there was nothing on Twitter or Facebook about it being cancelled. It's getting to the point where I'm now actively trying to avoid using GNE because of how unreliable they are.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Wybus - 20 Mar 2022

I was in the area yesterday and it was clear there was a lot of lost mileage by the amount of buses parked on layover

Firstly in Sunderland around lunchtime, parked up in the Interchange were 3 Cherries, 2 56s, 2 Prince Bishops and 2 GNE buses displaying 9 Jarrow. So that’s at least 9 boards not running

Then a bit later in Washington it was a similar situation, the layover area had 2 X Lines, 2 Connections 4s, a normal livery bus probably from a 50 and a Little Pinks

And then late afternoon in Chester le Street there were buses strewn all over town. A Versa parked up on Front Street, another Versa and an Angel parked up by Tesco, and another Angel and an X21 parked on a side street where I’ve never seen buses parked before. The 21 I caught in the direction of Brandon, had to be taken by a/the leading driver as there was no normal drive relief.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 20 Mar 2022

(20 Mar 2022, 10:59 am)Wybus I was in the area yesterday and it was clear there was a lot of lost mileage by the amount of buses parked on layover

Firstly in Sunderland around lunchtime, parked up in the Interchange were 3 Cherries, 2 56s, 2 Prince Bishops and 2 GNE buses displaying 9 Jarrow. So that’s at least 9 boards not running

Then a bit later in Washington it was a similar situation, the layover area had 2 X Lines, 2 Connections 4s, a normal livery bus probably from a 50 and a Little Pinks

And then late afternoon in Chester le Street there were buses strewn all over town. A Versa parked up on Front Street, another Versa and an Angel parked up by Tesco, and another Angel and an X21 parked on a side street where I’ve never seen buses parked before. The 21 I caught in the direction of Brandon, had to be taken by a/the leading driver as there was no normal drive relief.
At least those ones were out the way. I was waiting for a 61 a few weeks ago, it came in, stopped in the bus stand at Park Lane (complete with board set to '61 Murton'), driver got off and another one didn't turn up (the driver was clearly oblivious to the fact the next journey had been cancelled).

Cue the bus that was following to come in and now being unable to use the stand. Dropped people off somewhere else, parked in the bays at the back and the driver had to (or more probably decided to) walk over to take the bus sat in the stand.

No communication from anyone until I went into the footnote on the website and found the cancelled bus.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Stanleyone - 20 Mar 2022

As a now ex-employee of GNE, its no surprise there's buses missing. Yes there has been a massive influx of new drivers, 10 of which started in the week prior to my departure. Some of these drivers found themselves on the big bus work within a week of starting, in my opinion they need to bed in on minibus or low cost work before transitioning on to the busy services. More pressure and stress makes the job harder, couple with that these drivers are still on bottom rate for at least 2 years. Staff sickness / Turnover at Consett where I worked was unbelievable, but when those who have every weekend off and wont pitch in to help its not surprising that moral is at rock bottom.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - busmanT - 20 Mar 2022

(18 Mar 2022, 9:45 pm)Unber43 The X1 to every 12 mins shouldn't go ahead, from Washington Depot they might aswell just publish which service on the 4/50/26/X1 will run instead of what won't. There wasn't a 26 for over 2 1/2 hours the other night from South Sheilds

Plenty of spare staff from Percy Main come next Sunday - the loss of the 11 (4 buses), 42/42A (5 buses), the cut back 41 (1 bus) and the cut back 19 (1 buses) is 11 buses less, plus the 1, 19 and 311 are reduced at night. Must be 25 or so drivers spare to cover work from other depots.

Plus Riverside loses the 2 buses off the 33/33A and 1 off the Q3 so must be close to another 10 drivers less required there.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 20 Mar 2022

(20 Mar 2022, 11:24 am)Stanleyone As a now ex-employee of GNE, its no surprise there's buses missing. Yes there has been a massive influx of new drivers, 10 of which started in the week prior to my departure. Some of these drivers found themselves on the big bus work within a week of starting, in my opinion they need to bed in on minibus or low cost work before transitioning on to the busy services. More pressure and stress makes the job harder, couple with that these drivers are still on bottom rate for at least 2 years. Staff sickness / Turnover at Consett where I worked was unbelievable, but when those who have every weekend off and wont pitch in to help its not surprising that moral is at rock bottom.
Even the buses on the small bus rota e.g X20 get rammed at Durham and Sunderland.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 20 Mar 2022

(20 Mar 2022, 11:24 am)Stanleyone As a now ex-employee of GNE, its no surprise there's buses missing. Yes there has been a massive influx of new drivers, 10 of which started in the week prior to my departure. Some of these drivers found themselves on the big bus work within a week of starting, in my opinion they need to bed in on minibus or low cost work before transitioning on to the busy services. More pressure and stress makes the job harder, couple with that these drivers are still on bottom rate for at least 2 years. Staff sickness / Turnover at Consett where I worked was unbelievable, but when those who have every weekend off and wont pitch in to help its not surprising that moral is at rock bottom.

It seems to me GNE are still losing drivers as fast as they can train new ones, with quite a few people I knew at GNE leaving in just the last few months.
In fact, I don't think I know any GNE drivers any more (which tbh is a relief because there's nothing more awkward for me than getting on a bus and knowing the driver!)

I don't even think I know anyone in customer services anymore. Although, from my experiences with customer services (at least with the live chat), there only seems to be two people working there now!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jimmi - 20 Mar 2022

(20 Mar 2022, 10:59 am)Wybus I was in the area yesterday and it was clear there was a lot of lost mileage by the amount of buses parked on layover

CLS really seemed to be struggling yesterday, was in Durham yesterday morning and the 11am 21 was terminating at CLS, the X21 at 11:16 was about 10 minutes behind schedule and 6335 disappeared off the face of the earth around CLS, I caught the 11:46 X21 off Durham to Newcastle which was rather busy, upon arrival in CLS we were pretty much full on 6334 then was surprised to see a StreetDeck also heading to Newcastle on the X21 which at first I thought was a dupe but it turned out to be the replacement for 6335 on the previous X21 which followed us to Newcastle, passed loads of people heading through Low Fell, was a large crowd getting on at The Cannon, certainly seemed to be gaps in 21's... upon arrival at Eldon Square I could barely move due to the queues around the X21 & 21 stands, intending passengers didn't look impressed when 6334 was approaching the stand but were tricked as it went on layover for 20 mins as intended.

On my return to Durham saw a large crowd waiting for 21/X21/50 and were there for some time as:
16:31 21 didn't operate
16:46 X21 terminated at CLS
17:01 21 ran light from Brandon to CLS due to delays

Meanwhile the 50 disappeared off the face of the earth south of Washington with the following departures from Durham being cancelled or started at Washington yesterday afternoon (according to BusTimes):
12:50 - 13:50 - 14:50 - 15:20 - 16:32 - 17:09 - 17:39

Arriva Darlington is in an absolute state atm with many cancellations including on hourly services like the 8/8A, I'm at my wits end with them as I've struggled to cope with the service being provided as cancellations make it difficult to get anywhere and if by some miracle a bus does turn up its usually rammed due to said cancellations on previous trips and usually a Solo will turn up. Supposedly this is from issues with vehicle availability rather than drivers, not helped windows are being put out most nights atm forcing buses off the road for days, last Saturday supposedly the first service to Barnard Castle from Darlington wasn't until after 10:30 (excluding the 10:01 84 ran by Scarlet Band).

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 20 Mar 2022

(20 Mar 2022, 6:44 pm)Jimmi Arriva Darlington is in an absolute state atm with many cancellations including on hourly services like the 8/8A, I'm at my wits end with them as I've struggled to cope with the service being provided as cancellations make it difficult to get anywhere and if by some miracle a bus does turn up its usually rammed due to said cancellations on previous trips and usually a Solo will turn up. Supposedly this is from issues with vehicle availability rather than drivers, not helped windows are being put out most nights atm forcing buses off the road for days, last Saturday supposedly the first service to Barnard Castle from Darlington wasn't until after 10:30 (excluding the 10:01 84 ran by Scarlet Band).

Yet not a peep out of Arriva - either on Social Media or the website.

GNE are getting a lot of criticism for cancellations and delays at the moment, and rightly so, but I do think that some of it is due to the level of transparency they're offering. Strictly speaking, there's nothing mandating them to publish cancellations or even notify the public of them, but they opt to do so. Some other operators, such as Transdev, are working along the same lines, but others aren't even giving their customers the decency of any information.

Looking at Darlington's 7 yesterday, and at a glance I can see the: 08.02, 10.42, 11.42, 13.22, 14.22 and 16.02 from Darlington didn't run, nor did the 09.24, 12.04, 13.04, 14.44, 15.44 and 17.24 from Durham. Not a single post to tell anyone that was the case.

Its a universal problem without any consistency. There needs to be a lot more done for customers faced with disruption, otherwise you'll never build confidence up with customers.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 20 Mar 2022

Park Lane is a nightmare, there was buses parked in all of the layovers + on the pavements where the 8/78 stands. There was a bus in Stand E. And one in Stand R. absoulte mayhem. God knows how the drivers know which bus is there's when there are like 3 Prince Bishops, 2 56's, a berries, 3 grpahites, 2 9's, a 61 and a 60, a cherry, voilets. Then you have the Coast and Country layovers and the X20 while the 35 leaves the stand.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - mb134 - 20 Mar 2022

It's interesting to see which depots have been impacted by driver shortages more than others. More suburban/rural depots like Hexham, Ashington, and Blyth seem to have coped relatively well.

In contrast, depots like Riverside, Jesmond, Washington, Durham, and Darlington seem to have been very badly impacted at various points.

I wonder if the greater amount of options in these areas is the reason behind this (i.e Jesmond drivers unhappy at Arriva could very simply switch to Stagecoach in Newcastle, or vice versa, whereas realistically most folk living in Ashington aren't going to commute to Gateshead).
Or, if it could be down to the sort of employee you'd tend to find in each area - I'd see those in urban areas as less loyal, more happy to switch jobs, whereas those in rural communities as happy to stay put, or even work more overtime to help their company/community.