North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 10 Jun 2022

(10 Jun 2022, 9:17 am)Ambassador GNE: The 25 is commercially unviable - nobody is using it!

Also GNE: So if we cancel the 21.25 and 23.10 that means if you're out and about you either catch the 22.20 home (and even the oldies aren't finising their pints by then) or erm...

Passengers: never runs that 25, so unreliable - should we just book a taxi Dave?

GNE : Why is nobody using our buses?! Tell you what...lets cancel the last 28A home too and then ask the council for some money to run it!
Same with the 55 & 8. Especially when it isn't even on the website

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MurdnunoC - 10 Jun 2022

(10 Jun 2022, 9:17 am)Ambassador GNE: The 25 is commercially unviable - nobody is using it!

Also GNE: So if we cancel the 21.25 and 23.10 that means if you're out and about you either catch the 22.20 home (and even the oldies aren't finising their pints by then) or erm...

Passengers: never runs that 25, so unreliable - should we just book a taxi Dave?

GNE : Why is nobody using our buses?! Tell you what...lets cancel the last 28A home too and then ask the council for some money to run it!

Sounds like you're preparing a scenario to provide an example of how you could be an asset to the consulting team at 'Shyster Solutions'.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 10 Jun 2022

Haven't checked, but guessing the 4 is affected by driver shortages today. 
That or there's a load of spares out. 
5 (yes 5) currently parked up at The Galleries. There's not enough space in the northbound bay, so one is sticking out on to the exit to the bus station.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MurdnunoC - 10 Jun 2022

(10 Jun 2022, 3:34 pm)Andreos1 Haven't checked, but guessing the 4 is affected by driver shortages today. 
5 (yes 5) currently parked up at The Galleries. There's not enough space in the northbound bay, so one is sticking out on to the exit to the bus station.

Five is too many.

You only need four in a row to win at Connections 4 (from MG Games).

(10 Jun 2022, 3:45 pm)MurdnunoC Five is too many.

You only need four in a row to win at Connections 4 (from MG Games).
They weren't in a row unfortunately.
But I like what you did there!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 10 Jun 2022

(10 Jun 2022, 3:34 pm)Andreos1 Haven't checked, but guessing the 4 is affected by driver shortages today. 

Noticed that when I was over there about an hour ago. Must have been 10+ buses in total. 

I wonder if there's an option to move to the Washington Galleries outstation when Chester-le-Street closes?

(10 Jun 2022, 4:34 pm)Adrian Noticed that when I was over there about an hour ago. Must have been 10+ buses in total. 

I wonder if there's an option to move to the Washington Galleries outstation when Chester-le-Street closes?
Aye, probably that number. To be fair, I think there was one JH decker parked up. They weren't all abandoned GNE vehicles or Mercs.

(10 Jun 2022, 5:21 pm)Andreos1 Aye, probably that number. To be fair, I think there was one JH decker parked up. They weren't all abandoned GNE vehicles or Mercs.

Yeah, the JH decker was in excess of the number I quoted.

Galleries management probably need to do something about that, as it's getting a bit daft now. It prevents people being picked up/dropped off at the bus station.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - ASX_Terranova - 10 Jun 2022

(10 Jun 2022, 5:30 pm)Adrian Yeah, the JH decker was in excess of the number I quoted.

Galleries management probably need to do something about that, as it's getting a bit daft now. It prevents people being picked up/dropped off at the bus station.

I always thought cars werent allowed to drop off or pick up at the top.
Its also a fire evac point from the bus station (not sure if that makes any difference)

(10 Jun 2022, 6:06 pm)ASX_Terranova I always thought cars werent allowed to drop off or pick up at the top.
Its also a fire evac point from the bus station (not sure if that makes any difference)

There's double yellow lines down, but as it's a private and unadopted road, they're unenforceable. The same applies for the bus only restriction through the bus station and the bus link next to the police station. It's more to act as a deterrent for parking and rat-running by the landowner (Galleries/Prudential). Drop offs and pick ups have happened there for decades though - even when the old bus station was there.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 14 Jun 2022

Shortages out of CLS seem somewhat underestimated today.

Left the car at home and waited 30 mins at 7am for a 21. 4 weren’t tracking and the obviously two turned up. Packed,

Heading back home this afternoon there were equally huge gaps and it appears lots of Durham runs were cut with my 16.12 ex Newcastle pulling into stops and apologising there’s no drivers for Durham as it’s tracking as a Durham bus ex Newcastle buy curtailing at CLS.

Yet nothing on cancellations

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jimmi - 14 Jun 2022

(14 Jun 2022, 3:38 pm)Ambassador Shortages out of CLS seem somewhat underestimated today.

Left the car at home and waited 30 mins at 7am for a 21. 4 weren’t tracking and the obviously two turned up. Packed,

Heading back home this afternoon there were equally huge gaps and it appears lots of Durham runs were cut with my 16.12 ex Newcastle pulling into stops and apologising there’s no drivers for Durham as it’s tracking as a Durham bus ex Newcastle buy curtailing at CLS.

The services were an absolute farce yesterday as well,

I had to use a few 21's as multiple trips on the 25 were cancelled (including one with no notice of a cancellation anywhere), I ended up with a driver who seemed to do his best to run late presumably in the hope of being turned at Gateshead which sure enough happened and were made to get onto another 21 which didn't go into Eldon Square and booted the passengers off at the bottom of Percy Street where the X63 stops and bus went off NIS.

For added fun heading home, website showed a different X21 trip as starting from CLS instead of Newcastle than what happened in reality.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 14 Jun 2022

(14 Jun 2022, 3:38 pm)Ambassador Shortages out of CLS seem somewhat underestimated today.

Wonder if the sickness at Chester has suddenly shot through the roof.
I'd imagine any goodwill and loyalty towards their employer has vanished as quickly as the queue for sick notes grew.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 14 Jun 2022

(14 Jun 2022, 7:01 pm)Andreos1 Wonder if the sickness at Chester has suddenly shot through the roof.
I'd imagine any goodwill and loyalty towards their employer has vanished as quickly as the queue for sick notes grew.

never even thought about that…be interesting to see how many Durham runs are cut when riverside kicks in.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - busmanT - 15 Jun 2022

Cancellations at CLS have been a lot higher than the short notice list plus what’s on Twitter for a few weeks now - consecutive journeys cancelled seem to be creeping back in again, only 1 out of 3 buses running on the 34 yesterday afternoon by the look of it. Looks like 2 cancelled today as well 1558, 1618 from Waldridge Park.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 15 Jun 2022

I wonder what the difficulty is in getting the list updated? If the message (in the app too!) is to check the website for short notice cancellations, then there needs to be a mechanism in place whereby this is constantly updated.

Perhaps a 'twitter style' feed would be better than having to review whole lists though, in fear your journey has been added in during the day.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 15 Jun 2022

(15 Jun 2022, 8:16 am)Adrian I wonder what the difficulty is in getting the list updated? If the message (in the app too!) is to check the website for short notice cancellations, then there needs to be a mechanism in place whereby this is constantly updated.

Perhaps a 'twitter style' feed would be better than having to review whole lists though, in fear your journey has been added in during the day.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Yeah especially for journeys not tracking on the app already - the data is there.

Obviously last minute challenges occur and that was solved in my example by a service focused driver letting passengers know.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Chris 1 - 15 Jun 2022

(14 Jun 2022, 7:01 pm)Andreos1 Wonder if the sickness at Chester has suddenly shot through the roof.

I did hear that Chester drivers who transferred to an alternative depot and stayed for 3 months were offered a financial incentive, though I've no idea how true that is.  Presumably to save a mass exodus.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - busmanT - 15 Jun 2022

(15 Jun 2022, 11:48 am)Chris 1 I did hear that Chester drivers who transferred to an alternative depot and stayed for 3 months were offered a financial incentive, though I've no idea how true that is.  Presumably to save a mass exodus.
The problem with giving drivers £xxxx if they stay y months, is that in month y+1 you tend to get an exodus as they’ve had y months to find another job.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - busmanT - 16 Jun 2022

The Go North East 25 is a bit thin on the ground today, three consecutive departures from Newcastle cancelled this afternoon 1525, 1605, 1635:

From Newcastle: 07:15, 08:55, 16:05, 17:35, 20:25. The 09:18 journey will start from Chester-le-Street at 10:16, the 15:25 journey will start from Chester-le-Street at 16:17, the 16:35 journey will start from Chester-le-Street at 17:27.
From Langley Park: 06:27, 07:13, 10:21, 17:29, 19:04. The 13:51 journey will only run as far as Chester-le-Street (arriving at 14:20), the 14:21 journey will only run as far as Chester-le-Street (arriving at 14:50), the 14:54 journey will only run as far as Chester-le-Street (arriving at 15:23), the 15:54 journey will only run as far as Chester-le-Street (arriving at 16:23).
From Chester-le-Street to Newcastle: 06:17