North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 16 Jun 2022

(16 Jun 2022, 8:37 am)busmanT The Go North East 25 is a bit thin on the ground today, three consecutive departures from Newcastle cancelled this afternoon 1525, 1605, 1635:

From Newcastle: 07:15, 08:55, 16:05, 17:35, 20:25. The 09:18 journey will start from Chester-le-Street at 10:16, the 15:25 journey will start from Chester-le-Street at 16:17, the 16:35 journey will start from Chester-le-Street at 17:27.
From Langley Park: 06:27, 07:13, 10:21, 17:29, 19:04. The 13:51 journey will only run as far as Chester-le-Street (arriving at 14:20), the 14:21 journey will only run as far as Chester-le-Street (arriving at 14:50), the 14:54 journey will only run as far as Chester-le-Street (arriving at 15:23), the 15:54 journey will only run as far as Chester-le-Street (arriving at 16:23).
From Chester-le-Street to Newcastle: 06:17

Two of the commuter runs into Newcastle cancelled too. Maybe services like the 25 are an easy target not to cover now, as they're not seen as doing 'well' financially, but will they be going forward? 

I suppose the downside of contracting/providing secured services, is that the local authority will normally want some form of financial compensation or service credits where the service isn't ran. There's no where near that level of scrutiny on commercial services, as passengers are very much without a collective voice.

Also for the third day in a row, the 17.39 #50 from Durham has been cancelled, which is really poor. I normally use that or the one an hour earlier, and it's generally the same people on board each day, so it just goes to show that in doing so they're impacting the same users over and over.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 16 Jun 2022

(16 Jun 2022, 9:22 am)Adrian Two of the commuter runs into Newcastle cancelled too. Maybe services like the 25 are an easy target not to cover now, as they're not seen as doing 'well' financially, but will they be going forward? 

I suppose the downside of contracting/providing secured services, is that the local authority will normally want some form of financial compensation or service credits where the service isn't ran. There's no where near that level of scrutiny on commercial services, as passengers are very much without a collective voice.

Also for the third day in a row, the 17.39 #50 from Durham has been cancelled, which is really poor. I normally use that or the one an hour earlier, and it's generally the same people on board each day, so it just goes to show that in doing so they're impacting the same users over and over.
Another really common one is the 19:36 61 from Sunderland that basically is cancelled all the time.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 16 Jun 2022

CLS is horrific yet again, there’s a 35 minute gap at Gateshead and it was just as bad this morning,

There’s two angels parked up at Gateshead but nothing on the cancellations. They’re just outright lying now

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jimmi - 16 Jun 2022

(16 Jun 2022, 9:22 am)Adrian Two of the commuter runs into Newcastle cancelled too. Maybe services like the 25 are an easy target not to cover now, as they're not seen as doing 'well' financially, but will they be going forward? 

It certainly felt that way to me when I used the services and viewed the cancellation list on Monday, list included multiple trips on services 25 & 28/28A binned off, yet not a single planned cancellation was listed for the 21 or 34... in the addition multiple trips on services 8 & X21 were fully cancelled or partially cancelled on top of that including consecutive evening trips on the former.

The 8 was hit hard again this morning with a number of morning journeys not operating or only doing the Stanley to CLS section.

(16 Jun 2022, 12:48 pm)Ambassador CLS is horrific yet again, there’s a 35 minute gap at Gateshead and it was just as bad this morning,

There’s two angels parked up at Gateshead but nothing on the cancellations. They’re just outright lying now
They're heavily pushing the narrative of roadworks in Newcastle for disruption causing that, or at least they were the other day.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Drifter60 - 16 Jun 2022

Was just thinking the same. If GNE do get contracts for the 25,28 and others they’d surely have to put more emphasis on making sure they run. Which I’m not sure how they’ll manage it, without another service like the 21s for instance taking even more of a hit instead. I wonder if GNE don’t get these contracts, it’s because they don’t want them - without the extra secured work they’ll be in a better position to withdraw older vehicles, close CLS depot and reduce short notice cancellations elsewhere. 

It’s been mentioned about the 8 being cancelled in the evening? Happy to stand corrected, it’s a recent development the 8 running late into the evening? And I’m guessing it’ll be one of a few evening services running without subsidy. Even services like the 60 have secured parts. I believe, DCC still pays for the later evening Parkside to Seaham runs. So I’m guessing it’s just complete coincidence that the 8 is taking a hit.

(16 Jun 2022, 2:28 pm)Drifter60 Was just thinking the same. If GNE do get contracts for the 25,28 and others they’d surely have to put more emphasis on making sure they run. Which I’m not sure how they’ll manage it, without another service like the 21s for instance taking even more of a hit instead. I wonder if GNE don’t get these contracts, it’s because they don’t want them - without the extra secured work they’ll be in a better position to withdraw older vehicles, close CLS depot and reduce short notice cancellations elsewhere. 

It’s been mentioned about the 8 being cancelled in the evening? Happy to stand corrected, it’s a recent development the 8 running late into the evening? And I’m guessing it’ll be one of a few evening services running without subsidy. Even services like the 60 have secured parts. I believe, DCC still pays for the later evening Parkside to Seaham runs. So I’m guessing it’s just complete coincidence that the 8 is taking a hit.
I don't think the 61/60 are covered by DCC. 

I can't imagine many others aren't subsided on a night.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jimmi - 16 Jun 2022

(16 Jun 2022, 3:01 pm)Unber43 I don't think the 61/60 are covered by DCC. 

I can't imagine many others aren't subsided on a night.
From the list I've seen, the 60 is still supported between Parkside and Seaham on Monday to Saturday evenings and the 61 has a some trips on Saturday mornings that are DCC supported.

Quite a lot of the evening services in County Durham are supported at both GNE & ANE, some of GNE's actually been Monday to Thursday whilst running commercially on Friday & Saturday nights.

(16 Jun 2022, 4:08 pm)Jimmi From the list I've seen, the 60 is still supported between Parkside and Seaham on Monday to Saturday evenings and the 61 has a some trips on Saturday mornings that are DCC supported.

Quite a lot of the evening services in County Durham are supported at both GNE & ANE, some of GNE's actually been Monday to Thursday whilst running commercially on Friday & Saturday nights.
nexus gives funding to GNE for the 20 between Sunderland & South Shields on a evening Monday-Thursday

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 17 Jun 2022

The 65 service has been "off timetable" since about 12pm. Buses running 10-20-35 mins late. 

After today would it not be worth the changeover location changing to Seaham so the change over can take a "big bus" incase the 65 is late so they can take it and put it back on time, instead of it running 35 mins late, changing at Hetton and there isn't really anywhere on the 65 to save a lot of time except starting at Hetton

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 18 Jun 2022

Can anyone confirm if the X20s are meant to be leaving Ashington for Newcastle at xx47 past every hour?

The past three departures have been 30 mins later than that and the driver of the journey I was on was in no rush to change over adding another 5+ mins to the delay...

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jack Gill - 18 Jun 2022

The 21 doesn't seem to be doing great at all at the moment...

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 18 Jun 2022

(18 Jun 2022, 2:13 pm)Jack Gill The 21 doesn't seem to be doing great at all at the moment...
Wow there is only 6 on, isn't the PVR like 14.

(18 Jun 2022, 2:31 pm)Unber43 Wow there is only 6 on, isn't the PVR like 14.
It's around that yeah, can only imagine every 21 leaving Newcastle being full to the brim.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - wibblejunior - 18 Jun 2022

I've been waiting for the X21 at Eldon Square for about half an hour and not a single Angel has turned up in that time. At this rate the X12 may as well go back to being half-hourly between Durham and Newcastle.

I wonder what's happening to cause such major problems for the 21 today

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 18 Jun 2022

Probably drivers using up their leave, not willing to sacrifice their days off etc. On the 16:05 x21 with wib and it's rammed because, in addition to the no show 21s, the 15:35 didn't run.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - User2613 - 18 Jun 2022

(18 Jun 2022, 3:01 pm)Jack Gill I wonder what's happening to cause such major problems for the 21 today
Going off the website none of them are "planned" cancellations.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 18 Jun 2022

(18 Jun 2022, 3:01 pm)Jack Gill I wonder what's happening to cause such major problems for the 21 today
"Operational issues" going by their Twitter
https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1538166396814823428

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 18 Jun 2022

(18 Jun 2022, 3:00 pm)wibblejunior I've been waiting for the X21 at Eldon Square for about half an hour and not a single Angel has turned up in that time. At this rate the X12 may as well go back to being half-hourly between Durham and Newcastle.

And yet not a single 21 listed on the short notice cancellations page.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 18 Jun 2022

(18 Jun 2022, 3:26 pm)Adrian And yet not a single 21 listed on the short notice cancellations page.
It’s been like that all week, they’re actively lying about it. 

the service has been utterly atrocious lately, doesn’t bode fantastically well for the upcoming move.