North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 19 Jun 2022

(19 Jun 2022, 10:31 am)Adrian BSOG is calculated per km operated I believe, unless that has changed?

Interestingly though, the Bus Recovery Grant (BRG), which is due to end in October, has an eligibility requirement of running 90% or more of your mileage compared to pre-COVID levels. Taking into account September 2021's 'Getting buses fit for the future' programme, and then the upcoming axe-wielding in July, I wonder if GNE will still be eligible for the remaining 3 months of that?

(fixed your link btw!)
Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is with BSOG during covid and if there's any changes.
But assuming there isn't, I think there's going to be a huge shortfall if operators are submitting accurate bus mileage data. I'm not sure any additional funds (such as BRG) will make up that shortfall.

(cheers for fixing the link!)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - RobinHood - 19 Jun 2022

GNE have been open in the fact that the methodology behind BRG doesn't work for them financially. BRG is calculated in advance (opposite of CBSSG).

That said, BRG has a top limit and if GNE are better off at the bottom line by making the cost savings instead of relying on funding, that probably explains why they have decided to go this way.

Stagecoach and Arriva haven't played their hand yet, which suggest BRG funding does work for them and they are running as much as they can until Oct 2nd.

I fully expect more reductions from those two, to be notified somewhere towards the end of July.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 19 Jun 2022

(18 Jun 2022, 11:26 pm)Unber43 Well, look at Arriva, Stagecoach and GCT (granted they've been quite okay recently) however they don't publish these lists meaning we don't know how many services are cancelled but for both it is probably  similar to GNE, so why should GNE be penalised for telling the public which services are cancelled when other companies are informing people 1 hour to no advanced notice.

The Arriva and Stagecoach cancellations are nowhere near as bad as GNE. This isn't just to do with 'lists'.

At no point have either of those cancelled 4 buses in a row on a 30 minute bus service like the 25 tomorrow which they expect tax payers to fund.

Either way makes no difference. It doesn't make something better because someone else is the same. It seems to be the new tactic lately, deflection, to make out GNE aren't half as bad as they really are the past few months, for pretty much everything.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 19 Jun 2022

(19 Jun 2022, 6:40 pm)Storx The Arriva and Stagecoach cancellations are nowhere near as bad as GNE. This isn't just to do with 'lists'.

At no point have either of those cancelled 4 buses in a row on a 30 minute bus service like the 25 tomorrow which they expect tax payers to fund.

Either way makes no difference. It doesn't make something better because someone else is the same. It seems to be the new tactic lately, deflection, to make out GNE aren't half as bad as they really are the past few months, for pretty much everything.
Look at the 8 today from Sunderland, the 10:11 didn't run, 11:11 did, then there wasn't one till 14:11. They're every hour, no hourly service should be cancelled.

Im not saying GNE have the least cancellations, while there may be 4 in a row canceled which is bad, the way they go around it is good and how do you know they're not as bad? SC & arriva don't supply a list.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 19 Jun 2022

(19 Jun 2022, 6:44 pm)Unber43 Look at the 8 today from Sunderland, the 10:11 didn't run, 11:11 did, then there wasn't one till 14:11. They're every hour, no hourly service should be cancelled.

Im not saying GNE have the least cancellations, while there may be 4 in a row canceled which is bad, the way they go around it is good and how do you know they're not as bad? SC & arriva don't supply a list.

Why does it always have to be comparative to not being as bad (or worse) than X? For a Sunday service, the provision on some routes today has been nothing short of a shambles. 

Like I wrote yesterday, this has been going on now for 8+ months and it's continuing to cause the public a massive inconvenience. Whilst I think at the start, there'll have been a degree of sympathy for COVID related absence, the situation has gone on that long that sympathy has turned into frustration, with seemingly no end in sight.

We know that other bus operators, railways and airlines are impacted, but what are they doing about it? What are they doing to not only attract people to come and work for them, but the retain the staff that they're recruiting? 

We can talk about lists vs no lists, but the reality is the same and the customers still suffer. The bigger worry now is that this is very much in danger of becoming the norm, and that doesn't stand in good steed for the future of public transport.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 19 Jun 2022

(19 Jun 2022, 7:08 pm)Adrian Why does it always have to be comparative to not being as bad (or worse) than X? For a Sunday service, the provision on some routes today has been nothing short of a shambles. 

Like I wrote yesterday, this has been going on now for 8+ months and it's continuing to cause the public a massive inconvenience. Whilst I think at the start, there'll have been a degree of sympathy for COVID related absence, the situation has gone on that long that sympathy has turned into frustration, with seemingly no end in sight.

We know that other bus operators, railways and airlines are impacted, but what are they doing about it? What are they doing to not only attract people to come and work for them, but the retain the staff that they're recruiting? 

We can talk about lists vs no lists, but the reality is the same and the customers still suffer. The bigger worry now is that this is very much in danger of becoming the norm, and that doesn't stand in good steed for the future of public transport.
I agree, however from CLS, the list hasn't been accurate at all, its okay to miss a few by accident but for 6 out of 14 21's not being in service is a joke especially when people who have tried to plan around services, only to find out that service is also cancelled. 

Same with me with COVID I had sympathy, but I thought atleast GNE were trying to combat this, when I saw 4 8's in 5 hours (wheI n they are every hour) where cancelled from Park Lane and I mean...there was people waiting for 3 hours for an 8. It is 100% a staffing issue, so many are leaving, not enough joining, however why would they..the pay is quite bad no matter how much GNE can say earn upto 36K with overtime how much overtime, will the overtime be there.

I wonder if GNE has anything with the JobCentre, for people who own cars who might want to become bus drivers.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - stagecoachbusdepot - 19 Jun 2022

(19 Jun 2022, 6:44 pm)Unber43 Look at the 8 today from Sunderland, the 10:11 didn't run, 11:11 did, then there wasn't one till 14:11. They're every hour, no hourly service should be cancelled.

Presume you mean GNE 8, not SNE which appears to have had no missed journeys https://bustimes.org/vehicles/41490

While not 100% reliable, bustimes means you don't need the others to publish list to know other operators "aren't as bad" as GNE - a quick scan of gaps on there gives you a pretty clear picture.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - busmanT - 19 Jun 2022

Based on the current cancellations list, I can't see many passengers planning to travel on the 47/47A tomorrow night
Red Kite Ranger 47 | 47A
From Consett:  18.55, 19:23, 20.05, 20.30 (4 consecutive journeys)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 21 Jun 2022

Go North East 34: 
  • From Waldridge Park: 09:53, 10:53, 11:53, 12:53, 13:53, 14:53, 15:35, 16:42, 18:03, 18:57, 19:57. 
  • From Urpeth Grange: 09:27, 10:27 11:27, 12:27, 13:27, 14:27, 15:07, 15:27, 16:12, 17:37, 18:35, 19:28, 20:28. 
  • From Chester-le-Street: 09:10, 10:48, 11:45, 14:53, 17:23. 

That is just horrendous

The last 309 from Blyth & Last 310 from Newcastle are also cancelled

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - User2613 - 24 Jun 2022

GNE are off to a great start this morning. No 25 towards newcastle at 6:43, No 21 at 6:47 or 6:53 towards newcastle. None of which are on the list of cancellations. Is there even a point in this list anymore if half of the cancellations are going to be left off.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - idiot - 24 Jun 2022

Park Lane has quite a few buses parked up. Including 2 drifters when a solo has recently left on the 60... Great planning!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - idiot - 24 Jun 2022

Actually make that 3 drifters parked up. And another solo left.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 24 Jun 2022

(24 Jun 2022, 9:50 am)idiot Park Lane has quite a few buses parked up. Including 2 drifters when a solo has recently left on the 60... Great planning!
Speaking of Drifters, why with 1 spare bus, there is always atleast one solo on the drifters, not to mention it does the afternoon Seaham High School, school run. 

There is TWO solo's on today, there are two drifters together one running 12 mins late, there was 3 replacement buses on the other day, 5373 has been having issues since the crash, it broke down yesterday aswell. There was one on the 877, so that is 7/7 which are running. 1 broke down, thats the PVR.

Why can't they get it right it has been an issue since September, I was on the 5 yesterday between Boldon and Jarrow to connect with the 27 and that was a Drifter, it had 4 people on, compared to the Solo which was on the 60 at the time which had 8 seats left.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MurdnunoC - 24 Jun 2022

(24 Jun 2022, 10:29 am)Unber43 Speaking of Drifters, why with 1 spare bus, there is always atleast one solo on the drifters, not to mention it does the afternoon Seaham High School, school run. 

There is TWO solo's on today, there are two drifters together one running 12 mins late, there was 3 replacement buses on the other day, 5373 has been having issues since the crash, it broke down yesterday aswell. There was one on the 877, so that is 7/7 which are running. 1 broke down, thats the PVR.

Why can't they get it right it has been an issue since September, I was on the 5 yesterday between Boldon and Jarrow to connect with the 27 and that was a Drifter, it had 4 people on, compared to the Solo which was on the 60 at the time which had 8 seats left.

Perhaps they have drifted off onto a different route. That's the trouble with drifters, rarely do they stay in one place for a prolonged period of time.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 25 Jun 2022

When I've been out and about today (and to be honest, the whole of this week), its more noticeable than ever just how sick of these disruptions the public are getting.

I've seen multiple instances of drivers getting it in the neck from irate customers, both on the bus and whilst they're waiting to take a bus on (e.g. at Chester front street). Whilst I think its bang out of order the way some customers talk to drivers, I think its sadly becoming inevitable due to the amount of disruption.

There's also more and more people complaining about it in conversation, e.g. when I'm on board or waiting for a bus. A 56 I used earlier, apparently the one prior didnt turn up, the one after was cancelled, and the one we boarded was being cut short at Gateshead. Is this the active regulation that Martijn Gilbert referenced on twitter?

I wonder just how much these operators, and I know its not just GNE, are shooting themselves in the foot right now. As I've said before, why would anyone switch to bus, unless you like ending up pissed off?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 25 Jun 2022

(25 Jun 2022, 4:03 pm)Adrian When I've been out and about today (and to be honest, the whole of this week), its more noticeable than ever just how sick of these disruptions the public are getting.

I've seen multiple instances of drivers getting it in the neck from irate customers, both on the bus and whilst they're waiting to take a bus on (e.g. at Chester front street). Whilst I think its bang out of order the way some customers talk to drivers, I think its sadly becoming inevitable due to the amount of disruption.

There's also more and more people complaining about it in conversation, e.g. when I'm on board or waiting for a bus. A 56 I used earlier, apparently the one prior didnt turn up, the one after was cancelled, and the one we boarded was being cut short at Gateshead. Is this the active regulation that Martijn Gilbert referenced on twitter?

I wonder just how much these operators, and I know its not just GNE, are shooting themselves in the foot right now. As I've said before, why would anyone switch to bus, unless you like ending up pissed off?

I was at Consett the other Sunday, and people were just fuming about the 78, it was cancelled two hours in a row, I was getting off a X45 when I heard it.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 25 Jun 2022

Im very surprised anyone got a answer from the GNE drivers TBH, I was out in durham with the crocodile with 2 GNE day tickets. We waited 2.5 hours for a 21 back to low fell. During this wait i asked several drivers if they could help find out what was happening by radioing control............ the replies ranged from its not working, they wont reply cause its bus to no reply and the doors getting shut on my nose!! Alternatively at Haymarket ive spoke to there drivers about no bus turning up and athey have always been helpfull and apologetic.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - wibblejunior - 25 Jun 2022

(25 Jun 2022, 4:03 pm)Adrian When I've been out and about today (and to be honest, the whole of this week), its more noticeable than ever just how sick of these disruptions the public are getting.

I was on the 56 earlier and it was filled to the brim for most of the journey. Definitely doesn't help that the Metros are off (even though the 56 doesn't serve any of the Metro stations between Stadium of Light and Gateshead). Definitely not helpful for people who live in Concord, etc, who want to travel into Newcastle.

If the old Fast Cats X36 was still running, that'd probably end up being packed as well, since if I remember correctly it was faster than the 56 and would've also served as a viable alternative for people travelling between Heworth, etc. and Sunderland.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - busmanT - 25 Jun 2022

There seems to have been at least 5 or 6 buses parked at Chester-Le-Street almost all day today (different buses as time has gone by, South Burns or down the side of GW Horners) with large gaps appearing in the 21 (not helped by missing X21s, where the last 4 departures from Newcastle are cancelled). 
I Didn’t see much “active regulation” taking place, and no “short notice” cancellations list for the 21, although Twitter followers were told at 1146 that  “Due to operational issues you wait longer than usual for your vehicle heading into Newcastle on service 21, we apologise for any inconvenience”.

It’s unfortunate that GNE continues to compete with Arriva between Durham and Brandon & Bishop and West Auckland whilst the service where passengers don’t have a choice is so poor.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 25 Jun 2022

(25 Jun 2022, 4:48 pm)busmanT There seems to have been at least 5 or 6 buses parked at Chester-Le-Street almost all day today (different buses as time has gone by, South Burns or down the side of GW Horners) with large gaps appearing in the 21 (not helped by missing X21s, where the last 4 departures from Newcastle are cancelled). 
I Didn’t see much “active regulation” taking place, and no “short notice” cancellations list for the 21, although Twitter followers were told at 1146 that  “Due to operational issues you wait longer than usual for your vehicle heading into Newcastle on service 21, we apologise for any inconvenience”.

It’s unfortunate that GNE continues to compete with Arriva between Durham and Brandon & Bishop and West Auckland whilst the service where passengers don’t have a choice is so poor.
At Deptford it has been bad, two 56's cancelled, three 60's in a row (TWICE) leaving passengers with a 1 hour wait. 

Not to mention 4 of these weren't even on the list, yet GNE is doing a 901. 

Deptford, I saw about 7-8 vehicles parked up.