North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 04 Jul 2022

I assume once GNE are being paid to run these services they will mysteriously acquire some drivers

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 04 Jul 2022

A 1 Hour Gap in the 56 today

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jack Gill - 04 Jul 2022

Seems to be a lot of gaps across services today.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - missedbus - 04 Jul 2022

(04 Jul 2022, 10:47 am)Rob44 I got the 28b home last night. Expected it to be packed as previous 3 canceled.  Not a sole on... just me and the crocodile .
I wouldn't want to be on it either if I thought someone was going to bring a crocodile on board...

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 04 Jul 2022

(04 Jul 2022, 5:58 pm)missedbus I wouldn't want to be on it either if I thought someone was going to bring a crocodile on board...

I've seen worse on the last 638 from the town when that used to run!  Big Grin

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 04 Jul 2022

(04 Jul 2022, 6:24 pm)Adrian I've seen worse on the last 638 from the town when that used to run!  Big Grin

From the town?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Michael - 04 Jul 2022

(04 Jul 2022, 7:02 pm)Rob44 From the town?

Sunderland, it used to go via the world to Crawcrook.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - wibblejunior - 04 Jul 2022

(04 Jul 2022, 5:58 pm)missedbus I wouldn't want to be on it either if I thought someone was going to bring a crocodile on board...
I'm sure the GNE centenary book mentions that they used to carry livestock on buses, but stopped sometime during the 1940s. Though it seems unlikely they've ever carried a crocodile on any of their buses. An inflatable one, maybe, but definitely not a live one!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 04 Jul 2022

(04 Jul 2022, 7:03 pm)Michael Sunderland, it used to go via the world to Crawcrook.

Ahhhh when you said town i thought you ment newcastle!.. I knew the route was ryton - sunderland as used to visit my grandparents every saturday with my mam in Winlaton.  Bring back the 633!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Chris 1 - 05 Jul 2022

(04 Jul 2022, 12:32 pm)Ambassador I assume once GNE are being paid to run these services they will mysteriously acquire some drivers

I did notice a GNE advert pop up on my facebook yesterday, offering a £750 welcome bonus for existing licence holders.  I'm sure the current workforce will be over the moon with that!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - busmanT - 05 Jul 2022

(03 Jul 2022, 6:09 pm)Dan Of this list:

16 - 18:43 did run
35A - both 14:33 and 14:53 did run
55 - 18:05 (last bus) did run
78 - 15:00 did run

Several of the cancelled 60s not listed here also ran, presumably along with many other journeys initially listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But passengers will plan their journey based on the list!!

I suspect that, conversely, there will be journeys cancelled that aren't on the list.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 05 Jul 2022

17:08, 17:38, 17:53 - 3 PEAK TIME 56's cancelled from Newcastle

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - 54APhotography - 05 Jul 2022

Arrived at Park Lane on the X20 at 18:58 to find 20 vehicles parked up, several blocking stops - 21 if you include broken down 5401. very few drivers around, those who were looked bemused and were taking photos of the scene on their phones.

Never seen anything like that..

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 05 Jul 2022

(05 Jul 2022, 7:45 pm)54APhotography Arrived at Park Lane on the X20 at 18:58 to find 20 vehicles parked up, several blocking stops - 21 if you include broken down 5401. very few drivers around, those who were looked bemused and were taking photos of the scene on their phones.

That doesn’t mean to say there was 20 journeys not running at that time.

A driver may have done an extra journey before or after their main duty, but chosen to clock off at Park Lane rather than the depot. As they’ve helpfully ran another journey which would have otherwise been cancelled, the depot won’t insist that they bring the bus back to the depot and that will be sorted later in the evening.

I was at Park Lane at 18:20 and just six buses were parked up, none blocking stands.

I didn't say there were 20 journey cancellations. There was however no spaces on in the stabling areas within and without the bus station, Prince Bishops streetlites were littered around the stands, two mercs also not at stands they ought to have been. the difference of 38 minutes in our passing obviously saw a build up of vehicles and nowhere for them to stable. The reaction and bewilderment of the drivers around the zebra crossing was telling.

(05 Jul 2022, 7:45 pm)54APhotography Arrived at Park Lane on the X20 at 18:58 to find 20 vehicles parked up, several blocking stops - 21 if you include broken down 5401. very few drivers around, those who were looked bemused and were taking photos of the scene on their phones.

Should of grabbed a photo

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - ASX_Terranova - 05 Jul 2022

(05 Jul 2022, 7:56 pm)54APhotography I didn't say there were 20 journey cancellations. There was however no spaces on in the stabling areas within and without the bus station, Prince Bishops streetlites were littered around the stands, two mercs also not at stands they ought to have been. the difference of 38 minutes in our passing obviously saw a build up of vehicles and nowhere for them to stable. The reaction and bewilderment of the drivers around the zebra crossing was telling.

Its the same at CLS, they just dump spare buses on South Burns. 
I'm presuming taking a bus back to the depot could mean going over a drivers max hours?

(05 Jul 2022, 7:49 pm)Dan That doesn’t mean to say there was 20 journeys not running at that time.

A driver may have done an extra journey before or after their main duty, but chosen to clock off at Park Lane rather than the depot. As they’ve helpfully ran another journey which would have otherwise been cancelled, the depot won’t insist that they bring the bus back to the depot and that will be sorted later in the evening.

I was at Park Lane at 18:20 and just six buses were parked up, none blocking stands.

(05 Jul 2022, 8:02 pm)Unber43 Should of grabbed a photo
I would have but the 61 was at the stand and ready to go. mind you would need a drone to get the full lot in..

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - ASX_Terranova - 05 Jul 2022

(05 Jul 2022, 8:09 pm)54APhotography I would have but the 61 was at the stand and ready to go. mind you would need a drone to get the full lot in..

Would you really want to take a photo in park lane anyway, its a dingey mess.

(05 Jul 2022, 8:30 pm)ASX_Terranova Would you really want to take a photo in park lane anyway, its a dingey mess.
Atleast its not a wind tunnel...today anyways