North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - wibblejunior - 05 Jul 2022

Durham isn't much better for buses on layover - Arriva seem to be treating North Road as a bus dumping ground, with the first few stands frequently being blocked by seemingly abandoned buses. Sutton Street isn't much better either.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 05 Jul 2022

(05 Jul 2022, 8:46 pm)wibblejunior Durham isn't much better for buses on layover - Arriva seem to be treating North Road as a bus dumping ground, with the first few stands frequently being blocked by seemingly abandoned buses. Sutton Street isn't much better either.

Is there actually anywhere for them to actually go? 

Not rhetorical that just curious, can't really blame Arriva if Durham County Council hasn't actually setup anywhere for drivers to have breaks. It's always been a problem at Durham tbh.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 05 Jul 2022

(05 Jul 2022, 8:56 pm)Storx Is there actually anywhere for them to actually go? 

Not rhetorical that just curious, can't really blame Arriva if Durham County Council hasn't actually setup anywhere for drivers to have breaks. It's always been a problem at Durham tbh.

The problem at the moment is that Arriva are suffering from a staff shortage (contrary to popular belief, it’s not just Go North East cancelling services).

Because the bus station is shut, there is no where to park the buses. So they dump them on Sutton Street as much as possible, but once that is full, they need to use North Road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 05 Jul 2022

Is parking on Sutton Street not dangerous?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 05 Jul 2022

(05 Jul 2022, 9:06 pm)Dan The problem at the moment is that Arriva are suffering from a staff shortage (contrary to popular belief, it’s not just Go North East cancelling services).

Because the bus station is shut, there is no where to park the buses. So they dump them on Sutton Street as much as possible, but once that is full, they need to use North Road.

Yeah that's fair, knew there was problems at Darlington and Durham tbf.

Thought it might have been an issue with reliefs aswell, I know there's been problems at Durham since forever with buses just been dumped on random stands.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - idiot - 05 Jul 2022

Stagecoach cancelled the one journey I was going to make today. Mind what I like about the app they put a line through the scheduled time and underneath cancelled in red.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 05 Jul 2022

(05 Jul 2022, 9:32 pm)Unber43 Is parking on Sutton Street not dangerous?
Not really. The bit they park on is a very lightly used but wide side road which has a bus stop. You're probably thinking of the section leading onto the roundabout

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jimmi - 06 Jul 2022

(05 Jul 2022, 9:51 pm)Storx Yeah that's fair, knew there was problems at Darlington and Durham tbf.

Thought it might have been an issue with reliefs aswell, I know there's been problems at Durham since forever with buses just been dumped on random stands.
Problem with Durham is everything is timed in a sense where everything must run like clockwork which seems fine on paper but in reality doesn't always play ball, most stands during the daytime are a case of as soon as one bus departs, another should be pulling onto it, if anything is either a minute early or late then there's a blockade cos it can't get on (some stands you can kinda get away with pulling in behind the bus).

7 now has to layover somewhere in Durham prior to departure as it has about 15 minutes turnaround time (usually has to set down behind one waiting to depart).

Arriva are always gonna be a more awkward one for dumping buses and such as with the exception of most trips on the 7 & X12 all their services in Durham is centred around it with changeovers and such occurring there whereas GNE services in Durham (except the 40/41/42 which avoid North Road) changeover elsewhere.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 06 Jul 2022

(06 Jul 2022, 7:34 am)Jimmi Problem with Durham is everything is timed in a sense where everything must run like clockwork which seems fine on paper but in reality doesn't always play ball, most stands during the daytime are a case of as soon as one bus departs, another should be pulling onto it, if anything is either a minute early or late then there's a blockade cos it can't get on (some stands you can kinda get away with pulling in behind the bus).

7 now has to layover somewhere in Durham prior to departure as it has about 15 minutes turnaround time (usually has to set down behind one waiting to depart).

Arriva are always gonna be a more awkward one for dumping buses and such as with the exception of most trips on the 7 & X12 all their services in Durham is centred around it with changeovers and such occurring there whereas GNE services in Durham (except the 40/41/42 which avoid North Road) changeover elsewhere.

Thanks for that had a feeling it was the same as both as Blyth and Haymarket where if something goes late it all goes mental, Haymarket is particularly bad especially since the drop off stand usually has a bus dumped on it anyway.

Just curious, does Durham do regulation like the Northern depots, where things just swap around to keep things on time. I believe they do in Durham which I prefer to other operators curtailing services short but not 100% sure.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 06 Jul 2022

First two 28As of the day cancelled. Good luck getting to school kids!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 06 Jul 2022

4 26's in a row cancelled

2 56's in a row cancelled

the last 27 is cancelled from Newcastle

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 06 Jul 2022

(06 Jul 2022, 11:06 pm)Unber43 4 26's in a row cancelled

2 56's in a row cancelled

the last 27 is cancelled from Newcastle

Do you have nothing better to do than to go through the list every day pointing this out?

(06 Jul 2022, 11:21 pm)Dan Do you have nothing better to do than to go through the list every day pointing this out?

Yeah I do, but sadly I need to check these cos I need to go out and I use GNE. And it literally takes a couple mins to check

(06 Jul 2022, 11:29 pm)Unber43 Yeah I do, but sadly I need to check these cos I need to go out and I use GNE. And it literally takes a couple mins to check

You seem to use a wide variety of different services, from all across the region and at different times of day. You must go out quite a lot!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 06 Jul 2022

It is a bus forum where these things can and should be discussed, Dan. Rich of anyone on here to suggest that others should have better things to do.

Anyway, with the exception of someone capturing the cancellations page on the Wayback Machine, there's not really any other way to keep a public note of all this for the future.

(06 Jul 2022, 11:51 pm)omnicity4659 It is a bus forum where these things can and should be discussed, Dan. Rich of anyone on here to suggest that others should have better things to do.

Anyway, with the exception of someone capturing the cancellations page on the Wayback Machine, there's not really any other way to keep a public note of all this for the future.

Can’t wait to come back to this thread in ten years time to find out that two 56s in a row were cancelled on Thursday 7 July 2022, with no further information than that.

Mark the date in your diary!

(06 Jul 2022, 11:49 pm)Dan You seem to use a wide variety of different services, from all across the region and at different times of day. You must go out quite a lot!

I do use a few regularly. 

Its mainley just scrolling through them, trying to find the ones I need, thankfully only very little of mine are cancelled.

But I mean while scrolling through them its pretty easy to see. And sometimes I do use a lot of GNE, and buses from all different depots.

(06 Jul 2022, 11:57 pm)Dan Can’t wait to come back to this thread in ten years time to find out that two 56s in a row were cancelled on Thursday 7 July 2022, with no further information than that.

I did laugh at this

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 07 Jul 2022

(06 Jul 2022, 11:57 pm)Dan Can’t wait to come back to this thread in ten years time to find out that two 56s in a row were cancelled on Thursday 7 July 2022, with no further information than that.

Maybe one should go on a Facebook page and take less than veiled ‘SOD’ pot shots at drivers upset their depot is closing instead?

Far better use of time I’d imagine…

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 07 Jul 2022

(07 Jul 2022, 12:14 am)Ambassador Maybe one should go on a Facebook page and take less than veiled ‘SOD’ pot shots at drivers upset their depot is closing instead?

Far better use of time I’d imagine…

At the end of the day management have decided the depot is closing, no amount of moaning is realistically going to change that. The best they can probably hope to get is a bit extra for moving depots.

In fact, if it was me and drivers were going around wearing badges saying 'SOD GNE' (I haven't seen any, so not sure if that's actually what they say), I'd probably tell them to sod off. A lot of employment contracts have clauses in them that prevent staff from slagging the company off publicly, and I'm fairly sure it would fall under that. Then again, that's probably not very good for business!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 07 Jul 2022

Maybe not, but people might want to recall the summer when bus services were really unreliable and a series of comments highlights that. It's obviously one of those situations where your professional and enthusiast sides sit uncomfortably together but that doesn't mean that this tiny part of what will be transport history needs to be glossed over.

If, in 10 years, public transport has declined to the point of being as virtually non-existent in urban areas as it is now in many rural areas, then this marks the start of the rot. (OK, the rot goes way back but this is a significant snowballing)

If it recovers to the point of being the default mode of getting around for far more people than ever, then those 2 cancelled 56s, and more, will be a part of what you came back from.