North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 21 Jul 2022

(21 Jul 2022, 7:34 pm)Unber43 So I take it CLS won't fully close on the 24th of July, I wonder when they'll all be out.

No.

The 8, 25, 28 and 71 transfer to Washington from 24 July.
The 21/X21 and 34 and minibus routes (excluding the 71) remain at Chester-le-Street until 4 September.

National Express moves to Riverside from 1 August at the request of the driving team on National Express, who'd like to move out of Chester-le-Street sooner.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 21 Jul 2022

(21 Jul 2022, 7:38 pm)Dan No.

The 21/X21 and 34 and minibus routes (excluding the 71) remain at Chester-le-Street until 4 September.

National Express moves to Riverside from 1 August at the request of the driving team on National Express, who'd like to move out of Chester-le-Street sooner.
With these closures are there any routes from other depots changing/moving around?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 21 Jul 2022

(21 Jul 2022, 7:17 pm)Unber43 tbf, will the average person think, oh ill get the X6/60 to seaham, where I might have an hour wait for the 65 to get to Murton, but I can get the 62, oh wait thats cancelled Ill just sit here for 1 hour, and book driving lessons as I am sick of waiting 1 hour for a every 20, well now 30 mins bus.

#betterthanever

You say that in jest, but as I was standing in a packed Eldon Square yesterday afternoon waiting for a non-existent X21 (I don't check the website out of principal because I like to get pissed off when I find out it's not running), I was genuinely trying to book driving lessons, but you just can't.

They're all fully booked (at least in my area).

Now, is that because of the backlog from the rona, or is it because everyone else has the same idea, who knows? But I'm choosing to think it's the latter.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 21 Jul 2022

(21 Jul 2022, 7:29 pm)Dan Why would they? Go North East will be over-staffed from 24 July.

The only site that won't be is Washington, and drivers from other depots will be loaned to assist to minimise lost mileage here.
I look forward to this being quoted in future….Andreos is no doubt sharpening his quote marks as we speak.

The novelty of running a full service…admittedly after half the travelling public have given up on the shit show but still…

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 21 Jul 2022

(21 Jul 2022, 7:38 pm)Dan No.

Curious are these the permanent allocations to Washington or are they just a medium term temporary move. Seems an odd depot for some of them or whether they've just been moved out asap to avoid penalty when it's pretty much likely that the remainder of CLS is going on strike.

The 25/28/29 in particular seem an odd move when on paper the 34 and the remainder of the minibuses would be better since they're miles away from Riverside or Consett.

I'm guessing it's a similar reason why the same reason the NEX team want out (avoid strikes).

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - citaro5284 - 22 Jul 2022

(21 Jul 2022, 10:40 pm)Storx Curious are these the permanent allocations to Washington or are they just a medium term temporary move. Seems an odd depot for some of them or whether they've just been moved out asap to avoid penalty when it's pretty much likely that the remainder of CLS is going on strike.

The 25/28/29 in particular seem an odd move when on paper the 34 and the remainder of the minibuses would be better since they're miles away from Riverside or Consett.

I'm guessing it's a similar reason why the same reason the NEX team want out (avoid strikes).

As Dan has mentioned, quite a large number of drivers have indicated that they want to move to Washington, so I would expect these to be long term.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 22 Jul 2022

(22 Jul 2022, 4:58 am)citaro5284 As Dan has mentioned, quite a large number of drivers have indicated that they want to move to Washington, so I would expect these to be long term.

Yeah that's fair enough, he's confirmed it in the other thread. 

Surprised at those thought other routes might have stayed down ie. the X21 instead tbh.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 22 Jul 2022

(21 Jul 2022, 8:33 pm)Ambassador I look forward to this being quoted in future….Andreos is no doubt sharpening his quote marks as we speak.

The novelty of running a full service…admittedly after half the travelling public have given up on the shit show but still…
I mean, I wasn't going to. But I'm sure there's many people who could ensure those comments about spare drivers are used going forward.
Daniel hasn't been shy in using them! 

Tell you what, just for you. If we do see more issues beyond Sunday, I'll quote him.
I appreciate things change and some of those issues might be down to wingmirror issues or other factors other than a shortage of drivers, but I will see what I can get away with.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - wibblejunior - 22 Jul 2022

(21 Jul 2022, 7:29 pm)Dan Why would they? Go North East will be over-staffed from 24 July.

The only site that won't be is Washington, and drivers from other depots will be loaned to assist to minimise lost mileage here.
[citation needed]

The bus services in Chester-le-Street have been abysmal today. At this rate it's probably gonna end up becoming the North Eastern counterpart of Wilmslow.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 22 Jul 2022

(21 Jul 2022, 8:33 pm)Ambassador I look forward to this being quoted in future….Andreos is no doubt sharpening his quote marks as we speak.

I didn't say that a full service would be operated - but cancellations should be far less in number given the company will be over-staffed overall.

Drivers' holidays are likely to have been deferred from pre-24 July to post-24 July to enable fewer cancellations currently, sickness I'm sure will still be incredibly high post-24 July, and drivers will still be coming off duty to undertake route learning.

But yes, I'm sure these posts will be quoted on Sunday evening when Monday's journey cancellations go online, stating how much of a shitshow it is, ya'da, ya'da.

In other news, I believe Arriva North East are going onto emergency timetables shortly due to their staffing situation getting increasingly worse, which will include services 22/23/24 all running hourly.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 22 Jul 2022

(22 Jul 2022, 1:49 pm)Dan I didn't say that a full service would be operated - but cancellations should be far less in number given the company will be over-staffed overall.

Drivers' holidays are likely to have been deferred from pre-24 July to post-24 July to enable fewer cancellations currently, sickness I'm sure will still be incredibly high post-24 July, and drivers will still be coming off duty to undertake route learning.

But yes, I'm sure these posts will be quoted on Sunday evening when Monday's journey cancellations go online, stating how much of a shitshow it is, ya'da, ya'da.

In other news, I believe Arriva North East are going onto emergency timetables shortly due to their staffing situation getting increasingly worse, which will include services 22/23/24 all running hourly.

Are the 61 being allocated Deckers to Peterlee, aswell as the X6 (which could be an OmniDekka)

The One time GNE might be able to take some competiton and they cancel the 55, please bring it back for this.

Disruptions and driver shortages - cbma06 - 22 Jul 2022

(22 Jul 2022, 1:53 pm)Unber43 Are the 61 being allocated Deckers to Peterlee, aswell as the X6 (which could be an OmniDekka)

The One time GNE might be able to take some competiton and they cancel the 55, please bring it back for this.

Eh, the 61 going to be operated by the violets citarios from service 55, why would it be omnidekka?

If service 22/23/24 do go hourly, then there still be a half hourly service between Peterlee and Sunderland for Arriva

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(22 Jul 2022, 2:06 pm)cbma06 Eh, the 61 going to be operated by the violets citarios from service 55, why would it be omnidekka?

If service 22/23/24 do go hourly, then there still be a half hourly service between Peterlee and Sunderland for Arriva

For the extra people, however the 23/22 is probably only need a every 30 min service between Peterlee & Sunderland

Disruptions and driver shortages - cbma06 - 22 Jul 2022

(22 Jul 2022, 2:12 pm)Unber43 For the extra people, however the 23/22 is probably only need a every 30 min service between Peterlee & Sunderland

Don’t think there’s going to be much difference really along that corridor.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 22 Jul 2022

(22 Jul 2022, 1:53 pm)Unber43 Are the 61 being allocated Deckers to Peterlee, aswell as the X6 (which could be an OmniDekka)

Can an OmniDekka fit under that bridge near Ryhope? (14ft 3in)

(22 Jul 2022, 1:49 pm)Dan I didn't say that a full service would be operated - but cancellations should be far less in number given the company will be over-staffed overall.

Brilliant idea. Why didn't GNE think of doing this earlier? Idk about anyone else, but I'd much rather have an emergency timetable that's reliable than a normal timetable that's just a lottery as to whether or not the bus turns up.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 22 Jul 2022

Have suffered from excessive alcohol intake due to a 4 hour gap on a 28b service i would much rather they say sorry we need to reduce your service to a bus every 2 hours but we guarantee it will run

(22 Jul 2022, 3:02 pm)F114TML Can an OmniDekka fit under that bridge near Ryhope? (14ft 3in)

Brilliant idea. Why didn't GNE think of doing this earlier? Idk about anyone else, but I'd much rather have an emergency timetable that's reliable than a normal timetable that's just a lottery as to whether or not the bus turns up.
Yep, so can an E400

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 22 Jul 2022

(22 Jul 2022, 1:49 pm)Dan But yes, I'm sure these posts will be quoted on Sunday evening when Monday's journey cancellations go online, stating how much of a shitshow it is, ya'da, ya'da.

I mean, that sounds incredibly sensible and something GNE should have done ages ago since they clearly can’t  run their current timetable. At least passengers could plan or make good choices versus the current as you say…shit show.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 22 Jul 2022

"22/23/24 all running hourly."

Measures like this, while a pain in the arse for passengers, are far preferable to the current mess of some buses cancelled, some doing one half of a route, some doing the other half, with the resultant huge and unpredictable gaps, often coinciding with similar gaps on alternative services, leaving people stranded for long periods.

Just look at the 21, there is about 50% of the vehicles on that there should be.
From Newcastle: 05:15, 19:02, 20:06, 21:26, 23:26.
From Brandon: 18:35, 19:05.
From Durham: 06:13, 07:00, 22:27.
From Chester-le-Street to Newcastle: 04:37, 18:18, 20:44.

Considering that was all that was listed, why won't GNE give us the full cancellation? Are they too embarrassed at them?