North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions. - Ambassador - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 10:27 am)Dan Yep, bang on.

It's a good innovation and better than not saying anything but it does lack that 'professional Customer Care social media touch' and I mean in terms of thinking outside the box but the only way to avoid that is to have someone in Customer Care working 'a late' which shouldn't be beyond the bounds of impossiblilty but more cost/resource vs benefit

RE: Disruptions. - Dan - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 10:46 am)Ambassador It's a good innovation and better than not saying anything but it does lack that 'professional Customer Care social media touch' and I mean in terms of thinking outside the box but the only way to avoid that is to have someone in Customer Care working 'a late' which shouldn't be beyond the bounds of impossiblilty but more cost/resource vs benefit

Indeed.

These reports are all published by the Service Delivery Centre, to be honest, and I'd imagine most of those willing to work overtime are actually covering mileage on the road either before or after their usual shifts in the control room. If it's a choice between accepting that communications aren't absolutely perfect (when other operators actually do nothing) versus covering mileage, it's a very difficult choice to make but I suppose the latter option means that potentially fewer customers are actually inconvenienced. Tough one though.

RE: Disruptions. - Andreos1 - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 10:05 am)Ambassador I am guessing the evening tweets are automated through HootSuite template hence the lateness of some? The template is bloody awful anyway and could do with a new tone of voice.

If they are written by humans then thats somehow worse...

The thing that bugs me the most about these tweets, is not the tone or language used.
It's the fact that they know the run is being cancelled potentially an hour beforehand (based on the inbound run being cancelled too). 
But the tweets go out at the very last minute.
Unless you're a punter who knows the interworking patterns, the operator is leaving them out to dry.
That shouldn't be the case at all. The punter should know more than 5mins prior (or a minute after in some cases), that their bus isn't going to operate and that communication should be available in more mediums than currently.

'last bus of the night cancelled. Sorry about that. We knew at least an hour ago, if we told you, you could have got an earlier bus and changed your plans - but now you're stuck with a big taxi fare and if you're vulnerable, then that's just tough too.
We may refund the taxi fare, we just won't make it easy for you or explain that it may or may not be possible'.

(08 Sep 2021, 11:28 am)Andreos1 The thing that bugs me the most about these tweets, is not the tone or language used.
It's the fact that they know the run is being cancelled potentially an hour beforehand (based on the inbound run being cancelled too). 
But the tweets go out at the very last minute.
Unless you're a punter who knows the interworking patterns, the operator is leaving them out to dry.
That shouldn't be the case at all. The punter should know more than 5mins prior (or a minute after in some cases), that their bus isn't going to operate and that communication should be available in more mediums than currently.

'last bus of the night cancelled. Sorry about that. We knew at least an hour ago, if we told you, you could have got an earlier bus and changed your plans - but now you're stuck with a big taxi fare and if you're vulnerable, then that's just tough too.
We may refund the taxi fare, we just won't make it easy for you or explain that it may or may not be possible'.

Not defending it at all, but at least they're putting something out (even if it's often too late, but that's just down to the tech being used as Ambassador said, and not in all the modes that it perhaps ought to be, because the infrastructure in the North East needs vast investment).

Everyone is very quick to criticise Go North East here, but other operators are doing absolutely nothing (given this is a universal issue in the bus industry at the moment, across the whole country), and nothing at all is said about them...

(08 Sep 2021, 11:57 am)Dan Not defending it at all, but at least they're putting something out (even if it's often too late, but that's just down to the tech being used as Ambassador said, and not in all the modes that it perhaps ought to be, because the infrastructure in the North East needs vast investment).

Everyone is very quick to criticise Go North East here, but other operators are doing absolutely nothing (given this is a universal issue in the bus industry at the moment, across the whole country), and nothing at all is said about them... 

There was discussion about other operators last night.
Some of the good things they do. Coupled with the bad.

A few of us were in agreement with the fact that for those without social media, then GNE are just as bad as ANE or SNE.
A tweet is of no use to them whatsoever and they're in the exact same boat as they would be if using one of the other operators.

RE: Disruptions. - Adrian - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 12:15 pm)Andreos1 There was discussion about other operators last night.
Some of the good things they do. Coupled with the bad.

A few of us were in agreement with the fact that for those without social media, then GNE are just as bad as ANE or SNE.
A tweet is of no use to them whatsoever and they're in the exact same boat as they would be if using one of the other operators.

Maybe the real issue is that Nexus have been so backward thinking about technology for decades. There's always been a lot of talk about it, but look how long projects such as NESTi have been dragged out for... and smart ticketing is still not available on every bus.
If places like Brighton can have RTPI screens at every stop (even introducing accessible 'talking bus stops' at some stops), most railway stations in the UK have help points, then why are we so far behind that we cannot even get paper timetables displayed in time?

RE: Disruptions. - Rob44 - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 12:25 pm)Adrian Maybe the real issue is that Nexus have been so backward thinking about technology for decades. There's always been a lot of talk about it, but look how long projects such as NESTi have been dragged out for... and smart ticketing is still not available on every bus.
If places like Brighton can have RTPI screens at every stop (even introducing accessible 'talking bus stops' at some stops), most railway stations in the UK have help points, then why are we so far behind that we cannot even get paper timetables displayed in time?

Maybe Nexus spend to much money on subsidizing buses and an evening and on weekend so cant spend it on tec? I,m sure ive read on here what they pa a company to run services then no bus turns up!

(08 Sep 2021, 12:25 pm)Adrian Maybe the real issue is that Nexus have been so backward thinking about technology for decades. There's always been a lot of talk about it, but look how long projects such as NESTi have been dragged out for... and smart ticketing is still not available on every bus.

For all the good and bad things that come out of Nexus House, I do think a lot of it is based on the issues caused by central government.
You highlight the issues around NESTI and smart ticketing, but if there was joined up thinking, joint bids and restrictions placed on those bids a few years back, maybe we wouldn't have had the umpteen pots of funding handed out to different operators and bodies and we wouldn't have had various different schemes rolled out in the interim. 

I'd argue we are in this position, due to the total lack of foresight or joined up thinking.
Whether that is down to poor leadership or something else, is probably for another thread.

(08 Sep 2021, 12:42 pm)Rob44 Maybe Nexus spend to much money on subsidizing buses and an evening and on weekend so cant spend it on tec? I,m sure ive read on here what they pa a company to run services then no bus turns up!

An interesting perspective.
Their budget is only so big and if they've had to ringfence to subsidise x, y or z - there's not going to be much left over for the tech you mention.
Unless there's a specific pot of funding available. Except the operators have probably dipped in to that tech too, to do their own thing.

RE: Disruptions. - Adrian - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 12:42 pm)Rob44 Maybe Nexus spend to much money on subsidizing buses and an evening and on weekend so cant spend it on tec? I,m sure ive read on here what they pa a company to run services then no bus turns up!

It's an interesting point, but sadly one that is normally unclear due to the way Nexus present their accounts. Bus Services and Infrastructure are grouped together, when my view is they should be separate accounting lines. However, a recent FOI I read stated that it was around £13m spend (out of the £17m in the accounts) on secured services, but that includes scholars services.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/files/nexus_accounts_2019-20_all_signed.pdf

(08 Sep 2021, 1:04 pm)Andreos1 For all the good and bad things that come out of Nexus House, I do think a lot of it is based on the issues caused by central government.
You highlight the issues around NESTI and smart ticketing, but if there was joined up thinking, joint bids and restrictions placed on those bids a few years back, maybe we wouldn't have had the umpteen pots of funding handed out to different operators and bodies and we wouldn't have had various different schemes rolled out in the interim. 

I'd argue we are in this position, due to the total lack of foresight or joined up thinking.
Whether that is down to poor leadership or something else, is probably for another thread.

A decade plus of Central Government austerity absolutely has a lot to do with this, but our local authorities have their hands dirty too by carrying out their orders. Infrastructure such as this has a massive impact on people, and may make/break someone's experience of bus services, so the benefit far outweighs the cost. There seems to be plenty of capital funding found when it comes to vanity projects, such as new Council HQs in Durham and Sunderland, but very little when it comes to public transport.

RE: Ne14ne1 - Clifton Hignett III - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 9:47 am)ne14ne1 Do you cover the GNE customer service lines out of hours?

I don't know about Streetdeckfan but there used to be one or two friends of the forum who tried to help Go North East customers on a voluntary basis once customer services had closed for the day.

While their intentions might have been good, they probably used didn't help matters. Their input on Go North East's Facebook page was like marmite at best.

RE: Disruptions. - Ambassador - 08 Sep 2021

Nexus are the most poorly run inept PTE in the country and have been for a long long time. It doesn't help that the leader of our worst performing council, Martin Gannon is chairing the North East Joint Transport Committee which is equally inept.

There's absolutely no forward thinking outside the commercial departments of the individual  bus companies themselves. Technology and innovation within the region on public transport is no further forward than it was 15-20 years ago and it's entirely the fault of Nexus and the Transport Committee.

They can blame Central Govt cuts but they've absolutely wasted the funding they've had even in the boom years. I actually pity the 3 MDs of our major companies who have to engage with these morons.

RE: Disruptions. - mb134 - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 11:57 am)Dan Not defending it at all, but at least they're putting something out (even if it's often too late, but that's just down to the tech being used as Ambassador said, and not in all the modes that it perhaps ought to be, because the infrastructure in the North East needs vast investment).

Didn't ANE put out lists of services dropped each day during their driver shortage? I'd think that would be a far better way of doing it as then folk have hours to plan around it, rather than a handful of minutes, and can always be updated if runs can be covered. Ultimately companies generally know if a driver isn't coming in well in advance with the self isolation cases, so it shouldn't take them by surprise when a service doesn't run.

Disruptions. - Dan - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 3:29 pm)mb134 Didn't ANE put out lists of services dropped each day during their driver shortage? I'd think that would be a far better way of doing it as then folk have hours to plan around it, rather than a handful of minutes, and can always be updated if runs can be covered. Ultimately companies generally know if a driver isn't coming in well in advance with the self isolation cases, so it shouldn't take them by surprise when a service doesn't run.

What is getting put out now? I understand Arriva Durham’s lost mileage is close to 10% of the total mileage operated out of the depot currently - which is absolutely huge compared to any other operator in the region - but what’s out there right now to tell you which journeys have been cancelled?

I’ve looked, and can’t see a thing…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions. - mb134 - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 3:33 pm)Dan What is getting put out now? I understand Arriva Durham’s lost mileage is close to 10% of the total mileage operated out of the depot currently - which is absolutely huge compared to any other operator in the region - but what’s out there right now to tell you which journeys have been cancelled?

I’ve looked, and can’t see a thing…

No clue, that wasn't really my point. You said that "other operators are doing absolutely nothing", and I've provided an example of one operator doing something arguably better than anything GNE have done.

(08 Sep 2021, 3:49 pm)mb134 No clue, that wasn't really my point. You said that "other operators are doing absolutely nothing", and I've provided an example of one operator doing something arguably better than anything GNE have done.

And I stand by my point - up to now, nobody has demonstrated anything that's being done for Arriva Durham's staggering amount of lost mileage. Wink

(08 Sep 2021, 2:02 pm)Adrian It's an interesting point, but sadly one that is normally unclear due to the way Nexus present their accounts. Bus Services and Infrastructure are grouped together, when my view is they should be separate accounting lines. However, a recent FOI I read stated that it was around £13m spend (out of the £17m in the accounts) on secured services, but that includes scholars services.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/files/nexus_accounts_2019-20_all_signed.pdf

A decade plus of Central Government austerity absolutely has a lot to do with this, but our local authorities have their hands dirty too by carrying out their orders. Infrastructure such as this has a massive impact on people, and may make/break someone's experience of bus services, so the benefit far outweighs the cost. There seems to be plenty of capital funding found when it comes to vanity projects, such as new Council HQs in Durham and Sunderland, but very little when it comes to public transport. 

Agree 100% with this, but not sure what it has to do with each operator dipping in to the pot for new ticket machines and the like, setting up their own system as a result.
Austerity has impacted on us mere mortals with the likes of cuts to public services, such as libraries or Sure Start centres - but the flow of cash towards private bus operators has continued to an extent.

Indeed, after all of the millions of pounds in funding in the past with the aim of increasing smart ticketing, it looks like the focus has switched http://www.transport-network.co.uk/Govt-pulls-the-plug-on-TfNs-struggling-smart-ticketing-programme/17155

RE: Ne14ne1 - streetdeckfan - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 2:28 pm)Clifton Hignett III I don't know about Streetdeckfan but there used to be one or two friends of the forum who tried to help Go North East customers on a voluntary basis once customer services had closed for the day.

While their intentions might have been good, they probably used didn't help matters. Their input on Go North East's Facebook page was like marmite at best.
Quite frankly Ive got better things go do than sit around helping customers.

Speaking of customer services, are they going to extend the opening hours back to pre-covid times? It's annoying not being able to get in touch on the weekends now

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions. - Keeiajs - 08 Sep 2021

I heard two deptford drivers saying...that there streetlites off the road have been a joke, 4 drifters, 3 prince bishsops so bad the drivers had to go to Percy Main for buses. Also 9068 or 9062 only have 

60 Parkside
60 Sunderland
Not In Service. in there dest display system

Disruptions. - Dan - 08 Sep 2021

(08 Sep 2021, 5:38 pm)Keeiajs I heard two deptford drivers saying...that there streetlites off the road have been a joke, 4 drifters, 3 prince bishsops so bad the drivers had to go to Percy Main for buses. Also 9068 or 9062 only have 

60 Parkside
60 Sunderland
Not In Service. in there dest display system

It amazes me that comments like this are still being made, or that it comes as a shock to people?

Pair Covid with brexit, and there’s a huge supply issue which is affecting the whole industry. If operators can’t get parts for buses, the buses can’t get fixed.

Arguably Covid is hitting industries worse now than it did twelve months ago…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions. - BusLoverMum - 08 Sep 2021

(07 Sep 2021, 7:51 pm)mb134 The best examples I've had of this are at Haymarket where the (I assume Jesmond based) Arriva supervisor has informed passengers of delays, cancellations, or alternative plans (e.g an X15 has been spun at Regent Centre and will wait there, get on the next X21/22 and the X15 will be expecting you). Far more direct than a post on Twitter and having to figure it out yourself, and also more accessible. Granted though, only possible at major bus stations where staffing allows.
Yep. No good at the new college bus stop, displaying 18 month old times for some services on the screens and not even including the x21.