North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 27 Jul 2022

(27 Jul 2022, 6:29 pm)F114TML Yeah, I mainly use the Metro for leisure but I did use it at peak times for a work experience placement in college and it wasn't the most comfortable, but I survived and it wasn't really rammed (those single seats near the wheelchair bay were nice). Although having said that, I don't generally mind standing on a Metro for 30-40 minutes but I think that's just me, as I generally don't like standing on buses.

I personally quite like standing up on buses (and standing in general, I hate sitting!)
Back when I was at school I would get the late scholars back since it was always empty, and I would stand for most of the journey, usually seeing how long I could last without holding on, which considering the route was up and down steep hills and along winding country roads, was surprisingly difficult!
Ironically, because of that, I find it easier to balance standing up in a moving bus than I do just walking around!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 27 Jul 2022

(27 Jul 2022, 6:39 pm)streetdeckfan I personally quite like standing up on buses (and standing in general, I hate sitting!)
Back when I was at school I would get the late scholars back since it was always empty, and I would stand for most of the journey, usually seeing how long I could last without holding on, which considering the route was up and down steep hills and along winding country roads, was surprisingly difficult!
Ironically, because of that, I find it easier to balance standing up in a moving bus than I do just walking around!
I do like standing up on buses/walking down the bus ready to get off when its moving/going around turns e.g into eldon square and be able to just walk without grabbing onto anything.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 28 Jul 2022

(27 Jul 2022, 6:39 pm)streetdeckfan I personally quite like standing up on buses (and standing in general, I hate sitting!)

It's bad enough sitting on a bus sometimes, never mind standing, when you've got a heavy-footed driver. I was on a Citaro last week, being thrown forward every time they hit the brakes.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - stagecoachbusdepot - 28 Jul 2022

Vastly improved format on the short notice cancellations for tomorrow (for the likes of X1 making it easier to see at a glance whether it's full journey cancelled or early curtailed)
https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/short-notice-cancellations

Still an alarming amount of cancellations however, across various depots, for a company that is apparently over-staffed and without the pressures of scholars. Let's hope the over-staffing increases somewhat come Sept.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 28 Jul 2022

While there is 3 buses cancelled in a row for the 39/39A/39B(twice)/X20/56/60(twice)/61(from Peterlee).

But if you think thats bad the LAST 7 50's are cancelled from Durham I mean, what a disgrace

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Aaron21 - 28 Jul 2022

(28 Jul 2022, 6:16 pm)Unber43 While there is 3 buses cancelled in a row for the 39/39A/39B(twice)/X20/56/60(twice)/61(from Peterlee).

But if you think thats bad the LAST 7 50's are cancelled from Durham I mean, what a disgrace
It's pathetic. They don't care anymore. Same thing could be said lately about the last X1s from Peterlee or to Peterlee. I've know a few people who travel though Houghton to get to Peterlee or the other way round and the X1 was cancelled so fall on the 55 but that's no possibility if the X1 to Peterlee are cancelled

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 28 Jul 2022

I thought GNE were chronically overstaffed and can now magic drivers out of nowhere to do any route or something?

(28 Jul 2022, 6:46 pm)F114TML I thought GNE were chronically overstaffed and can now magic drivers out of nowhere to do any route or something?
Pretty sure someone said that but I knew it to be a lie straight away. Same thing was said on the changes in March and September

(28 Jul 2022, 6:37 pm)Aaron21 It's pathetic. They don't care anymore. Same thing could be said lately about the last X1s from Peterlee or to Peterlee. I've know a few people who travel though Houghton to get to Peterlee or the other way round and the X1 was cancelled so fall on the 55 but that's no possibility if the X1 to Peterlee are cancelled
its honestly past frustrating these cancellations, people waiting between 20 mins to 4-5 hours for the next bus on the route. 

really if you are wanting a 50 from Durham after 3pm you have like a 16 hour wait. 

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Michael - 28 Jul 2022

(28 Jul 2022, 6:16 pm)Unber43 While there is 3 buses cancelled in a row for the 39/39A/39B(twice)/X20/56/60(twice)/61(from Peterlee).

Pathetic, could they not move another bus driver from another route to do at least some of those runs?

Gonna be a long way home for those working in Durham and who work along the route - such as Nissan (yes they have the 56 but why should they have to go in to Sunderland/Newcastle - then get a bus in to Shields)

(28 Jul 2022, 7:10 pm)Michael Pathetic, could they not move another bus driver from another route to do at least some of those runs? 

Gonna be a long way home for those working in Durham and who work along the route - such as Nissan (yes they have the 56 but why should they have to go in to Sunderland/Newcastle - then get a bus in to Shields)
BUt also Ayrton (i think thats what its called) i think only the 50 services it, but what about if you want to get off between Boldon & South Sheilds, you'll have to go to Sunderland, get a bus to Bolden, then the 5 if it even goes the same way.

(28 Jul 2022, 6:16 pm)Unber43 But if you think thats bad the LAST 7 50's are cancelled from Durham I mean, what a disgrace

Absolutely shameful. What a way to run a business.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Michael - 28 Jul 2022

(28 Jul 2022, 7:32 pm)Unber43 BUt also Ayrton (i think thats what its called) i think only the 50 services it, but what about if you want to get off between Boldon & South Sheilds, you'll have to go to Sunderland, get a bus to Bolden, then the 5 if it even goes the same way.

Ye, I really think its gonna be hard for GNE to win passengers back too.

(28 Jul 2022, 7:42 pm)Adrian Absolutely shameful. What a way to run a business.

I know you get the 50 often so I am glad you have shared your thoughts - how will this affect you/does it? Will you work from home?

Tbf, I am absolutely sick of GNE's cancellations yes the list does help however if you want to go out you need to look on the cancellations, cross them over with what services you are planning, then at 9am (sometimes you are out before the list gets re-updated) more early services are cancelled, and I do think its disgraceful that people have had to put up with services which range from every 12 mins to every hour, where two, three buses in a row is cancelled, two, three buses in a row cancelled isn't a rare occurrence. I mean I have given lists numerous times whether that was the 48 minute wait for X1 this afternoon in peak rush hour, or a 60 mins wait for a single 39/39A/39B, probably causing some people to walk for ages as they just want to get home. These cancellations are awful, but then you have routes like the 34, 8, where you have to wait 4 hours for a service, during later evenings, where it is really not nice to be alone, but aswell look at the 71, it is largely an elderly population that uses it, when there were 3 out of the 8 running that day I wonder how many elderly people had to wait in the heat waiting/hoping for a 71 so they could get out as they are very "tech-savy" so they might know of the cancellations, or that there isn't an 8 till 23:30, at 19:30 on an evening as no lists are put up. Several days there has been a 2 hour wait for the X20. Surely some 20 services could be given up for that to run. 

We all understand the current circumstances and I haven't seen anyone take it out on the drivers, as it is not their fault, I don't think people mind if a every 10-20 mins service or say the 21 to Durham, where you can get the X21 is canceled as it is easily changed, buts its when 3-4 are cancelled in a row. 

I wonder if its time for GNE to bring in Temp Timetables again, well I mean the Women's Euro Finals are on, so why not just cancel all service 1 hour before and after the game.

With plenty of Deckers spare while schools aren't on, I wonder if GNE might consider possibly reducing the 20 to every 30 mins, X20 and put deckers on them. And Have the X1 at every 15 mins.

Tbf, I don't know why the X1 & 56 don't share a stand at eldon square each can have 5-7 mins on the stand.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 28 Jul 2022

(28 Jul 2022, 8:29 pm)Unber43 With plenty of Deckers spare while schools aren't on, I wonder if GNE might consider possibly reducing the 20 to every 30 mins, X20 and put deckers on them. And Have the X1 at every 15 mins.

Tbf, I don't know why the X1 & 56 don't share a stand at eldon square each can have 5-7 mins on the stand.

Surely it would be better to just cancel the X20 outright and push everyone onto the 20 considering the X20 just duplicates the 20 but misses a large chunk of the route with a short X20 between Langley Park and Durham only.

If Deptford are cancelled buses though, surely the 2/2A, 39/39A would be the better routes to target. There's way too many buses on Chester Road and through Grangetown as it is, you could easily curtail one of the 39's heading North at Sunderland and curtail one of the 2/2A heading South.

(28 Jul 2022, 8:43 pm)Storx Surely it would be better to just cancel the X20 outright and push everyone onto the 20 considering the X20 just duplicates the 20 but misses a large chunk of the route with a short X20 between Langley Park and Durham only.

If Deptford are cancelled buses though, surely the 2/2A, 39/39A would be the better routes to target. There's way too many buses on Chester Road and through Grangetown as it is, you could easily curtail one of the 39's heading North at Sunderland and curtail one of the 2/2A heading South.
Maybe you could get the 65 to extend upto Langley Park, or extend a 65 & 20 up there hourly each. 

You could only send the 39/39A(which extends to Houghton & 39B to Washington from pennywell) and the other 39A start at Sunderland. 

2/2A should be split up, between Sunderland & Washington & Sunderland & Silksworth, they should have never been joined together

Also the fact journeys during the day get cancelled for no reason. But no let's put the cancelled list out the day before to show the journeys that will be cancelled the next day. Screw the people who wait for a bus that isn't cancelled.

(28 Jul 2022, 7:45 pm)Unber43 I know you get the 50 often so I am glad you have shared your thoughts - how will this affect you/does it? Will you work from home?
I'll just work from home tomorrow, but not everyone has that luxury.

When I have been in this week, I've been using the 4 and the X20, to try and avoid the disruption on the 50/21/X21. Its not much better, and I think it was Monday or Tuesday night that I waited ages in Houghton due to a huge gap in the 4s and some X1s cancelled.

It's becoming impossible to plan your week around relying a service provider who couldn't run a bath.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 28 Jul 2022

It’s probably a good job MG is leaving but I imagine he’s not the root cause, as much as a poor a job he’s done, the same old team are behind him.

Clear the decks and get new blood in.