North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 07 Aug 2022

So I hear there's some missing 21 runs, anybody got any information on that?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 08 Aug 2022

I've just noticed Arriva suspended the ENTIRE 5A Saturday service the weekend just gone and next weekend and only informed people on Friday. Top job that!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 08 Aug 2022

(08 Aug 2022, 9:34 am)DeltaMan I've just noticed Arriva suspended the ENTIRE 5A Saturday service the weekend just gone and next weekend and only informed people on Friday. Top job that!

Timing of it is awful, but other than the frequency to Guisborough, I don't think anyone loses out from that happening. The slight difference of the 5A route in Guisborough is covered by the 28.

It's probably a more sensible move than having huge gaps in your timetable, like we've seen elsewhere.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 08 Aug 2022

(08 Aug 2022, 9:45 am)Adrian Timing of it is awful, but other than the frequency to Guisborough, I don't think anyone loses out from that happening. The slight difference of the 5A route in Guisborough is covered by the 28.

It's probably a more sensible move than having huge gaps in your timetable, like we've seen elsewhere.
Agree. Awful timing, but the 5, 28 and X93 will have helped cover.
Alongside the teesflex in part.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Kuyoyo - 08 Aug 2022

(08 Aug 2022, 9:45 am)Adrian Timing of it is awful, but other than the frequency to Guisborough, I don't think anyone loses out from that happening. The slight difference of the 5A route in Guisborough is covered by the 28.

(08 Aug 2022, 11:01 am)Andreos1 Agree. Awful timing, but the 5, 28 and X93 will have helped cover.
Alongside the teesflex in part.

The 5A is also one of the poorer recovering services at Stockton depot - hence why it is one of the first to be pulled if staffing issues develop.
Saturday gone was effectively the weekend when all services in the Stockton area needed to run - the first Riverside Festival since 2019. Of course, ended up with a reduced service on the 7 but the staff on the ground tweaked things so that the 3 buses ran a 20 minute frequency rather than 15/15/30.
Stockton of course have additional resources to cover as of today - working all but 2 weekday am and 1 Saturday PM Durham-Middlesbrough-Durham trip on the X12 (Durham retain the first journey from Coxhoe to Durham on a weekday as well as the first bus from Middlesbrough to Durham - on Saturdays the 1750 from Durham and 1910 from Middlesbrough also remain operated by Durham for now).

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 08 Aug 2022

Intresting responses when compared to the meltdown last week with the X1 and X11.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 08 Aug 2022

(08 Aug 2022, 12:39 pm)DeltaMan Intresting responses when compared to the meltdown last week with the X1 and X11.

You're comparing apples to oranges though.

The X1 going missing leaves chunks of people without a service; there's no alternative between Herrington Burn and Shiney, between Houghton and Easington Lane (and on to Peterlee). The same issue as when the 4 goes missing from Heworth, and there's no alternative way to get between there and Washington. 

The 5A route is completely covered by the 5, apart from the small detour around Guisborough, which is still covered by another Arriva bus. 

I've never bothered holding back before when it comes to criticising something that Arriva have done, but imo this is a sensible option, if it reduces gaps across other routes.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 08 Aug 2022

(08 Aug 2022, 12:39 pm)DeltaMan Intresting responses when compared to the meltdown last week with the X1 and X11.
Took the folks almost 3 hours to get to Newcastle the other day. It would typically be an hour.
That's because there were huge gaps not filled by another service.

There are alternatives for all (if not, the majority) of passengers on the route of the 5a.

Not saying cancelling is right. Far from it. But there are alternatives that aren't available for X1 passengers.

For all the paranoia that exists regarding anti-GNE sentiment or anti-ANE sentiment (depending which way the wind blows), I'm not sure there's any here.

(08 Aug 2022, 11:26 am)Kuyoyo The 5A is also one of the poorer recovering services at Stockton depot - hence why it is one of the first to be pulled if staffing issues develop.
Saturday gone was effectively the weekend when all services in the Stockton area needed to run - the first Riverside Festival since 2019. Of course, ended up with a reduced service on the 7 but the staff on the ground tweaked things so that the 3 buses ran a 20 minute frequency rather than 15/15/30.
Stockton of course have additional resources to cover as of today - working all but 2 weekday am and 1 Saturday PM Durham-Middlesbrough-Durham trip on the X12 (Durham retain the first journey from Coxhoe to Durham on a weekday as well as the first bus from Middlesbrough to Durham - on Saturdays the 1750 from Durham and 1910 from Middlesbrough also remain operated by Durham for now).
Is there a reason it is proving to be slow at recovering?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Aaron21 - 08 Aug 2022

(08 Aug 2022, 1:16 pm)Andreos1 Took the folks almost 3 hours to get to Newcastle the other day. It would typically be an hour.
That's because there were huge gaps not filled by another service.

There are alternatives for all (if not, the majority) of passengers on the route of the 5a.

Not saying cancelling is right. Far from it. But there are alternatives that aren't available for X1 passengers.

For all the paranoia that exists regarding anti-GNE sentiment or anti-ANE sentiment (depending which way the wind blows), I'm not sure there's any here.

Is there a reason it is proving to be slow at recovering?
55 was a stand in between Houghton & Peterlee for the X1 but that got withdrawn due to low passenger numbers which came from the X1 being put every 30 minutes to Peterlee

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 09 Aug 2022

Just the 45 minute wait for 30/31 in Newcastle today. Added to the 30 minute wait last Thursday and the near 40 minute wait on Saturday.

Stagecoach are getting worse and worse and worse and all they are doing is posting a generic "some services aren't running" tweet. Pathetic

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 09 Aug 2022

(09 Aug 2022, 9:43 pm)DeltaMan Just the 45 minute wait for 30/31 in Newcastle today. Added to the 30 minute wait last Thursday and the near 40 minute wait on Saturday.

Stagecoach are getting worse and worse and worse and all they are doing is posting a generic "some services aren't running" tweet. Pathetic

Agree with Stagecoach getting worse recently.

I’ve stopped getting a day ticket for the 22 as half of the time I’ve been getting it in the evening it’s been terminating at Walkergate depot or not showing up at all. No indication of this on the app/website/twitter.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 09 Aug 2022

(09 Aug 2022, 9:43 pm)DeltaMan Just the 45 minute wait for 30/31 in Newcastle today. Added to the 30 minute wait last Thursday and the near 40 minute wait on Saturday.

Its amazing that Stagecoach doesn't get flack for that. 

If stagecoach produced a list I wonder would it be longer than GNE, same with Arriva.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 09 Aug 2022

Complete agree re the tweet. Might as well not bother, when that is the level of information that you're putting out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - idiot - 09 Aug 2022

On the app I've noticed that there is a big red line with cancelled underneath on SC app.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 09 Aug 2022

When we wanted one of the E services, last month, it never showed at Shields interchange and passengers were complaining of long waits. Nothing in the app.

And it's not just buses https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-62469126

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 12 Aug 2022

Arriva don't seem to be doing great around Darlington - https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/20622562.arriva-pledges-improve-darlington-bus-services-slated/?fbclid=IwAR0jq1brh76evkuQHHIPqxXtG_3uAcrrn6inPLTfEtYLKDpfp6iQ-6qAZWI

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 12 Aug 2022

So, according to that article, the meeting turned from timetabled services not turning up due to driver shortage to it being up to residents to use the bus more?

They had problems aplenty before the pandemic with buses sitting at stops with no driver to do the run.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 12 Aug 2022

(12 Aug 2022, 7:34 am)BusLoverMum So, according to that article, the meeting turned from timetabled services not turning up due to driver shortage to it being up to residents to use the bus more?

They had problems aplenty before the pandemic with buses sitting at stops with no driver to do the run.

You couldn't make it up. Gibson has gone in there to represent constituents complaining about a god awful bus service, then came out of it only stopping short of heaping them in praise.

“The overall message that we both need to give is that the service needs to be used by people and we understand the challenges that that has caused for people in recent weeks about that reliability and people losing trust in it but they need those people on the buses to make those services commercially viable,”

How does he expect people to use buses that don't turn up?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 21 Aug 2022

Honestly…what an utter utter shambles GNE have been today.

The 15m frequency on the 21 doesn’t work on a match day alongside unannounced cancellations, 6 21s sailed through low fell full today.

It’s an abject abandonment of service, I’m sure Jim Hughes or gateshead central could do better, Getting hone was even worse. A 45 minute wait at Eldon square for the sight of angel chariot.

I’m beyond annoyed now, they are just utterly utterly incompetent

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 21 Aug 2022

(21 Aug 2022, 8:06 pm)Ambassador Honestly…what an utter utter shambles GNE have been today.
They've been for the last 10 months.