North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 21 Aug 2022

(21 Aug 2022, 8:09 pm)Unber43 They've been for the last 10 months.

Longer than that tbf. 
It's just a little bit more obvious and widespread.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 21 Aug 2022

(21 Aug 2022, 9:30 pm)Andreos1 Longer than that tbf. 
It's just a little bit more obvious and widespread.
Well for me GNE in Sept 2021 changes where more of a positive move to try and turn a profit. However since then there has been loads of different service changes gutting the network. 

And its just getting worse the July 2022 changes were the final staw for some people, it could be the final chance for GNE to turn a profit then they release Sept Changes slashing services even more.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 22 Aug 2022

the 21 i got from eldon square to durhan was full by the high level bridge. driver let several customers off at gateshead at the x10 stop then proceeded to drive past teh 2 dozen or so waiting at the 21 stop. By the time it go to birtly i would say it was half full if that?? Maybe its time GNE tried to do some newcastle to birtly short. Imagine wanting to go to durham and the bus flying past at gateshead only to drop a dozen or so off at springfield garage.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 22 Aug 2022

It's always been hard to get a seat on a Durham-bound service at Gateshead. If I've been to the metrocentre, I usually end up returning home via eldon Square or Stanley (though the latter option isn't as fast since the demise of the M services)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 22 Aug 2022

The driver I had Newcastle bound yesterday pretty much broke all the rules in the book to get as many passengers as possible on board.

Passengers standing upstairs.
Passengers on the stairs and the newest one he was letting people stand right by the doors but only if they sat down to not block his view.

Comical stuff but it happens every match day. The 15 minute frequency and last minute cancellations really are a killer.

The issue with Birtley/Harlow Green/Allerdene is that the 21 is now the only bus operating along Durham Road on a Sunday evening since the changes so it's always going to be a struggle for Durham bound passengers to get on ahead of those going to Harlow Green and beyond

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - wibblejunior - 22 Aug 2022

(21 Aug 2022, 8:06 pm)Ambassador Honestly…what an utter utter shambles GNE have been today.

The 15m frequency on the 21 doesn’t work on a match day alongside unannounced cancellations, 6 21s sailed through low fell full today.

It’s an abject abandonment of service, I’m sure Jim Hughes or gateshead central could do better, Getting hone was even worse. A 45 minute wait at Eldon square for the sight of angel chariot.

I’m beyond annoyed now, they are just utterly utterly incompetent
If GCT would cope better with the 21 than GNE, I'll eat my hat.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 22 Aug 2022

(21 Aug 2022, 8:06 pm)Ambassador Honestly…what an utter utter shambles GNE have been today.

The 15m frequency on the 21 doesn’t work on a match day alongside unannounced cancellations, 6 21s sailed through low fell full today.

It’s an abject abandonment of service, I’m sure Jim Hughes or gateshead central could do better, Getting hone was even worse. A 45 minute wait at Eldon square for the sight of angel chariot.

I’m beyond annoyed now, they are just utterly utterly incompetent
Even on a normal Sunday you can get 2-3. Sheer incompetence

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 25 Aug 2022

What on earth is up with the 60?
Drove through Seaham and passed a corp solo saying "60 Seaham" (said Parkside on the back tho) then immediately behind was two Drifters - first one on the 60 to Parkside and the other one on the 65, then about a minute later there was a Graphite also on the 60 to Parkside. I've never seen it quite that bad.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 25 Aug 2022

(25 Aug 2022, 1:39 pm)F114TML What on earth is up with the 60?
Drove through Seaham and passed a corp solo saying "60 Seaham" (said Parkside on the back tho) then immediately behind was two Drifters - first one on the 60 to Parkside and the other one on the 65, then about a minute later there was a Graphite also on the 60 to Parkside. I've never seen it quite that bad.
The 60 has been bad, checking bus times there was 3-4 Corporates on basically daily, most of the time there are two solos which are great on that route

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 26 Aug 2022

Apparently Middlesbrough bus station was evacuated around 6:20.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 27 Aug 2022

I feel like there should be something done with the X45/X30/X31 interworking pattern, as it seems the X30/31 from Stanley don't run due to delays on the X45. GNE might want to add a PVR for a extended layover Newcastle or Stanley.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jack Gill - 27 Aug 2022

Yeah there has been lots of delays on all three lately, going of their twitter anyway.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - L469 YVK - 29 Aug 2022

(27 Aug 2022, 11:12 am)Unber43 I feel like there should be something done with the X45/X30/X31 interworking pattern, as it seems the X30/31 from Stanley don't run due to delays on the X45. GNE might want to add a PVR for a extended layover Newcastle or Stanley.
Could be do-able splitting them if Stanley's bait room is re-opened given the 6 moving back to Consett. A full cycle on the 6 starting and finishing at Lanchester is 6 hours so not all changeovers could be done there with some needing to be done at Stanley.

X45 running basically to and from Hownsgill, should allow a 5 hour driving cycle as I think Arriva Blyth have a 5 hour driving cycle on the 308 with that running from outside the driver office / depot.

Other option would be interworking X30/X31 with X71/X72.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 29 Aug 2022

(29 Aug 2022, 10:56 pm)L469 YVK Could be do-able splitting them if Stanley's bait room is re-opened given the 6 moving back to Consett. A full cycle on the 6 starting and finishing at Lanchester is 6 hours so not all changeovers could be done there with some needing to be done at Stanley.

X45 running basically to and from Hownsgill, should allow a 5 hour driving cycle as I think Arriva Blyth have a 5 hour driving cycle on the 308 with that running from outside the driver office / depot.

Other option would be interworking X30/X31 with X71/X72.
I know the X45 was just reduced but surely with so many delays every 30 mins is too infrequent for the capacity. 
When i've been on the X45/6 it was busy, really it should be kept at every 20 mins, but was only done probably so the streetdecks could go else where. 

X30/X31 can't interwork with anything but the X45, unless you were to add back the X70.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - L469 YVK - 30 Aug 2022

(29 Aug 2022, 11:14 pm)Unber43 I know the X45 was just reduced but surely with so many delays every 30 mins is too infrequent for the capacity. 
When i've been on the X45/6 it was busy, really it should be kept at every 20 mins, but was only done probably so the streetdecks could go else where. 

X30/X31 can't interwork with anything but the X45, unless you were to add back the X70.
With the X71/X72 finalised and now no X70, could interwork the X30/X31/X71/X72 and that would be a PVR of 8 with the X45 running standalone on a PVR of 5.

Interworking the X30/X31/X71/X72 would increase layover times too and help with reliability.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Michael - 02 Sep 2022

Stagecoach 23 in Sunderland suffering from quite a few cancelations today.

Edit:

Stagecoach 16 now has a few cancelations...

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 02 Sep 2022

Yeah there's been quite a few buses parked in the depot these last few days.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Aaron21 - 02 Sep 2022

No 204 will run between 11.32 & 16.32 tomorrow

The first two 81s are cancelled same as the 83

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - busmanT - 02 Sep 2022

Presumably the short notice cancellations will drop to 0 from tomorrow with the further service cuts.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 02 Sep 2022

(02 Sep 2022, 7:42 pm)busmanT Presumably the short notice cancellations will drop to 0 from tomorrow with the further service cuts.

Or maybe continue due to ongoing high levels of sickness, lack of desire to work overtime, and, over the next week or two at least, drivers needing to be taken off the road to assist their route learning requirements (as Go North East committed to enabling Chester-le-Street drivers move to their first depot of choice - and therefore need to move work around to depots where it’s less efficient to run from, to ensure there was enough work at the depot for those displaced drivers).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk