North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 03 Sep 2022

(03 Sep 2022, 9:09 pm)streetdeckfan I don't think there's a set route for dead runs is there? 
I know with the X21 some drivers would go via the A167 while others would go down the A1.
no, however how do drivers learn Dead runs, if there are dead runs from such places as South Sheilds & Hexham going via 27/10 would take ages

So do they just need to know where to join and turn off of the A69 and Leam lane etc

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 03 Sep 2022

(03 Sep 2022, 9:14 pm)Unber43 no, however how do drivers learn Dead runs, if there are dead runs from such places as South Sheilds & Hexham going via 27/10 would take ages

So do they just need to know where to join and turn off of the A69 and Leam lane etc

If you had to drive somewhere, how would you know which route to take?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - mb134 - 03 Sep 2022

(03 Sep 2022, 9:18 pm)streetdeckfan If you had to drive somewhere, how would you know which route to take?

I need to consult with management before getting in my car to drive to the shops.

I may get lost on my trip to Tesco and then what would I do? I'd have no option but to blame management for their lack of babysitting on my journey. I certainly couldn't just check Google.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 03 Sep 2022

(03 Sep 2022, 9:27 pm)mb134 I need to consult with management before getting in my car to drive to the shops.

I may get lost on my trip to Tesco and then what would I do? I'd have no option but to blame management for their lack of babysitting on my journey. I certainly couldn't just check Google.
I just don't see how you should rely on drivers to do after work research on running buses dead to and from places. 

Especially with roads with weight/road restrictions I know the usual 10A dead run avoids a road which I assume is deemed to be usafe for buses however would Riverside Depot inform them of this..

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 03 Sep 2022

(03 Sep 2022, 9:33 pm)Unber43 I just don't see how you should rely on drivers to do after work research on running buses dead to and from places. 

Especially with roads with weight/road restrictions I know the usual 10A dead run avoids a road which I assume is deemed to be usafe for buses however would Riverside Depot inform them of this..

Sorry, but isn't that their job?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 03 Sep 2022

(03 Sep 2022, 9:33 pm)Unber43 I just don't see how you should rely on drivers to do after work research on running buses dead to and from places. 

Research? It takes all of a couple of minutes to work out the easiest way from A to B using Google Maps, as others have mentioned, or even an A to Z.

If you can't plan to get from A to B or read road signs as a professional driver, you're really in the wrong job.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - R852 PRG - 03 Sep 2022

(03 Sep 2022, 4:33 pm)Unber43 I wonder how many CLS drivers actually like the X21, X21 & 21 moving to gateshead will definitely add some life into the rota

Some of them will have spent periods of years driving just the 21, so with jadedness to account for, it probably doesn't make much difference to them. The 21 is a straightforward route which gets heavy footfall, so a duty of 21s, while appearing repetitive, might feel busy enough to pass quickly. The X21 is more of a run out in comparison. Prior to the rotas being amalgamated in 2014, there were two driving units which covered the work at Chester. I recall most depots had the same principle in their allocation of work; at Stanley, for example, in the same sort of time period, the services which passed through Stanley (8/78, 43/44, X30/X31) formed unit 1, while those which passed through Consett (15/15A, 45/46, X70/X71) were unit 2, with the Venture minibus network being its own thing based at Consett. An easy way to learn find out driving unit covered a route back in the day was to check the duty number on the ticket - if the duty was 1xx, it was unit 1; if it was 2xx, it was unit 2. With rotas being mostly amalgamated at all depots, duty numbers in today's money do not mean the same thing; 1xx is typically an early, 2xx a middle and 3xx a late.

Although some routes changed rotas over the years, by the time the rotas were combined, unit 1 consisted of the 21, the X25 and the 71, while unit 2 was the 8/78 (then with a combined PVR of thirteen, seven of which were at Chester and six of which were at Stanley), 28/28A, 34/34A, the 50 and the 13/14, which was facilitated with remote changeovers (at Sacriston, if I recall). When the X22 still went around the world through Lumley, Rainton and Carrville between Durham and Chester, this had its own rota (mostly old timers) which was mixed with duties which consisted otherwise of solely 21s. When the X22 was later altered in October 2013 so that it essentially followed the 21/X21 route between Chester and Durham, it became part of unit 2 and interworked with the Langley Parks at Durham to remove the need for remote changeovers. I know that, at least at one point, the 4-day rota on unit 1 consisted of only 21s.

When they still had the two separate units, there was little correlation between length of service and driving unit allocation; although newly qualified drivers would always go onto unit 2, an experienced licence-holder might have been asked to go onto unit 1. I suspect, especially with tenured drivers, it was a matter of personal preference. Of the long-serving drivers at Chester who remained at closure, I recall most of them being on unit 1 in the time I am recollecting, but a good few were on unit 2. It must be strange for those who have moved to anywhere but Riverside to think that they might never drive the 21 again after years of driving it and its predecessors.

(03 Sep 2022, 9:09 pm)streetdeckfan I don't think there's a set route for dead runs is there? 
I know with the X21 some drivers would go via the A167 while others would go down the A1.

(03 Sep 2022, 9:14 pm)Unber43 no, however how do drivers learn Dead runs, if there are dead runs from such places as South Sheilds & Hexham going via 27/10 would take ages

Duty boards which involve a period of dead running (the majority of which do) detail the most efficient route to be taken for running light as well as the time in which dead runs are expected to be completed.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 03 Sep 2022

Anyone know the email address for the equivalent of nexus in Durham? Was just getting warmed up on the jd before I realise my last bus of the day was leaving at 720pm. I know I shouldnt moan but I'm am paying twice for this "service"

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 03 Sep 2022

(03 Sep 2022, 9:58 pm)Rob44 Anyone know the email address for the equivalent of nexus in Durham? Was just getting warmed up on the jd before I realise my last bus of the day was leaving at 720pm. I know I shouldnt moan but I'm am paying twice for this "service"

https://www.durham.gov.uk/complaints - There's no transport body in Durham.

(03 Sep 2022, 10:01 pm)Storx https://www.durham.gov.uk/complaints - There's no transport body in Durham.
Many thanks

(03 Sep 2022, 9:58 pm)Rob44 Anyone know the email address for the equivalent of nexus in Durham? Was just getting warmed up on the jd before I realise my last bus of the day was leaving at 720pm. I know I shouldnt moan but I'm am paying twice for this "service"

passengertransport@durham.gov.uk
03000 268 667

(03 Sep 2022, 10:03 pm)Adrian passengertransport@durham.gov.uk
03000 268 667
Cheers

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - R852 PRG - 03 Sep 2022

In addition to the above, hit these guys up as well for further assistance: help@aamail.org.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - wibblejunior - 03 Sep 2022

realtravelresponse@durham.gov.uk

This one might work

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 03 Sep 2022

Surely, if you don't know the roads, you just set a sat nag?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Clifton Hignett III - 03 Sep 2022

Before this thread is inevitably locked due to the repetitive nature of the discourse within as well as the overzealous moderating we see regularly from the likes of Northern156 and Tyresmoke, I would like to add one last comment....

You don't get bus services this bad in North Korea

FACT!!!

(03 Sep 2022, 10:04 pm)Rob44 Cheers

It's a shame you didn't take your crystal ball out tonight Rob. I can see the 21.25 operated out of Newcastle and the 23.30 likely will too, given the inbound trip is on it's way.... assuming you're referring to the 28B!

Not that helpful things like app and website have been updated...

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 03 Sep 2022

The passenger transport email that Adrian provided, from experience (not regarding buses) responds pretty sharpish during office hours.

Cheers everyone. I'm really gutted that the 28b ran but hopefully it fit some punter home.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 03 Sep 2022

(03 Sep 2022, 6:58 pm)streetdeckfan Isn't it just a team of 2 for GNE these days?

And isn't Arriva's CS based in Sunderland? I'm sure last time I spoke to them I got someone with a funny accent

Luton, they have to contact depots with every query that the website doesn't answer. Job could easily be done by having one or two clued up members of staff in each operating area instead of huddled in Luton.

(03 Sep 2022, 8:42 pm)F114TML So what's the office at Doxford Park for?

UK headquarters of Arriva, along with the London offices, it manages both UK Bus and Rail businesses, finances, probably has a say in their EU operations too. Northumbria & Durham County management are based there too.