North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 22 Sep 2022

(22 Sep 2022, 10:14 pm)Ambassador Wasn’t sure where to put this but I’d like to report an anti GNE tree, it may be one of Malarkey’s or even Andreos tree variants.

See, GNE can’t serve High Street West at Gateshead because of a tree blocking the road,

However…this tree doesn’t seem to be attacking Arriva or JH Coaches who still serve the route.

I really hope this anti GNE tree can be restrained.
Is it possible that buses only hit this tree if they're deckers?

(22 Sep 2022, 10:19 pm)streetdeckfan You sure it's not just Unber standing at the side with a twig so they can complain about them going the wrong way?
Then again, that assumes they can manage to look away from Bustimes for more than 10 seconds
I can assure you it's not me, tbf I only look at bus times when I am tracking a bus for me or a friend, which when I notice rare workings.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 23 Sep 2022

(22 Sep 2022, 10:14 pm)Ambassador Wasn’t sure where to put this but I’d like to report an anti GNE tree, it may be one of Malarkey’s or even Andreos tree variants.

See, GNE can’t serve High Street West at Gateshead because of a tree blocking the road,

However…this tree doesn’t seem to be attacking Arriva or JH Coaches who still serve the route.

I’ve experienced the anti-GNE tree. It tried to claw me through an open cab window. It’s particularly vicious towards Ivory Towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 23 Sep 2022

(22 Sep 2022, 10:34 pm)Unber43 Is it possible that buses only hit this tree if they're deckers?

I can assure you it's not me, tbf I only look at bus times when I am tracking a bus for me or a friend, which when I notice rare workings.

Nope as the 29 went down the high street on saturday

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 23 Sep 2022

(23 Sep 2022, 10:34 am)Rob44 Nope as the 29 went down the high street on saturday
It's mixed some 29's down High Street West, some go straight down the High Street while some go straight along through Prince Consort RD then down Regent Street.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Malarkey - 23 Sep 2022

But what if the Anti GNE Tree was planted by GNE and they have used a form of Correction like in BBC Drama The Capture to show it being someone else when it's not...wouldn't put it past them or MG planted it there as revenge for them revoking his free staff travel after leaving GNE for LUMO, the possibilities are endless but it sure as hell isn't "Malarkey Tree Variant" because I for one wouldn't put my passengers through experiencing the eye sore that is Gateshead High Street.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 23 Sep 2022

I feel bad for anyone wanting the 57/49/49A tomorrow, there is a tonne of cancellations especially for the 49/49A.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 23 Sep 2022

(23 Sep 2022, 9:18 pm)Unber43 I feel bad for anyone wanting the 57/49/49A tomorrow, there is a tonne of cancellations especially for the 49/49A.

Bet you’re glad you’ve got that page back!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 23 Sep 2022

(23 Sep 2022, 9:54 pm)Dan Bet you’re glad you’ve got that page back!

I am so glad it's back, I didn't realise how needed that page was untill I waited an hour for the 50. 

Tbf GNE even tho they are in a disaster with the driver shortage the spreading out of the cancellations are quite good.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Jimmi - 24 Sep 2022

No Rail service or alternative transport being provided from Northern on the Durham Coast Line or between Middlesbrough and Saltburn this weekend (believe the TPE Rail Reps between Middlesbrough and Redcar Central are running however).
.jpg
Screenshot_20220924-073936_Chrome.jpg
Size 63.4 KB / Downloads 7

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - 54APhotography - 25 Sep 2022

(24 Sep 2022, 6:46 am)Jimmi No Rail service or alternative transport being provided from Northern on the Durham Coast Line or between Middlesbrough and Saltburn this weekend (believe the TPE Rail Reps between Middlesbrough and Redcar Central are running however).
Strange, there was a Levante II on Frederick Street, Sunderland at approx 12:30 yesterday on a rail replacement to Middlesbrough

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 28 Sep 2022

X21 needs a layover in Eldon Square, a lot of them are 10-30 mins late.

One yesterday was an hour late. The 70' Plates seems to be handling it well. 

But where are all the B5's theres only 2 on!

6003 (Crusader) seems to have broke down at Birtley, gladly it wasn’t on the A1 otherwise it would have came to a standstill.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 28 Sep 2022

(28 Sep 2022, 4:06 pm)Unber43 X21 needs a layover in Eldon Square, a lot of them are 10-30 mins late.

6003 (Crusader) seems to have broke down at Birtley, gladly it wasn’t on the A1 otherwise it would have came to a standstill.

Generally speaking, 1 PVR equates to roughly 3 extra drivers being required.

If you want GNE to add an extra bus back into the PVR to aid reliability, I hope you wouldn’t then complain when it results in a greater number of short-notice cancellations!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - mb134 - 28 Sep 2022

(28 Sep 2022, 4:06 pm)Unber43 But where are all the B5's theres only 2 on!

Can't you just check bustimes to find out?  Angel

I mean, the driver would have been able to pull onto the hard shoulder and cause zero disruption...

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 28 Sep 2022

(28 Sep 2022, 4:06 pm)Unber43 X21 needs a layover in Eldon Square, a lot of them are 10-30 mins late.

It’s not the vehicles, it’s a combination of the roadworks near the angel and new student week grinding the roads in Durham city to a halt, as it does this time every year.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 28 Sep 2022

(28 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm)BusLoverMum It’s not the vehicles, it’s a combination of the roadworks near the angel and new student week grinding the roads in Durham city to a halt, as it does this time every year.

There's also the roadworks in Bishop, there's 4 way lights at KwikFit so that can easily end up being a 10 minute wait to get through each way

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 29 Sep 2022

(28 Sep 2022, 7:38 pm)Dan Generally speaking, 1 PVR equates to roughly 3 extra drivers being required.

If you want GNE to add an extra bus back into the PVR to aid reliability, I hope you wouldn’t then complain when it results in a greater number of short-notice cancellations!

Nice to know. 

Me personally I would rahter have 5 listed cancellations, than 3 cancellations, and 4 X21's Not running between X & X. And thats only if they tell you, most of the time its just turned around at Gateshead without anyone knowing. 

A Friend as experienced it a lot on the 20/60, just turning up and going NIS, I would much rather the PVR +1 be added for more layover time and another 3-4 extra cancellations as you know they'll atleast run without waiting 5-25 mins then it going NIS and waiting even longer

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 29 Sep 2022

(28 Sep 2022, 10:11 pm)streetdeckfan There's also the roadworks in Bishop, there's 4 way lights at KwikFit so that can easily end up being a 10 minute wait to get through each way
They are horrendous.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 29 Sep 2022

The X21 should've been terminated at Durham imo with ticket acceptance on the 6 between Durham and West Auckland, with the same in return with the X12 cancelled between Durham and Newcastle with tickets accepted on the X21.

It's ridiculous that there's duplicate services running when other areas have gaps all over the place at both depots as much as the inconvenience is for changing buses. The 21 between Brandon and Durham being another.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 29 Sep 2022

(29 Sep 2022, 9:06 pm)Storx The X21 should've been terminated at Durham imo with ticket acceptance on the 6 between Durham and West Auckland, with the same in return with the X12 cancelled between Durham and Newcastle with tickets accepted on the X21.

It's ridiculous that there's duplicate services running when other areas have gaps all over the place at both depots as much as the inconvenience is for changing buses. The 21 between Brandon and Durham being another.
But that’s not going to happen. 

X21 from when I've been on it are getting better loadings than the 6.

Also no one is going to use the bus if they have to change buses, no one wants that.
Its the same when people bang on about GNE with tables/USBs thats to get people who would use the car to start using the bus. If its a 55' Plate OmniDekka no one wants to travel on that unless you need to, its about making it passenger freindly, tables do that whether people like it or not. If I was to go from Newcastle to Consett I would much rather have a E400 MMC, than some OmniDekka if I had the option for taking the car. If I was stuck on nosey streetlite or older awfully loud G1 I would take the car.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 29 Sep 2022

(29 Sep 2022, 9:25 pm)Unber43 But that’s not going to happen. 

X21 from when I've been on it are getting better loadings than the 6.

Also no one is going to use the bus if they have to change buses, no one wants that.
Its the same when people bang on about GNE with tables/USBs thats to get people who would use the car to start using the bus. If its a 55' Plate OmniDekka no one wants to travel on that unless you need to, its about making it passenger freindly, tables do that whether people like it or not. If I was to go from Newcastle to Consett I would much rather have a E400 MMC, than some OmniDekka if I had the option for taking the car. If I was stuck on nosey streetlite or older awfully loud G1 I would take the car.

That's not the point though, there's other areas with services all over the place and there's duplicate services running.

Both Stockton and Riverside are having cancellations.

I'm sure the residents in Blaydon appreciate the hourly bus service at rush hour tomorrow on the 12 while there's 6 buses an hour running between Durham and Bishop Auckland (if Arriva haven't cancelled half their services) especially when that service used to be 4 buses an hour not too long ago.

It's all good operating buses in other operating areas but they should look after their own customers first. The people in Blaydon / Winlaton have no alternative, those going to Bishop Auckland have 4 buses an hour with a change.