North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions. - NL62WVW - 16 Sep 2021

(16 Sep 2021, 10:42 am)Rob44 Just checking to bus cancellation for tonight. The way I've read it the 2020 28b from Newcastle is not running... fine apart from the fact there is no 28b leaving at that time???

It's a 28 that is 2020 from Newcastle, its running now as I'm driving it

RE: Disruptions. - Thomas12 - 16 Sep 2021

The Q3 service seems to be getting worse for disruption, which seems to be unrelated to driver availability.

I can deal with that, as the live tracker is there. What I am sick of is the last run from Wallsend being missed. It happens far too often, seems to be a weekly occurrence at least.

For example today, the service was running around 20 minutes late getting into Newcastle from Great Park. I'm guessing the driver than transferred the passengers onto the following service. It then ran light to Walker Shops to restart the journey, completely missing out the Wallsend-Walker section. To operate from Wallsend it would have only been 15 minutes or so late.

Surely this can't be deemed acceptable? I think someone at GNE needs to look into the Q3, maybe adding more time, or possibly splitting the route at Newcastle. It's one of the most unreliable routes I have used.

RE: Disruptions. - Adrian - 16 Sep 2021

(16 Sep 2021, 6:33 pm)Thomas12 The Q3 service seems to be getting worse for disruption, which seems to be unrelated to driver availability.

I can deal with that, as the live tracker is there. What I am sick of is the last run from Wallsend being missed. It happens far too often, seems to be a weekly occurrence at least.

For example today, the service was running around 20 minutes late getting into Newcastle from Great Park. I'm guessing the driver than transferred the passengers onto the following service. It then ran light to Walker Shops to restart the journey, completely missing out the Wallsend-Walker section. To operate from Wallsend it would have only been 15 minutes or so late.

Surely this can't be deemed acceptable? I think someone at GNE needs to look into the Q3, maybe adding more time, or possibly splitting the route at Newcastle. It's one of the most unreliable routes I have used.

It highlights the need, more than ever, for NEBus to come up with some consistent 'journey guarantee' scheme across at least the three principal operators. It's completely unacceptable for the last journey of the day to be axed. I am aware of and appreciate the current predicaments re: driver shortages, but these actions are potentially leaving children and vulnerable adults stood waiting without any other options. 

If there's absolutely no way to provide the last journey of the evening, customers need to know what applies and what their options are. That could be whereby a route is covered by diverting a similar service (like what sometimes happens with X9/X10), that tickets will be valid with another operator (if on a shared corridor) or a complimentary taxi being called.

RE: Disruptions. - streetdeckfan - 16 Sep 2021

(16 Sep 2021, 7:18 pm)Adrian It highlights the need, more than ever, for NEBus to come up with some consistent 'journey guarantee' scheme across at least the three principal operators. It's completely unacceptable for the last journey of the day to be axed. I am aware of and appreciate the current predicaments re: driver shortages, but these actions are potentially leaving children and vulnerable adults stood waiting without any other options. 

If there's absolutely no way to provide the last journey of the evening, customers need to know what applies and what their options are. That could be whereby a route is covered by diverting a similar service (like what sometimes happens with X9/X10), that tickets will be valid with another operator (if on a shared corridor) or a complimentary taxi being called.

That would require customers to actually be able to contact someone at GNE after 5pm or at the weekends though!

I definitely think there needs to be a 'Delay Repay' system for buses, the same way it's available for trains. If anything it'll give them an incentive to actually run services rather than cancelling, or dropping sections of routes when things are running late.

RE: Disruptions. - Thomas12 - 16 Sep 2021

(16 Sep 2021, 7:18 pm)Adrian It highlights the need, more than ever, for NEBus to come up with some consistent 'journey guarantee' scheme across at least the three principal operators. It's completely unacceptable for the last journey of the day to be axed. I am aware of and appreciate the current predicaments re: driver shortages, but these actions are potentially leaving children and vulnerable adults stood waiting without any other options. 

I agree - I would be a bit less bothered if it was due to driver shortages, and was listed on the website. But it mostly just seems to be the service running late and then starting from Walker instead of Wallsend. You'd think the control room would be aware of it being the last service and having it operate anyway, regardless of a 15 or so minute delay. It is rarely even mentioned on the Go North East twitter page like a lot of disruptions. 

I'm lucky as I can make the journey by catching the service 1 (which is very reliable, despite having a longer route!), although it is a much longer walk and not very convenient. Other passengers who cannot get an alternative bus should be offered an alternative as you mentioned, like a taxi.

(16 Sep 2021, 7:47 pm)streetdeckfan That would require customers to actually be able to contact someone at GNE after 5pm or at the weekends though!

I definitely think there needs to be a 'Delay Repay' system for buses, the same way it's available for trains. If anything it'll give them an incentive to actually run services rather than cancelling, or dropping sections of routes when things are running late.

That would be a very good idea!

RE: Disruptions. - stagecoachbusdepot - 16 Sep 2021

(16 Sep 2021, 8:26 pm)Thomas12 I agree - I would be a bit less bothered if it was due to driver shortages, and was listed on the website. But it mostly just seems to be the service running late and then starting from Walker instead of Wallsend. You'd think the control room would be aware of it being the last service and having it operate anyway, regardless of a 15 or so minute delay. It is rarely even mentioned on the Go North East twitter page like a lot of disruptions. 

I'm lucky as I can make the journey by catching the service 1 (which is very reliable, despite having a longer route!), although it is a much longer walk and not very convenient. Other passengers who cannot get an alternative bus should be offered an alternative as you mentioned, like a taxi.

That would be a very good idea!

It’s a great improvement from GNE to have the list published, and well in advance too (it must take some effort compiling and updating too, given the sheer number of journeys affected).  It is a shame to see though that even now, three of the last buses (10, 26, X72) are planned to be cancelled tomorrow evening – and two of these (10, X72) on low frequency services so services end an hour early.  Conscious it will be to do with rotas etc but it’s a real shame that contingencies couldn’t be made to protect last buses (potentially at the expense of earlier runs, where more alternatives may still be available, or at least the impact is a 1 hour delay rather than an overnight one).  Moreover it seems a shame that shortages are affecting the lower frequency services in this way – e.g. the loss of a 27 which runs every 30 mins would be less impactful to passengers than cancelling hourly runs on the 10 or X72?

Very much agree with the other comments about the need for absolute transparency from all operators (not just GNE) on what the failsafe is whether that’s a taxi to reclaim, a number to call for one to be arranged by the company, direction to an alternative/diverted service or whatever.  “Sorry, we’re not running, unlucky” (or in the case of SNE and presumably ANE – just nothing turning up) isn’t anything like good enough if the operators are to have any chance in the slightest of convincing people buses are reliable, feasible options.  I’d wager it would only take one instance of being stranded in Hexham or, God forbid, Stanley for anyone giving the bus a try to conclude ‘never again’…

RE: Disruptions. - Ambassador - 16 Sep 2021

My only feedback, and it’s entirely PR wise would be for the CEO not to retweet the Operations Director tweet talking about all the extra resource for the Great North Run whilst your cancelling services left, right and centre (understandably so or not)

https://twitter.com/will_sewell8/status/1437139905453465600?s=21

Does make me wonder if GNE have in house PR training at all, there’s a lot of foot in mouth and mixed messaging at times. Customer Service are probably the worst offenders

RE: Disruptions. - Acky81 - 16 Sep 2021

5 breakdowns on service 2 and 2A just today is not good enough these versa buses are shite

RE: Disruptions. - Chris 1 - 17 Sep 2021

(16 Sep 2021, 9:25 pm)stagecoachbusdepot It’s a great improvement from GNE to have the list published, and well in advance too (it must take some effort compiling and updating too, given the sheer number of journeys affected).  It is a shame to see though that even now, three of the last buses (10, 26, X72) are planned to be cancelled tomorrow evening – and two of these (10, X72) on low frequency services so services end an hour early.  Conscious it will be to do with rotas etc but it’s a real shame that contingencies couldn’t be made to protect last buses (potentially at the expense of earlier runs, where more alternatives may still be available, or at least the impact is a 1 hour delay rather than an overnight one).  Moreover it seems a shame that shortages are affecting the lower frequency services in this way – e.g. the loss of a 27 which runs every 30 mins would be less impactful to passengers than cancelling hourly runs on the 10 or X72?

Very much agree with the other comments about the need for absolute transparency from all operators (not just GNE) on what the failsafe is whether that’s a taxi to reclaim, a number to call for one to be arranged by the company, direction to an alternative/diverted service or whatever.  “Sorry, we’re not running, unlucky” (or in the case of SNE and presumably ANE – just nothing turning up) isn’t anything like good enough if the operators are to have any chance in the slightest of convincing people buses are reliable, feasible options.  I’d wager it would only take one instance of being stranded in Hexham or, God forbid, Stanley for anyone giving the bus a try to conclude ‘never again’…

Agree it's good to see the list published in advance so people can make alternate arrangements.  I'd normally agree about the last buses being a must to run (and the first bus of the day, today's 69 ahem...) but tonight there's the added complication of the Newcastle match so maybe they would prioritise the running of journeys after full time rather than later on?

RE: Disruptions. - pbjd - 17 Sep 2021

(16 Sep 2021, 9:25 pm)stagecoachbusdepot It’s a great improvement from GNE to have the list published, and well in advance too (it must take some effort compiling and updating too, given the sheer number of journeys affected).  It is a shame to see though that even now, three of the last buses (10, 26, X72) are planned to be cancelled tomorrow evening – and two of these (10, X72) on low frequency services so services end an hour early.  Conscious it will be to do with rotas etc but it’s a real shame that contingencies couldn’t be made to protect last buses (potentially at the expense of earlier runs, where more alternatives may still be available, or at least the impact is a 1 hour delay rather than an overnight one).  Moreover it seems a shame that shortages are affecting the lower frequency services in this way – e.g. the loss of a 27 which runs every 30 mins would be less impactful to passengers than cancelling hourly runs on the 10 or X72?

Tonight the last full 26 from South Shields isn't running and nor is the one before meaning the 2146 is the last one as the 2316 only runs to Jarrow, in addition the last one from Luke's Lane is also missing tonight. In addition a 2200 10A from Newcastle is listed mssing, so its anyones guess whether this typo is thw 2220 or the last trip at 2300.
Whiilst I appreciate finding a driver willing to work OT that late or one willing whose following days shift isn't too early for them to help is a challenge, I'd sooner see a trip on an hourly route missing at 2000 than 2300 as it still means the final trip has ran. Hopefully the issues will be eased by the planned move to emegency timetables from the 25th.

It's a shame to see Arriva didn't keep up listing their dropped services as that would've helped their perception a lot, Stagecoach however is a guess as they very rarely list missing trips and if they do it's on a morning only at South Shields, which I suspect links in with a specific person at that depots shifts. Certainly a put off even for me the risk of having to cough up for a taxi because last services may not show.

RE: Disruptions. - Adrian - 17 Sep 2021

Agree that it's a big improvement to see a published list, but I wonder if it can be improved at all to make it more customer friendly? e.g. something in the following format:

"Berries 2A"
"The following services from Washington have been cancelled: xx.xx, yy.yy, zz.zz
Customers travelling to: 
* Biddick can use the Little Pinks 84
* Between Biddick and Penshaw Station Road can use the Connections4
* Sunderland City Centre can use the Road Ranger 8 or Berries 2
* Chester Road can use the Berries 2"

It might be a bit extra work, but it'd be a hell of a lot easier for those less familiar with buses.

I also think it'd be worthwhile ensuring a daily printed list is available at the major bus stations, again acknowledging that not everyone has a smartphone or Internet access.

RE: Disruptions. - James101 - 17 Sep 2021

If we're in for medium-term disruptions rather than a matter of days is it time to look at temporary timetables with reduced headways for services every 20 minutes or more? Freeing up resources for a a less frequent but more reliable network?

RE: Disruptions. - Dan - 17 Sep 2021

(17 Sep 2021, 9:21 am)Adrian I also think it'd be worthwhile ensuring a daily printed list is available at the major bus stations, again acknowledging that not everyone has a smartphone or Internet access.

This is happening already where possible - for example I understand it's posted on the office window of the drivers' canteen at Chester-le-Street Front Street, and at other 'manned' bus stations. Clearly bus stations which aren't manned are going to be more of a challenge, as you'd need a member of staff to take time out of their day to do this (when the alternative is they could be covering mileage on the road).

(17 Sep 2021, 10:29 am)Dan This is happening already where possible - for example I understand it's posted on the office window of the drivers' canteen at Chester-le-Street Front Street, and at other 'manned' bus stations. Clearly bus stations which aren't manned are going to be more of a challenge, as you'd need a member of staff to take time out of their day to do this (when the alternative is they could be covering mileage on the road).

Sounds good. I'd just noticed there wasn't anything in the Galleries, which is perhaps a missed opportunity given the number of staff going back and forth between the depot and bus station all day. I realise other places, such as Durham temporarily, will be impractical though.

I'd wondered about the likes of Gateshead and Park Lane, but then again, Nexus will probably insist in wanting to write it out with chalk on slate.

RE: Disruptions. - Rob44 - 17 Sep 2021

(16 Sep 2021, 1:40 pm)NL62WVW It's a 28 that is 2020 from Newcastle, its running now as I'm driving it

Thanks for the info. Bet theirs not many on seen as it was on the cancelled list. Although as the 28b.

RE: Disruptions. - V514DFT - 17 Sep 2021

All 3 companies are struggling,its really starting to show now,buses cancelled or running with severe delays,cant remember what day it was,but 3 22's were running together,there was 2 GNE Coasters running together,today (17.9.21),my 306 to Billy Mill was 7 minutes late,the return,308 at 15.34 from Billy Mill was early but couldnt board as it was 'bus full' (which i thought had been abolished),the 15.40 306 from Billy Mill was 16 minutes late,and a massive gap between the 15.34 308,the next 308 should of been 15.49,but didnt turn up until 16.02

Disruptions. - big mac - 17 Sep 2021

With the list that GNE are publishing on the website regarding cancellations, it says these services "are not expected to run". Given the way that's worded does that mean that some journeys that appear on the list do end up operating after all?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions. - Train8261 - 17 Sep 2021

(17 Sep 2021, 6:43 pm)V514DFT All 3 companies are struggling,its really starting to show now,buses cancelled or running with severe delays,cant remember what day it was,but 3 22's were running together,there was 2 GNE Coasters running together,today (17.9.21),my 306 to Billy Mill was 7 minutes late,the return,308 at 15.34 from Billy Mill was early but couldnt board as it was 'bus full' (which i thought had been abolished),the 15.40 306 from Billy Mill was 16 minutes late,and a massive gap between the 15.34 308,the next 308 should of been 15.49,but didnt turn up until 16.02
So I wasn't seeing things when I saw a Coaster StreetLite and a Corp together 
https://flic.kr/p/2mrNWKa (2019 Corp)
https://flic.kr/p/2mrNW3Z (Coaster)

(17 Sep 2021, 7:00 pm)big mac With the list that GNE are publishing on the website regarding cancellations, it says these services "are not expected to run".  Given the way that's worded does that mean that some journeys that appear on the list do end up operating after all?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Yep, it seems the first post for the day is the worse case scenario. It is repeatedly updated with journeys reinstated throughout the day.

RE: Disruptions. - Storx - 17 Sep 2021

(17 Sep 2021, 6:43 pm)V514DFT All 3 companies are struggling,its really starting to show now,buses cancelled or running with severe delays,cant remember what day it was,but 3 22's were running together,there was 2 GNE Coasters running together,today (17.9.21),my 306 to Billy Mill was 7 minutes late,the return,308 at 15.34 from Billy Mill was early but couldnt board as it was 'bus full' (which i thought had been abolished),the 15.40 306 from Billy Mill was 16 minutes late,and a massive gap between the 15.34 308,the next 308 should of been 15.49,but didnt turn up until 16.02

I'm not 100% sure whether the Arriva Northumbria shortages today has been Covid related or whether they 'ran out' of buses.

At Blyth:

1461 is obviously VOR
1501 appears to have broken down at South Beach on the X7 at around 15:30
7410 is broken
7606 I guess is VOR
7630 got pulled off early this morning
7633 also got pulled off this morning

Similar has been going on at both Ashington and Jesmond aswell, seems to be a dropped X21 around 4pm board while the 57 has had a decker since the usual Solos are broken again (2809) and Jesmond has had a selection of Solos on the 52/53/54 boards which isn't normal neither.

I could be wrong though.