North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MurdnunoC - 02 Oct 2022

(02 Oct 2022, 4:16 pm)streetdeckfan Only if I can keep bringing up how canny Liz Truss is, and how she actually has a plan...

There's an extra £30 surcharge for that particular fetish, but I'm willing to accommodate

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 02 Oct 2022

(02 Oct 2022, 4:16 pm)streetdeckfan Only if I can keep bringing up how canny Liz Truss is, and how she actually has a plan...

X21 it is then!
Nobody should have to listen to that sort of craic. Not even for an extra £30 surcharge

(02 Oct 2022, 4:44 pm)MurdnunoC There's an extra £30 surcharge for that particular fetish, but I'm willing to accommodate

Don't do it. 
Don't lower yourself.

You're worth more than that.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 02 Oct 2022

clearly the X21 isn't as much of a problem as you make it out to be!  Angel

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 02 Oct 2022

(02 Oct 2022, 1:10 pm)Unber43 Its the same when they put out 

we are experiencing high passenger levels and traffic congestion our services are experiencing delays upto 45 mins

I mean thats great, but where, will my service be affected? Will Services be cancelled? Are they turning at Gateshead (unannounced a lot do). 

Saturday was just a catastrophe as you say before the football match in Sunderland and the Protest in newcastle. Both were planned. 

Its again bad planning.

Just curious what's this plan since you seem to have an idea?

You've got no extra drivers to do this plan either since there isn't any.

The literal only 'plan' would be to cancel the 56 outright from Newcastle to Wrekenton and make people change buses but I know that wouldn't be popular and rightly so as the other end of the route was more important yesterday or just cancel everything else at Deptford which again wouldn't be popular and rightly so.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 02 Oct 2022

(02 Oct 2022, 7:38 pm)Storx Just curious what's this plan since you seem to have an idea?

You've got no extra drivers to do this plan either since there isn't any.

The literal only 'plan' would be to cancel the 56 outright from Newcastle to Wrekenton and make people change buses but I know that wouldn't be popular and rightly so as the other end of the route was more important yesterday or just cancel everything else at Deptford which again wouldn't be popular and rightly so.
Well Ill start with the easy ones. 

65 - a Driver will come in a Streetlite to change drivers so they can leave ontime. 
20 - Curb that at Park Lane 
X45 - Curb that at Consett 
16 - Terminate at Consett 

Really there isn't a lot you can do without adding anymore drivers, but I personally would rather have 4 more cancelled services than 4 sorry but due to a delayed X the X service won't run to X.

I understand delays happen, however when GNE twitter page is like 1 breakdown for every 6 delayed operation (probably more) tweets it gets a bit ridiculous.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 02 Oct 2022

(02 Oct 2022, 7:16 pm)omnicity4659 clearly the X21 isn't as much of a problem as you make it out to be!  Angel

When was the last time I complained about the X21?

Even if I had a car, I'd probably still use it the same as I do now!

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 02 Oct 2022

(02 Oct 2022, 7:48 pm)Unber43 Well Ill start with the easy ones. 

65 - a Driver will come in a Streetlite to change drivers so they can leave ontime. 

Really there isn't a lot you can do without adding anymore drivers, but I personally would rather have 4 more cancelled services than 4 sorry but due to a delayed X the X service won't run to X.

I understand delays happen, however when GNE twitter page is like 1 breakdown for every 6 delayed operation (probably more) tweets it gets a bit ridiculous.

If the 16 and X45 didn’t run to Hownsgill, how would the drivers get from the depot to the bus station?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 02 Oct 2022

(02 Oct 2022, 7:48 pm)Unber43 Well Ill start with the easy ones. 

Can't say much on the operations on the 65 but the other 3 would barely make a difference 5 minutes max.

Like yesterday it's hard to tell where the delays were going to be, it was always obvious that there was going to be problems on the 56 but where do you cancel them. The 5/9/24 had issues aswell but again there's not much you can really do.

The bigger problems with GNE is the timetables are way too tight but then your stuck in a circle if you add minutes on it's more PVR and there's no-one to drive it. Some routes, the X21 in particular, have stupidly short layover times with only 4 minutes at each end and most routes are similar.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 02 Oct 2022

(02 Oct 2022, 9:07 pm)Storx Can't say much on the operations on the 65 but the other 3 would barely make a difference 5 minutes max.

Like yesterday it's hard to tell where the delays were going to be, it was always obvious that there was going to be problems on the 56 but where do you cancel them. The 5/9/24 had issues aswell but again there's not much you can really do.

The bigger problems with GNE is the timetables are way too tight but then your stuck in a circle if you add minutes on it's more PVR and there's no-one to drive it. Some routes, the X21 in particular, have stupidly short layover times with only 4 minutes at each end and most routes are similar.
Thats what I was saying layover times really.

I know the 9 used to have like 20 mins at Sunderland, the 24 has around 10, 20 has around 10 from various points from Stand D to Stand L, 21 has about 7/8 at Eldon Square I think its only a couple mins at CLS. But even routes with bigger layover times the X1 (which I think has 10 mins either end) the 60 has 12 at Sunderland still regularly go NIS. 

Didn't Martjin say that they were going to introduce something to stop this I can't remember what it was called but he name dropped the X1, 21 & 60 in it. 

But also parking at Eldon Square is a bit of a joke with arriva and GNE parking their services there when theres no driver. I've seen many Pulars and Yutongs in their.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 03 Oct 2022

It seems GCT have gone to pot yet again, incidentally coinciding with their recent contract wins (67/69, 82A etc.).

The 335 seems to be the worst effected - 3 hour gaps this evening. I've stopped using it as the reliability has been shocking over the past few weeks.

Pointless complaining to Nexus, more use talking to a brick wall.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 03 Oct 2022

(03 Oct 2022, 5:35 pm)Thomas12 It seems GCT have gone to pot yet again, incidentally coinciding with their recent contract wins (67/69, 82A etc.).

The 335 seems to be the worst effected - 3 hour gaps this evening. I've stopped using it as the reliability has been shocking over the past few weeks.

Pointless complaining to Nexus, more use talking to a brick wall.

It’ll be fun when they start operation of the Durham Park & Ride in a few weeks…

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 03 Oct 2022

(03 Oct 2022, 11:42 pm)Dan It’ll be fun when they start operation of the Durham Park & Ride in a few weeks…

Do we know what vehicles they'll be using?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ianthegoon - 04 Oct 2022

(03 Oct 2022, 11:43 pm)streetdeckfan Do we know what vehicles they'll be using?

We think they'll be using vehicles?

Judging by their performance on some of the routes they've won, I assumed they'll not send anything out but keep taking the money!

(Seriously ....  If you don't complain, no-one will be any the wiser that the service is not meeting requirements.  Our local operator has been taking the **** with a route that should have six buses an hour, resulting in passengers regularly having waits of 45 minutes or so ..... repeated complaints and some very barbed articles in the press, including national BBC, have persuaded the operator that they need to something if they wish to continue in the area!)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 04 Oct 2022

(03 Oct 2022, 11:42 pm)Dan It’ll be fun when they start operation of the Durham Park & Ride in a few weeks…

That will be interesting! I’ll be expecting very few buses on the 342 and 335 in that case then.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 05 Oct 2022

Oh, blimey :s

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 06 Oct 2022

I see the infamous anti GNE tree still hasn’t been removed from High St West

Have gne got such dwindling influence they can even get gateshead council to trim a few branches

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 06 Oct 2022

(06 Oct 2022, 9:42 pm)Ambassador I see the infamous anti GNE tree still hasn’t been removed from High St West

Have gne got such dwindling influence they can even get gateshead council to trim a few branches
Are they still going down Gateshead High Street.

its a tree.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - idiot - 07 Oct 2022

Just a thought. In light of the all bus operators short staffed surely a mutual ticket acceptance would be a good move for passengers?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 07 Oct 2022

#bestever 
.png
Screenshot_20221007-162103.png
Size 105.18 KB / Downloads 6

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Drifter60 - 07 Oct 2022

(07 Oct 2022, 3:23 pm)BusLoverMum #bestever 

I seen that tweet and it just feels badly worded, which to me makes it feel worse than it needs to be. ‘All areas’ ‘most services’ just seems unnecessarily vague. It feels like a template was used that is meant to be service/area specific. It’s Friday, often there’s higher than usual traffic compared to other weekdays etc. so delays may happen at various point across the network but a tweet such as this: 

We are sorry but many of our services across the region are suffering delays of up to 35 minutes, due to traffic congestion and delayed operation. Please allow extra time for travel. 

At least the above is a more rounded statement. Some may say, considering they continue to post service specific updates, it’s up for debate if even the above is even that useful.