North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 07 Oct 2022

All the tweets are very much a fill in the gaps job but this one is definitely "sod it, it's Friday, the roads are awful, everything is getting held up, OK."

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 07 Oct 2022

I was on a X1 from Peterlee, when I got on it said it was going to Newcastle as I expected as it wasn't on the Short-Term Cancellation list online. Leaving Houghton, the next stop announcement. "This is the X1 to Washington Galleries".

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 08 Oct 2022

(07 Oct 2022, 8:41 pm)nova347 I was on a X1 from Peterlee, when I got on it said it was going to Newcastle as I expected as it wasn't on the Short-Term Cancellation list online. Leaving Houghton, the next stop announcement. "This is the X1 to Washington Galleries".

Saw one today. Standing room only from Shiney Row.
The one behind was busy and was able to pick up the slack.

I assume the first one was 15mins late, rather than the second being 15mins early.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 08 Oct 2022

Newcastle for GNE what a joke, I know it was the traffic but two 47's not running a now, a X45, 3 21's, 2 X1's all NIS a 10A leaving 20 mins late, an X10 leaving 10 mins late

In the space of about 30 mins. Only three buses (heading through Gateshead/Metro) actually ran in that 30 mins.

Not to mention around 4pm the queue for the X21/21 was up to Stand C and the X1 queue at Stand B with 3 coming in together.

5pm X10 was absolutely rammed full of people who would be getting the train and footballs fans. Glad I got out of Eldon Square when it did.

Another Saturday another disgraceful performance from GNE.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - citaro5284 - 08 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 6:18 pm)Unber43 Newcastle for GNE what a joke, I know it was the traffic but two 47's not running a now, a X45, 3 21's, 2 X1's all NIS a 10A leaving 20 mins late, an X10 leaving 10 mins late

In the space of about 30 mins. Only three buses (heading through Gateshead/Metro) actually ran in that 30 mins.

Not to mention around 4pm the queue for the X21/21 was up to Stand C and the X1 queue at Stand B with 3 coming in together.

5pm X10 was absolutely rammed full of people who would be getting the train and footballs fans. Glad I got out of Eldon Square when it did.

Think all operators were affected.  All Morpeth express services in and out of Newcastle this afternoon were running with excessive delays.  The X18 I was on, was nearly 30L (due at 1245 and left around 1313) when I boarded at Morpeth and the X15 before that was also bordering on 30L too.

Also, seen a couple of NIS vehicles moving around Ashington, so guessing the X21/X22 were getting delayed too.  

Junior Great North Run, Newcastle at home and a rail strike will all have compounded issues today.

You seem to paint the idea that it is only GNE that are piss poor, but when in reality its not.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 08 Oct 2022

The 21 is woeful, can we go back to the 90s when GNE didn’t run it?

Leaving early from Eldon square, no drivers for changeovers at gateshead, yet again nothing for over an hour in low fell thanks to full angels

I honestly think gateshead central couldn’t do any worse than pure incompetence from GNE

Can we add 30 minute unannounced gaps to the service. Bring on franchising,

Clear out the deadwood at Bensham

The first 21 in 40 minutes arrives at Eldon square…..goes out of service and drives off. Better than ever

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 08 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 6:18 pm)Unber43 Newcastle for GNE what a joke, I know it was the traffic but two 47's not running a now, a X45, 3 21's, 2 X1's all NIS a 10A leaving 20 mins late, an X10 leaving 10 mins late

What do you expect? Buses can’t fly over traffic. 

there’s a rail strike and match day traffic, can’t expect buses to run on time in all honesty.

(08 Oct 2022, 7:01 pm)Thomas12 What do you expect? Buses can’t fly over traffic. 

there’s a rail strike and match day traffic, can’t expect buses to run on time in all honesty.

Sorry but it’s planning, you know there’s a rail strike. 

adjust accordingly and adapt, GNE management is simply willfully incompetent

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 08 Oct 2022

Don't come to Sunderland when Stagecoach have let a couple of new drivers loose on the 3...

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 08 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 7:01 pm)Thomas12 What do you expect? Buses can’t fly over traffic. 

It's pointless people like just moaning for the sake of it lately about disruptions, it was the same last week. They'd winge if they cancelled half the services to have a more stable timetable aswell which is the alternative since they can't use robots to drive buses.

Ironic as they're probably the people who get on buses, abuse the driver, when they can't do anything, and they quit leading to more delays.

This should be aimed at the government if anyone as it's massively their fault.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 08 Oct 2022

Well I managed to get the 28b at 620 tonight but the q for the x21..... well let's say I doubt they all hot on. Then there were a couple of dozen waiting at gateshead too.

Better than last night though when the 730pm 28b didnt show... went for a pint of too and came back 5 minutes before it was due to see it fly past. Took me 3 hours to get yem

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 08 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 7:04 pm)Ambassador Sorry but it’s planning, you know there’s a rail strike. 

adjust accordingly and adapt, GNE management is simply willfully incompetent
It was a case of buses being 20/30 mins late. The Reliability of the X1 is always woeful and thats before its left Washington, most of the time two/three follow each other into newcastle same with the 21 two/three at a time following each other, its like that most of the time during the day.

(08 Oct 2022, 7:24 pm)Storx It's pointless people like just moaning for the sake of it lately about disruptions, it was the same last week. They'd winge if they cancelled half the services to have a more stable timetable aswell which is the alternative since they can't use robots to drive buses.

Ironic as they're probably the people who get on buses, abuse the driver, when they can't do anything, and they quit leading to more delays.

This should be aimed at the government if anyone as it's massively their fault.
Well when you waited 30 mins for a bus to the metrocentre from Eldon Square when they're advertised to be every 5 mins, which I don't even think is the case when/if the 10 goes back to the old timetable. 

Same with the 21 advertised to be every 10 mins, you're waiting 30 mins and thats not even with any cancelled bus, X21 an hour. 

And also I don't know if it was aimed at me but I would never take any anger out at the driver its not their fault or GNE CS team too. However they can say sorry and I know they mean it however its the same thing for months and sometimes sorry just isn't good enough we've been through 2 timetable changes since July and this has been an issue since before. 

They have just cut the timetables making everything even worse.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - stagecoachbusdepot - 08 Oct 2022

I really struggle to see how anyone could expect buses to be running anything like to time with the absolute mess of traffic chaos seemingly everywhere today. Seems the combination of a Newcastle home match, Junior GNR, Network Rail Strike and the usual misery of endless roadworks all being allowed to happen at the same time buggered the roads up a bit. All the planning in the world at Bensham, the Wheatsheaf or wherever can't do much about horrific traffic queues and stupidly timed traffic signals. One of the many queues I was stuck in today was on CME/Tyne Bridge and saw 3 X1s heading into Toon within 5 mins of each other. I did wonder why one or more hadn't been regulated at Gateshead, but then of course people would only moan that the queue at Eldon Square was too long for the one that turned up. Sometimes they just cannot win.

(08 Oct 2022, 10:50 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I really struggle to see how anyone could expect buses to be running anything like to time with the absolute mess of traffic chaos seemingly everywhere today.  Seems the combination of a Newcastle home match, Junior GNR, Network Rail Strike and the usual misery of endless roadworks all being allowed to happen at the same time buggered the roads up a bit.  All the planning in the world at Bensham, the Wheatsheaf or wherever can't do much about horrific traffic queues and stupidly timed traffic signals.  One of the many queues I was stuck in today was on CME/Tyne Bridge and saw 3 X1s heading into Toon within 5 mins of each other.  I did wonder why one or more hadn't been regulated at Gateshead, but then of course people would only moan that the queue at Eldon Square was too long for the one that turned up.  Sometimes they just cannot win.

I think, from my end, we’d see sympathy if this was an issue limited to this Saturday and all the issues it brings. Even pre covid on some routes, there was zero common sense. I’d Love if this was a one off…

However…it’s not, it’s every Saturday, in most cases it’s every weekday. It’s a lack of communication which is a huge issue. The inbound standing fully 21 I was on sat for ten minutes at Gateshead as there was no driver…absolutely no communication from the 10 gne drivers around stand N (not necc their role but from a  leisure customer point of view…) I’m all but a leisure traveller these days and I’m fortunate that I can afford an Uber home, as I did tonight as the service is intolerably late and unreliable.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 09 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 10:50 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I really struggle to see how anyone could expect buses to be running anything like to time with the absolute mess of traffic chaos seemingly everywhere today.  Seems the combination of a Newcastle home match, Junior GNR, Network Rail Strike and the usual misery of endless roadworks all being allowed to happen at the same time buggered the roads up a bit.  All the planning in the world at Bensham, the Wheatsheaf or wherever can't do much about horrific traffic queues and stupidly timed traffic signals.  One of the many queues I was stuck in today was on CME/Tyne Bridge and saw 3 X1s heading into Toon within 5 mins of each other.  I did wonder why one or more hadn't been regulated at Gateshead, but then of course people would only moan that the queue at Eldon Square was too long for the one that turned up.  Sometimes they just cannot win.
Yeah, I would get it if its a one off, but its not its every day for the X1's, it everyday for a lot of services without the Rail Strikes and Football Matches

Same with the X45/X30/X31 its daily that journeys are cancelled cos of delays, same with the 21. 

And turning buses at Gateshead is absolutely useless when there are people queing from X1 Stand to Stand A. and people queing from Stand B to the Door and the buses turning at Metro and just leaving NIS.

Buses leaving NIS is great to try and get them back on time however they just end up being late again. 

And GNE CS can say Sorry, however now Sorry isn't good enough. Its a failing timetable, its not a one off its been like this for months.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 09 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 11:13 pm)Ambassador I think, from my end, we’d see sympathy if this was an issue limited to this Saturday and all the issues it brings. Even pre covid on some routes, there was zero common sense. I’d Love if this was a one off…

However…it’s not, it’s every Saturday, in most cases it’s every weekday. It’s a lack of communication which is a huge issue. The inbound standing fully 21 I was on sat for ten minutes at Gateshead as there was no driver…absolutely no communication from the 10 gne drivers around stand N (not necc their role but from a  leisure customer point of view…) I’m all but a leisure traveller these days and I’m fortunate that I can afford an Uber home, as I did tonight as the service is intolerably late and unreliable.

Eldest Constantopolous has abandoned the bus completely when heading to the match. 

He'd not do that if the delays and issues were a one-off.

After two nightmare Saturdays months apart, Ma and Pa Constantopolous have vowed never to go near a bus on a Saturday. Despite them having free travel.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 09 Oct 2022

(09 Oct 2022, 9:07 am)Andreos1 Eldest Constantopolous has abandoned the bus completely when heading to the match. 

He'd not do that if the delays and issues were a one-off.

After two nightmare Saturdays months apart, Ma and Pa Constantopolous have vowed never to go near a bus on a Saturday. Despite them having free travel.
Better Than Ever

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 09 Oct 2022

(09 Oct 2022, 9:18 am)Unber43 Better Than Ever

Imaginative as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MurdnunoC - 09 Oct 2022

(09 Oct 2022, 10:12 am)Dan Imaginative as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inspirational comment.