North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 09 Oct 2022

According to Bus Times 

There was only an X30/X31

12:16 Newcastle (arrived 1 hour late)
12:44 Newcastle (arrived 40 mins late)
15:15 Newcastle (left 35 mins late, arrived 40 mins late)
16:44 Newcastle
17:16 Newcastle

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 10 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 7:01 pm)Thomas12 What do you expect? Buses can’t fly over traffic. 

there’s a rail strike and match day traffic, can’t expect buses to run on time in all honesty.

No, but they can timetable an achievable service that meets demand around it.

Rail strike is just another lazy excuse for a poor service. We'll be back here next week and looking for something else to blame. Maybe they'll suggest less people need to use buses to stop them being full?

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 10 Oct 2022

(10 Oct 2022, 11:43 am)Adrian No, but they can timetable an achievable service that meets demand around it.

Rail strike is just another lazy excuse for a poor service. We'll be back here next week and looking for something else to blame. Maybe they'll suggest less people need to use buses to stop them being full?

An achievable service in this case requires a lot of extra resource. I’d assume it’s difficult to plan for what level of additional layover and/or running time is required to offset additional demand, as it’s slightly unknown (although these rail strikes are becoming more common).

All this at a time when operators are struggling for staff. So the achievable timetable may actually mean the service becomes even less achievable to cover. Is that better or worse for the customer?

If commercial teams were able to plan a new set of schedules for rail strike days, and there wasn’t any staffing issues, I wonder how well it would go down with staff that their rota has to change to accommodate a timetable change for one day? I suspect if you asked most bus drivers, the thing that they would find most challenging about the job at the moment is the pace of change and inability to plan their life outside of work. Imagine this would therefore go down like a lead balloon with driving staff and could potentially result in even more drivers leaving the business.

Firm believer in doing what’s right by the customer - but there’s more at play than lazy commercial teams not getting their fingers out. You can repeat all of the above for match days, Fridays, short-term roadworks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 10 Oct 2022

It appears a month after its closure - High Street West has finally reopened to traffic.

You'd have thought the anti-car bus lane loving bunch of meglomaniacs at Gateshead would have been out there with the pruners straight away

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 10 Oct 2022

(10 Oct 2022, 11:56 am)Dan An achievable service in this case requires a lot of extra resource. I’d assume it’s difficult to plan for what level of additional layover and/or running time is required to offset additional demand, as it’s slightly unknown (although these rail strikes are becoming more common).

All this at a time when operators are struggling for staff. So the achievable timetable may actually mean the service becomes even less achievable to cover. Is that better or worse for the customer?

If commercial teams were able to plan a new set of schedules for rail strike days, and there wasn’t any staffing issues, I wonder how well it would go down with staff that their rota has to change to accommodate a timetable change for one day? I suspect if you asked most bus drivers, the thing that they would find most challenging about the job at the moment is the pace of change and inability to plan their life outside of work. Imagine this would therefore go down like a lead balloon with driving staff and could potentially result in even more drivers leaving the business.

Firm believer in doing what’s right by the customer - but there’s more at play than lazy commercial teams not getting their fingers out. You can repeat all of the above for match days, Fridays, short-term roadworks, etc.

My comment on achievable service was around traffic levels, not 'force majeure' events (such as rail strikes), as the legal boffins like to call them. As I say, in my opinion it's a lazy excuse, similar to last week's "traffic congestion/protest march/football traffic at All areas" tweet.

Although I take your point on staffing issues, at this stage, I'm not entirely sure what the difference to customers is of a less-frequent timetable that doesn't deliver vs a more-frequent timetable that doesn't deliver? The results seem to be the same, i.e. customers are stood around for ages, waiting for a bus that is unlikely to turn up or sails past full. Of course, less buses on the road and less drivers required is also a cost saving to an operator.

Not suggesting there'd be new schedules for rail strike days, but let's look at football specifically. We know Saturdays are busy and we know when there's matches on by the fixtures list published in July/August. Yet there's nothing put in place to deal with the bottlenecking on busy corridors on a normal Saturday with Football. It was always extremely busy with Saturday football, even 20 years ago, where we had a lot more options in terms of buses. We've got just as many people with a lot less options now, so when an X1 or couple of 21s inevitably go missing, it creates a problem for the rest of the day.

I'd be surprised if anyone doesn't want to do right by the customer, and I disagree with the comment on here that often suggest otherwise, but at some point we need to stop trying to force square pegs into round holes. There's events throughout the calendar year, football being a prime example, where we need a better solution.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 10 Oct 2022

(10 Oct 2022, 2:18 pm)Ambassador It appears a month after its closure - High Street West has finally reopened to traffic.

You'd have thought the anti-car bus lane loving bunch of meglomaniacs at Gateshead would have been out there with the pruners straight away

A month is pretty much the average journey time to get from the Civic Centre to B&Q to buy the pruners because of all these bus lanes.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 10 Oct 2022

(10 Oct 2022, 2:35 pm)Adrian Not suggesting there'd be new schedules for rail strike days, but let's look at football specifically. We know Saturdays are busy and we know when there's matches on by the fixtures list published in July/August. Yet there's nothing put in place to deal with the bottlenecking on busy corridors on a normal Saturday with Football. It was always extremely busy with Saturday football, even 20 years ago, where we had a lot more options in terms of buses. We've got just as many people with a lot less options now, so when an X1 or couple of 21s inevitably go missing, it creates a problem for the rest of the day.

I'd be surprised if anyone doesn't want to do right by the customer, and I disagree with the comment on here that often suggest otherwise, but at some point we need to stop trying to force square pegs into round holes. There's events throughout the calendar year, football being a prime example, where we need a better solution.
When 21's go missing or X1 and 3 pull out Not In Service, there is just one/two around the corner most the time, 3 X1's pulled into Eldon Square they left 30 late/15 late /On time. 

Its when services interwork, same when Sunderland are playing, 24/9 get late it affects the 5 & 26. Really the 9&5 should interwork and 24 & 26, even worse when they're playing on a sunday as 35A/61A/60/9/24/26/5/5A all interwork with each other. Prime Example X30/X31 were absolutely hammered on Saturday there wasn't one for 3 hours or something ridiculous like that, and when they did run they entered Newcastle 40 mins late, causing the coming X45 not run. 

GNE are in a tough position however they need to people to get the bus advertise a connection with the X50 on services, as the traffic into Newcastle is atrocious and the CAZ thing isn't going to do anything as you can be in any car and not being charged meanwhile bus companies are spending thousands upgrading their vehicles. There should be a football timetable however the issue with this is that drivers are limited to 5 hours so if you were going to have e.g X45, it took it 2 hours to get into Newcastle, it should be in Sunniside on the return, so do you plan for a 40-60 mins break in Stanley. You can't be having breaks in Newcastle they just don't have the facilities however looking at the X45 you can't have a massive break in COnsett as it extends to Hownsgill. Similar to the X1, it can't have a massive break at Washington, neither can the 21 at Chester-Le-Street or Brandon.

The worst example is probably the 56 which gets hammered when Sunderland & Newcastle are at home and trains /metro are cancelled however that can have 40 mins. But they don't have the PVR of vehicles to offer this E400 pretty sure there are just 2 or 3 spares out of 14, we've seen Country Rangers etc. If you look at the 56 its hard to offer always a full single decker as we saw 2 X20's and a Graphite on it today.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 10 Oct 2022

(10 Oct 2022, 2:52 pm)omnicity4659 A month is pretty much the average journey time to get from the Civic Centre to B&Q to buy the pruners because of all these bus lanes.

That's only because the bus to get there was cancelled and they needed to make a change at some obscure part of Dunston.

They gave up on the way back and walked back to the Civic.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 10 Oct 2022

(10 Oct 2022, 2:35 pm)Adrian My comment on achievable service was around traffic levels, not 'force majeure' events (such as rail strikes), as the legal boffins like to call them. As I say, in my opinion it's a lazy excuse, similar to last week's "traffic congestion/protest march/football traffic at All areas" tweet.

Although I take your point on staffing issues, at this stage, I'm not entirely sure what the difference to customers is of a less-frequent timetable that doesn't deliver vs a more-frequent timetable that doesn't deliver? The results seem to be the same, i.e. customers are stood around for ages, waiting for a bus that is unlikely to turn up or sails past full. Of course, less buses on the road and less drivers required is also a cost saving to an operator.

Not suggesting there'd be new schedules for rail strike days, but let's look at football specifically. We know Saturdays are busy and we know when there's matches on by the fixtures list published in July/August. Yet there's nothing put in place to deal with the bottlenecking on busy corridors on a normal Saturday with Football. It was always extremely busy with Saturday football, even 20 years ago, where we had a lot more options in terms of buses. We've got just as many people with a lot less options now, so when an X1 or couple of 21s inevitably go missing, it creates a problem for the rest of the day.

Wait till Christmas sneaks up on them!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 10 Oct 2022

(10 Oct 2022, 2:18 pm)Ambassador It appears a month after its closure - High Street West has finally reopened to traffic.

Tbf it's one of the biggest bushes I've every seen

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 10 Oct 2022

(10 Oct 2022, 8:38 pm)Rob44 Tbf it's one of the biggest bushes I've every seen
There's a crude joke in there, somewhere.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 10 Oct 2022

(10 Oct 2022, 9:56 pm)BusLoverMum There's a crude joke in there, somewhere.

Not in front of a lady, BLM!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 11 Oct 2022

Didn't know they were changing the route!

Due to the delayed operation of the service X21 the 16:18 service from West Auckland to Howden Station will not operate
https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1579850657204383744

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 11 Oct 2022

These will be a 21 missing at some point today due to it taking out the bus stop in low fell at about 6 pm I think

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - wibblejunior - 11 Oct 2022

The 22 must have ended up taking a massive diversion today.  Tongue

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 11 Oct 2022

Oopps

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 13 Oct 2022

Noticed Arriva have started putting up notices to show which services won’t be running at Haymarket. Was quite a lengthy list for some services, particularly the 52/54.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 19 Oct 2022

I regret to announce the demise of the anti GNE tree was just a rogue driver not fussed by a small branch.

The tree is still threatening the innocent drivers of GNE and forcing passengers to take a sightseeing detour of Gateshead High St (twinned with Beirut)

Reliability and cancellations - GNE6312 - 19 Oct 2022

I've noticed recently that arriva have been cancelling a number of 308 duties, for example on Monday due to delays & a missing bus there was a gap of 45 minutes at peak time. Another example was a gap over over an hour in some areas at peak time today due to a cancellation and severely delayed bus. The worst part is arriva don't even bother publishing these cancellations or as of the cancelled 308 service at 14.55 off Blyth today there was a supervisor who didn't bother notifying the passengers (most of whom were pensioners) and instead decided to buy a chocolate bar from the kiosk at the bus station and go into the office rather than notifying the passengers or even knowing it was a peak run even covered that 308. During driver shortages ALL staff who have a licence (including managers and supervisors) should be helping cover shifts. Another problem with cancellations is the AM Jesmond X30 frequently being cancelled including not running at all this week. Bus companies should be held responsible for cancellations and delays the same way train companies are and be fined for cancellations.

RE: Reliability and cancellations - mb134 - 19 Oct 2022

(19 Oct 2022, 6:02 pm)GNE6312 The worst part is arriva don't even bother publishing these cancellations or as of the cancelled 308 service at 14.55 off Blyth today there was a supervisor who didn't bother notifying the passengers (most of whom were pensioners) and instead decided to buy a chocolate bar from the kiosk at the bus station and go into the office rather than notifying the passengers or even knowing it was a peak run even covered that 308. During driver shortages ALL staff who have a licence (including managers and supervisors) should be helping cover shifts. 

Nice to see you immediately blame one of the members of staff who is actually at work. He may have been on a break, where he won't have wanted more abuse from passengers, especially pensioners who are incredibly entitled and very viscious with public-facing employees when anything goes wrong. 

How do you know he wasn't helping to cover shifts? You do realise that someone will have to organise duty allocations etc? How do you know he hadn't finished a driving shift at midnight last night and came in on minimum rest on his day off to cover another supervisor who was out on the road?

In terms of notifying customers - I believe that supervisors (who you'd have driving buses) at Haymarket are posting notices on stands where journeys may be dropped. Any cancelled trips will also be shown as such on the app. Obviously GNE post theirs on a dedicated page, but I believe it's been stated a few times that barely anyone checks it and it isn't massively accurate anyway - you're always going to get odd bits covered on the day with willing drivers, but equally there will always be on the day sickness which will potentially cause more cancellations.