North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Storx - 19 Oct 2022

It wasn't cancellations because of driver shortages, there were buses upto 45 minutes late running along the Coast Road today ie this board - https://bustimes.org/services/308-newcastle-to-blyth/vehicles?date=2022-10-19#journeys/324751173.

Not sure what's causing the severe delays.

RE: Reliability and cancellations - lxbical - 19 Oct 2022

(19 Oct 2022, 6:02 pm)GNE6312 I've noticed recently that arriva have been cancelling a number of 308 duties, for example on Monday due to delays & a missing bus there was a gap of 45 minutes at peak time. Another example was a gap over over an hour in some areas at peak time today due to a cancellation and severely delayed bus. The worst part is arriva don't even bother publishing these cancellations or as of the cancelled 308 service at 14.55 off Blyth today there was a supervisor who didn't bother notifying the passengers (most of whom were pensioners) and instead decided to buy a chocolate bar from the kiosk at the bus station and go into the office rather than notifying the passengers or even knowing it was a peak run even covered that 308. During driver shortages ALL staff who have a licence (including managers and supervisors) should be helping cover shifts. Another problem with cancellations is the AM Jesmond X30 frequently being cancelled including not running at all this week. Bus companies should be held responsible for cancellations and delays the same way train companies are and be fined for cancellations.

It isn't their fault if they can't find a driver. Managers and supervisors have their own jobs and it won't help if there's a shortage of them because they are driving buses instead of doing their usual work, it probably would work if you selected a small group instead of making all staff who have a license cover shifts (although this could be wrong depending on the percentage of staff who actually have a license in management and the amount of cancellations etc). Giving arriva fines for cancellations won't help though since they would run it if they could, but they can't and there's not much they can do about that

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Adrian - 19 Oct 2022

(19 Oct 2022, 6:02 pm)GNE6312 I've noticed recently that arriva have been cancelling a number of 308 duties, for example on Monday due to delays & a missing bus there was a gap of 45 minutes at peak time. Another example was a gap over over an hour in some areas at peak time today due to a cancellation and severely delayed bus. The worst part is arriva don't even bother publishing these cancellations or as of the cancelled 308 service at 14.55 off Blyth today there was a supervisor who didn't bother notifying the passengers (most of whom were pensioners) and instead decided to buy a chocolate bar from the kiosk at the bus station and go into the office rather than notifying the passengers or even knowing it was a peak run even covered that 308. During driver shortages ALL staff who have a licence (including managers and supervisors) should be helping cover shifts. Another problem with cancellations is the AM Jesmond X30 frequently being cancelled including not running at all this week. Bus companies should be held responsible for cancellations and delays the same way train companies are and be fined for cancellations.

Even though I've been heavily impacted by disruption myself, I completely disagree with any suggestion that managers should be covering driving shifts on a daily basis. There's already a problem with drivers not wanting to come and work for operators, so why would managers want to come and work for them, if they're expected to spend their working week driving a bus around?

Would you clean the bogs if the cleaner was on holiday for a fortnight?

Reliability and cancellations - Dan - 19 Oct 2022

(19 Oct 2022, 7:54 pm)Adrian Even though I've been heavily impacted by disruption myself, I completely disagree with any suggestion that managers should be covering driving shifts on a daily basis. There's already a problem with drivers not wanting to come and work for operators, so why would managers want to come and work for them, if they're expected to spend their working week driving a bus around?

Would you clean the bogs if the cleaner was on holiday for a fortnight?

I agree.

In one very simple scenario, the manager of the depot could cover one driving shift him/herself, or they could hold return to work interviews with three drivers and get them all back on the road driving again from tomorrow. One shift covered today by not doing their job, or three shifts covered tomorrow by doing what they’re employed to do?

That said I do think managers ought to lead by example - and it is seen on the ground as a very good thing for managers to be out there ‘on the shop floor’ and it tends to command a fair bit of respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Jimmi - 19 Oct 2022

(19 Oct 2022, 8:17 pm)Dan I agree.

In one very simple scenario, the manager of the depot could cover one driving shift him/herself, or they could hold return to work interviews with three drivers and get them all back on the road driving again from tomorrow. One shift covered today by not doing their job, or three shifts covered tomorrow by doing what they’re employed to do?

That said I do think managers ought to lead by example - and it is seen on the ground as a very good thing for managers to be out there ‘on the shop floor’ and it tends to command a fair bit of respect.

There was an opinion piece on this very matter on Route One's website yesterday: https://www.route-one.net/opinion/managers-dont-understate-front-line-time-importance/

RE: Reliability and cancellations - mb134 - 19 Oct 2022

(19 Oct 2022, 6:46 pm)Storx It wasn't cancellations because of driver shortages, there were buses upto 45 minutes late running along the Coast Road today ie this board - https://bustimes.org/services/308-newcastle-to-blyth/vehicles?date=2022-10-19#journeys/324751173.

Not sure what's causing the severe delays.

Assume some of the delays could be attributed to new drivers still getting to grips. Obviously at Blyth there is no minibus rota to go onto initially, so all new starts will be on the "big buses" from day one. The 308, contrary to the beliefs of some, still carries decent loads and will require a good amount of ticket machine interaction, which tends to be one of the biggest areas of time lost for most drivers let alone new starters who have limited knowledge of specific stop names etc. 

New drivers, especially those still with a mentor, will also be less likely to put their foot down to try and regain time as they're still growing their confidence in driving a bus in service - and to be honest, with something like the 308, once you've lost 5-10 minutes you've got no chance anyway as you'll be getting clattered with more than just your passengers.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 20 Oct 2022

(19 Oct 2022, 5:18 pm)Ambassador I regret to announce the demise of the anti GNE tree was just a rogue driver not fussed by a small branch.

The tree is still threatening the innocent drivers of GNE and forcing passengers to take a sightseeing detour of Gateshead High St (twinned with Beirut)

this made me chuckle!

But on a related note is seems GNA have realised there are other , quicker and shorter routes into Gateshead metro with running the gauntlet in "beirut".  The 29 went straight on the to roundabout then turned right and a left into the station....... a route it could have been taking for the last few week.  Plus this stops the abuse the drivers get for not stopping outside the metropole public house which i had seen on several occasions.

RE: Reliability and cancellations - solsburian - 20 Oct 2022

(19 Oct 2022, 8:42 pm)mb134 Assume some of the delays could be attributed to new drivers still getting to grips. Obviously at Blyth there is no minibus rota to go onto initially, so all new starts will be on the "big buses" from day one. The 308, contrary to the beliefs of some, still carries decent loads and will require a good amount of ticket machine interaction, which tends to be one of the biggest areas of time lost for most drivers let alone new starters who have limited knowledge of specific stop names etc. 

New drivers, especially those still with a mentor, will also be less likely to put their foot down to try and regain time as they're still growing their confidence in driving a bus in service - and to be honest, with something like the 308, once you've lost 5-10 minutes you've got no chance anyway as you'll be getting clattered with more than just your passengers.
TBH the Ticketer machines look like a usability nightmare and coupled with their seemingly sluggish performance it is little wonder they might contribute to timekeeping issues.

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Unber43 - 20 Oct 2022

(20 Oct 2022, 6:20 pm)solsburian TBH the Ticketer machines look like a usability nightmare and coupled with their seemingly sluggish performance it is little wonder they might contribute to timekeeping issues.
It can take 3-5 mins to change drivers as they need to mess on with the ticket machine

RE: Reliability and cancellations - V514DFT - 20 Oct 2022

(20 Oct 2022, 6:43 pm)Unber43 It can take 3-5 mins to change drivers as they need to mess on with the ticket machine
And sometimes the destination display if the previous driver has forgotten to change it

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Unber43 - 20 Oct 2022

(20 Oct 2022, 8:39 pm)V514DFT And sometimes the destination display if the previous driver has forgotten to change it
Drivers just tend to forget a lot to change it/put the wrong one in.

RE: Reliability and cancellations - mb134 - 20 Oct 2022

(20 Oct 2022, 6:43 pm)Unber43 It can take 3-5 mins to change drivers as they need to mess on with the ticket machine

(20 Oct 2022, 8:39 pm)V514DFT And sometimes the destination display if the previous driver has forgotten to change it

To be honest, neither of these things should take too long in theory. Signing in on a Ticketer machine is 30 seconds at most, it's just a couple of pin codes to get in (which drivers pretty much have memorised). The thing that can take time with it is if the bus has been fully switched off and the machine needs to fully start up again - but that shouldn't really happen on most driver changeovers. 

Equally, with changing the destination display, if it's staying on the same service it's generally just a case of flicking through the actual destinations (usually there aren't too many, and again drivers tend to memorise which way they need to scroll). If it's changing service, it's a bit more of a faff but again only really 30 seconds max unless the driver keys in the wrong number.

(20 Oct 2022, 6:20 pm)solsburian TBH the Ticketer machines look like a usability nightmare and coupled with their seemingly sluggish performance it is little wonder they might contribute to timekeeping issues.

As far as I know the thing drivers dislike the most is how clunky contactless can be and how long it takes to kick in. 

My point in the initial post was more to do with drivers getting to grips with where everything is. Stops which may be officially named "High Street" could be locally known by 3 or 4 different things (pub names, churches, old buildings/shops etc.), which could also be actual places in that town or one nearby which are named as such on Ticketer. It then needs a bit of clarification with new drivers, where more experienced ones will have a fair idea already.

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Storx - 20 Oct 2022

(19 Oct 2022, 8:42 pm)mb134 Assume some of the delays could be attributed to new drivers still getting to grips. Obviously at Blyth there is no minibus rota to go onto initially, so all new starts will be on the "big buses" from day one. The 308, contrary to the beliefs of some, still carries decent loads and will require a good amount of ticket machine interaction, which tends to be one of the biggest areas of time lost for most drivers let alone new starters who have limited knowledge of specific stop names etc. 

Aye possibly like, not sure how accurate Google Maps is but there's supposedly some roadworks outside Cradlewell and all the delays seem to be stemming from around there. Just looking at the tracking it seems to be loosing 10 minutes roughly each way and like you said when one goes late everything goes tits up with them collecting multiple passengers. Also not sure whether there's been any cancellations on the 306 which could impact things aswell.

As said on the other thread the 327 seems to be avoiding it aswell, not sure if there is anything there though or it's just exceptional traffic.

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Rob44 - 21 Oct 2022

I ve used the 20 from sunderland to shields and the last twice they have changed drivers and obviuosly turn the bus off to do this. When the drivers gone to start it it just wouldn't move. on the first occastion another driver cam over and said it had to do a complete shut down which worked bt seemed to take an age! Second time was the same but driver know what to do. the bus left late on bother occasions

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Andreos1 - 21 Oct 2022

(21 Oct 2022, 10:47 am)Rob44 I ve used the 20 from sunderland to shields and the last  twice they have changed drivers and obviuosly turn the bus off to do this. When the drivers gone to start it it just wouldn't move. on the first occastion another driver cam over and said it had to do a complete shut down which worked bt seemed to take an age!  Second time was the same but driver know what to do. the bus left late on bother occasions

When I was on the 20/20a and I was needing to get to the railway station, quite often it was quicker getting off and walking, than it was sitting on the bus when they faffed on.

Pretty sure they built in additional buffer time in the timetable, like Crosscountry do at Birmingham and Derby, to assist with late running.

Either way, it didn't help with cross-city traffic.

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Rob44 - 21 Oct 2022

(21 Oct 2022, 11:43 am)Andreos1 When I was on the 20/20a and I was needing to get to the railway station, quite often it was quicker getting off and walking, than it was sitting on the bus when they faffed on.

Pretty sure they built in additional buffer time in the timetable, like Crosscountry do at Birmingham and Derby, to assist with late running.

Yep. that used to happen to me on the 44. Used to park up opposite the crows nest and sit for what seemed like ages before pulling into the haymarket. Then the time i got off thinking that would happen they pulled away and headed to the bus station straight away. Couldn't win!

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Unber43 - 21 Oct 2022

(21 Oct 2022, 11:43 am)Andreos1 When I was on the 20/20a and I was needing to get to the railway station, quite often it was quicker getting off and walking, than it was sitting on the bus when they faffed on.

Changeovers should only take place at the end of routes!

RE: Reliability and cancellations - L469 YVK - 21 Oct 2022

Not just Arriva, but Coast Road capacity needs sorted for mid week evening NUFC kick offs! Considering that 7x per hour used to run before COVID and now only 4x per hour....even more so with stable crowds since changs at the club. Some queues for buses now still exist after 11pm. The worst used to be over after 10.30pm

Even if GNE & Arriva collaborated and outsourced some special extra journeys to Stanley & JH, that would make a difference.

RE: Reliability and cancellations - BusLoverMum - 21 Oct 2022

(21 Oct 2022, 7:19 pm)Unber43 Changeovers should only take place at the end of routes!
Well that's hardly possible if as is often the case, the depot is in the middle of the route, like Deptford used to be for the 20, Chester for the X21, like Washington is for the 50.

(21 Oct 2022, 8:58 pm)L469 YVK Not just Arriva, but Coast Road capacity needs sorted for mid week evening NUFC kick offs! Considering that 7x per hour used to run before COVID and now only 4x per hour....even more so with stable crowds since changs at the club. Some queues for buses now still exist after 11pm. The worst used to be over after 10.30pm

Even if GNE & Arriva collaborated and outsourced some special extra journeys to Stanley & JH, that would make a difference.
Dob

RE: Reliability and cancellations - Unber43 - 21 Oct 2022

(21 Oct 2022, 8:58 pm)L469 YVK Not just Arriva, but Coast Road capacity needs sorted for mid week evening NUFC kick offs! Considering that 7x per hour used to run before COVID and now only 4x per hour....even more so with stable crowds since changs at the club. Some queues for buses now still exist after 11pm. The worst used to be over after 10.30pm

I think the Consett - Newcastle area needs more capacity first!