North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - 54APhotography - 23 Oct 2022

(23 Oct 2022, 10:09 am)Unber43 As JH Definitely did not do this

Surely they should be banned from operating the 901/900 for a while as they clearly don't have the fleet for it. With at least 4 E200 on yesterday.
Single deckers on 901s happened earlier this year during a multi operator operation, and going back to when Arriva operated some, Pulsars were common.

Perhaps this contract was awarded pre rationalisation?

Or maintenance forced the substitutes single deckers?

LR52KWU/SU53UNV/LK04NMZ/JH09COM/JH59COM all out of service

RE: Reliability and cancellations - omnicity4659 - 23 Oct 2022

(23 Oct 2022, 12:25 am)mb134 All journeys will be showing as cancelled, as the Bustimes outage is an issue with Ticketer being unable to communicate information which the app (and Bustimes) relies on. I believe that if the app hasn't received the data it needs by a certain time, it is programmed to automatically log that particular journey as cancelled. 

Realistically Arriva needed to put out a social media post/update on the app to say that journeys will be incorrectly logged as cancelled while the Ticketer disruption is ongoing.

I checked other stops and other journeys, including on the 2, were showing as operating.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 23 Oct 2022

(23 Oct 2022, 10:25 am)54APhotography Single deckers on 901s happened earlier this year during a multi operator operation, and going back to when Arriva operated some, Pulsars were common.

The double-deck vehicle spec for planned Metro Replacement is certainly not new, and has been commonplace now for many years.

Nexus agreed to the use of single-decks earlier this year when they put it out to all operators.

The same could/should have happened again, if JH were unable to provide the vehicles contracted for the service.

Of course the issue here is that JH don’t have as many double-decks as they used to following their loss of school contracts, and they had five double-decks on the SAFC Park & Ride contract yesterday, meaning they probably over-committed based on their current fleet size.

They may have asked Nexus for dispensation - but I’d be surprised if they were agreeable to this when it was a match day…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 23 Oct 2022

(23 Oct 2022, 10:25 am)54APhotography Single deckers on 901s happened earlier this year during a multi operator operation, and going back to when Arriva operated some,  Pulsars were common.

If you're contractually obliged to deliver something, then surely you'd make sure you have a spare capacity to ensure you can deliver service? 

To me it stinks of the 'any bus will do' mentality that exists in the industry, instead of and as Dan suggests in his post, allowing other operators not on the framework agreement to bid instead.

Having E200s on a Saturday Metro Replacement, with a football match on, is a waste of time. The one I saw won't have picked a single passenger up after Heworth to the Stadium of Light, as it was full of football fans.

(23 Oct 2022, 11:15 am)Dan The double-deck vehicle spec for planned Metro Replacement is certainly not new, and has been commonplace now for many years.

Nexus agreed to the use of single-decks earlier this year when they put it out to all operators.

The same could/should have happened again, if JH were unable to provide the vehicles contracted for the service.

Of course the issue here is that JH don’t have as many double-decks as they used to following their loss of school contracts, and they had five double-decks on the SAFC Park & Ride contract yesterday, meaning they probably over-committed based on their current fleet size.

They may have asked Nexus for dispensation - but I’d be surprised if they were agreeable to this when it was a match day…

Considering JH commitment to match day, surely a degree of responsibility is shouldered by Nexus. Should they not assess a bid based upon careful appraisal of fleet and commitments? 

Noticed their E200 LK09ENY again on 901s this evening.

(23 Oct 2022, 6:07 pm)54APhotography Considering JH commitment to match day, surely a degree of responsibility is shouldered by Nexus. Should they not assess a bid based upon careful appraisal of fleet and commitments? 

Noticed their E200 LK09ENY again on 901s this evening.

No, by signing a contract to operate a service for Nexus, you accept the terms and conditions which includes running with vehicles of the correct specification.

It’s not down to Nexus to tell operators that they cannot deliver a contract that the operator has told Nexus they can.

(23 Oct 2022, 6:18 pm)Dan No, by signing a contract to operate a service for Nexus, you accept the terms and conditions which includes running with vehicles of the correct specification.

It’s not down to Nexus to tell operators that they cannot deliver a contract that the operator has told Nexus they can.

Then indeed JH are solely responsible.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - busmanT - 23 Oct 2022

(23 Oct 2022, 6:18 pm)Dan No, by signing a contract to operate a service for Nexus, you accept the terms and conditions which includes running with vehicles of the correct specification.

Perhaps JH Coaches got dispensation from Nexus to use (some) single decks? -

(23 Oct 2022, 6:37 pm)busmanT Perhaps JH Coaches got dispensation from Nexus to use (some) single decks? -

I mentioned that as a possibility yesterday but I would be very surprised if Nexus were agreeable to this on a match day.

Other operators not on the framework might have been able to provide buses that did meet the contract specification, if JH were unable to do so.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 23 Oct 2022

(23 Oct 2022, 6:37 pm)busmanT Perhaps JH Coaches got dispensation from Nexus to use (some) single decks? -

Nothing short of insanity if they've done that, given it was a Saturday and a football match on.

When I was at Heworth, Metro staff were recommending that people get a taxi if they can!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 23 Oct 2022

JH should have asked Stanley Travel or L&G Coaches to help out and maybe even A-lIne they don't have any deckers (i don't think) but it would have helped to ease the chaos.

RE: Reliability and cancellations - mb134 - 23 Oct 2022

(23 Oct 2022, 10:58 am)omnicity4659 I checked other stops and other journeys, including on the 2, were showing as operating.

Not sure then - the trips I've looked for this weekend have largely (bar the one or two Jesmond vehicles which have been tracking) have all been listed as cancelled, even buses that have definitely operated. 

As far as I know that last 2 did operate last night though.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 24 Oct 2022

With it being a matchday there should have been an X901 running from Heworth to Stadium of Light/St Peters. Buses have less capacity than a Metrocar, and people with season tickets are unlikely to defer travel. It doesn't make sense having one bus weaving in and out of South Tyneside's estates doing nobody any favours.

It's not like the Stadium of Light or football games are a new thing that shouldn't be planned for, either.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 24 Oct 2022

(23 Oct 2022, 7:17 pm)Adrian Nothing short of insanity if they've done that, given it was a Saturday and a football match on.

When I was at Heworth, Metro staff were recommending that people get a taxi if they can!

Depending on the many possible situations or scenarios that led to events on Saturday, surely an E200 is better than no bus at all? Particularly in the climate we see, where many bigger operators are struggling for resource and are foisting cancellations on us.

It sounds far from ideal and hopefully Nexus are reviewing events, learning from them and ensuring they don't happen again.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 25 Oct 2022

One thing I will say is that I was out yesterday and I saw at least 10 if not more Depot Mentors, so that will affect cancellations as well.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 29 Oct 2022

Today has possibly been the worst Saturday I can recall in aaages for Durham Road.

Buses terminating on Jackson St, the interchange is rammed and buses running not in service with minimal passengers on board.

Oh and the bloody bush is still there at Gateshead.

I did try to tweet GNE but their customer service as ever is abysmal and they have zero interest in engaging with their public.

Still waiting for a follow up for an email I sent 2 months ago.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 12:12 pm)Ambassador Today has possibly been the worst Saturday I can recall in aaages for Durham Road.

Buses terminating on Jackson St, the interchange is rammed and buses running not in service with minimal passengers on board.

I did try to tweet GNE but their customer service as ever is abysmal and they have zero interest in engaging with their public.

I always look forward to your fortnightly Durham Road woes!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 29 Oct 2022

I tel you one thing, the Q3 is a disgrace. 

Four buses missing in a row from Wallsend. 

I consoling about Gateshead Central Taxis but they would be better at operating the service than Go North East.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 12:12 pm)Ambassador Today has possibly been the worst Saturday I can recall in aaages for Durham Road.

Engagement with customers on social media seems to have gone from poor/abysmal to literally non-existent.

Not sure what the logic is there. But I can't see it doing them any favours.
Saying that, I'm sure am industry back patting award will still somehow come their way.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 4:45 pm)Andreos1 Engagement with customers on social media seems to have gone from poor/abysmal to literally non-existent.

Not sure what the logic is there. But I can't see it doing them any favours.
Saying that, I'm sure am industry back patting award will still somehow come their way.

I always just use the live chat and I've never had an issue with it.