North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 12:30 pm)Dan I always look forward to your fortnightly Durham Road woes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It reassures me that as management Dan that you and the rest of the management team have done and continue to do absolutely nothing about it 

Even your drivers were openly slagging off management today and apologising to customers

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 5:21 pm)Ambassador It reassures me that as management Dan that you and the rest of the management team have done and continue to do absolutely nothing about it 

Even your drivers were openly slagging off management today and apologising to customers
They do that all the time at Eldon Square especially on Saturdays when buses go out NIS, and with allocations sometimes, it was the same when the 12 changes route in Winlaton the drivers were as confused as the passengers on why they changed it.

The driver of the 21 from Durham which I waited 25 minutes today literally said

Hi I’m really sorry we’re 15 minutes late and I’ve been told I have to stop at gateshead and turn around. I’m sorry you have to get off, I know you waited a long time for me. I’ll wait and make sure you get on the next bus. It’s not my choice and it’s a joke.

And he did. He ignored the radio and got all the buggies and elderly on the following X72. I’d send a compliment but I worry he’d be criticised for ignoring the service delivery team

And it’s not the first time, I doubt Dan and co are remotely in touch with the realities.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 6:11 pm)Ambassador The driver of the 21 from Durham which I waited 25 minutes today literally said

Hi I’m really sorry we’re 15 minutes late and I’ve been told I have to stop at gateshead and turn around. I’m sorry you have to get off, I know you waited a long time for me. I’ll wait and make sure you get on the next bus. It’s not my choice and it’s a joke.

And he did. He ignored the radio and got all the buggies and elderly on the following X72. I’d send a compliment but I worry he’d be criticised for ignoring the service delivery team

And it’s not the first time, I doubt Dan and co are remotely in touch with the realities.

Ironically, I used the 21 today 1hr pre-match.

Didn’t have half as much bother as you seemed to have. None seemed to be parked up in Gateshead at the time (or if they were, they were buses of the wrong brand - which of course is possible!)

The bus was 10 minutes late - but it was OK because I knew there was a match on and allowed for a small delay. I still met my connection (with a few mins to spare).

I noticed one bus had broken down in Birtley outside of Morrisons.

Otherwise all buses in the opposite direction seemed evenly spaced - I didn’t check to see if they were all running late or were all roughly on time, but gaps certainly seemed even and all were well loaded but not all full and standing.

Not sure when you travelled pre-match, but it must have been much earlier than an hour before kick off, as we seem to have had completely different experiences today.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 4:45 pm)Andreos1 Engagement with customers on social media seems to have gone from poor/abysmal to literally non-existent.

Not sure what the logic is there. But I can't see it doing them any favours.
Saying that, I'm sure am industry back patting award will still somehow come their way.

It has, but then again I'm not sure how you can positively engage with customers, when the majority of your business decisions are going to be perceived as negative? There's only so many times you can respond to people telling you that you're shit or whatever.

I'd suggest it'd be a good investment to get someone to actually work with the team to improve the social media side of things. If there was some balance to what they're posting, then you'd hope that most of the response wouldn't be so negative.

(29 Oct 2022, 4:50 pm)streetdeckfan I always just use the live chat and I've never had an issue with it.

Yeah, I've used this a couple times now and it works a treat. Even if I email, I generally get a response back in a week or so.

(29 Oct 2022, 6:16 pm)Dan Ironically, I used the 21 today 1hr pre-match.

Didn’t have half as much bother as you seemed to have. None seemed to be parked up in Gateshead at the time (or if they were, they were buses of the wrong brand - which of course is possible!)

The bus was 10 minutes late - but it was OK because I knew there was a match on and allowed for a small delay. I still met my connection (with a few mins to spare).

I noticed one bus had broken down in Birtley outside of Morrisons.

Otherwise all buses in the opposite direction seemed evenly spaced - I didn’t check to see if they were all running late or were all roughly on time, but gaps certainly seemed even and all were well loaded but not all full and standing.

Not sure when you travelled pre-match, but it must have been much earlier than an hour before kick off, as we seem to have had completely different experiences today.

dan…If you’re using a bus 1hr before kick off you aren’t seeing the problem. Nobody would dream of that risk.  The majority do not leave an hour before kick off. The issues are 12-1.30 which are peak travel time. 

If you think 2pm is a good measure. Says all you need to know about the incompetence of the commercial team and how out of touch you are

(29 Oct 2022, 6:11 pm)Ambassador The driver of the 21 from Durham which I waited 25 minutes today literally said

I've been on the X21 from Durham to Newcastle 4 times since its moved to Riverside, 3 times I've been told to get off and get on the bus behind. 

Also I was on 25 a while ago and we were 20 mins late, and we had to take on a full 21 and the 25 was relatively busy. It seems to be a massively scheduling issue on loads of services not helped by branded buses and a limited PVR of a certain type of vehicle.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 29 Oct 2022

Surely it's time to put a step-back in at Eldon Square on the 21s between 10:00 and 17:00? It would only cost one driver a Saturday if somebody with half a brain schedules it. I'd argue that one extra driver is worth it to save the inevitable loss of passengers the continuous shambles Saturdays are becoming on Durham Road. I've been a victim of it myself recently!

The 21 is the flagship service. Maybe they should treat it that way.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 6:56 pm)Unber43 I've been on the X21 from Durham to Newcastle 4 times since its moved to Riverside, 3 times I've been told to get off and get on the bus behind. 

That's nothing new. Used to happen on the regular just at CLS instead!

(29 Oct 2022, 7:24 pm)DeltaMan Surely it's time to put a step-back in at Eldon Square on the 21s between 10:00 and 17:00? It would only cost one driver a Saturday if somebody with half a brain schedules it. I'd argue that one extra driver is worth it to save the inevitable loss of passengers the continuous shambles Saturdays are becoming on Durham Road. I've been a victim of it myself recently!

The 21 is the flagship service. Maybe they should treat it that way.
Theres no space, with Arriva parking their buses there, Q3's parking there for upto 5 hours, X10's, numerous consett buses. 

Really you need to have a longer layover in Chester-Le-Street, Stanley, Consett, Peterlee, Easington Lane, even non-Newcastle services are struggling to keep up time, especially the 65, 20 & 60 too strugle to keep up time, its made every worse now that the 20 is every 15 mins and there is no X20, aswell as the 60 which has always struggled, as soon as you get 5 mins late you're just picking up the other passengers I remember looking on bus times and there were 7 out and 6 of them were bunched up into 2s.

Martjin mentioned something about something which will help them keep on time and name dropped the X1, 21, 60, X45/46 however if you send any of them dead from Newcastle/Consett/Sunderland the one behind just becomes late too, to get from Stanley to Newcastle the other saturday on X30 or X31 was a 3 hour wait due to buses running 1 hour late.

Also the GNE Social Media team, the people who say X service wont operate due to delays, whenever it involves the 21/16/20/60 go NIS they just don't seem to put it on their socials

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 6:27 pm)Adrian It has, but then again I'm not sure how you can positively engage with customers, when the majority of your business decisions are going to be perceived as negative? There's only so many times you can respond to people telling you that you're shit or whatever.

I'd suggest it'd be a good investment to get someone to actually work with the team to improve the social media side of things. If there was some balance to what they're posting, then you'd hope that most of the response wouldn't be so negative.

Yeah, I've used this a couple times now and it works a treat. Even if I email, I generally get a response back in a week or so.

To be honest, it's probably a legacy of awful policies in the past.
The empty, 'send us an email' type of patter doesn't work, but it became the standard response.
Then the responses to the emails were naff and so the cycle continues.

I agree with you about improving the social media side of things.
It may take a while, it may be the long game, but it can't continue as it as been for the last however many years.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 7:34 pm)Unber43 Theres no space, with Arriva parking their buses there, Q3's parking there for upto 5 hours, X10's, numerous consett buses. 

Really you need to have a longer layover in Chester-Le-Street, Stanley, Consett, Peterlee, Easington Lane, even non-Newcastle services are struggling to keep up time, especially the 65, 20 & 60 too strugle to keep up time, its made every worse now that the 20 is every 15 mins and there is no X20, aswell as the 60 which has always struggled, as soon as you get 5 mins late you're just picking up the other passengers I remember looking on bus times and there were 7 out and 6 of them were bunched up into 2s.

Martjin mentioned something about something which will help them keep on time and name dropped the X1, 21, 60, X45/46 however if you send any of them dead from Newcastle/Consett/Sunderland the one behind just becomes late too, to get from Stanley to Newcastle the other saturday on X30 or X31 was a 3 hour wait due to buses running 1 hour late.

Also the GNE Social Media team, the people who say X service wont operate due to delays, whenever it involves the 21/16/20/60 go NIS they just don't seem to put it on their socials
Space in Eldon Square is a terrible excuse not to do anything. A sensible operator would do a step back.

Send the buses round the block in the unlikely event of arriving on time during Saturday daytimes. What is more likely to happen is they'll arrive 15 mins late and depart Eldon Square on time. At least give the drivers a fighting chance

We’ve had going on a year of this..lets politely call it operational issues and there’s zero sign of it getting better or even a token gesture of them trying, dans post said it before and his promotion speaks volumes of where the business is at.

Find a fleet and a load of absolutely awful agency drivers to cover a metro contract….easy

Serve your actual paying passengers…no interest.

They can’t even get a council to cut back a bush…

Still waiting for the chaos that arriva and Stagecoach will unleash with their cuts…the ed miliband chaos statement of the north east bus world and probably shows the sheer incompetence and arrogant attitude at the top of the massively woeful loss making enterprise that is GNE.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 29 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 9:33 pm)Ambassador We’ve had going on a year of this.. lets politely call it operational issues and there’s zero sign of it getting better or even a token gesture of them trying, dans post said it before and his promotion speaks volumes of where the business is at.

Find a fleet and a load of absolutely awful agency drivers to cover a metro contract….easy

Serve your actual paying passengers…no interest.

They can’t even get a council to cut back a bush…

Still waiting for the chaos that arriva and Stagecoach will unleash with their cuts…the ed miliband chaos statement of the north east bus world and probably shows the sheer incompetence and arrogant attitude at the top of the massively woeful loss making enterprise that is GNE.

Come on. It's been longer than that. We wouldn't be on the forum complaining otherwise.
It's just reached its peak (I hope) over the last 12 months.

(29 Oct 2022, 9:44 pm)Andreos1 Come on. It's been longer than that. We wouldn't be on the forum complaining otherwise.
It's just reached its peak (I hope) over the last 12 months.

I was trying to be positive haha, but yes it’s been awful for years, you can see the marked decline since Huntley. Carr was woeful and it’s managed decline since then. Gilbert was the last throw of the dice to try and he did alright if not a bit gimmicky and then ended up being the wrong leader for a crisis before he jumped before being pushed. 

it just feels inevitable they’ll be sold off. Investment funds have little patience

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 30 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 9:28 pm)DeltaMan Space in Eldon Square is a terrible excuse not to do anything. A sensible operator would do a step back.

Send the buses round the block in the unlikely event of arriving on time during Saturday daytimes. What is more likely to happen is they'll arrive 15 mins late and depart Eldon Square on time. At least give the drivers a fighting chance
I agree its a terrible excuse. However they do need somewhere to park. However there is nothing stopping them giving the X45/X30 etc an extended layover in Consett or Stanley so they can leave Newcastle 20-30 mins late and then leave Hownsgill on time as theyve got the 30 min delay or something and then you don't go 3 hours without a service which is meant to be every 30 mins. 

As for the social media 9-5 doesn't work for most people,say I leave my house at 7am, and my bus is no where to be seen, its due at 7:15, its 7:30 its not here, its not tracking who do I contact, but I start work at 8:30, and then I finish at 5:30 Monday-Friday you literally have no time to complain and on weekends there is no one there. 

Sorry is just not good enough anymore as Ambassador & Andreos said its been the worst over the 12 months and they've done nothing but cut services

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 30 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 9:50 pm)Ambassador I was trying to be positive haha, but yes it’s been awful for years, you can see the marked decline since Huntley. Carr was woeful and it’s managed decline since then. Gilbert was the last throw of the dice to try and he did alright if not a bit gimmicky and then ended up being the wrong leader for a crisis before he jumped before being pushed. 

it just feels inevitable they’ll be sold off. Investment funds have little patience

Positive or realistic?
No cynicism here Ambassador. Not this time anyway. 

It's a knackered culture, sullied by cronies wearing blinkers who know best. 

Oh and of course they'll be sold off. It's as inevitable as an Almiron left foot curler.
But only after the shares take a nose dive.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 30 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 6:54 pm)Ambassador dan…If you’re using a bus 1hr before kick off you aren’t seeing the problem. Nobody would dream of that risk.  The majority do not leave an hour before kick off. The issues are 12-1.30 which are peak travel time. 

If you think 2pm is a good measure. Says all you need to know about the incompetence of the commercial team and how out of touch you are

Ah, shucks. Half an hour too late and everything was miraculously cured during that time and there was little to no aftermath from higher passenger loadings the hour prior.

How foolish of me - I’ve really highlighted my incompetence here.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 30 Oct 2022

(29 Oct 2022, 9:33 pm)Ambassador dans post said it before and his promotion speaks volumes of where the business is at.

I hope you don’t make a judgement of the professional competence/performance of everyone based on their colleagues and the environment that they’re within, rather than that individual’s accomplishments and failures.

If you’re making a judgement based upon my replies on this forum, then this would be incredibly foolish of you - I find playfully replying to you and others, in my position on this forum as an enthusiast, to be quite entertaining. Especially when you and others have their dander up! I am sure the feeling is mutual in this respect.

Come on, Ambassador. As someone that quite likes (and often agrees with) your posts: you’re better than this.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 30 Oct 2022

How far in advance are drivers told to terminate in Gateshead (I'm assuming this is due to driver shortage)? Maybe it was just luck, but I was on the 10/11 on Friday and about 15 minutes after I picked up the bus (so a good 3 hours or so before I was meant to be off); "36969 - on your last run, can you terminate in the City Centre and run light to the depot, please?"

Of course, I still got people wanting to go to Hendon on that last run, despite having "city centre" on the front in big letters but that's another discussion (Think I could put a destination in Shields up and no one would notice as long as the route number's correct).