North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 14 Nov 2022

(14 Nov 2022, 10:04 am)tcts24 Think my favorite to date is a feew weeks ago on route 1 terminating at Seaton Carew. Obviously when I got to Elzabeth way, I'd left the destination as "Seaton Carew". It's company policy to stop anyway even though you know they won't get on. So stopped for a man and small girl on the sea front and immediately told him "It's only going as far as the Schooner", to which he replied "but it says town centre on the front". I then told him it doesn't, it says Seaton Carew and repeated that I finish at the Schooner. Off I went and a few stops later stopped for a woman and of course told her I finish at the Schooner. Her reply was "but it says Seaton Carew on the front". Now this confused me, so I looked blankly at her for a few seconds and finally replied "it does and we're in Seaton and this is where it finishes and I'm going back to the depot". I've no idea where she thought she was.
Ex-GNE driver told me this story. He was going onto the 60.

He came into Park Lane with NIS on the front, loaded up the coffin dodgers going to Seaham (without changing the board) and as a joke made the announcements say "This is the 9 service to Jarrow". Ohh how I wish I'd have been there to see their faces Big Grin

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - tcts24 - 14 Nov 2022

Sounds similar to when I'd went to Owton Manor as a 6 and for whatever reason forgot to change the destination to "7 The Headland". Nobody questioned it all the way to Hartlepool centre where I filled up with shoppers and the likes going home. Somebody FINALLY told me I still had "6 Owton Marnor & Fens" on the front, at which point I changesd it and announced I was actually a 7. Must have been nearly 30 people stood up and piled back off the bus.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - deanmachine - 14 Nov 2022

(14 Nov 2022, 10:42 am)F114TML Ex-GNE driver told me this story. He was going onto the 60.

He came into Park Lane with NIS on the front, loaded up the coffin dodgers going to Seaham (without changing the board) and as a joke made the announcements say "This is the 9 service to Jarrow". Ohh how I wish I'd have been there to see their faces Big Grin

A few weeks ago I had a Drifter on the 9, destination correct, correct stand, NSAs working, and I got as far as Fulwell Grange before a woman came to the front and said "is this not the 60?! I wanted to go to Seaham".

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 14 Nov 2022

(14 Nov 2022, 5:34 pm)deanmachine A few weeks ago I had a Drifter on the 9, destination correct, correct stand, NSAs working, and I got as far as Fulwell Grange before a woman came to the front and said "is this not the 60?! I wanted to go to Seaham".
I was once on Drifter on the 20 and we got to Sunderland College and someone started having a go at the driver and saying Do you not know the route? You went the totally wrong way? What's the driver number I'm reporting you? The number of people who look at the branding and not the destination display is beyond a joke, I remember when I was in Secondary one of my friends was waiting for the 60 and because it was a Corporate Streetlite and not a Drifter she let it drive past because and I quote "I was waiting for a blue bus".

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 14 Nov 2022

Anyone know why X10 is going through Hartlepool?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 14 Nov 2022

(14 Nov 2022, 9:06 pm)Unber43 Anyone know why X10 is going through Hartlepool?

A19 overnight closure.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - tcts24 - 15 Nov 2022

Must be over a month its been doing that on a night. Certainly saw it take some interesting diversions when I'm going the other way with my 7

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 15 Nov 2022

Works on the A19 again. 

Putting right the absolute cowboy job that was done when they widenened and resurfaced some of the section between Wolviston and Norton.

I think this is the 3rd time they've been back, since the initial works were finished last year.

They're doing a portion of resurfacing beyond the Wolviston on slip on the northbound section at the mo off memory. Which means diverting via Hartlepool or Sedgefield/The Trimdons.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 15 Nov 2022

(15 Nov 2022, 12:48 pm)Andreos1 Works on the A19 again. 

Putting right the absolute cowboy job that was done when they widenened and resurfaced some of the section between Wolviston and Norton.

I think this is the 3rd time they've been back, since the initial works were finished last year.

They're doing a portion of resurfacing beyond the Wolviston on slip on the northbound section at the mo off memory. Which means diverting via Hartlepool or Sedgefield/The Trimdons.

It's nothing to do with the widening mind. It's just the last remaining part of concrete that was outside the scheme. 

Not an easy thing to get arid of hence the nighttime closures for weeks in probably the worst place to have a closure on the A19 in terms of diversions.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 15 Nov 2022

(15 Nov 2022, 12:48 pm)Andreos1 Works on the A19 again. 

Talking about widening roads, widening roads does not decrease journey time, it actually increases it.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 15 Nov 2022

(15 Nov 2022, 5:47 pm)Unber43 Talking about widening roads, widening roads does not decrease journey time, it actually increases it.

Care to elaborate?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 15 Nov 2022

(15 Nov 2022, 5:49 pm)streetdeckfan Care to elaborate?
I was shocked at first too, but actually it makes it worse in the long run, as more people are inclined to use roads when the road has been widened as they think its lower commute times so more people use it, and the congestion gets worse.
https://www.smartertransport.uk/does-building-more-roads-reduce-congestion/ https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 15 Nov 2022

A combination of factors makes congestion worse, however I think driver education (through signs, adverts etc) telling people not to change lanes when queuing (which causes the majority of delays) and to merge effectively should be tried before adding other lanes.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 15 Nov 2022

(15 Nov 2022, 6:22 pm)omnicity4659 A combination of factors makes congestion worse, however I think driver education (through signs, adverts etc) telling people not to change lanes when queuing (which causes the majority of delays) and to merge effectively should be tried before adding other lanes.

The main problem is people don't get taught how to drive on dual carriageways and motorways!

(15 Nov 2022, 5:52 pm)Unber43 I was shocked at first too, but actually it makes it worse in the long run, as more people are inclined to use roads when the road has been widened as they think its lower commute times so more people use it, and the congestion gets worse.
https://www.smartertransport.uk/does-building-more-roads-reduce-congestion/ https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

The problem is we don't invest in public transport either. Other countries treat public transport as a public service so if the equivalent GNE made a loss £10m a year it wouldn't be the end of the world if they ran a complete bus service as the gains elsewhere; less traffic, better productivity etc outweighs that usually paid by subsidies. Even known we pay them anyway funding rubbish by GCT and the likes which no-one use.

Instead we treat them like a business so it's just a mess with chopped up routes, carved up areas, routes not going where they want and inadequate light rail / rail services so everyone jumps in a car. There's towns in France of 100k with better rail / light rail that we have in places like Leeds in particular. The exception being London which has a fantastic public transport network imo but even that's in trouble as TFL has a black hole which the government are refusing to help with as they're playing politics and blaming it on Khan as it's all the current Tory lot do lately.

(15 Nov 2022, 5:46 pm)Storx It's nothing to do with the widening mind. It's just the last remaining part of concrete that was outside the scheme. 

Not an easy thing to get arid of hence the nighttime closures for weeks in probably the worst place to have a closure on the A19 in terms of diversions.

Sorry, probably wasn't clear enough. 

Residents in the area pushed for that last section to be included in the original plans.

Decision makers, in their wisdom(?), decided it wouldn't be.

So as well as the original widening and fixing the bodge job of tarmacing from the initial works - they then came back to do the southbound section of concreting (in two sections) and now the northbound (in two sections).
Once being underneath and north of the roundabout to the slips and then further north again.

Adding a further 2 or 3 months on to an existing project, with more inconvenience and cost than was ever needed if they did it all together.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 15 Nov 2022

(15 Nov 2022, 9:03 pm)Andreos1 Adding a further 2 or 3 months on to an existing project, with more inconvenience and cost than was ever needed if they did it all together.

Doubt that the cost would have came out of Autolink's pockets either... just more money on top of the DBFO finance agreement Big Grin

(15 Nov 2022, 9:03 pm)Andreos1 Sorry, probably wasn't clear enough. 

Residents in the area pushed for that last section to be included in the original plans.

Decision makers, in their wisdom(?), decided it wouldn't be.

So as well as the original widening and fixing the bodge job of tarmacing from the initial works - they then came back to do the southbound section of concreting (in two sections) and now the northbound (in two sections).
Once being underneath and north of the roundabout to the slips and then further north again.

Adding a further 2 or 3 months on to an existing project, with more inconvenience and cost than was ever needed if they did it all together.

Different budgets I guess like someone said after. The ironic thing is as far as I'm aware they didn't actually lift the concrete on the widening part - they 100% widened it with concrete first and just laid tarmac on top as far as I'm aware.

Not sure why they've suddenly decided to rip it up which is costly on this part. 

Mind have to give credit though Autolink have got the A19 in good condition, less said about parts of the A1(M) which is bodged mess in places.

(15 Nov 2022, 9:35 pm)omnicity4659 Doubt that the cost would have came out of Autolink's pockets either... just more money on top of the DBFO finance agreement Big Grin

(15 Nov 2022, 9:51 pm)Storx Different budgets I guess like someone said after. The ironic thing is as far as I'm aware they didn't actually lift the concrete on the widening part - they 100% widened it with concrete first and just laid tarmac on top as far as I'm aware.

Not sure why they've suddenly decided to rip it up which is costly on this part. 

Mind have to give credit though Autolink have got the A19 in good condition, less said about parts of the A1(M) which is bodged mess in places.

Just last year, the road had plenty of life in it.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/stretch-a19-produces-jet-engine-22053812#amp-readmore-target

Less than a year later and a decision has been made, it is at the end of its life now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/a19-motorists-hit-two-months-24834846.amp

Demonstrating as much foresight as some local bus operators...

Cancellations - itsadam - 16 Nov 2022

Surely it can't be me that's noticed a significant improvement in the number of short notice journey cancellations recently. Literally no cancellations for tomorrow.

However, saying that though, I don't wanna jinx it and I probably have but oh well. Just let's appreciate it while it lasts I suppose.