North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 01 Dec 2022

(01 Dec 2022, 11:27 am)Unber43 I suggested this before, and as things get worse every day especially with the X21 I wonder whether this could be an idea.

So X21 to West Auckland (from Newcastle) if its anymore than 20 mins late, it will only stop at Newcastle & Gateshead till it gets back to 5/10 mins late /goes to Durham, then if its a at Durham at 30 mins late it will be stopping only from Bishop to West Auckland Retail park

X21 to Newcastle (if anymore than 20 mins late) it would stop between West Auckland & Durham (dropping off only, if its not 15 mins late or less) then running not in service to Newcastle/till its back on time.

This would be quite hard to work out for most services. But this would only really happen if you were like every 15 mins service was 10 mins late, or a 10 mins service was 8 mins late. However if its the final service/service is every hour this wouldn't work unless it was e.g 10B to Newcastle, where it could run in Service to say Blaydon then NIS/Dropping off only to Newcastle

Im not "aw fay" with the x21 route but are you saying that if its more than 20 minutes late into eldon square the driver would tell the paying customers who are waiting that he couldnt take them to low fell or any other stops before durham?  What about if he's 15 minutes late but knows due to it beings a matchday/blackeye Friday/ a march to save the badger through town that by the time he gets to the high level he WILL BE 20 minutes late? what happens if on time out of eldon square but 20 minutes late to Gateshead... does he kick passengers off who aren't going to durham?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 01 Dec 2022

(01 Dec 2022, 11:27 am)Unber43 I suggested this before, and as things get worse every day especially with the X21 I wonder whether this could be an idea.

So X21 to West Auckland (from Newcastle) if its anymore than 20 mins late, it will only stop at Newcastle & Gateshead till it gets back to 5/10 mins late /goes to Durham, then if its a at Durham at 30 mins late it will be stopping only from Bishop to West Auckland Retail park

X21 to Newcastle (if anymore than 20 mins late) it would stop between West Auckland & Durham (dropping off only, if its not 15 mins late or less) then running not in service to Newcastle/till its back on time.

This would be quite hard to work out for most services. But this would only really happen if you were like every 15 mins service was 10 mins late, or a 10 mins service was 8 mins late. However if its the final service/service is every hour this wouldn't work unless it was e.g 10B to Newcastle, where it could run in Service to say Blaydon then NIS/Dropping off only to Newcastle

There are 2 options really in my eyes, agree ticket acceptance with Arriva to allow passengers to use the 6 if the X21 isn't running to West Auckland, or prioritise the section between Durham and West Auckland, and move passengers to the 21.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 01 Dec 2022

(01 Dec 2022, 11:34 am)Rob44 Im not "aw fay" with the x21 route but are you saying that if its more than 20 minutes late into eldon square the driver would tell the paying customers who are waiting that he couldnt take them to low fell or any other stops before durham?  What about if he's 15 minutes late but knows due to it beings a matchday/blackeye Friday/ a march to save the badger through town that by the time he gets to the high level he WILL BE 20 minutes late? what happens if on time out of eldon square but 20 minutes late to Gateshead... does he kick passengers off who aren't going to durham?
No, it would be stopping only, obviously my idea isn't perfect in the least but it could help make time up, especially services whcih follow another route into areas such as 56/57 on Old Durham Road, X21/21 to Newcastle, it would be better than nothing with the current delays still happening.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 01 Dec 2022

(01 Dec 2022, 11:46 am)streetdeckfan There are 2 options really in my eyes, agree ticket acceptance with Arriva to allow passengers to use the 6 if the X21 isn't running to West Auckland, or prioritise the section between Durham and West Auckland, and move passengers to the 21.
Or split it, like arriva did with the X12 when the bridge works were on. 

Making it very limited stop is all well and good but then it doesn't take people to where they want to be like college, work or home. And after witnessing the abuse the driver of our 21 got for picking up stranded passengers, on Tuesday, I wouldn't fancy being the driver telling someone who had been waiting in the cold for over 20 minutes that they couldn't get on.

(01 Dec 2022, 1:06 pm)BusLoverMum Or split it, like arriva did with the X12 when the bridge works were on. 

Making it very limited stop is all well and good but then it doesn't take people to where they want to be like college, work or home. And after witnessing the abuse the driver of our 21 got for picking up stranded passengers, on Tuesday, I wouldn't fancy being the driver telling someone who had been waiting in the cold for over 20 minutes that they couldn't get on.

It's still technically split at Durham isn't it?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 01 Dec 2022

(01 Dec 2022, 1:41 pm)streetdeckfan It's still technically split at Durham isn't it?
I thought it became one route when they took like 4 stops off the end of it in July or whatever it was.

(01 Dec 2022, 1:53 pm)F114TML I thought it became one route when they took like 4 stops off the end of it in July or whatever it was.

Maybe they did, I thought they kept it split which is why it still says Durham then Newcastle on the blind

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 01 Dec 2022

It's officially split but it's the same vehicle, so if it's late arriving at Durham, it's late leaving, too. One thing it does have, though, is a decent layover, which seems to help a lot. The X21 doesn't seem to have any give at any point in the route.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 01 Dec 2022

(01 Dec 2022, 2:07 pm)streetdeckfan Maybe they did, I thought they kept it split which is why it still says Durham then Newcastle on the blind

It’s no longer split (due to the shorter route) but the destinations weren’t ever changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 02 Dec 2022

At least our own Lee Calder had the time to post that bloody elf on a shelf nonsense on GNEs social accounts this morning…that’ll warm the cold souls waiting for their bus

No offence intended Lee, i and all sane people of the world detest that bloody elf nonsense

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 02 Dec 2022

(02 Dec 2022, 12:55 am)Ambassador At least our own Lee Calder had the time to post that bloody elf on a shelf nonsense on GNEs social accounts this morning…that’ll warm the cold souls waiting for their bus

No offence intended Lee, i and all sane people of the world detest that bloody elf nonsense

You might be pointing fingers at the wrong person, Ambassador!

We’re forever being told on here about how piss poor operators are at engaging, especially on their social media channels, but it seems GNE are doing a bit more to combat that perception lately, now service delivery has (vastly) improved…

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 02 Dec 2022

(02 Dec 2022, 4:52 am)Dan You might be pointing fingers at the wrong person, Ambassador!

We’re forever being told on here about how piss poor operators are at engaging, especially on their social media channels, but it seems GNE are doing a bit more to combat that perception lately, now service delivery has (vastly) improved…

I merely guessed at Lee as the tab open on the PC in shot had his name on it!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 02 Dec 2022

(02 Dec 2022, 12:55 am)Ambassador At least our own Lee Calder had the time to post that bloody elf on a shelf nonsense on GNEs social accounts this morning…that’ll warm the cold souls waiting for their bus

https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1598251352282386432?t=M2aaSt9tLRZQpYX6zwG3WA&s=19

Some funny replies and retweets.

(02 Dec 2022, 4:52 am)Dan You might be pointing fingers at the wrong person, Ambassador!

As one wit responded though...

"We're here till 5 to answer any questions"..... Replies turned off...

There's a difference between whacking a novelty elf in a photo with some strategically placed merch and engaging.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 02 Dec 2022

I couldn't have said it better myself 

.jpg
Screenshot_20221202-150826_Chrome.jpg
Size 60.08 KB / Downloads 6

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 02 Dec 2022

(02 Dec 2022, 3:10 pm)DeltaMan I couldn't have said it better myself

The last time I checked, kids aren't on Twitter so I'm not sure how it's putting a smile on a kids face. Elf on the shelf is last year's marketing bit like the bus network is built for decades ago.

Least time has been spent well making all sorts of merchandise to appeal to god knows who.

Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 02 Dec 2022

Since reliability on the X21 is, for lack of a better word, fucked, I'm now stranded in Newcastle for a few hours.

If I'm going to have to pay for an Arriva bus to get home, I might as well wait until it quietens up!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 02 Dec 2022

(02 Dec 2022, 4:28 pm)streetdeckfan Since reliability on the X21 is, for lack of a better word, fucked, I'm now stranded in Newcastle for a few hours.

If I'm going to have to pay for an Arriva bus to get home, I might as well wait until it quietens up!

Get yourself in the 3 bulls for a pint of Carling!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 02 Dec 2022

(02 Dec 2022, 4:28 pm)streetdeckfan Since reliability on the X21 is, for lack of a better word, fucked, I'm now stranded in Newcastle for a few hours.

Passed one earlier with steam pouring out of the back wing mirror issues.

(02 Dec 2022, 4:54 pm)Rob44 Get yourself in the 3 bulls for a pint of Carling!

Carling?!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 02 Dec 2022

(02 Dec 2022, 5:40 pm)Andreos1 Passed one earlier with steam pouring out of the back wing mirror issues.

Carling?!

Yep, nowt wrong with that. Now if you say foster or that lager they are trying to pass off as upper class Madri then fair enough!

Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 02 Dec 2022

An elusive X21 has materialised at Newcastle.
Now, whether it actually makes it to Bishop is another question!