North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MurdnunoC - 26 Dec 2022

(26 Dec 2022, 12:07 am)Andreos1 You sure it wasn't a short notice cancellation? Breakdown? Driver shortage? 
Could explain why the bus didn't turn up.

No. The Clifford Copter mentioned problems with the Metro due to industrial action, but not the buses.
[Image: 321566669_4524098661048369_2705583804321...e=63D0AB08]

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 26 Dec 2022

(26 Dec 2022, 6:53 am)MurdnunoC No. The Clifford Copter mentioned problems with the Metro due to industrial action, but not the buses.
[Image: 321566669_4524098661048369_2705583804321...e=63D0AB08]

He's alive!

What a duo those two were.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MurdnunoC - 26 Dec 2022

(26 Dec 2022, 10:30 am)Andreos1 He's alive!

What a duo those two were.

Oh yes. Providing vital updates and travel information as always.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 05 Jan 2023

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/go-north-east-bus-cancellations-25863923 

I saw this and I read it and one thing caught my eye, 

"We want customers to tell us about services that are not performing well enough, and we have a dedicated customer service support line to help with this. Regarding late cancellations, we post our cancellations list online via social media and our website daily. Our app can also be used for real time information on our services."

However the customer support line doesn't help when there are early or late cancellations Monday-Friday as they're only open 9-5, and all day Saturday and Sunday when there is no one to help

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 05 Jan 2023

(05 Jan 2023, 10:31 am)Unber43 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/go-north-east-bus-cancellations-25863923 

I saw this and I read it and one thing caught my eye, 

However the customer support line doesn't help when there are early or late cancellations Monday-Friday as they're only open 9-5, and all day Saturday and Sunday when there is no one to help
They shouldn't need to get customers to contact them. Analysis Bus Open Data and one assumes their own systems should detect reliability problems for them!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 11 Jan 2023

Must admit Stagecoach Newcastle have been much improved recently - haven't seen a single cancellation since the new year.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 13 Jan 2023

North East bus chief admits to underestimating driver shortage

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/arriva-bus-driver-shortage-cancellations-25971958#ICID=Android_ChronicleNewsApp_AppShare

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 15 Jan 2023

(13 Jan 2023, 6:13 pm)BusLoverMum North East bus chief admits to underestimating driver shortage

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/arriva-bus-driver-shortage-cancellations-25971958#ICID=Android_ChronicleNewsApp_AppShare

The agency drivers at Arriva are absolutely horrendous, probably worse than the ones on the Metro Replacement. Couple of incidents I have noticed over the last week.

Was on the 306 last week and the driver was appalling (I'm assuming it was an agency driver as they had no Arriva uniform) - in 30 minutes he went passed the stop when someone had pressed the bell twice (and didn't stop when told), ignored someone with their hand out at a bus stop, and was constantly breaking harshly. Not exactly the service you want to provide. 

Witnessed one of them on Gosforth High Street at the Brandling Arms drive past someone with their hand out. 

And they obviously haven't been route trained properly either - one on the 55 last night made about 3 errors with the route. 

Sooner they are gone the better - especially as I don't usually find the Arriva Northumbria drivers bad at all.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - RMF1254 - 16 Jan 2023

(15 Jan 2023, 1:01 pm)Thomas12 The agency drivers at Arriva are absolutely horrendous, probably worse than the ones on the Metro Replacement. Couple of incidents I have noticed over the last week.

Was on the 306 last week and the driver was appalling (I'm assuming it was an agency driver as they had no Arriva uniform) - in 30 minutes he went passed the stop when someone had pressed the bell twice (and didn't stop when told), ignored someone with their hand out at a bus stop, and was constantly breaking harshly. Not exactly the service you want to provide. 

Witnessed one of them on Gosforth High Street at the Brandling Arms drive past someone with their hand out. 

And they obviously haven't been route trained properly either - one on the 55 last night made about 3 errors with the route. 

Sooner they are gone the better - especially as I don't usually find the Arriva Northumbria drivers bad at all.
Agree, Arriva drivers on 51 have always been very good.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - RobinHood - 16 Jan 2023

(15 Jan 2023, 1:01 pm)Thomas12 The agency drivers at Arriva are absolutely horrendous, probably worse than the ones on the Metro Replacement. Couple of incidents I have noticed over the last week.
They are the same drivers.

I suspect Arriva don't want to use them longer than they need to either - they are likely more expensive overall.

However, the business is clearly trying to respond to the issues they are facing. An agency driver is better than no driver in the current climate, surely.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 16 Jan 2023

(16 Jan 2023, 6:37 pm)RobinHood They are the same drivers.

I suspect Arriva don't want to use them longer than they need to either - they are likely more expensive overall.

However, the business is clearly trying to respond to the issues they are facing. An agency driver is better than no driver in the current climate, surely.

Depends how dangerous the driving really is!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Aaron21 - 16 Jan 2023

Seems the agency drivers are struggling badly with the 51. Props it is a tough route and really long. 51 tonight (1479 journey to Whitley Bay is an example)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 24 Jan 2023

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/go-north-east-service-cancellations-26051672

seems like the customers on the team valley 10 arnt happy....... even some GNE drivers are worried!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 26 Jan 2023

Fair play to GNE for not having a single planned journey cancellation for the last few days.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 26 Jan 2023

(26 Jan 2023, 5:22 am)DeltaMan Fair play to GNE for not having a single planned journey cancellation for the last few days.

Contrary to what The Chronicle would have you believe, GNE is fully staffed (albeit over-staffed in some locations and under-staffed at Riverside). Cancellations have been minimal for weeks and most days have had no cancellations for the past week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 26 Jan 2023

(26 Jan 2023, 5:30 am)Dan Contrary to what The Chronicle would have you believe, GNE is fully staffed (albeit over-staffed in some locations and under-staffed at Riverside). Cancellations have been minimal for weeks and most days have had no cancellations for the past week or so.

I know bus driving is different but when one of our other sites at work is short on staff and we are " over staffed" myself or colleges have to move there to keep it running for the good of the customers.  Could this not be done in GNE case..... looking at the route ran by riverside i think i could do them without and route learning ( we except the 12 as that's to complicated) so surely a experienced bus driver could do the same?

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 26 Jan 2023

(26 Jan 2023, 9:22 am)Rob44 I know bus driving is different but when one of our other sites at work is short on staff and we are " over staffed" myself or colleges have to move there to keep it running for the good of the customers.  Could this not be done in GNE case..... looking at the route ran by riverside i think i could do them without and route learning ( we except the 12 as that's to complicated) so surely a experienced bus driver could do the same?

This already happens (and is incentivised by GNE) but it is voluntary-based and not mandated.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 26 Jan 2023

(26 Jan 2023, 10:42 am)Dan This already happens (and is incentivised by GNE) but it is voluntary-based and not mandated.

I've noticed consett drivers doing the 8, Deptford drivers doing the 4 etc. Someone who my Uncle knows who Drivers National Express had done 8s/60 over the recent year or something like that.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 01 Feb 2023

Cancelling the 22.26 ex ES Angel today was a true master stroke, on behalf of the Uber and private cab industry.

Top class stuff

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 01 Feb 2023

(01 Feb 2023, 1:02 am)Ambassador Cancelling the 22.26 ex ES Angel today was a true master stroke, on behalf of the Uber and private cab industry.

Top class stuff

As the c.70 passengers who travelled on that journey are aware… it did operate, but around 20 minutes late.

The driver came in off an X10 and ran that journey (as well as return trip from Durham) instead of going back to the depot on arrival from Middlesbrough.

Caught up most of its time by the return trip.