North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 01 Feb 2023

(01 Feb 2023, 5:41 am)Dan As the c.70 passengers who travelled on that journey are aware… it did operate, but around 20 minutes late.

The driver came in off an X10 and ran that journey (as well as return trip from Durham) instead of going back to the depot on arrival from Middlesbrough.

Caught up most of its time by the return trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was on the cancellation list which is helpfully printed out at ES and wasn’t tracking on the app…you can see why a huge amount left the queue and went for a cab? The queue was back past Costa

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 02 Feb 2023

(01 Feb 2023, 11:37 pm)Ambassador was on the cancellation list which is helpfully printed out at ES and wasn’t tracking on the app…you can see why a huge amount left the queue and went for a cab? The queue was back past Costa

If a huge amount left, in addition to the 70 that Dan says travelled on the bus, there can't have been enough room for them all to get onto that bus.

In general, and more so on busy nights (such as when the Toon are playing midweek), those evening 21s become a problem. People wanting to travel beyond Chester-le-Street lose out, due to the bus being full of folk wanting off along Low Fell. 

The Durham evening 21s should really run as X21s, letting the shorts pick up the rest.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 02 Feb 2023

(02 Feb 2023, 9:47 am)And Adrian If a huge amount left, in addition to the 70 that Dan says travelled on the bus, there can't have been enough room for them all to get onto that bus.

In general, and more so on busy nights (such as when the Toon are playing midweek), those evening 21s become a problem. People wanting to travel beyond Chester-le-Street lose out, due to the bus being full of folk wanting off along Low Fell. 

The Durham evening 21s should really run as X21s, letting the shorts pick up the rest.

and those who live on low fell tend to ignore the 28b for whatever reason ( which suits me tbh)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 02 Feb 2023

For GNE Service Cancellation Website over the past 2 months or something the days where there's been no Depford Cancellations, there are a lot of times Deptford routes just don't run. The 07:34 60 a lot of the time with routes. I know there was one day the 16:23 ran and I just missed that the next 60 didn't run till 17:30. They might not be listed but especially the 60 has had loads of routes not run not to mention the significant delays the 60s have had over the past few months.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 02 Feb 2023

Looking now, there is two 10 mins late, one 5 mins late, and one on time.

The one 5 mins late didn't even do half the route.

Also the 33 has had some really high delays recently of 10-25 mins

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 02 Feb 2023

(02 Feb 2023, 9:47 am)Adrian If a huge amount left, in addition to the 70 that Dan says travelled on the bus, there can't have been enough room for them all to get onto that bus.

What happens if someone wants to go from Birtley or Low Fell to Durham, not a fair move imo. Ignoring driver difficulties the better approach would be to run a short 21 duplicate in front when there's a match on.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 02 Feb 2023

(02 Feb 2023, 12:24 pm)nova347 For GNE Service Cancellation Website over the past 2 months or something the days where there's been no Depford Cancellations, there are a lot of times Deptford routes just don't run. The 07:34 60 a lot of the time with routes. I know there was one day the 16:23 ran and I just missed that the next 60 didn't run till 17:30. They might not be listed but especially the 60 has had loads of routes not run not to mention the significant delays the 60s have had over the past few months.

The short notice cancellation page on the website is for driver-related planned cancellations, not for short notice regulation to get services running on time.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 03 Feb 2023

(01 Feb 2023, 1:02 am)Ambassador Cancelling the 22.26 ex ES Angel today was a true master stroke, on behalf of the Uber and private cab industry.

Top class stuff

Wonder if they're going to cancel a load of services on 26th, like they did when Sunderland got to Wembley?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 04 Feb 2023

On a serious note there is a long-standing issue with the Durham road Corridor that perhaps the angel park and ride will address in 2025

The pre 2200 angel to Durham left ES full and displayed bus full whilst the CLS service at 22.06 left empty,

Those going to beyond CLS from Newgate st, cathedral or Gateshead had no hope

Edit karma has struck , the 22.06 has broken down

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - EastCoastMXZ1751 - 04 Feb 2023

(02 Feb 2023, 9:47 am)Adrian If a huge amount left, in addition to the 70 that Dan says travelled on the bus, there can't have been enough room for them all to get onto that bus.

Surely when there's queues and an alternative the driver could say only passengers for unique sections of the route to be allowed on rather than those doing short hops that there's another route to do it on. People do it at haymarket on the X services with arriva all the time they'll get sn X to Gosforth when there's a 43/44/45 in or let a 43/44/45 go and get an X or often as it happens on the 2nd morning X30 let an X11 go at regent centre to get the usually delayed X30.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Bazza - 06 Feb 2023

(04 Feb 2023, 11:01 pm)EastCoastMXZ1751 Surely when there's queues and an alternative the driver could say only passengers for unique sections of the route to be allowed on rather than those doing short hops that there's another route to do it on. People do it at haymarket on the X services with arriva all the time they'll get sn X to Gosforth when there's a 43/44/45 in or let a 43/44/45 go and get an X or often as it happens on the 2nd morning X30 let an X11 go at regent centre to get the usually delayed X30.

Easier said than done when you have a large crowd who just want to get home as soon as possible

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 07 Feb 2023

Now…the last time we had two consecutive days of cancellations on the 21 it was because those pesky Chester le Street shirkers weren’t working thei rest days

I can only assume the 9 cancellations yesterday and the 8 today (including the last bus from Durham) are because …erm….Dan? Lee? Anyone wanna fill us in? And middle of the day is fine relatively, but it’s this evening axes basically making a service hourly that really impact.

You could complain (as did I after being stranded for an hour and a half) but they literally don’t care. The service has utterly nose dived since Riverside took over. I’ve got colleagues paying well over £1k a year for GNE services and my taxi expense bill is higher than ever, I fear for those who don’t have a strong employer behind them.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 07 Feb 2023

Pretty sure the last 58s/57s were on the planned cancellation list as well.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 07 Feb 2023

(04 Feb 2023, 11:01 pm)EastCoastMXZ1751 Surely when there's queues and an alternative the driver could say only passengers for unique sections of the route to be allowed on rather than those doing short hops that there's another route to do it on. People do it at haymarket on the X services with arriva all the time they'll get sn X to Gosforth when there's a 43/44/45 in or let a 43/44/45 go and get an X or often as it happens on the 2nd morning X30 let an X11 go at regent centre to get the usually delayed X30.

This has been the case for years.......... people at Haymarket getting on the first bus to high street or stops after asda on the great north road when the 46 would travel behind empty.  In the late 80 early nights there were loads of times i was on the 44 to hazlerigg/Dinnington and the bus was full once it got to high street and regent centre and left passengers for the about stranded for another 30 minutes  but one the bus hit Gosforth park race course it was half empty.

Also the 29 to town on Saturday was rammed and people had difficulty getting off due to standee's. Its a shame that customers who are going " all the way" couldn't be asked to sit near the rear and leave the fronts for " short hop" customers to whcih there were many.  ( pilus i love the moaning of those who get on at the fell when it turns left at costa to head to salt well park.. " where you going i thought this when to toon" was my favourite"!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 12:14 am)Ambassador Now…the last time we had two consecutive days of cancellations on the 21 it was because those pesky Chester le Street shirkers weren’t working thei rest days

I can only assume the 9 cancellations yesterday and the 8 today (including the last bus from Durham) are because …erm….Dan? Lee? Anyone wanna fill us in? And middle of the day is fine relatively, but it’s this evening axes basically making a service hourly that really impact.

You could complain (as did I after being stranded for an hour and a half) but they literally don’t care. The service has utterly nose dived since Riverside took over. I’ve got colleagues paying well over £1k a year for GNE services and my taxi expense bill is higher than ever, I fear for those who don’t have a strong employer behind them.

Even if you can get people to work rest days or do overtime, which of course should always be voluntary, I'd imagine that evening shifts are the least likely to be taken. Seems to be the case most other places.

Riverside cancellations do look to be at a really concerning level again though, despite all the noises about improvements, recruitment and an increased hourly rate. I wonder if it's increased sickness or that they're further away from the FTE required to deliver service than other depots are.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 07 Feb 2023

I wonder if the 58 has moved back to Riverside as its had Crusaders/Loops on, there was also an EGRider on X21 today.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - missedbus - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 3:44 pm)Unber43 I wonder if the 58 has moved back to Riverside as its had Crusaders/Loops on, there was also an EGRider on X21 today.
Pretty certain it has. The EG Rider buses are shown in the recent fleet news update as having moved to Riverside. 
This would likely partly explain why Riverside cancellations are up and Washington hasn't had any for a little while.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - ASX_Terranova - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 3:59 pm)missedbus Pretty certain it has. The EG Rider buses are shown in the recent fleet news update as having moved to Riverside. 
This would likely partly explain why Riverside cancellations are up and Washington hasn't had any for a little while.

Why was the 58 moved in the first place?

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 9:55 pm)ASX_Terranova Why was the 58 moved in the first place?

It was moved to Washington because Go North East guaranteed drivers their choice of depot when Chester-le-Street closed, rather than them being forced to transfer to the depot that needed the most staff (Riverside).

Once driver numbers settled, it was always the plan for services to move back to the depots which they are most suited to operate from - i.e the 58 at Riverside.

Prior to 29 January, lost mileage was almost nil at most depots on most days (as had been observed on this forum), so it was the right time for the first move back to Riverside.

Running services from the wrong depot is not only very costly and inefficient, but also results in extra drivers being needed to run those services, making the recruitment gap even bigger. Presumably the surplus of drivers from the outgoing depot might facilitate frequencies being restored on routes with temporary reductions, ie 8 at Washington and 65 at Deptford.

The 6, 25 and 28/29 are the other non-scholars services which, at some point, will transfer to Riverside.

In the meantime with the transfer of the 58, Riverside are now short-staffed again (hence the rise in short-notice cancellations). Recruitment efforts are being focused on Gateshead, and some drivers from depots which are over-staffed (ie Percy Main, Consett and Washington) are temporarily (and voluntarily) moving to Riverside. In the short-term there will be some disruption at Riverside again, but the company’s financial performance should improve and overall lost mileage will reduce.

As I have said several times now, the company is under new leadership - and they are clearly making every effort to improve the financial performance of the business.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - ASX_Terranova - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 10:04 pm)Dan It was moved to Washington because Go North East guaranteed drivers their choice of depot when Chester-le-Street closed, rather than them being forced to transfer to the depot that needed the most staff (Riverside).

Once driver numbers settled, it was always the plan for services to move back to the depots which they are most suited to operate from - i.e the 58 at Riverside.

Prior to 29 January, lost mileage was almost nil at most depots on most days (as had been observed on this forum), so it was the right time for the first move back to Riverside.

Running services from the wrong depot is not only very costly and inefficient, but also results in extra drivers being needed to run those services, making the recruitment gap even bigger. Presumably the surplus of drivers from the outgoing depot might facilitate frequencies being restored on routes with temporary reductions, ie 8 at Washington and 65 at Deptford.

The 6, 25 and 28/29 are the other non-scholars services which, at some point, will transfer to Riverside.

In the meantime with the transfer of the 58, Riverside are now short-staffed again (hence the rise in short-notice cancellations). Recruitment efforts are being focused on Gateshead, and some drivers from depots which are over-staffed (ie Percy Main, Consett and Washington) are temporarily (and voluntarily) moving to Riverside. In the short-term there will be some disruption at Riverside again, but the company’s financial performance should improve and overall lost mileage will reduce.

As I have said several times now, the company is under new leadership - and they are clearly making every effort to improve the financial performance of the business.

Almost true, except for the extra pay increases that should be given to people like yourself.