North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 08 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 11:36 pm)ASX_Terranova Almost true, except for the extra pay increases that should be given to people like yourself.

One feeds the other, really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Chris 1 - 08 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 10:04 pm)Dan It was moved to Washington because Go North East guaranteed drivers their choice of depot when Chester-le-Street closed, rather than them being forced to transfer to the depot that needed the most staff (Riverside).

Once driver numbers settled, it was always the plan for services to move back to the depots which they are most suited to operate from - i.e the 58 at Riverside.

Prior to 29 January, lost mileage was almost nil at most depots on most days (as had been observed on this forum), so it was the right time for the first move back to Riverside.

Running services from the wrong depot is not only very costly and inefficient, but also results in extra drivers being needed to run those services, making the recruitment gap even bigger. Presumably the surplus of drivers from the outgoing depot might facilitate frequencies being restored on routes with temporary reductions, ie 8 at Washington and 65 at Deptford.

The 6, 25 and 28/29 are the other non-scholars services which, at some point, will transfer to Riverside.

In the meantime with the transfer of the 58, Riverside are now short-staffed again (hence the rise in short-notice cancellations). Recruitment efforts are being focused on Gateshead, and some drivers from depots which are over-staffed (ie Percy Main, Consett and Washington) are temporarily (and voluntarily) moving to Riverside. In the short-term there will be some disruption at Riverside again, but the company’s financial performance should improve and overall lost mileage will reduce.

As I have said several times now, the company is under new leadership - and they are clearly making every effort to improve the financial performance of the business.

Out of interest, is there a reason why Riverside seems to struggle more than other depots for recruitment?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 08 Feb 2023

(08 Feb 2023, 12:27 pm)Chris 1 Out of interest, is there a reason why Riverside seems to struggle more than other depots for recruitment?

Well its bad enough trying to get out of costco so imagine a long sh£t shift driving a bus only to jump in our car and have to wade through loads of traffic before you get home.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 08 Feb 2023

(08 Feb 2023, 3:38 pm)Rob44 Well its bad enough trying to get out of costco so imagine a long sh£t shift driving a bus only to jump in our car and have to wade through loads of traffic before you get home.

Not to mention there's competition in the area who pay more and, based on the lack of moaning coming into the public, have a better staff morale aswell. 

I do believe Stagecoach Walkergate and Slatyford poached a lot of drivers from both GNE and Arriva from things I've read.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 08 Feb 2023

(08 Feb 2023, 3:54 pm)Storx Not to mention there's competition in the area who pay more and, based on the lack of moaning coming into the public, have a better staff morale aswell. 

I do believe Stagecoach Walkergate and Slatyford poached a lot of drivers from both GNE and Arriva from things I've read.

They certainly poached lots of drivers from arriva at Jesmond - thats why the 43, 44 and 45 had loads of cancelations last year

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - logidoodah - 09 Feb 2023

(08 Feb 2023, 3:54 pm)Storx Not to mention there's competition in the area who pay more and, based on the lack of moaning coming into the public, have a better staff morale aswell. 

(08 Feb 2023, 3:57 pm)Rob44 They certainly poached lots of drivers from arriva at Jesmond - thats why the 43, 44 and 45 had loads of cancelations last year

perhaps that is why it is rumoured that they have went for more tendered services? And there are virtually no cancellations even with the 317 needing extra drivers?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 09 Feb 2023

Walkergate have just had a large influx of new trainees/licence holders within the last week, despite the staffing levels being stable...

Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 15 Feb 2023

Currently on an X21 with a driver learning the route, and he's having real trouble understanding the accent down here!

It's quite funny how the mentor was on about it being a struggle getting around Woodhouse, they should have seen the old route around when they merged the 18 and X21, you could barely get a solo around!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MetrolineGA1511 - 19 Feb 2023

(26 Jan 2023, 5:30 am)Dan Contrary to what The Chronicle would have you believe, GNE is fully staffed (albeit over-staffed in some locations and under-staffed at Riverside). Cancellations have been minimal for weeks and most days have had no cancellations for the past week or so.

While it is encouraging that GNE do now have sufficient staff, this might in part be due to service reductions to match available staff numbers.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 19 Feb 2023

(19 Feb 2023, 12:49 pm)Metroline1511 While it is encouraging that GNE do now have sufficient staff, this might in part be due to service reductions to match available staff numbers.

Looks like they're over-recruiting or there's another tranche of leavers that need back-filling, in this article from their former Northern Echo fanboy/mouthpiece. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-64679128

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - idiot - 09 Mar 2023

As annoying as it is as it's the bus I needed, you can't fault the clarity of it.
.jpg
Screenshot_20230309_185753_Stagecoach.jpg
Size 436.67 KB / Downloads 29

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 09 Mar 2023

(09 Mar 2023, 7:09 pm)idiot As annoying as it is as it's the bus I needed, you can't fault the clarity of it.
It's a shame GNE can't do it! They just pretend it's running still, or just clear it off!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 09 Mar 2023

How are SC Cancellations now? And Arrivas?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 09 Mar 2023

(09 Mar 2023, 8:36 pm)Unber43 How are SC Cancellations now? And Arrivas?

Can’t comment on Arriva, but in the last few months I haven’t seen any for stagecoach newcastle.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - idiot - 09 Mar 2023

First one I've seen a while for Stagecoach tbh

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Michael - 09 Mar 2023

(09 Mar 2023, 10:28 pm)idiot First one I've seen a while for Stagecoach tbh

Stagecoach Sunderland's had quite a few cancellations in the last week or so.

23 was badly effected last week.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 10 Mar 2023

Yeah Sunderland are short of drivers again.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - omnicity4659 - 14 Mar 2023

Stagecoach Newcastle only suffer with finding staff to cover lates, so there's a few cancellations if I don't go out and cover.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 19 Mar 2023

Whenever the Metro is off there should be 3 spare deckers parked at Park Lane, as they were over 40 mins late, however if there was say 3 parked up extra it would be much easier to leave on time. (provided the drivers didn't start their meal break late)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Aaron21 - 19 Mar 2023

R.i.p x66 tomorrow

4 X66 will not run tomorrow in a row

16.35,16.45,16.55,17.05 from Gateshead

16.49,16.59,17.09,17.19 all cancelled in a row