North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions. - Keeiajs - 10 Dec 2021

(10 Dec 2021, 11:44 am)cbma06 Day tickets might be better , depends on the length of journey though, I’m sure GNE would prefer to sell there day tickets etc…

The extensions of x1 to Dalton park and Peterlee might look good through passengers eyes but since there are other services duplicating those extension sections by the same bus company and since the 65 have been turned into a bigger bus and frequency been doubled , GNE could advertise the 65 to Dalton Park connection on there X1 timetables and on the bus to promote the connection, same as the X1 to Easington lane and onward connection  with service 55 and 62 to Peterlee, probably more towards service 55 as it’s a bigger bus than the 62, I’m surprised GNE are duplicating there routes since there’s a pandemic on and it’s been said that there still making a loss or the money from the  government will shortly be going and there have to start making cut backs?.

The X1 extension that GNE should of looked into was extending some journeys from Easington Lane towards Haswell/Shotton/Wheatley Hill/side of Thornley and Ludworth back up the side of Haswell to Easington Lane, which would of been links between the villages and lost connection to Hetton/Houghton and towards Washington to Newcastle which were lost decades ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speaking of the X1 - The Dalton Park leg has been a nightmare, most whcih I get run however it runs 3 mins after the X10 to newcaslte (doesn't help) + I tried to get one the other day and it turned around at Easington Lane (It was 3 mins early) and never came. Nothing on any social media. 
I also think the X1 extension to Dp could go further it has a 15 min wait it could extend to Seaham however the Peterlee & DP services are regularly 10-15 mins late. 
Also no one really knows about the X1's to Dalton Park atleast. Whenever I have got it they have askd the driver how long as this been running, as they quickly leave to get onto the X10 which comes 3 mins before it.

RE: Disruptions. - streetdeckfan - 10 Dec 2021

(10 Dec 2021, 11:55 am)Keeiajs Speaking of the X1 - The Dalton Park leg has been a nightmare, most whcih I get run however it runs 3 mins after the X10 to newcaslte (doesn't help) + I tried to get one the other day and it turned around at Easington Lane (It was 3 mins early) and never came. Nothing on any social media. 
I also think the X1 extension to Dp could go further it has a 15 min wait it could extend to Seaham however the Peterlee & DP services are regularly 10-15 mins late. 
Also no one really knows about the X1's to Dalton Park atleast. Whenever I have got it they have askd the driver how long as this been running, as they quickly leave to get onto the X10 which comes 3 mins before it.

The advantage of the X1 over the X10 is the fact you don't have to buy a more expensive ticket to use it

RE: Disruptions. - Ds1197 - 10 Dec 2021

The Peterlee and Dalton park journeys should be swapped around if they keeping it at 15 minute frequency for most of the route because they come pretty close to the same time as the X9 to Newcastle and Dalton Park with the X10 if Go North East swapped them around it would provide a 30 minuteish service from both places to Newcastle

RE: Disruptions. - Andreos1 - 10 Dec 2021

(10 Dec 2021, 11:44 am)cbma06 Day tickets might be better , depends on the length of journey though, I’m sure GNE would prefer to sell there day tickets etc… 

The extensions of x1 to Dalton park and Peterlee might look good through passengers eyes but since there are other services duplicating those extension sections by the same bus company and since the 65 have been turned into a bigger bus and frequency been doubled , GNE could advertise the 65 to Dalton Park connection on there X1 timetables and on the bus to promote the connection, same as the X1 to Easington lane and onward connection  with service 55 and 62 to Peterlee, probably more towards service 55 as it’s a bigger bus than the 62, I’m surprised GNE are duplicating there routes since there’s a pandemic on and it’s been said that there still making a loss or the money from the  government will shortly be going and there have to start making cut backs?.

The X1 extension that GNE should of looked into was extending some journeys from Easington Lane towards Haswell/Shotton/Wheatley Hill/side of Thornley and Ludworth back up the side of Haswell to Easington Lane, which would of been links between the villages and lost connection to Hetton/Houghton and towards Washington to Newcastle which were lost decades ago.

Day tickets may not be an option though.
Someone working a late shift at say the cinema, McDonald's or KFC might be working beyond the last bus from Dalton Park - single there and a lift home.

Disruptions. - cbma06 - 10 Dec 2021

(10 Dec 2021, 12:21 pm)Ds1197 The Peterlee and Dalton park journeys should be swapped around if they keeping it at 15 minute frequency for most of the route because they come pretty close to the same time as the X9 to Newcastle and Dalton Park with the X10 if Go North East swapped them around it would provide a 30 minuteish service from both places to Newcastle

I don’t think the timings is wrong, as I don’t think many passengers going to board the x1 from Peterlee or Dalton Park to Newcastle anyway as the x9/x10 is faster , it’s more or less for passengers along the route ie Washington galleries , Houghton and vice versa

(10 Dec 2021, 12:53 pm)Andreos1 Day tickets may not be an option though.
Someone working a late shift at say the cinema, McDonald's or KFC might be working beyond the last bus from Dalton Park - single there and a lift home.
After 18:00 it is a pain, 65/61 come within like 10 mins of each other at the end of the hour. 

Its just a nightmare to get from DP on a evening.

(10 Dec 2021, 12:20 pm)streetdeckfan The advantage of the X1 over the X10 is the fact you don't have to buy a more expensive ticket to use it

The passenger on the x10 will be in Newcastle before the x1 gets to Houghton

RE: Disruptions. - deanmachine - 10 Dec 2021

(10 Dec 2021, 11:38 am)Rob44 This is what gets me too. A number of people on here are quick to say "you could jump on the bus to gateshead" when they are turning buses there for late running leaving Newcastle stranded... but if your just buying a single its 1.80 ( i think) then the same price from gateshead to you destination as it would have been from Newcastle. Now wouldn't it be a good idea to get buses going to town to pick up those waiting and get them to gateshead to catch the bus from there for free?  Just a thought

You realise that these buses that are getting turned around in Gateshead are getting dropped out because they're running late for driver's rest periods and driving hours right? So if you send them to Newcastle they're not going to come back in service, they'll just end up missing out more of the route and starting further down the line. It's an unfortunate circumstance but the drivers who are dropped out in Gateshead should be transferring their passengers onto Newcastle bound buses so they don't pay again, but the people stranded in Newcastle are going to be stranded without a bus whether it makes it to Newcastle or not.

RE: Disruptions. - Rob44 - 10 Dec 2021

(10 Dec 2021, 3:08 pm)deanmachine You realise that these buses that are getting turned around in Gateshead are getting dropped out because they're running late for driver's rest periods and driving hours right? So if you send them to Newcastle they're not going to come back in service, they'll just end up missing out more of the route and starting further down the line. It's an unfortunate circumstance but the drivers who are dropped out in Gateshead should be transferring their passengers onto Newcastle bound buses so they don't pay again, but the people stranded in Newcastle are going to be stranded without a bus whether it makes it to Newcastle or not.

Fair enough... but as this happens more and more maybe GNE and other should look at making sure this doesn't happen or when it does have something in place  so the customer in Newcastle are not " stranded"!!

(10 Dec 2021, 3:08 pm)deanmachine You realise that these buses that are getting turned around in Gateshead are getting dropped out because they're running late for driver's rest periods and driving hours right? So if you send them to Newcastle they're not going to come back in service, they'll just end up missing out more of the route and starting further down the line. It's an unfortunate circumstance but the drivers who are dropped out in Gateshead should be transferring their passengers onto Newcastle bound buses so they don't pay again, but the people stranded in Newcastle are going to be stranded without a bus whether it makes it to Newcastle or not.
My issue is when I see it it normally happens for the X1 to peterlee which means they'll be waiting another 60 mins to get home.

RE: Disruptions. - deanmachine - 10 Dec 2021

(10 Dec 2021, 4:02 pm)Rob44 Fair enough... but as this happens more and more maybe GNE and other should look at making sure this doesn't happen or when it does have something in place  so the customer in Newcastle are not " stranded"!!

I agree, unfortunately I can't see the bus companies adding the extra buses into the PVR to make them more reliable, especially at the minute. Sometimes it just can't be helped though with road closures, diversions and incidents on the route.

(10 Dec 2021, 4:22 pm)deanmachine I agree, unfortunately I can't see the bus companies adding the extra buses into the PVR to make them more reliable, especially at the minute. Sometimes it just can't be helped though with road closures, diversions and incidents on the route.
For me with better communication they drivers who do make it to Newcastle could ask passengers to board and then drop them off at Gateshead meaning the buses turning around at Gateshead get closers to there running time and the customers, even though having to board a bus to catch another one would get home..... rather than stand in the cold and rain of market street.

RE: Disruptions. - Andreos1 - 10 Dec 2021

(10 Dec 2021, 4:28 pm)Rob44 For me with better communication they drivers who do make it to Newcastle could ask passengers to board and then drop them off at Gateshead meaning the buses turning around at Gateshead get closers to there running time and the customers, even though having to board a bus to catch another one would get home..... rather than stand in the cold and rain of market street.

I think better communication is key. 
A 27 sweeping up passengers waiting for a 56 and dropping at Gateshead is surely a positive resolution to those punters.
Prior to route merging and consolidation, it may not have been too much of an issue. Chances are an alternative of sorts would have been available.

(10 Dec 2021, 5:03 pm)Andreos1 I think better communication is key. 
A 27 sweeping up passengers waiting for a 56 and dropping at Gateshead is surely a positive resolution to those punters.
Prior to route merging and consolidation, it may not have been too much of an issue. Chances are an alternative of sorts would have been available.

Have a LIKE!

RE: Disruptions. - Adrian - 10 Dec 2021

Good to see that this has generated some decent discussion Smile

(10 Dec 2021, 10:27 am)cbma06 You could get any x1 to Hetton then get the half hourly service 65 from Hetton to Dalton park

Where is that advertised? If I wasn't an enthusiast, how would I know that?

For those who have the GNE app, the journey planner advises you to wait on a random street somewhere for the 65, rather than at Hetton Interchange.

(10 Dec 2021, 11:13 am)Andreos1 Owt on social media about it not running?

It's an option I suppose, but could end up leaving customers out of pocket due to not being able to buy a single/return and depending on connection times, more than inconvenienced or delayed too.

Nothing on Social Media until it was questioned. I noticed on bustimes that the incoming journey was terminated at the Galleries, but no one had the sense to let the passengers waiting for it there that it had been pulled. Despite the stand being right outside of the canteen...

The lack of customer focus is shocking at times.

I'd actually purchased a day ticket, but I had went for the £4 City of Sunderland ticket. I'd have been out of pocket if I'd then went to Heworth for the X10, which I'd say is a better known connection than the X1/65 combo.

I'd agree about advertising onward connections better. You shouldn't have to have a good understanding of the bus network to use it. It's beyond me why we don't advertise the 21/X21 connections at Chester-le-Street for the 8/78 for example, or the 27/X9/X10 at Heworth for services into Newcastle, instead leaving people to think that the Metro is the only game in town.

We'll see what the BSIP has to offer in this respect, and hopefully not more of the same.

For the first im in ages Deptford have got some services cancelled tomorrow

RE: Disruptions. - Jimmi - 10 Dec 2021

(10 Dec 2021, 5:50 pm)Adrian Where is that advertised? If I wasn't an enthusiast, how would I know that?

The lack of customer focus is shocking at times.

I'd agree about advertising onward connections better. You shouldn't have to have a good understanding of the bus network to use it. It's beyond me why we don't advertise the 21/X21 connections at Chester-le-Street for the 8/78 for example, or the 27/X9/X10 at Heworth for services into Newcastle, instead leaving people to think that the Metro is the only game in town.

We'll see what the BSIP has to offer in this respect, and hopefully not more of the same.

Advertising connections seems to be a major weak point in bus operators and not just at GNE however I feel it is poor for example the evening 239 which was recently split into two services at Wingate/Station Town with GNE running Peterlee to Station Town and a small taxi company running Wingate to Sedgefield also with the number 239 doesn't have advertised connections despite the timetables being designed to do so, GNE only show their journeys in the 239 timetable, no mention whatsoever of a bus beyond Station Town to the Trimdons, Fishburn and Sedgefield, wouldn't be surprised if when contracts apparently go out for tender next year that the taxibus portion of the 239 to Sedgefield gets binned off with the classic phrase "due to low passenger numbers" being cited which could well be the case due to lack of knowledge of the service and passengers being put off using it due to being a taxi and having to change buses should they require the full route.

(10 Dec 2021, 6:27 pm)Jimmi Advertising connections seems to be a major weak point in bus operators and not just at GNE however I feel it is poor for example the evening 239 which was recently split into two services at Wingate/Station Town with GNE running Peterlee to Station Town and a small taxi company running Wingate to Sedgefield also with the number 239 doesn't have advertised connections despite the timetables being designed to do so, GNE only show their journeys in the 239 timetable, no mention whatsoever of a bus beyond Station Town to the Trimdons, Fishburn and Sedgefield, wouldn't be surprised if when contracts apparently go out for tender next year that the taxibus portion of the 239 to Sedgefield gets binned off with the classic phrase "due to low passenger numbers" being cited which could well be the case due to lack of knowledge of the service and passengers being put off using it due to being a taxi and having to change buses should they require the full route.

Anything to do with route or timetables or connections etc… for the 239 is up to the local authority and not GNE

(10 Dec 2021, 6:27 pm)Jimmi Advertising connections seems to be a major weak point in bus operators and not just at GNE however I feel it is poor for example the evening 239 which was recently split into two services at Wingate/Station Town with GNE running Peterlee to Station Town and a small taxi company running Wingate to Sedgefield also with the number 239 doesn't have advertised connections despite the timetables being designed to do so, GNE only show their journeys in the 239 timetable, no mention whatsoever of a bus beyond Station Town to the Trimdons, Fishburn and Sedgefield, wouldn't be surprised if when contracts apparently go out for tender next year that the taxibus portion of the 239 to Sedgefield gets binned off with the classic phrase "due to low passenger numbers" being cited which could well be the case due to lack of knowledge of the service and passengers being put off using it due to being a taxi and having to change buses should they require the full route.

I’m more surprised that GNE doesn’t advertise more about connections to other of there bus services , since travel from point A to B is not profitable as there share holders wanting more investment back into their bank accounts offshore and having the passenger having to travel A to B to C and even D to get to there destination, what happened about the 133 in Sunderland , decades ago used to be a 10 minute service with almost double deckers and full and now will be operated by 2 solo’s, no wonder many turning to cars at least there can get to A to B without traveling through the alphabet and not freezing cold at bus stops wondering if the bus will turn up, these days the bus services are for profits and not for passengers

RE: Disruptions. - Jimmi - 10 Dec 2021

(10 Dec 2021, 6:56 pm)cbma06 Anything to do with route or timetables or connections etc… for the 239 is up to the local authority and not GNE

What I meant was GNE's printed timetables on their website at least makes no references to the taxibus 239 existing.

The times between both 239's allow connections from one another, its just a pity GNE doesn't make anyone aware of this.

John Crake & Sons Mini Buses Ltd who run the other half of the 239 do show the connections on their timetables on their Facebook page at least
.jpg
FB_IMG_1639179093803.jpg
Size 47.24 KB / Downloads 26

It's a bit like when ANE/GNE run a daytime service commercially but then don't show the evening journeys who are run by another operator (for example GNE running the 86 to Toft Hill on a night and Arriva who do the daytime journeys produce printed timetables not showing this, or at least haven't in the past).