North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - mb134 - 14 Jun 2023

(14 Jun 2023, 9:42 pm)Unber43 Oh well, it was definitely one of the big 3

All of the big 3 use some form of scheduling software, which will physically not allow for any illegal shifts to be scheduled (which is what your initial post states).

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - idiot - 22 Jun 2023

Two cancellations on stagecoach currently
But tell ya what can't complain how clear it is on the app. https://ibb.co/ggpmVk2

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 22 Jun 2023

Just the 49 cancellations for GNE tomorrow and I’m not referring to the number 49 service

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 22 Jun 2023

awful lot of cancellations are for the last/later services, not a good thing.

I assume lates are the least liked by drivers?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 23 Jun 2023

(22 Jun 2023, 8:39 pm)Ambassador Just the 49 cancellations for GNE tomorrow and I’m not referring to the number 49 service

I know someone with say " different depots" but if they are cancelling 49 services how are they going to run all these new ones in N tyneside?

(22 Jun 2023, 9:45 pm)Unber43 awful lot of cancellations are for the last/later services, not a good thing.

I assume lates are the least liked by drivers?

would you  like to drive a bunch of pissed up knobs around on an evening?  I find it bad enough when i pick the Mrs and her mates up after they've had night on the town!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 23 Jun 2023

(23 Jun 2023, 9:34 am)Rob44 I know someone with say " different depots" but if they are cancelling 49 services how are they going to run all these new ones in N tyneside?

would you  like to drive a bunch of pissed up knobs around on an evening?  I find it bad enough when i pick the Mrs and her mates up after they've had night on the town!

To be fair all of the cancelled services are from Riverside so it’s clearly a localised problem.

I’m pretty sure some drivers from Percy Main are on loan there too - so if Percy main are operating the next services, they should be fine.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 23 Jun 2023

(23 Jun 2023, 11:45 am)Thomas12 To be fair all of the cancelled services are from Riverside so it’s clearly a localised problem.

I’m pretty sure some drivers from Percy Main are on loan there too - so if Percy main are operating the next services, they should be fine.

They tend to prioritise the services they get paid for too (contract work in general and Nexus)

(23 Jun 2023, 11:45 am)Thomas12 To be fair all of the cancelled services are from Riverside so it’s clearly a localised problem.

I knew that someone would say that, which is a reason why  I mention depot.  But i doubt ALDI would open up a store in bensham if the shop in Wrekenton was having to close at 4pm due to staff shortages on a regular basis?

(23 Jun 2023, 1:58 pm)Rob44 I knew that someone would say that, which is a reason why  I mention depot.  But i doubt ALDI would open up a store in bensham if the shop in Wrekenton was having to close at 4pm due to staff shortages on a regular basis?

Wouldn’t it not depend on staff availability in a given location?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 23 Jun 2023

(23 Jun 2023, 1:58 pm)Rob44 I knew that someone would say that, which is a reason why  I mention depot.  But i doubt ALDI would open up a store in bensham if the shop in Wrekenton was having to close at 4pm due to staff shortages on a regular basis?

To be fair that happens. Morrisons at Cowgate is chronically understaffed, there's a role in that store that has 2 members of staff (in total) - got told yesterday, to do a role which needs at least one member of staff on from 8am - 8pm I believe the hours are. They've just opened a new store at Great Park. 

The Riverside problems are all linked back to the car crash of CLS. Even known they won't admit that. Even Arriva admitted they handled Jesmond badly, no doubt GNE is blaming sickness, Covid, wind or whatever still.

(23 Jun 2023, 2:40 pm)Thomas12 Wouldn’t it not depend on staff availability in a given location?

what i mean is it wouldnt look go to shoppers if wreckenton was under staff and they would tooting the horns about a new shop opening within the region.

Meanwhile, Gateshead Central have a bus missing from the 19, 342 and 335 today (and it isn't a one off). Awful service on hourly routes.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 23 Jun 2023

(23 Jun 2023, 4:10 pm)Thomas12 Meanwhile, Gateshead Central have a bus missing from the 19, 342 and 335 today (and it isn't a one off). Awful service on hourly routes.

I'm not defending them but I'm not sure GCT's issues are staff related or more so vehicle related. Every bus that isn't broken is on the road as far I'm aware today, the 19 is missing 324 hence the gaps. 313/323/324 is the normal allocation.

They really don't have enough spares but it's a different problem.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - L469 YVK - 23 Jun 2023

Bit of pie in the sky thinking here.......but if Percy Main has further capacity beyond the 352/353/354/355 come September in terms of drivers, could the following not help with Riverside's situation

57:
- Moved to Percy Main
- Remains half hourly
- Extended back to Hadrian Park. Operates via the following route between Hadrian Park and Coast Road / Station Road then limited stop to Newcastle City Centre with only Cradlewell served https://goo.gl/maps/inzizBfc4ndVrGWS6
- Potential for Nexus & NT Council to move stops to the south side of the roundabout to help with journey times

307:
- Omits Hadrian Park

PVR Changes:
307: -1 (PVR 5x)
57: +2 (PVR 6x) - Note that the Newcastle to High Farm section could be subsidised to replace the 51. Would then only leave Nexus to find a replacement for the Whitley Bay - Holystone section of the 51.

PVR increase for Percy Main would be +5.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Drifter60 - 23 Jun 2023

(23 Jun 2023, 2:40 pm)Thomas12 Wouldn’t it not depend on staff availability in a given location?

I agree with Rob44 personally I feel it’s a bad look to have your current services still cancelled and many let’s remember on temporarily reduced timetables but then agreeing to take a number of new routes somewhere else. I’d also argue that Percy Main to Gateshead is hardly ‘another area’, if it was Arriva and talking about taking on new routes in Teesside whilst services in Tyneside were cancelled then there’s a considerable distance between locations. But this isn’t. It’s a 20 minute drive from Riverside to Percy Main, not to mention the new routes in question here are actually serving Newcastle so whilst other buses in the city are still reduced from ‘normal’ timetables and certain runs cancelled at short notice they’re agreeing to new route in the very same city?

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 23 Jun 2023

(23 Jun 2023, 8:18 pm)Drifter60 I agree with Rob44 personally I feel it’s a bad look to have your current services still cancelled and many let’s remember on temporarily reduced timetables but then agreeing to take a number of new routes somewhere else. I’d also argue that Percy Main to Gateshead is hardly ‘another area’, if it was Arriva and talking about taking on new routes in Teesside whilst services in Tyneside were cancelled then there’s a considerable distance between locations. But this isn’t. It’s a 20 minute drive from Riverside to Percy Main, not to mention the new routes in question here are actually serving Newcastle so whilst other buses in the city are still reduced from ‘normal’ timetables and certain runs cancelled at short notice they’re agreeing to new route in the very same city?

So many times on this forum we see folk criticise operators for not trying new things, being too heavily reliant upon local authorities, and for shrinking their networks… yet here we have an instance of an operator growing their commercial network in North Tyneside and they are criticised for it.

I get the points being made but they really are damned if they do and damned if they don’t here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - V514DFT - 24 Jun 2023

(23 Jun 2023, 10:19 pm)Dan So many times on this forum we see folk criticise operators for not trying new things, being too heavily reliant upon local authorities, and for shrinking their networks… yet here we have an instance of an operator growing their commercial network in North Tyneside and they are criticised for it.

I get the points being made but they really are damned if they do and damned if they don’t here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of which, is there any plans in regards to the 51 Dan?, or is it still in talks with Nexus at the moment?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 24 Jun 2023

(24 Jun 2023, 10:03 pm)V514DFT Speaking of which, is there any plans in regards to the 51 Dan?, or is it still in talks with Nexus at the moment?

I know what you're saying and GNE might only be doing a little but at least they're trying to do something. Could it be the best path? Maybe not but at least they're trying.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 24 Jun 2023

Speaking of these services, does anyone know when Arriva is going to actually cancel them as I don't believe they have yet. I assume you have to give the usual notice and I'm not sure what leg they've got for a short notice especially when they've moaning about the exact the same thing in East Cleveland.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 25 Jun 2023

(24 Jun 2023, 10:55 pm)Storx Speaking of these services, does anyone know when Arriva is going to actually cancel them as I don't believe they have yet. I assume you have to give the usual notice and I'm not sure what leg they've got for a short notice especially when they've moaning about the exact the same thing in East Cleveland.

70 days notice to the local authorities for start of September is this weekend.