North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 25 Jun 2023

(25 Jun 2023, 12:17 am)DeltaMan 70 days notice to the local authorities for start of September is this weekend.

Under the Enhanced Partnership, which the north east operators have signed up to, operators must now start the consultation process with local authorities some 18 weeks ahead of a change, if it is going to have a negative impact on customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 25 Jun 2023

(23 Jun 2023, 4:47 pm)Storx I'm not defending them but I'm not sure GCT's issues are staff related or more so vehicle related. Every bus that isn't broken is on the road as far I'm aware today, the 19 is missing 324 hence the gaps. 313/323/324 is the normal allocation.

They really don't have enough spares but it's a different problem.

There's a bus missing from the 19 today too - surely there must be a shortage of drivers as you'd think they'd have enough spares on a Sunday.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 25 Jun 2023

(25 Jun 2023, 12:17 am)DeltaMan 70 days notice to the local authorities for start of September is this weekend.

Aye you're right. I had a mix up last night thought it was getting done at the end of July. Not sure where I got that date from, guess I got mixed up with all the Sunderland and Durham changes.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 29 Jun 2023

what a piss take it has been to get a newcastle service today + with all the changes over.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 29 Jun 2023

I know some will disagree with this but day's like today they should've just canned everything at Gateshead and directed everyone to the Metro in both directions and/or run a shuttle bus between Newcastle and Gateshead. Made no sense sending anything over the water today as it was always going to lead to ridiculous delays and cancellations as a result.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 29 Jun 2023

I was surprised they didn’t divert via Redheugh at least during early peaks as it was still quicker than sitting on the Tyne Bridge

Metro had its own struggles today as well which didn’t help

(29 Jun 2023, 8:50 pm)Storx I know some will disagree with this but day's like today they should've just canned everything at Gateshead and directed everyone to the Metro in both directions and/or run a shuttle bus between Newcastle and Gateshead. Made no sense sending anything over the water today as it was always going to lead to ridiculous delays and cancellations as a result.

Shuttle bus would have been the best thing.

Espeically with tight timetables, really the 56/X21 should have an extra PVR, but aswell I saw one which was 121 mins late

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 29 Jun 2023

(29 Jun 2023, 8:50 pm)Storx I know some will disagree with this but day's like today they should've just canned everything at Gateshead and directed everyone to the Metro in both directions and/or run a shuttle bus between Newcastle and Gateshead. Made no sense sending anything over the water today as it was always going to lead to ridiculous delays and cancellations as a result.
I was on an early bus into Newcastle, and this is exactly what the driver sensibly suggested to everyone.

Even after it opened up again, there was no recovery for anything. I watched 3x 21s bunched together on bustimes through Low Fell, including one running 30 late. Even later tonight, hours later, there was a 58 running 30+ late in a group of three.

I get they can't do anything about major unexpected road closures, but I'm baffled why control will let a bus trundle around all day getting later and later, rather than cut their losses and turn it early or run it light to get it back on time.

That 58 running 30+ late tonight was a prime example. It shadowed the on time 4 into Follingsby empty, which had already taken the Amazon loading from there. Could have clawed at least 15 back by turning it at Heworth instead.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Turning at Gateshead and office people should have been running the shuttle between Newcastle and Gateshead.

I bet the 1 suffered quite bad.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Michael - 29 Jun 2023

Stagecoach Sunderland's 16 and 23 are always the same, 2 days in a row I've came out of work and they've ran in two's.

The 3/4s are the same

GNE 2/2A/56/20/20A/60/X1/X21 are all really bad for being late and following each other, these are just my expierence but I can imagine the 4, 58 getting bad. I know the 50 is also very prone to delays

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Michael - 29 Jun 2023

(29 Jun 2023, 9:18 pm)Unber43 The 3/4s are the same

No doubt it'll get worse from Monday, when the buses change to every 15 minutes.....

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 29 Jun 2023

(29 Jun 2023, 9:15 pm)Unber43 Turning at Gateshead and office people should have been running the shuttle between Newcastle and Gateshead.

I bet the 1 suffered quite bad.

Why? Office staff aren't employed to drive a bus.

Having an arrangement with Metro would have been a better solution.

(29 Jun 2023, 9:21 pm)Adrian Why? Office staff aren't employed to drive a bus.

Having an arrangement with Metro would have been a better solution.

Office Staff who can drive obvs, they may not be employed but you always have to help out. 

I do think if Metro said free travel between Gateshead/Heworth through to Haymarket would be good

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 29 Jun 2023

Metro are quick to rely on the bus when it goes tits up but it doesn’t seem a mutually beneficial relationship when it goes the other way.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 30 Jun 2023

(29 Jun 2023, 9:04 pm)Adrian I was on an early bus into Newcastle, and this is exactly what the driver sensibly suggested to everyone.

Even after it opened up again, there was no recovery for anything. I watched 3x 21s bunched together on bustimes through Low Fell, including one running 30 late. Even later tonight, hours later, there was a 58 running 30+ late in a group of three.

I get they can't do anything about major unexpected road closures, but I'm baffled why control will let a bus trundle around all day getting later and later, rather than cut their losses and turn it early or run it light to get it back on time.

That 58 running 30+ late tonight was a prime example. It shadowed the on time 4 into Follingsby empty, which had already taken the Amazon loading from there. Could have clawed at least 15 back by turning it at Heworth instead.

Yeah totally agreed, it's a shame like others have said there's no pricing integration as it's quite an expensive short fare for those without a valid ticket.

Would've helped with timings, I walked through Eldon Square heading to M&S and the place just looked a mess, people everywhere, no staff (since they always vanish when they're needed) and no buses in the bus station either.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 30 Jun 2023

The closure of Central Motorway will last until at least next week.

Looks like buses were using the Redheugh today

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Busu284 - 30 Jun 2023

(30 Jun 2023, 3:02 pm)Ambassador The closure of Central Motorway will last until at least next week.

Looks like buses were using the Redheugh today

It's more annoying that gne haven't updated there twitter to tell passengers that service are distrust and not serving normal route. Would say stagecoach but they don't serve any stop between Gateshead & Newcastle and I doubt Arriva would for the X12 cause it ain't serving John Dobson Street

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - idiot - 30 Jun 2023

There not posting as there is no delays Big Grin

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 30 Jun 2023

another shit show for GNE today, control basically said FU to the drivers. No updates via socials, buses running 20-30 mins late. Maybe even longer like seriously, an utter joke