North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 12:00 pm)citaro5284 Notice a post on a local facebook group saying that the 1745, 1825 and 2015 X7 services from Newcastle are not running today.  So that is a bus at 1715 then 1915 then 2115 to the likes of Seghill, Seaton Delaval and New Hartley.

It's alright, can use the Metro to West Monkseaton and change onto the 57, where 2602 yet again is on and will be doing the bus around 18:40.

People are underestimating how much the trains are going to damage the buses as people are sick to death of them round here.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 11 Sep 2023

Extremely poor to see not one-off, but multiple hourly services cancelled.

This is an area where operators need to do much more to ensure these services are covered.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - mb134 - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 12:29 pm)Storx It's alright, can use the Metro to West Monkseaton and change onto the 57, where 2602 yet again is on and will be doing the bus around 18:40.

In future should they just not cover a breakdown/vehicle issue?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 11 Sep 2023

Can't see the situation at GNE improving any time soon.. https://twitter.com/GAGNigel/status/1701197210208137695?t=lLm9cE6aH_MfpRmB-lSfVw&s=19

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - mb134 - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 12:58 pm)DeltaMan Can't see the situation at GNE improving any time soon.. https://twitter.com/GAGNigel/status/1701197210208137695?t=lLm9cE6aH_MfpRmB-lSfVw&s=19

Glad to see lots of diversity in the bus industry...

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 12:59 pm)mb134 Glad to see lots of diversity in the bus industry...

There's a decent amount in front line staff, but at least none in leadership....

They've toned a lot of the good stuff down since MG left and I doubt they've got a Head of DEI (maybe it's Ben and his array of talents)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 11 Sep 2023

Birtley delays were awful this morning nearly every 21 was 25 mins late

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 11 Sep 2023

I used to buy a GNE weekly ticket/Flexi dependant on my needs for a particular week, mainly because the service from Percy Main was very reliable, with few cancellations.

The past week has been a complete shambles, and if it continues I'll be switching to Stagecoach. Even though they have a few cancellations (especially with the 22 regularly randomly terminating at Walkergate Depot without warning), at least the gap between services is smaller, and the 317 is very reliable even though it takes longer.

I'm not sure how people could deal with this sort of service where Go North East are the only option.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 3:31 pm)Thomas12 I used to buy a GNE weekly ticket/Flexi dependant on my needs for a particular week, mainly because the service from Percy Main was very reliable, with few cancellations.

The past week has been a complete shambles, and if it continues I'll be switching to Stagecoach. Even though they have a few cancellations (especially with the 22 regularly randomly terminating at Walkergate Depot without warning), at least the gap between services is smaller, and the 317 is very reliable even though it takes longer.

I'm not sure how people could deal with this sort of service where Go North East are the only option.

Work from home as much as possible?

I rarely go into the office nowadays, because every time I make the commute, I realise why I don't bother...

(11 Sep 2023, 3:31 pm)Thomas12 I used to buy a GNE weekly ticket/Flexi dependant on my needs for a particular week, mainly because the service from Percy Main was very reliable, with few cancellations.

The list massively helped trying to plan to go to Newcastle or anywhere really I tried not to get on a bus where the previous one was cancelled. 

But it was still awful regular 45 mins wait as you would be missing one, the bus after would end up being 15 mins late picking up two loads then went NIS ootherwise it would never make time up, then the one after was cancelled, and then the bus would be like 5 mins late then by the time you got off it was 15 mins late and would go NIS

Does anyone know if the 16.08 X39 from Cobalt ran today? It's not showing on bustimes and I've got a few colleagues whacking in uber receipts (remote colleagues who do a team day once a month in the office - we're not THAT generous!)

We have had a few try it on before and it's normally reliable (if never on time)

(11 Sep 2023, 3:59 pm)Ambassador Does anyone know if the 16.08 X39 from Cobalt ran today? It's not showing on bustimes and I've got a few colleagues whacking in uber receipts (remote colleagues who do a team day once a month in the office - we're not THAT generous!)

We have had a few try it on before and it's normally reliable (if never on time)

No it didn't, the bus that would have usually ran it went on the 307 instead.

(11 Sep 2023, 4:03 pm)Thomas12 No it didn't, the bus that would have usually ran it went on the 307 instead.

Thank you - first time I've ever had an issue with that one (22X we know is a tad unreliable)

I would guess the 17.08 isn't running either as that's the same bus and I've got 13 using that one! 

It will make tempting even the most willing of colleagues into the office that bit harder if the X39 starts becoming an issue

First of all thats a joke, second of all shouldn't there really be a 16:38/17:38 as it seems having it at 08 mins past is a bit tight, 16:15/20 17:15/20 would seem better timed

(11 Sep 2023, 4:09 pm)Ambassador Thank you - first time I've ever had an issue with that one (22X we know is a tad unreliable)

I would guess the 17.08 isn't running either as that's the same bus and I've got 13 using that one! 

It will make tempting even the most willing of colleagues into the office that bit harder if the X39 starts becoming an issue

I'd assume not - I think the same bus/driver usually does all of the X39 runs, so unless they manage to get a spare one then I would assume none of the X39 services will be running today. 

They've obviously took too much on with the ex-Arriva services. Three 1s in a row were cancelled this morning. Hopefully there is a resolution soon.

(11 Sep 2023, 4:14 pm)Thomas12 I'd assume not - I think the same bus/driver usually does all of the X39 runs, so unless they manage to get a spare one then I would assume none of the X39 services will be running today. 

They've obviously took too much on with the ex-Arriva services. Three 1s in a row were cancelled this morning. Hopefully there is a resolution soon.

I don't think they'd have taken the work on, if they knew from day one that they'd be unable to cover it. You'd plan all this into your resource modelling.

What it doesn't account for, is what has happened since doing the modelling and forecasts for introducing those services, e.g. has there been a sudden and unusual increase in sickness, have drivers been loaned to other depots to spread the impact, and so on?

I maintain what I've said many times previous, about operators really needing to get a grip on retention, but sometimes there's factors at play that you really can't realistically foresee.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 11 Sep 2023

According to GNE's website at 17:38 this evening the only cancellations for tomorrow are Consett and there's a few of them.

(11 Sep 2023, 4:21 pm)Adrian I don't think they'd have taken the work on, if they knew from day one that they'd be unable to cover it. You'd plan all this into your resource modelling.

What it doesn't account for, is what has happened since doing the modelling and forecasts for introducing those services, e.g. has there been a sudden and unusual increase in sickness, have drivers been loaned to other depots to spread the impact, and so on?

I maintain what I've said many times previous, about operators really needing to get a grip on retention, but sometimes there's factors at play that you really can't realistically foresee.

Also a lot of people go on hoildays in September as its cheaper so that could be an additional reason.

(11 Sep 2023, 4:51 pm)Unber43 Also a lot of people go on hoildays in September as its cheaper so that could be an additional reason.

Bus drivers generally don't have the flexibility that most of us have, in terms of using our leave, as I understand? They're allocated blocks throughout the year, and if they want a more suitable time, they have to swap it with another colleague. So again, this is something that'd be factored into the resource modelling. 

When I was involved in this in the workplace (not transport), we'd always aim for 20% spare capacity to cover for sickness, annual leave and training.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 11 Sep 2023

Not to mention none of the 553 (GNE) have ran tonight.