North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 4:21 pm)Adrian I don't think they'd have taken the work on, if they knew from day one that they'd be unable to cover it. You'd plan all this into your resource modelling.

What it doesn't account for, is what has happened since doing the modelling and forecasts for introducing those services, e.g. has there been a sudden and unusual increase in sickness, have drivers been loaned to other depots to spread the impact, and so on?

I maintain what I've said many times previous, about operators really needing to get a grip on retention, but sometimes there's factors at play that you really can't realistically foresee.

Wonder if they might have modelled for more Arriva driver's to come across and in the end they haven't bothered.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 5:34 pm)Storx Wonder if they might have modelled for more Arriva driver's to come across and in the end they haven't bothered.

Aren't they waiting for their re-settlement payment

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 5:34 pm)Storx Wonder if they might have modelled for more Arriva driver's to come across and in the end they haven't bothered.

Well Dan said once the agreements or something between the Ex-Arriva drivers, and Arriva some will be coming over.

(11 Sep 2023, 5:35 pm)Unber43 Aren't they waiting for their re-settlement payment
(11 Sep 2023, 5:36 pm)nova347 Well Dan said once the agreements or something between the Ex-Arriva drivers, and Arriva some will be coming over.

Aye believe so, be interesting if many do as I'm not sure why they'd want to. I can understand why they'd want to move away from Arriva but considering they've been working in the same yard as Stagecoach for over a year and they're, as far as I'm aware, paid more. Not sure why anyone wouldn't take that option.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 6:34 pm)Storx Aye believe so, be interesting if many do as I'm not sure why they'd want to. I can understand why they'd want to move away from Arriva but considering they've been working in the same yard as Stagecoach for over a year and they're, as far as I'm aware, paid more. Not sure why anyone wouldn't take that option.

It depends where they live, too, of course.

Stagecoach will be the worst paid of the big three as soon as GNE’s pay deal is settled. Even GNE’s first offer (which drivers are balloting to strike over) sees them overtake Stagecoach. Whatever is agreed will be backdated to 1 July (or whenever the employee started at GNE, if after that date).

Conditions at Stagecoach (in terms of driving portions etc) are far worse than GNE.

Plenty of reasons why folk would go to GNE over Stagecoach. Of course, I am sure there are reasons why some drivers would prefer to work at Stagecoach too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(11 Sep 2023, 6:44 pm)Dan It depends where they live, too, of course.

Stagecoach will be the worst paid of the big three as soon as GNE’s pay deal is settled. Even GNE’s first offer (which drivers are balloting to strike over) sees them overtake Stagecoach. Whatever is agreed will be backdated to 1 July (or whenever the employee started at GNE, if after that date).

Conditions at Stagecoach (in terms of driving portions etc) are far worse than GNE.

Plenty of reasons why folk would go to GNE over Stagecoach. Of course, I am sure there are reasons why some drivers would prefer to work at Stagecoach too!

Yeah that's true, can't disagree with any of that, no doubt there's a few old guards about who used to be based at the likes of Whitley Bay still in there.

I heard SCNE don't pay drivers for dead runs, so if you have two dead runs which are 20-30 mins each, youre going to be losing an hour pay, whereas GNE do and there dead run times are quite generous so i think thats a reason, if they didnt I assume a lot of staff would have left, perhaps this could be why SCNE do quite well due to their un-lengthy dead runs.

Wheatshef depot longest dead run is Farringdon probably not sure about others depot.

GNE they probably are (not including school routes)

Deptford - Langley Park (20), Peterlee (206), Hebburn (26)
Washington - Peterlee (X1)
Consett - Metrocentre (6)
Riverside - West Aukland (X21), Middlesbrough [Match Days Only] (X10), Hexham (10)
Percy Main - Metrocentre (1), Blyth (309)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 7:37 pm)Unber43 I heard SCNE don't pay drivers for dead runs, so if you have two dead runs which are 20-30 mins each, youre going to be losing an hour pay, whereas GNE do and there dead run times are quite generous so i think thats a reason, if they didnt I assume a lot of staff would have left, perhaps this could be why SCNE do quite well due to their un-lengthy dead runs.

Wheatshef depot longest dead run is Farringdon probably not sure about others depot.

GNE they probably are (not including school routes)

Deptford - Langley Park (20), Peterlee (206), Hebburn (26)
Washington - Peterlee (X1)
Consett - Metrocentre (6)
Riverside - West Aukland (X21), Middlesbrough [Match Days Only] (X10), Hexham (10)
Percy Main - Metrocentre (1), Blyth (309)
I've never heard of that, but that sounds a bit iffy to me? If you're driving a bus, then you're working and should be paid accordingly. Regardless of whether it is in or out of service.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

(11 Sep 2023, 7:51 pm)Adrian I've never heard of that, but that sounds a bit iffy to me? If you're driving a bus, then you're working and should be paid accordingly. Regardless of whether it is in or out of service.

I don't know exactly if it was true but it is what i was told.

Suppose its similar to flight attendants they only get paid when the doors are shut and the plane is "in service" and not all of the stuff they have to do before that is possible.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - mb134 - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 7:37 pm)Unber43 I heard SCNE don't pay drivers for dead runs, so if you have two dead runs which are 20-30 mins each, youre going to be losing an hour pay, whereas GNE do and there dead run times are quite generous so i think thats a reason, if they didnt I assume a lot of staff would have left, perhaps this could be why SCNE do quite well due to their un-lengthy dead runs.

That sounds very illegal? Regardless of if you're driving in service, you're at work. Similar to how drivers are paid while carrying out vehicle checks etc.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 5:35 pm)Unber43 Aren't they waiting for their re-settlement payment

Redundancy/settlement agreement from ANE and then a golden handshake from GNE. 

Possibly...

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 11 Sep 2023

The very last Stagecoach 1 to the west end of Newcastle is cancelled tonight (and not for the first time I hear...), not that the average punter would know as Stagecoach don't post anything on the website or twitter....

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Michael - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 8:36 pm)DeltaMan The very last Stagecoach 1 to the west end of Newcastle is cancelled tonight (and not for the first time I hear...), not that the average punter would know as Stagecoach don't post anything on the website or twitter....

Aye its annoying, feel like I have to keep checking the app, on a morning, well before I go for the bus.

(11 Sep 2023, 8:29 pm)Andreos1 Redundancy/settlement agreement from ANE and then a golden handshake from GNE. 

Possibly...

How long will they have to stay till they can go to GNE. Especially how GNE's North Tyne Rockets routes are almost copies off Arrivas routes with a few changes so I cant see it taking that long to train them off even if they just stay on the Rockets Rota.

Presuming that the new routes are on the same rota, and 1, 309, 310 are separate.

Also it must be boring as a Percy Main driver driving 1/309/310 all day

(11 Sep 2023, 10:34 pm)Unber43 Presuming that the new routes are on the same rota, and 1, 309, 310 are separate.

Yer, I suppose you have the schools and contract work and the 327 plus the Toon Tour.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 11 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 10:34 pm)Unber43 Presuming that the new routes are on the same rota, and 1, 309, 310 are separate.

Don’t think so, have seen drivers on the 1 who are also on the new routes.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 12 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 7:51 pm)Adrian I've never heard of that, but that sounds a bit iffy to me? If you're driving a bus, then you're working and should be paid accordingly. Regardless of whether it is in or out of service.

I think as long as it doesn't take them under minimum wage on average then it's legal

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 12 Sep 2023

Happy to be corrected by any of the Stagecoach drivers on this forum, but my understanding is that their drivers are paid for dead runs but not for the time they drive a van to a relief point at the start or end of their shift, or before and after their break.

For example, Stagecoach services 10/11 in Sunderland relieve at the Winter Gardens. From the moment the driver is scheduled to arrive at the Winter Gardens, s/he is then ‘off the clock’ (whilst travelling back to the Wheatsheaf).

This is quite common practice in the industry. You will find that Arriva drivers aren’t paid to travel on the staff shuttle between Belmont and Durham City Centre too.

As I mentioned above, Go North East’s terms and conditions are more favourable to drivers - presently at all depots barring Riverside and Hexham, this travel time is paid (ie between Park Lane and Deptford, or Hownsgill and Consett Bus Station).

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - RobinHood - 12 Sep 2023

(12 Sep 2023, 4:35 am)Dan For example, Stagecoach services 10/11 in Sunderland relieve at the Winter Gardens. From the moment the driver is scheduled to arrive at the Winter Gardens, s/he is then ‘off the clock’ (whilst travelling back to the Wheatsheaf).

That sounds illegal. The employee is actually operating a company vehicle and should be paid for that time.