North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 14 Sep 2023

(14 Sep 2023, 9:14 pm)Unber43 Tbf X39 should be cancelled as you can get the 309, not ideal I appreciate that but atleast you will have a bus.

You’ll just push commuters back to their cars or home working. It may only be 10-15 mins quicker but those types of commuters won’t entertain it, they just won’t come back. I know this from managing thousands of them. It’s yet more commercial nonsense from them

The 309 has become chronically unreliable. The sooner a regional ticket comes in the better, then at least the 22X which has become reliable is an option

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 14 Sep 2023

(14 Sep 2023, 9:28 pm)Ambassador You’ll just push commuters back to their cars or home working. It may only be 10-15 mins quicker but those types of commuters won’t entertain it, they just won’t come back. I know this from managing thousands of them. It’s yet more commercial nonsense from them

The 309 has become chronically unreliable. The sooner a regional ticket comes in the better, then at least the 22X which has become reliable is an option

X39 hasn't ran all week has it, and the morning journey is usually late! 

it is a joke

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 14 Sep 2023

(14 Sep 2023, 9:28 pm)Ambassador You’ll just push commuters back to their cars or home working. It may only be 10-15 mins quicker but those types of commuters won’t entertain it, they just won’t come back. I know this from managing thousands of them. It’s yet more commercial nonsense from them

I never understood why the X39 doesn't run all day tbh. It's crazy arguably the only destination going against the main peak flow has to take a magical mystery tour around the world unless they happen to the hit 3 specific boards.

The 308/309 should be swapped around with the 308 via Battle Hill and the 309 going direct along the Coast Road, Non-stop after Wallsend Dene towards Newcastle. No-one would lose out bar Lynn Road imo.

Obviously the partnership is a farce though and Arriva would never agree with that.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - mb134 - 14 Sep 2023

(14 Sep 2023, 9:52 pm)Storx I never understood why the X39 doesn't run all day tbh. It's crazy arguably the only destination going against the main peak flow has to take a magical mystery tour around the world unless they happen to the hit 3 specific boards.

I've never used it myself, but looking at the timetables the times don't look massively different outside of the peak so I imagine during the day the 309 should be more than enough?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 14 Sep 2023

(14 Sep 2023, 10:04 pm)mb134 I've never used it myself, but looking at the timetables the times don't look massively different outside of the peak so I imagine during the day the 309 should be more than enough?

Yeah don't think there is, just always seems a big selling point having an 'express' service even for people from Whitley Bay etc. If you want people out of cars someone from Rake Lane probably don't want to be taking a detour everywhere either, going via Cobalt is totally understandable and Silverlink is somewhere you might actually want to go.

The idea there was btw more to change the 309 into the X39 so it continues through to Blyth - be pointless otherwise though.

Might only save 7 minutes or so but it just feels quicker moving along non stop, the 306-308 on the other hand feel like a right slog of a service similar to the Angel.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 15 Sep 2023

the X39 could be a great opportunity for GNE to break into Ashington,

Newcastle, Silverlink, A19, Cramlington, Bedlington, Ashington.

Can also be timetabled with the 352, and 353 especially leaving Cramlington

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Bazza - 15 Sep 2023

(15 Sep 2023, 9:51 am)Unber43 the X39 could be a great opportunity for GNE to break into Ashington,

Newcastle, Silverlink, A19, Cramlington, Bedlington, Ashington.

Can also be timetabled with the 352, and 353 especially leaving Cramlington

They used to run both the 434 and the 19 into Ashington.  Didn’t manage to ‘break into Ashington’ with those routes

(15 Sep 2023, 10:00 am)Bazza They used to run both the 434 and the 19 into Ashington.  Didn’t manage to ‘break into Ashington’ with those routes

434 was contracted every 2 hours or less, and the 19 was a route which was never changed for years and went downhill as it was never adapted

Also this a key route from Newcaslte and the Silverlink, perhaps they could talk to Silverlink Employers and see where their staff live and offer routes to there.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Bazza - 15 Sep 2023

(15 Sep 2023, 10:02 am)Unber43 434 was contracted every 2 hours or less, and the 19 was a route which was never changed for years and went downhill as it was never adapted

Also this a key route from Newcaslte and the Silverlink, perhaps they could talk to Silverlink Employers and see where their staff live and offer routes to there.

A stepping stone to ‘break into Ashington’ that still wasn’t taken though.  So why would they bother with the X39?

(15 Sep 2023, 12:13 pm)Bazza A stepping stone to ‘break into Ashington’ that still wasn’t taken though.  So why would they bother with the X39?
To try and grow the network if the NT Rockets survive

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 15 Sep 2023

i thought arriva and GNE were working together for the benefit of the customer not to create more buses for an area with already enough???

(15 Sep 2023, 2:03 pm)Rob44 i thought arriva and GNE were working together for the benefit of the customer not to create more buses for an area with already enough???
X39 is seperate and it doesn't stop along the coast road like the other 4 do.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 16 Sep 2023

(15 Sep 2023, 2:22 pm)Unber43 X39 is seperate and it doesn't stop along the coast road like the other 4 do.

Yeh i get that but why would GNE extend it to ashington to basicaly cause competition between themselves and ANE?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 16 Sep 2023

(15 Sep 2023, 10:02 am)Unber43 434 was contracted every 2 hours or less, and the 19 was a route which was never changed for years and went downhill as it was never adapted

Not sure there'd be the demand, you're basically just duplicating the Blyth and Tyne railway but making it much longer. No-one from down here wants to go anywhere near Bedlington and Ashington and that's why it'll struggle.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - L469 YVK - 16 Sep 2023

(14 Sep 2023, 9:28 pm)Ambassador The 309 has become chronically unreliable. The sooner a regional ticket comes in the better, then at least the 22X which has become reliable is an option

High Farm isn't the issue with the 309. Effectively, the 309 has the same layover times as the March 2019 changes when last standalone, not forgetting pre QA that GNE timed the 309 to run minutes ahead of the 308. And although there's remote reliefs in New York, the drivers are normally quite efficient changing over.

The problems are......
- A193 & Whitley Bay Links
- Whitley Bay Town Centre
- Foxhunters roundabout
- Rake Lane
- That stupid roundabout at Murton Farm

Same goes for the 308 not forgetting Billy Mill junction.

Best thing I can suggest would be for the 308 & 309 to only serve Maughans towards Newcastle to save needing to do the loop around to Whitley Road / HSBC.

A lot of the blame lies with North Tyneside Council and their stupid traffic management & road planning policies! Only gonna get a lot worse when all the houses are up on Rake Lane!

NECA, Arriva and GNE can only throw so much money and resource at the issues!

Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 18 Sep 2023

This will be fun, on the current frequency...

[Image: 8645a4de8b25f190dc24de7cff66470f.jpg]

Catch the Bus Month: more of a challenge than a statement.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 18 Sep 2023

(18 Sep 2023, 5:58 am)Adrian This will be fun, on the current frequency...

[Image: 8645a4de8b25f190dc24de7cff66470f.jpg]

Catch the Bus Month: more of a challenge than a statement.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Could be worse, if I'm right there isn't a bus from Whitley Bay beyond North Shields from 17:50 until 21:12. All peak time services towards the Coast are pretty much cancelled aswell.

Coaster 1

The following full journeys will not operate    
  • From Whitley Bay: 15:47, 18:12, 18:42   
  • From Metrocentre: 16:05, 16:25, 16:45, 18:08
The following journeys will only run as far as Percy Main the Redburn   
  • From Whitley Bay:  13:44, 14:24 
  • From Metrocentre: 10:39, 13:19, 15:45  
The following journeys will start at Percy Main the Redburn   
  • From Whitley Bay: 19:12, 20:12   
  • From Metrocentre: 20:08  

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - citaro5284 - 18 Sep 2023

I notice 11 services that Arriva are cancelling within the next 3 hours from Haymarket - let us not all forgot there is not just 1 operator with staffing issues.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 18 Sep 2023

(18 Sep 2023, 12:54 pm)citaro5284 I notice 11 services that Arriva are cancelling within the next 3 hours from Haymarket - let us not all forgot there is not just 1 operator with staffing issues.

Bit of whataboutery there mind like. We've been discussing the Arriva issues in the other thread but not many people are from up here so there's not as much discussion on it.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 18 Sep 2023

Can't remember the last time I used an Arriva service in the North East, so I don't really pay them much attention.

X1 into town this morning was fine, but surprised at the volume of passengers on board. I've said it dozens of times, but this really needs to go back to at least a 12 minute frequency. We were full by Springwell, heading into Newcastle.

On the way home, I didn't bother, I opted for the Metro and 4 instead.