North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 23 Sep 2023

I tell you what, Go North East are a complete disgrace.

No service on the Q3 from Newcastle to Great Park for two hours this evening.

A service 1 was supposedly only going to Percy Main, and turned passengers going further away. Yet when it got to Percy Main, a driver is waiting to take over and it continued to Whitley Bay. Then again, I'm lucky it turned up at all as it never usually does. The last services are cancelled again today.

The Coast Road services from both Arriva and Go North East are a disgrace, yesterday both the 23:00 307 and 23:15 308 failed to operate. I give up waiting to see if the 23:45 309 would come, and got a taxi instead.

These companies are shocking, and some action needs to be taken against them. At Stagecoach South, they were forced to give passengers free travel due to unreliability - same should happen here.

Source about Stagecoach South offering free travel: https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/stagecoach-ordered-offer-free-travel-7841455

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - deanmachine - 23 Sep 2023

(23 Sep 2023, 7:01 pm)Thomas12 I tell you what, Go North East are a complete disgrace.

A service 1 was supposedly only going to Percy Main, and turned passengers going further away. Yet when it got to Percy Main, a driver is waiting to take over and it continued to Whitley Bay. Then again, I'm lucky it turned up at all as it never usually does. The last services are cancelled again today.

The Coast Road services from both Arriva and Go North East are a disgrace, yesterday both the 23:00 307 and 23:15 308 failed to operate. I give up waiting to see if the 23:45 309 would come, and got a taxi instead.

These companies are shocking, and some action needs to be taken against them. At Stagecoach South, they were forced to give passengers free travel due to unreliability - same should happen here.

Source about Stagecoach South offering free travel: https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/stagecoach-ordered-offer-free-travel-7841455

Drivers are wanting to strike and GNE are struggling to cover services, I wonder if it's related.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 23 Sep 2023

(23 Sep 2023, 7:01 pm)Thomas12 I tell you what, Go North East are a complete disgrace.

Not excusing Arriva but it appears 7501 was having problems and was running 30 minutes late, until it was swapped with 7602, which ran 30 minutes late in both directions.

Obviously they wouldn't do something stupid like allocating 7501 the day after, for it to clearly have the same issue again and running 20 minutes late for no reason, to then run 7501 later in the same day for it start running 32 minutes late for absolutely no reason again.

I assume Blyth is short of buses and not just drivers.

Disruptions and driver shortages - j986986 - 23 Sep 2023

They are a disgrace. So are most of the bus operates in the North East. Every time someone complains they get defensive and make up excuses or repeat the line ‘it’s because of driver shortages’. Why do they timetable so many services then? It’s not fair on people who rely on them to get to work, appointments etc. A bus just not turning up is ridiculous but it happens thousands of times a day and cutting certain places off for 2+ hours on a night time is a joke.

If they cannot sustain the services they have (which they clearly can’t) they need to be honest with people and make timetables to reflect that instead of taking on more routes and sending drives from GNE to Manchester.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 24 Sep 2023

I think this tweet is clumsy, and I largely agree with the responses. https://twitter.com/GAGNigel/status/1705326274363760952

[Image: 244dc6dfda96ff50cf5d0abba4c8eb89.jpg]

There's no question that this is a huge operational challenge and they need support in delivering it, but even if you are taking drivers away from struggling operating companies to support, its not really something to brag about on twitter!

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DeltaMan - 24 Sep 2023

(24 Sep 2023, 1:09 am)Adrian I think this tweet is clumsy, and I largely agree with the responses. https://twitter.com/GAGNigel/status/1705326274363760952

There's no question that this is a huge operational challenge and they need support in delivering it, but even if you are taking drivers away from struggling operating companies to support, its not really something to brag about on twitter!

It's completely tone deaf. It's one thing getting operational support in, like this weekend, to support a switch over. It's another taking drivers from local companies for months on end from elsewhere just because Go North West can't recruit enough drivers.

This whole thing reminds me of the issues at Stagecoach South West and the Commonwealth Games, and we all know how that ended up..... Obviously Go Ahead fear Burnham more than they do the Traffic Commissioner....

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 24 Sep 2023

(24 Sep 2023, 1:09 am)Adrian I think this tweet is clumsy, and I largely agree with the responses. https://twitter.com/GAGNigel/status/1705326274363760952

It's one I've been keeping a close eye on. Knew it was coming, but assumed (clearly incorrectly) that measures would be in place to ensure operations wouldn't be affected or impacted locally. 
Hence not highlighting it on here. 

In the case of Percy Main:
*How many drivers have they lost to Manchester temporarily? 

*How many drivers have they lost (ie resigned) as a result of the business pressures and impact of seeing colleagues seconded elsewhere?

*What is the short, medium and longterm impact on passengers on both existing and recently introduced routes? 

Bearing in mind all of this is ongoing during pay talks, with some drivers now off earning (I presume) an enhanced rate, it really smacks of an absolutely stinking culture.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - 54APhotography - 24 Sep 2023

(23 Sep 2023, 7:08 pm)deanmachine Drivers are wanting to strike and GNE are struggling to cover services, I wonder if it's related.

History repeating itself with Feetham. GoAhead need to look hard at their regional management..

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 24 Sep 2023

(24 Sep 2023, 7:29 am)54APhotography History repeating itself with Feetham. GoAhead need to look hard at their regional management..

Prior to Covid and Brexit, I'd argue his methods in cutting salary and benefit overheads, was probably successful. Despite being morally bankrupt. 

Stage 1:
Piss the loyal, higher earning employees off enough that they quit. 

Stage 1.5: If stage 1 doesn't work, consider fire and re-hire.  

Stage 2: Replace with cheaper, younger, naive employees with lower rates and perks.

Things have changed now and I don't think his modus operandi will work or at the very least, be as effective.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 24 Sep 2023

I mean…I’d love someone to come on and defend this bee thing. I get why you might need to do it, but just don’t shout about it externally. Do it internally and don’t piss off your own customers

I don’t get the PR at all. Nigel is obviously more about the wider group but the amount of GNE mangement staff gleefully posting about their jaunt to Manchester is bonkers and shows they couldn’t give a toss about their own customers.

If they’re that keen to help out, plenty of cancelled buses waiting to be operated

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 24 Sep 2023

(24 Sep 2023, 7:39 am)Andreos1 Prior to Covid and Brexit, I'd argue his methods in cutting salary and benefit overheads, was probably successful. Despite being morally bankrupt. 

Stage 1:
Piss the loyal, higher earning employees off enough that they quit. 

Stage 1.5: If stage 1 doesn't work, consider fire and re-hire.  

Stage 2: Replace with cheaper, younger, naive employees with lower rates and perks.

Things have changed now and I don't think his modus operandi will work or at the very least, be as effective.

It did, however, ensure that Go Ahead, as a group, would commit to never attempt to use fire and rehire again. For a company that very much work on a federated business, it must have been embarrassing to the management team to have talks take place over their head.

You also have to ask at what cost. The company gained a reputation for bullying and intimidating behaviour, as was alleged by Unite at the time, and as you suggest, pissing loyal employees off in the process. Is it any wonder why the industry has such a retention issue?

Oh, and you can't help but have that nauseous feeling, reading the virtual back-patting between NF and Burnham on twitter...

(24 Sep 2023, 1:09 pm)Ambassador I mean…I’d love someone to come on and defend this bee thing. I get why you might need to do it, but just don’t shout about it externally. Do it internally and don’t piss off your own customers

I don’t get the PR at all. Nigel is obviously more about the wider group but the amount of GNE mangement staff gleefully posting about their jaunt to Manchester is bonkers and shows they couldn’t give a toss about their own customers.

If they’re that keen to help out, plenty of cancelled buses waiting to be operated

That's the thing. We know internally in organisations that it happens, but as for bragging about it against the backdrop of 'short notice cancellations'? Wow!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 27 Sep 2023

The X8 seemed to be going on some kind of random mystery tour last night!

https://bustimes.org/vehicles/anum-ane-7623?date=2023-09-26

Disruptions and driver shortages - j986986 - 08 Oct 2023

[Image: 211029557316f3e9671a0f615a2010b7.jpg]
The joys of Stagecoach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - mb134 - 11 Oct 2023

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I've noticed that Stagecoach are offering welcome bonuses for drivers joining with a PCV licence at Slatyford.

https://stagecoach.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Slatyford-Newcastle-upon-Tyne-United-Kingdom/Qualified-Bus-Driver----1000-joining-bonus-_JR6143?locations=49c9cea535990101fa69cd21381e0000

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Chris 1 - 12 Oct 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 6:44 pm)Dan It depends where they live, too, of course.

Stagecoach will be the worst paid of the big three as soon as GNE’s pay deal is settled. Even GNE’s first offer (which drivers are balloting to strike over) sees them overtake Stagecoach. Whatever is agreed will be backdated to 1 July (or whenever the employee started at GNE, if after that date).

Conditions at Stagecoach (in terms of driving portions etc) are far worse than GNE.

Plenty of reasons why folk would go to GNE over Stagecoach. Of course, I am sure there are reasons why some drivers would prefer to work at Stagecoach too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(11 Oct 2023, 12:27 pm)mb134 Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I've noticed that Stagecoach are offering welcome bonuses for drivers joining with a PCV licence at Slatyford.

https://stagecoach.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Slatyford-Newcastle-upon-Tyne-United-Kingdom/Qualified-Bus-Driver----1000-joining-bonus-_JR6143?locations=49c9cea535990101fa69cd21381e0000

I noticed that.  Only on offer for a specific time.  What was the period of time Arriva drivers had to stay for them to receive their relocation bung?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 12 Oct 2023

Sorry, but I had to laugh: https://twitter.com/UKBusAwards/status/1712484015385543168

I'm not sure any operator should be collecting awards for recruitment and retention at the minute, if they're struggling to do just that. Not a day goes by where service can be fully delivered, as there's not enough drivers available to cover the work.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 13 Oct 2023

(12 Oct 2023, 4:50 pm)Adrian Sorry, but I had to laugh: https://twitter.com/UKBusAwards/status/1712484015385543168

I'm not sure any operator should be collecting awards for recruitment and retention at the minute, if they're struggling to do just that. Not a day goes by where service can be fully delivered, as there's not enough drivers available to cover the work.

Is this satire? 

Surely a marketing campaign is judged on its success not its snazzy strapline?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 13 Oct 2023

(12 Oct 2023, 1:11 pm)Chris 1 I noticed that.  Only on offer for a specific time.  What was the period of time Arriva drivers had to stay for them to receive their relocation bung?

It'll be targeting extremely unhappy GoNorthEast drivers instead surely... It's not far from Riverside.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 14 Oct 2023

A X12 kicked off all their passengers at Birtley due to running out of driving hours

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 26 Oct 2023

I had the misfortune of a pretty rough day on the 21 today and none of it was GNEs fault.

The rush hour 21s out of Newcastle were running 30-45 mins late out of Newcastle and it’s all down to the councils and the road network

Collingwood St and The Bigg Market are undergoing works to improve the flow of what is a pinch point of a junction but it took my 21 about 12 minutes to get from Wilko to High Level, not assisted by cars blocking Grainger St

The A184 was packed towards Gateshead interchange so the buses couldn’t access the bus lane, this added just under 8 minutes

We then got stuck on High St West as traffic from the A184 towards Gateshead Highway blocked the junction.

The above two are no doubt unintended consequences of Gatesheads utterly insane road network.

Low Fell was horrific, although I’d normally be off home at the cannon I was meeting friends in Chester. We crawled along to lyndhurst, at least 15 minutes.

Then we hit…Birtley. Wow. The new cycle lane and footpath improvements have 3 way lights at the moment, combined with the A1 roadworks, it’s a recipe for disaster, af5er 5 mins stuck at Eighton Lodge roundabout we sat in Newcastle Bank for 10 minutes before crawling through Birtley and then hitting yet more roadworks for the cycle lane after Komats. We arrived in Chester just under 40 mins late with a convoy of equally late 21s behind us.

I’m quick to criticise service delivery, but I genuinely don’t know what they can do aside stakeholder bollocking Gateshead Council for their ineptitude. Only going to get worse next year with the Tyne Bridge