North East Buses
Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland (/showthread.php?tid=3581)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Go North East - Recent Repaints - Dan - 15 Oct 2021

(15 Oct 2021, 11:36 am)omnicity4659 Using that logic, Gateshead Central Taxis is a huge talking point also, doesn't mean they're a success.

I don't think you can use the same logic as the context is completely different.

Bus brands are usually set out to be eye-catching and noticeable. These brands are being discussed, so are gaining traction from being noticeable. I'm not sure Gateshead Central Taxis really aspires towards vast amounts of discussion regarding non-operation, early running, poor driving standards and lack of driver awareness.

RE: Go North East - Recent Repaints - omnicity4659 - 15 Oct 2021

(15 Oct 2021, 11:41 am)Dan I don't think you can use the same logic as the context is completely different.

Bus brands are usually set out to be eye-catching and noticeable. These brands are being discussed, so are gaining traction from being noticeable. I'm not sure Gateshead Central Taxis really aspires towards vast amounts of discussion regarding non-operation, early running, poor driving standards and lack of driver awareness.

*dons marketing hat* Yes, I do see your point in that it has been noticed... but this is a bus forum where it'll be discussed in length anyway - especially as it's a GNE livery who have a larger enthusiast following in the North East than Arriva or Stagecoach.

Has there actually been any substantial feedback about the brands from people who aren't enthusiasts?

RE: Go North East - Recent Repaints - streetdeckfan - 15 Oct 2021

(15 Oct 2021, 11:54 am)omnicity4659 *dons marketing hat* Yes, I do see your point in that it has been noticed... but this is a bus forum where it'll be discussed in length anyway - especially as it's a GNE livery who have a larger enthusiast following in the North East than Arriva or Stagecoach.

Has there actually been any substantial feedback about the brands from people who aren't enthusiasts?
When I was on the X21 at CLS yesterday, someone asked the driver where the stand for the 'Country Ranger' to Sunderland Royal was, they couldn't remember the number of the bus but they remembered the name.

I think that's probably a good sign that route branding works

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - 54APhotography - 15 Oct 2021

A handful of the newly branded Graphite Solo's captured today

675 NK16BXS | Optare Solo SR M925 675 travels along the A101… | Flickr
676 NK16BXU | Optare Solo SR M925 676 travels along the A101… | Flickr
678 NK16BXW | Optare Solo SR M925 678 travels along Ryhope R… | Flickr

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - Dan - 15 Oct 2021

(15 Oct 2021, 3:17 pm)54APhotography A handful of the newly branded Graphite Solo's captured today

675 NK16BXS | Optare Solo SR M925 675 travels along the A101… | Flickr
676 NK16BXU | Optare Solo SR M925 676 travels along the A101… | Flickr
678 NK16BXW | Optare Solo SR M925 678 travels along Ryhope R… | Flickr

The nearside photos clearly show why the logo is at the size it is - the photo is obviously a little dark which makes the 'scribble effect' difficult to see, but there's actually very little room on the nearside, as had been suggested previously by someone else. Obviously on the offside there is more room, but having the logo two different sizes would look odd.

Lots of full buses on those three photos too... Almost as if the passenger data that Go North East uses to make decisions was actually right after all, and that the anecdotal cases of 'full buses' on the 39 during the day weren't actually an issue after all.

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - KingSlayerRBLX - 15 Oct 2021

i personally cant wait to See the 'Blue' Citaro.
So which Solos are going into:
Blonde
Silver

and which citaros into:
Blue

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - Rapidsnap - 15 Oct 2021

It was me that suggested that the logo is that size because of the space on the nearside.

You also have to add in the additional cost to order the logos of different sizes plus stocking spares should panels be replaced. God knows how many different size Go North East logos have been used over the years, seen plenty occasions where small ones have subbed for large ones or large ones subbing for small ones. Actually I will have examples.....

Large instead of Small on the rear of Dennis Lance / Optare Sigma 4784 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/51169648585
Small instead of Large on the sides of Optare MetroRider 413 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/49092461616

RE: Go North East - Recent Repaints - stagecoachbusdepot - 15 Oct 2021

(15 Oct 2021, 11:17 am)Dan Yes, you're right. I suspect most bus users won't pay close attention to the age of vehicles or their pollution, however.

Pushing green credentials is something Go North East do well (Euro 6 leaves on all appropriate buses, green messaging on the rear and sides of some buses), but I'm not sure that many customers care. As in your example with Stagecoach, I suspect most customers wouldn't have even noticed the difference.

We've seen examples of this up and down the country with operators in areas with LEZ/CAZ restrictions imposed moving their oldest non-conforming buses to other parts of the country which don't have these restrictions. It is as you say the inevitable flaw in creating these restrictions.

In the case of the Stagecoach examples they might have noticed the sudden appearence of plumes of black smoke that the Manviros like to emit (when they are actually working)!

Is there still a plan to launch area guides for the likes of Sunderland (and I guess Washington, Peterlee etc)?  And what ever happened to that mammoth network map?

(15 Oct 2021, 4:41 pm)Rapidsnap It was me that suggested that the logo is that size because of the space on the nearside.

You also have to add in the additional cost to order the logos of different sizes plus stocking spares should panels be replaced. God knows how many different size Go North East logos have been used over the years, seen plenty occasions where small ones have subbed for large ones or large ones subbing for small ones. Actually I will have examples.....

Large instead of Small on the rear of Dennis Lance / Optare Sigma 4784 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/51169648585
Small instead of Large on the sides of Optare MetroRider 413 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/49092461616

I dont think the size is such an issue as the positioning on the offside.  All it needs is to be central on the black bit and would look ok I think.  Nearside actually looks decent.

RE: Go North East - Recent Repaints - Keeiajs - 15 Oct 2021

(15 Oct 2021, 11:17 am)Dan All the Volvo B9s in the fleet are having their three-pin sockets removed (or covered up) and replaced with USB charging points. I believe Arriva started to do similar with some of their Sapphire buses a few years ago, as the three-pin sockets are unreliable, costly to maintain and stop working quite often.
Any news on when this will be done? for the 56?

RE: Go North East - Recent Repaints - Keeiajs - 15 Oct 2021

(15 Oct 2021, 11:17 am)Dan Streetlites 8339 - 8346 all have Wi-Fi, so you're wrong there. By the end of the year once all intended Citaros and OmniCitys are withdrawn, every bus across the main service fleet (excluding school buses) will be equipped with Wi-Fi. A re-trim may follow at some point in the future, but it's clear that the current priority is getting buses completed which are in the 'wrong' brand, or are critical to future re-allocations (i.e. Volvo B5 Hybrid and Red Kite Ranger Volvo B9 into Consett).

I'm really not sure I buy the argument that Sunderland are getting 'leftovers' - the only buses being re-allocated are the ex-Citylink Citaros and the ex-Quaylink Versas - the rest of the buses were already based at Deptford.

There are no plans for Scania OmniCitys or Scania OmniDekkas to transfer to Deptford permanently. They have never operated this vehicle type other than small loan period stints. The 15-plate Streetlites will be surplus to requirements once Deptford receive all their remaining Cherry and Berries buses. They do not need any extra buses to allow these to be displaced.

I disagree that the Solos are 'far too small'. I have observed loadings at peak times and the buses haven't even been full. Should passenger numbers return to where they were pre-Covid (we're a long way off that yet), then I'm sure we'll see an upgrade in capacity (as we did the X20). These Solos will of course come in handy at some point in future as replacements for the eldest Solos in the fleet (the 10 and 11-plate Solos all becoming end of life in the fleet).

The Solos used are 9.25m in length, so I'm glad Go North East are providing suitably sized Solos in your opinion
Will any of the Peterlee Purples, Drifter or Saltwell parks get USB? Also didn't sunderland get the ex-blaydon racer, ex-TEN, Ex-Saltwell Parks, Ex-Red Kite (which are going), Also I do think OmniDekka's will make there way to deptford. Also I have seen 3-5 39's full. Personally there might need to be a few duplicates but thats it.

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - streetdeckfan - 16 Oct 2021

(15 Oct 2021, 3:23 pm)Dan The nearside photos clearly show why the logo is at the size it is - the photo is obviously a little dark which makes the 'scribble effect' difficult to see, but there's actually very little room on the nearside, as had been suggested previously by someone else. Obviously on the offside there is more room, but having the logo two different sizes would look odd.

Lots of full buses on those three photos too... Almost as if the passenger data that Go North East uses to make decisions was actually right after all, and that the anecdotal cases of 'full buses' on the 39 during the day weren't actually an issue after all.

I'll have to wait until I see a better picture, but to me it looks like there's still room to make it larger, and better spaced out on the nearside as well

RE: Go North East - Recent Repaints - Keeiajs - 16 Oct 2021

(15 Oct 2021, 10:39 am)Dan It's a bit of both:
https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/x-lines

At no point has X-lines ever been referred to as something to encompass all 'express' routes - only ever 'fast and direct' for interurban/intercity services - and each and every service held under this brand, for at least part of the route, either goes the way in which you would drive in your car, or has a 'slow' counterpart, so is suited to the brand.

In the same vein, no specific reference to a certain type of internal specification has ever been stated, only ever that the buses have high-back seats, USB charging facilities, Wi-Fi, and next stop announcements. 

X-lines X1:
  • Limited stop on Old Durham Road
  • Runs via Washington Highway - the way in which you would drive in your car

X-lines X5/X15:
  • Runs via A691 - the way in which you would drive in your car if travelling between Consett and Durham
  • Has a 'slow' counterpart service, the 16.

X-lines X9/X10:
  • Limited stop
  • Runs via A19 - the way in which you would drive in your car if travelling to/from Middlesbrough.

X-lines X20
  • Limited stop in places between Sunderland and Durham
  • Runs via A690 - the way in which you would drive in your car
  • Has a 'slow' counterpart service, the 20.

X-lines X21
  • Limited stop between Newcastle and Chester-le-Street
  • Runs via A1 - the way in which you would drive in your car between Chester-le-Street and Gateshead
  • Has a 'slow' counterpart service, the 21.

X-lines X30/X31
  • Runs direct via Causey
  • Has a 'slow' counterpart service, the 6.

X-lines X45/X46
  • Limited stop through Teams
  • Has a 'slow' counterpart service, the 47/47A.

X-lines X70/X71
  • Largely runs via A692 - the way in which you would drive in your car

X-lines X84/X85
  • Limited stop
  • Runs via A69 - the way in which you would drive in your car to/from Hexham
  • Has a 'slow' counterpart service, the 10.

The only obvious service that stands out as not being particularly well suited to the brand is the X72, but it's clear that this is owing to the interworking pattern and the fact it provides a combined frequency of up to every 20 minutes between Newcastle, Gateshead and Sunniside with the X70/X71. It is still, ever so slightly, quicker than the 6 (end to end, Newcastle to Stanley, 1hr 4m on service 6, 58m on service X72 - but the real express route of choice is obviously the X30/X31 between these locations).
Well I mean going by which buses go on A routes that would make the 50, A1080 for 60/62/61, A1231 for 8, A695 12/12A.

And tbh the traffice at Whickham makes the route take over 1hr 20 mins.

(15 Oct 2021, 9:30 am)cbma06 I’m sure Dan mentioned awhile ago that Xlines doesn’t mean it comes under an Express service (like in the olden days), I think it’s more comfort and quality service, I’m sure Dan will inform us again as I can’t find the post he posted from probably years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surely when you hear XLines you will think Express and not a slow stopping service at every stop. Maybe think of something else if it is for comfort, like Sapphire, Gold....

RE: Go North East - Recent Repaints - ASX_Terranova - 16 Oct 2021

(16 Oct 2021, 10:07 am)Keeiajs Well I mean going by which buses go on A routes that would make the 50, A1080 for 60/62/61, A1231 for 8, A695 12/12A.

And tbh the traffice at Whickham makes the route take over 1hr 20 mins.

Surely when you hear XLines you will think Express and not a slow stopping service at every stop. Maybe think of something else if it is for comfort, like Sapphire, Gold....
I quite like platinum, you could use this for high frequency or high quality.
I think arriva used this down south for a while.

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - streetdeckfan - 16 Oct 2021

I think Xlines is more about the overall experience rather than any one thing in particular. Yes, there are probably more routes that you could shove under the branding because they go direct (and maybe some that shouldn't be there), but do they fit the 'ethos' of the Xlines brand?

Obviously being 'express' (by whatever definition you care to use) makes up a large chunk of that experience, but there's also the improved customer experience on board in comparison to the more 'normal' routes, with the high back chairs, WiFI, USB, NSA etc. Although most vehicles 2015 onwards meet the Xlines spec regardless of the branding, so that is probably less of a factor.

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - 54APhotography - 16 Oct 2021

(16 Oct 2021, 8:44 am)streetdeckfan I'll have to wait until I see a better picture, but to me it looks like there's still room to make it larger, and better spaced out on the nearside as well
You'll find the logo doesn't show up well regardless of light, and that is full low October sun OK,

Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - TEN 6083 - 16 Oct 2021

8331 has re-entered service but is in fleet livery rather than Berries.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro using Tapatalk

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - ian foster - 17 Oct 2021

(15 Oct 2021, 4:40 pm)KingSlayerRBLX i personally cant wait to See the 'Blue' Citaro.
So which Solos are going into:
Blonde
Silver

and which citaros into:
Blue
I would guess on it being 5323 - 5326 as the PVR is 4 for the 61. I would also guess 5291 - 5297 going into Cherries apart from the 2 already painted . Not sure about 5304.

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - Train8261 - 17 Oct 2021

Couldn't find the form on the small letter next to the number on the bus or even if one was made. But yesterday a woman said she wanted the 2 and she said the front showed the 2 but the the side showed 2A

Don't know if this is a problem with the front destination board being broke on one side or that the smaller letters are becoming a problem or it's the lighting hitting the destination board

https://flic.kr/p/2mBE9RD

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - Andreos1 - 17 Oct 2021

(17 Oct 2021, 3:54 pm)Train8261 Couldn't find the form on the small letter next to the number on the bus or even if one was made. But yesterday a woman said she wanted the 2 and she said the front showed the 2 but the the side showed 2A

Don't know if this is a problem with the front destination board being broke on one side or that the smaller letters are becoming a problem or it's the lighting hitting the destination board

That whole small letters thing bugs me. In Birmingham, there is the A4, 4A and 44. There are some slight variations in route, but when that sort of combination is used, there's bound to be issues. Destinations need to be clear, concise and of course - working fully. Ambiguity doesn't help passengers at all.

RE: Sunderland District | A new network of brands for services in Sunderland - deanmachine - 17 Oct 2021

(17 Oct 2021, 3:54 pm)Train8261 Couldn't find the form on the small letter next to the number on the bus or even if one was made. But yesterday a woman said she wanted the 2 and she said the front showed the 2 but the the side showed 2A

One of the Versas has a really dim destination display, can imagine that confusing passengers, especially if it's a nice day.