North East Buses
JH Coaches of Birtley - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other Operators (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+---- Forum: Tyne & Wear Independents (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: JH Coaches of Birtley (/showthread.php?tid=460)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: JH Coaches of Birtley - OrangeArrow49 - 25 Jul 2022

(25 Jul 2022, 4:39 pm)TEN 6083 That’s mine, go ahead and use it

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro using Tapatalk

JH not tracking still, hopefully they’ll sort it out as soon as they can especially with gaining extra services from GNE.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro using Tapatalk

Really? I didn't get out to capture the first day of the service changes unfortunately and I really like your shot of the 82, it's a nice setting. No problem with giving credit if you desire.

JH should really track, hopefully they do get it sorted.

RE: JH Coaches of Birtley - OrangeArrow49 - 28 Jul 2022

Could there be scope for the 82 to be extended to Newcastle? Perhaps uplift the service to half-hourly, extending to Newcastle once per hour? Maybe this could make the service commercially viable and JH Coaches would be able to compete with Go North East?

RE: JH Coaches of Birtley - Adrian - 28 Jul 2022

(28 Jul 2022, 1:34 pm)OrangeArrow49 Could there be scope for the 82 to be extended to Newcastle? Perhaps uplift the service to half-hourly, extending to Newcastle once per hour? Maybe this could make the service commercially viable and JH Coaches would be able to compete with Go North East?

Wouldn't that be Nexus competing with Go North East?

I can't see it being an effective use of what limited money there is for secured services, not least when you have the Metro from Gateshead to the 3 points in Newcastle that people are most likely wanting to travel to.

RE: JH Coaches of Birtley - Jack Gill - 28 Jul 2022

It seems pointless imo, there's enough buses going to Newcastle from Gateshead for people to change to.

(28 Jul 2022, 1:44 pm)Adrian Wouldn't that be Nexus competing with Go North East?

I can't see it being an effective use of what limited money there is for secured services, not least when you have the Metro from Gateshead to the 3 points in Newcastle that people are most likely wanting to travel to.

Just to clarify, I was saying JH Coaches, rather than Nexus, could possibly compete with North East, if there was sufficient demand and other services could be established to connect with.

The Metro costs money, likewise it costs more if you need multiple operators (there is ticket acceptance in place for now, but there is no guarantee it will continue). Nexus already compete anyway, there is a day ticket for Gateshead Central Taxis and Phoenix services (not sure if this is accepted on JH & Weardale).
Besides, not everyone likes the Metro, and direct links are better, so they should be an option. 

We don't need more buses crossing the river, definitely not, but if ticket acceptance was removed, or it was cheaper to use just Nexus services (which it already is) the 82 being extended to Newcastle would make it a good option for passengers to use.

Someone could argue we don't need Eldon Square, buses could terminate at High Level Bridge and passengers could use the Metro to reach Eldon Square from Central Station. 

If the 82 is popular between Gateshead and Birtley, I assume some passengers would use it to and from Newcastle.

RE: JH Coaches of Birtley - MurdnunoC - 28 Jul 2022

(28 Jul 2022, 2:20 pm)OrangeArrow49 Just to clarify, I was saying JH Coaches, rather than Nexus, could possibly compete with North East, if there was sufficient demand and other services could be established to connect with.

The Metro costs money, likewise it costs more if you need multiple operators (there is ticket acceptance in place for now, but there is no guarantee it will continue). Nexus already compete anyway, there is a day ticket for Gateshead Central Taxis and Phoenix services (not sure if this is accepted on JH & Weardale).
Besides, not everyone likes the Metro, and direct links are better, so they should be an option. 

We don't need more buses crossing the river, definitely not, but if ticket acceptance was removed, or it was cheaper to use just Nexus services (which it already is) the 82 being extended to Newcastle would make it a good option for passengers to use.

Someone could argue we don't need Eldon Square, buses could terminate at High Level Bridge and passengers could use the Metro to reach Eldon Square from Central Station. 

If the 82 is popular between Gateshead and Birtley, I assume some passengers would use it to and from Newcastle.

I doubt the management team at JH Coaches will have much of an appetite to compete with GNE after what transpired when they last tried around 30 years ago. Everything comes down to resource. While the prospect of competition, leading to cheap fares and more choice for passengers, might encapsulate the spirit of deregulation, the reality is that whomever has the most resource, usually the incumbent operator, wins the battle. Sure, there might be a brief period of competitive fares, but things aren't always what they seem. The attractive fares on offer are usually loss-leaders designed to persuade passengers to use their service, and again, it is usually the operator with the most resource and financial backing who is able to offer the lowest fares and absorb the costs. Once the competition is eliminated, all those loses which the winner has absorbed have to be recouped somehow, which means higher fares for passengers in the long run.

Unless the service is offering something truly original or tapping into a market which no-one has exploited, competition on existing routes is probably not a commercially viable prospect. 

BTW, if anyone wants to read about bus competition in the North East, there is a fantastic report commissioned by the, then Monopolies and Mergers Commission (Now the Competitions Commission), available in the reference section of Gateshead Central Library. See link below:

https://prism.librarymanagementcloud.co.uk/gateshead/items/66988?query=the+supply+of+bus+services&resultsUri=items%3Fquery%3Dthe%2Bsupply%2Bof%2Bbus%2Bservices

(28 Jul 2022, 5:09 pm)MurdnunoC I doubt the management team at JH Coaches will have much of an appetite to compete with GNE after what transpired when they last did tried around 30 years ago. Everything comes down to resource. While the prospect of competition, leading to cheap fares and more choice for passengers, might encapsulate the spirit of deregulation, the reality is that whomever has the most resource, usually the incumbent operator, wins the battle. Sure, there might be a brief period of competitive fares, but things aren't always what they seem. The attractive fares on offer are usually loss-leaders designed to persuade passengers to use their service, and again, it is usually the operator with the most resource and financial backing who is able to offer the lowest fares and absorb the costs. Once the competition is eliminated, all those loses which the winner has absorbed have to be recouped somehow, which means higher fares for passengers in the long run.

Unless the service is offering something truly original or tapping into a market which no-one has exploited, competition on existing routes is probably not a commercially viable prospect. 

BTW, if anyone wants to read about bus competition in the North East, there is a fantastic report commissioned by the, then Monopolies and Mergers Commission (Now the Competitions Commission), available in the reference section of Gateshead Central Library. See link below:

https://prism.librarymanagementcloud.co.uk/gateshead/items/66988?query=the+supply+of+bus+services&resultsUri=items%3Fquery%3Dthe%2Bsupply%2Bof%2Bbus%2Bservices

JH Coaches are competing with GNE, via Nexus. Apparently the 82 is cheaper than equivalent GNE services. I'm not sure what the fares are from Gateshead. Nonetheless it's nice to see independent operators around the region, even if on secured routes only. Perhaps the wrong thread here, but Gateshead Central Taxis seem to be disappearing from much of the region, I'm curious to see if they keep the 84/84A, 335, 342, 516 etc come March. Personally I'd like to see the 84/84A/342 merged and coordinated with the 335. Arriva would be a good operator for these.

(28 Jul 2022, 5:24 pm)OrangeArrow49 JH Coaches are competing with GNE, via Nexus. Apparently the 82 is cheaper than equivalent GNE services. I'm not sure what the fares are from Gateshead. Nonetheless it's nice to see independent operators around the region, even if on secured routes only. Perhaps the wrong thread here, but Gateshead Central Taxis seem to be disappearing from much of the region, I'm curious to see if they keep the 84/84A, 335, 342, 516 etc come March. Personally I'd like to see the 84/84A/342 merged and coordinated with the 335. Arriva would be a good operator for these.

How are JH Coaches competing with GNE via Nexus?

They are being paid to provide a service which Nexus have deemed socially necessary through a tendered bidding process. JH Coaches may have registered the lowest price for that contract, but I suspect they were bidding against a range of operators, not just GNE. As we've seen with other operators in the region recently, the lowest bid isn't always the most sustainable bid, which is why the contract sometimes put back out to tender. Now I'm not suggesting that this is the case with JH Coaches, but I guess we'll soon find out whether their bid was too low if the service is re-tendered and they don't win it.

JH Coaches of Birtley - Dan - 28 Jul 2022

(28 Jul 2022, 5:41 pm)MurdnunoC How are JH Coaches competing with GNE via Nexus?

They are being paid to provide a service which Nexus have deemed socially necessary through a tendered bidding process. JH Coaches may have registered the lowest price for that contract, but I suspect they were bidding against a range of operators, not just GNE. As we've seen with other operators in the region recently, the lowest bid isn't always the most sustainable bid, which is why the contract sometimes put back out to tender. Now I'm not suggesting that this is the case with JH Coaches, but I guess we'll soon find out whether their bid was too low if the service is re-tendered and they don't win it.

They’re exploiting gaps in the market in Washington. Just like Stagecoach with the 939.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(28 Jul 2022, 5:43 pm)Dan They’re exploiting gaps in the market in Washington. Just like Stagecoach with the 939.

And GCT with the TB22/TB23. Competing with GNE around the busy passenger corridor of Wrekenton Row and Eighton Banks.

RE: JH Coaches of Birtley - Unber43 - 28 Jul 2022

I have seen the 82/82A several times today and from what I have seen it has been quite busy

(28 Jul 2022, 5:41 pm)MurdnunoC How are JH Coaches competing with GNE via Nexus?

Competing in the sense it exists alongside GNE alternatives. To go from Gateshead to QE Hospital, Wrekenton and Washington, GNE services exist or passengers can instead use the, apparently cheaper, 82. Options are competition, even if they cost more, someone might prefer them. GNE are probably a better option than JH Coaches, but a return is apparently cheaper and the Nexus day ticket might be valid for travel, I'm not sure, therefore it's competing in a sense.

(28 Jul 2022, 6:21 pm)OrangeArrow49 Competing in the sense it exists alongside GNE alternatives. To go from Gateshead to QE Hospital, Wrekenton and Washington, GNE services exist or passengers can instead use the, apparently cheaper, 82. Options are competition, even if they cost more, someone might prefer them. GNE are probably a better option than JH Coaches, but a return is apparently cheaper and the Nexus day ticket might be valid for travel, I'm not sure, therefore it's competing in a sense.

So, let's say the service comes up for tender again, and GNE win the contract. Are GNE competing with GNE, via Nexus? The fares structure for that contract is stipulated by Nexus, I believe, so will GNE be a better option than GNE in that scenario?

RE: JH Coaches of Birtley - Aaron21 - 28 Jul 2022

(28 Jul 2022, 6:31 pm)MurdnunoC So, let's say the service comes up for tender again, and GNE win the contract. Are GNE competing with GNE, via Nexus? The fares structure for that contract is stipulated by Nexus, I believe, so will GNE be a better option than GNE in that scenario?
That's gne on half there own network. Withdrawn a service cause that other service is doing well. Ie 55 & X1

(25 Jul 2022, 6:46 pm)Jimmi The offerings on the 82 today were E200's:
LK58CPY: https://flic.kr/p/2nAkNEc
LK09EOD: https://flic.kr/p/2nAgPT4

LK09EOD however was later replaced by StreetLite MX61BBU: https://flic.kr/p/2nAogKY

82A had E200 LX13CZG: https://flic.kr/p/2nAkNRj

Meanwhile the 30/31 was allocated StreetLite MX60BXD: https://flic.kr/p/2nAkNG1

Would it be okay for me to include your photos in my future videos? No problem if not, just sharing can improve on what's possible a lot easier than doing everything ourselves! Keeping up with regular uploads and constantly making new content is hard work!

RE: JH Coaches of Birtley - Andreos1 - 28 Jul 2022

(28 Jul 2022, 5:43 pm)Dan They’re exploiting gaps in the market in Washington. Just like Stagecoach with the 939.

Plugging gaps surely?

RE: JH Coaches of Birtley - Rob44 - 31 Jul 2022

(28 Jul 2022, 6:31 pm)MurdnunoC So, let's say the service comes up for tender again, and GNE win the contract. Are GNE competing with GNE, via Nexus? The fares structure for that contract is stipulated by Nexus, I believe, so will GNE be a better option than GNE in that scenario?

Is this the case though? I read on intenet the 2.50 is the max fare on a secured service but its still 3.40 to town on the 29?  Or id this cause DCC are subbing it?

JH Coaches of Birtley - Dan - 31 Jul 2022

(31 Jul 2022, 6:53 am)Rob44 Is this the case though? I read on intenet the 2.50 is the max fare on a secured service but its still 3.40 to town on the 29?  Or id this cause DCC are subbing it?

Yes, the 28/29 are Durham County Council contracts and they adopted GNE’s fares.

Nexus minimum cost contracts have fares set by them.

JH Coaches of Birtley - Dan - 31 Jul 2022

(31 Jul 2022, 6:53 am)Rob44 Is this the case though? I read on intenet the 2.50 is the max fare on a secured service but its still 3.40 to town on the 29?  Or id this cause DCC are subbing it?

Yes, the 28/29 are Durham County Council contracts and they adopted GNE’s fares.

RE: JH Coaches of Birtley - Rob44 - 31 Jul 2022

(31 Jul 2022, 7:01 am)Dan Yes, the 28/29 are Durham County Council contracts and they adopted GNE’s fares.

Cheers x2!