North East Buses
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=6)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015 - Adrian - 01 Jan 2015

(31 Dec 2014, 5:45 pm)tyresmoke They probably just want turning down. All of our drivers know how to do it at Stockton, but we are 'forbidden' from touching them. If they're too high they'll get turned down though!

Seems sensible that they don't want everyone fiddling with them. If there's an inconsistency across the fleet, they'll end up with complaints they're too loud and complaints they're too quiet. 

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Dan - 01 Jan 2015

(01 Jan 2015, 11:54 am)aureolin Seems sensible that they don't want everyone fiddling with them. If there's an inconsistency across the fleet, they'll end up with complaints they're too loud and complaints they're too quiet. 

Yup, that's the reason why it's the same at Go North East.

No drivers are allowed to alter the volume of the Next Stop Announcements - only selected people at each depot.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - tyresmoke - 01 Jan 2015

(01 Jan 2015, 11:54 am)aureolin Seems sensible that they don't want everyone fiddling with them. If there's an inconsistency across the fleet, they'll end up with complaints they're too loud and complaints they're too quiet. 

That and there is auditors that go around undercover to check on these things, so if they're too quiet they will get found out. They are too loud when installed though, practically shouting. Passengers did complain.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - citaro5284 - 01 Jan 2015

(01 Jan 2015, 1:10 pm)tyresmoke That and there is auditors that go around undercover to check on these things, so if they're too quiet they will get found out. They are too loud when installed though, practically shouting. Passengers did complain.

Auditors - do you mean mystery shoppers?

(01 Jan 2015, 1:39 pm)citaro5284 Auditors - do you mean mystery shoppers?

We do have mystery shoppers but we also have the Sapphire implementation team (people from various divisions) who travel around checking - they were in the North East a few weeks ago.... wonder what they thought of Ashington's offering??

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Tommy1581 - 01 Jan 2015

(01 Jan 2015, 2:16 pm)tyresmoke We do have mystery shoppers but we also have the Sapphire implementation team (people from various divisions) who travel around checking - they were in the North East a few weeks ago.... wonder what they thought of Ashington's offering??

Brilliant Tongue

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - mb134 - 01 Jan 2015

(01 Jan 2015, 2:16 pm)tyresmoke We do have mystery shoppers but we also have the Sapphire implementation team (people from various divisions) who travel around checking - they were in the North East a few weeks ago.... wonder what they thought of Ashington's offering??
Probably got on one of the 57-reg ones in the morning arriving at their destination frozen and very late Wink

Or got on a MAX E400, as the Sapphire one that should've been on was broken, and breathed a sigh of relief they didn't have to travel on said 57 reg Sapphire one Tongue

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - citaro5284 - 01 Jan 2015

And with this in mind, what powers do these people have to put things right or is it just a case of a jolly around the UK to look at buses?

If there is an implementation team which is part of Arriva UK and not local management, how come we have different standards across the Sapphire brand - things like different colour destination displays.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - RM2186 - 01 Jan 2015

(01 Jan 2015, 2:31 pm)citaro5284 And with this in mind, what powers do these people have to put things right or is it just a case of a jolly around the UK to look at buses?

Must admit, my first thought was that there must be a more effective and vastly cheaper way of doing this!  :s

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Adrian - 01 Jan 2015

(01 Jan 2015, 2:31 pm)citaro5284 And with this in mind, what powers do these people have to put things right or is it just a case of a jolly around the UK to look at buses?

If there is an implementation team which is part of Arriva UK and not local management, how come we have different standards across the Sapphire brand - things like different colour destination displays.

Or more importantly - seating configuration/passenger comfort. 

[Image: 15020697502_c2959924a6.jpg]
CX14BXV - Interior Shot. by Iveco 59-12, on Flickr

[Image: 14701688319_e899e0cf0d.jpg]
Arriva North East: 7523 / NK14 GFO by mdw9121, on Flickr

The seating in the new E400s for example, are no different to what GNE have in the TTX B9s, apart from the they're eleather rather than fabric? Does eleather provide any additional comfort, or is it simply easier to maintain? It'd take me about 5 minutes per fabric seat to properly foam clean it, whereas I could wipe clean an eleather seat in a couple of seconds?

More positively though, I am a fan of the interior colour scheme and branding both inside and out. I found the next stop announcements good too, as whenever I've used a Sapphire route, I've not actually known where I am. I found the volume excessive on the Pulsars on the 7, but it seemed alright on the E400s I had on my trip up to Ashington. 

I do think that next stop screens should be provided as standard, but perhaps could be a bit more helpful. It'd be good if Arriva (and GNE actually) displayed ticket boundaries. So if I was on the 7, it'd show me the boundary point for the Durham District ticket, for example. It'd be a bit easier for GNE to do this, with perhaps a Buzzfare banner along the top or bottom of the screen.

(01 Jan 2015, 3:06 pm)aureolin Or more importantly - seating configuration/passenger comfort. 

Just as a suggestion, could it be that the X21/22 require the additional capacity these smaller seats give at peak times? Virtually every bus I see leaving Newcastle/ going into Newcastle at peak times are packed?

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Adrian - 01 Jan 2015

(01 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm)mb134 Just as a suggestion, could it be that the X21/22 require the additional capacity these smaller seats give at peak times? Virtually every bus I see leaving Newcastle/ going into Newcastle at peak times are packed?

You'd argue it shouldn't be 'Sapphire' if that's the case. A brand is a standard, and you'd expect the Sapphire standard in every branded vehicle you enter. If they required the extra seats, they could have used the 'MAX' standard they've created for the North East & Yorkshire, whilst still providing the eleather seats and WiFi. No next stop screens mind.

(01 Jan 2015, 3:12 pm)aureolin You'd argue it shouldn't be 'Sapphire' if that's the case. A brand is a standard, and you'd expect the Sapphire standard in every branded vehicle you enter. If they required the extra seats, they could have used the 'MAX' standard they've created for the North East & Yorkshire, whilst still providing the eleather seats and WiFi. No next stop screens mind.
Aye, this is even worse if I'm honest:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelmeyerstein/9158952811/

No way should this be the case, as even if those seats did have high backs it would take no extra space!!

Additionally, Stagecoach use these seats with their "Gold" E400's, better than the ones in the NE Sapphire E400's, with what would probably be the same amount of them:

[Image: 14998079076_51c233b07c.jpg]YN14OWO - Interior Shot. by Iveco 59-12, on Flickr

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Dan - 01 Jan 2015

(01 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm)mb134 Just as a suggestion, could it be that the X21/22 require the additional capacity these smaller seats give at peak times? Virtually every bus I see leaving Newcastle/ going into Newcastle at peak times are packed?

You can still get seats which are of a better quality than ours in the North East, allowing for the same capacity:

[Image: 11600981073_b8fc908d7a.jpg]Inside the luxurious 990 by Stuart Montgomery's Lothian Buses, on Flickr

Not sure if that style of seat is available on ADL products, but it's very comfy indeed.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Kuyoyo - 01 Jan 2015

(01 Jan 2015, 3:06 pm)aureolin Or more importantly - seating configuration/passenger comfort. 

The seating in the new E400s for example, are no different to what GNE have in the TTX B9s, apart from the they're eleather rather than fabric? Does eleather provide any additional comfort, or is it simply easier to maintain? It'd take me about 5 minutes per fabric seat to properly foam clean it, whereas I could wipe clean an eleather seat in a couple of seconds?

More positively though, I am a fan of the interior colour scheme and branding both inside and out. I found the next stop announcements good too, as whenever I've used a Sapphire route, I've not actually known where I am. I found the volume excessive on the Pulsars on the 7, but it seemed alright on the E400s I had on my trip up to Ashington. 

I do think that next stop screens should be provided as standard, but perhaps could be a bit more helpful. It'd be good if Arriva (and GNE actually) displayed ticket boundaries. So if I was on the 7, it'd show me the boundary point for the Durham District ticket, for example. It'd be a bit easier for GNE to do this, with perhaps a Buzzfare banner along the top or bottom of the screen.

The 2+1 seating upstairs seems to be a Wales-exclusive thing as only their 2 'Sapphire' services (Wrexham's 1 and Rhyl's 12) have the 2+1 seating. Which is why the Rhyl examples seat just 63 (32 upstairs and 31 down) compared to the 76 7522-28 can carry (47/29).

As for e-leather vs fabric - yes, one reason operators such as Arriva and First seem to be moving towards e-leather is the ease of which you can clean e-leather.

More Wales management prefer 2+1 seating upstairs while other areas would rather have 2+2 seating for maximum carrying capacity.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Tommy1581 - 01 Jan 2015

To be honest I find the newly refurbished buses with standard fabric seating more comfy than new e leather seating...

The Leicester one with the Civic V2's was one of the 4 "trial" routes to see what worked. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that one gain newer vehicles than cascaded London B7TL's.

(01 Jan 2015, 3:57 pm)tyresmoke The Leicester one with the Civic V2's was one of the 4 "trial" routes to see what worked. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that one gain newer vehicles than cascaded London B7TL's.

Leicester's route used B7TLs from their own fleet (One of them 4005 before and after refurbishment)

First photo @ John
Second photo @ Ben's Transport Photos

(01 Jan 2015, 3:57 pm)tyresmoke The Leicester one with the Civic V2's was one of the 4 "trial" routes to see what worked. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that one gain newer vehicles than cascaded London B7TL's.
I don't fully understand what they've done with them though, as if they were trialling those seats, they would have them upstairs and down not a mixture? It looks as though they've got what the North East's Sapphire buses have on their downstairs and those V2's upstairs? 

(01 Jan 2015, 4:05 pm)mb134 I don't fully understand what they've done with them though, as if they were trialling those seats, they would have them upstairs and down not a mixture? It looks as though they've got what the North East's Sapphire buses have on their downstairs and those V2's upstairs? 

The Leicester B7TLs have standard Civic V2 seats on both deck. These are the same as those fitted to the standard vehicles here in the north east (the Pulsars and un-refurbished Geminis). The Welsh E400s have the same seats as the North East examples on the lower deck but have the EGA Relax Classic seating on the upper deck.