North East Buses
General TV thread - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: General TV thread (/showthread.php?tid=630)

RE: General TV thread - Michael - 27 May 2015

(27 May 2015, 2:22 pm)Robert Yeah. That dog act and Old Men Grooving got through. Yet another dance act through to the final...

On another note, Never Mind The Buzzcocks is to end after 18 years, the BBC will not be making a 29th series: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32889471

Is that the dog act with the fake mouth thing?... fucking hell if it is

I'm gutted about Never Mind The Buzzcocks =(

RE: General TV thread - MurdnunoC - 27 May 2015

I finished watching the first season of Arrow last night and, overall, I thought it was pretty good.

As with all new shows, the first couple of episodes were fast-paced, setting the narrative and introducing the main characters. The show started to slow-down towards the middle with most episodes having their own self-contained storylines. The season-long story arc became more prominent as the show progressed - something which I enjoy as I like episodic cliffhangers - ending in an explosive finale.

I'm in the process of obtaining season two now, can't wait to watch it.

(27 May 2015, 2:24 pm)MurdnunoC I finished watching the first season of Arrow last night and, overall, I thought it was pretty good.

As with all new shows, the first couple of episodes were fast-paced, setting the narrative and introducing the main characters. The show started to slow-down towards the middle with most episodes having their own self-contained storylines. The season-long story arc became more prominent as the show progressed - something which I enjoy as I like episodic cliffhangers - ending in an explosive finale.

I'm in the process of obtaining season two now, can't wait to watch it.

I watched the first 2 series of it then i missed half of the episodes, my dad and brother watch it, i did enjoy it when i watched it, might watch it again

I'm about to finish watching prison break again, only 2 episodes left =D

Then i'm going to watch "Better call Saul" - the Breaking Bad spin off. 

RE: General TV thread - Jimmi - 27 May 2015

(27 May 2015, 2:22 pm)Robert On another note, Never Mind The Buzzcocks is to end after 18 years, the BBC will not be making a 29th series: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32889471

Yeah it is quite sad to see it go although the last few series' weren't great.

It used to be a great show even when Simon Amstell hosted it, it's another show I often used to watch the repeats multiple times on Dave but I haven't seen it on there in ages and when it is on its one of the more recent series.

Don't think I ever saw it when Mark Lamarr hosted it unfortunately.

(27 May 2015, 2:22 pm)Robert On another note, Never Mind The Buzzcocks is to end after 18 years, the BBC will not be making a 29th series: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32889471

(27 May 2015, 2:24 pm)Michael I'm gutted about Never Mind The Buzzcocks =(

While I never made any particular effort to watch Never Mind the Buzzcocks, I was always entertained on the occasions whenever I managed to catch it. 

Simon Amstell was probably my favourite host and, judging by what is said in the article posted by Robert, it seems he was everybody else's. However, despite his popularity, I don't think the show would have been sustainable if he had continued to host the show. If people were being booked to be humiliated, as Phil Jupitus suggests, then decent guests would have been hard to arrange. If I recall, Austell alluded to this several times on the show but then again - who knows. While the quality of guests might have declined I reckon there would be still many z-list celebrities willing to appear. But at what point does it stop becoming a music-orientated show to one that that denigrates reality television stars and the like?

RE: General TV thread - S813 FVK - 27 May 2015

(27 May 2015, 2:24 pm)Michael Is that the dog act with the fake mouth thing?... fucking hell if it is

I'm gutted about Never Mind The Buzzcocks =(

Nah. That act was terrible. It was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkOrDDr_s88 I much preferred the audition to the performance last night but the audition was the only one i could find on Youtube after doing a quick search.

As for Buzzcocks, I only started watching it regularly from about Series 26 when they still had the guest hosts and then obviously Rhod Gilbert in series 28. Obviously some hosts were better than others but just out of interest, a couple of years ago i decided to search on youtube for various episodes to see how well the show was presented in the past. 

First off, i thought it was best to watch a Lamarr episode considering he was the first and original host of the show but i made a point of watching one of the episodes from Series 1 back in 1996 (and luckily i managed to find Episode 1!) and as normal, the atmosphere just wasn't there. I then skipped to his last series (series 17) and his style had improved but not by much. Overall, Mark Lamarr was an alright host although his presenting style wasn't to my taste. Obviously other people would have different views.

I decided to skip series 18 as that was all guest hosts while they looked for a permanent replacement for Lamarr. I started at series 19 episode 1 for Simon Amstell and straight away concluded that he was a fantastic host and if he hadn't left at the end of series 22, the show would still be going today since he really lightened the show up.

The guest hosts for the next 5 series (23/4/5/6/7) varied from decent to the not so decent. I liked series 26 episode one since that was Cathy Burke and think she is absolutely hilarious when she has the right material (significant people to take the mic out of) - she presented Have I Got News For You and i thought exactly the same.

I don't think Rhod Gilbert quite had it for series 28 and although i'd hate to say this, if the BBC had picked a better person, the ratings would have shot up and again, the program may have been going for another and many more series'. 

Overall, after watching various episodes from the 3 regular hosts, Simon Amstell was deffinately the best out of the 3. Don't really think the guest hosts idea suited the program as well as sister show Have I Got News For You and was certainly a factor of the shows ratings going down.

(27 May 2015, 2:32 pm)Michael I watched the first 2 series of it then i missed half of the episodes, my dad and brother watch it, i did enjoy it when i watched it, might watch it again

I'm about to finish watching prison break again, only 2 episodes left =D

Then i'm going to watch "Better call Saul" - the Breaking Bad spin off. 

I've watched all of Better Call Saul. I thought it was alright however it is not as action-packed as Breaking Bad. It's quite slow-paced and different to Breaking Bad. If you're expecting something similar then you might be disappointed. 

(27 May 2015, 2:35 pm)Jimmi Yeah it is quite sad to see it go although the last few series' weren't great.

It used to be a great show even when Simon Amstell hosted it, it's another show I often used to watch the repeats multiple times on Dave but I haven't seen it on there in ages and when it is on its one of the more recent series.

Don't think I ever saw it when Mark Lamarr hosted it unfortunately.

As i summed up in my post above, i don't think that Lamarr was a great host. Here is the first episode of the show with Lamarr hosting (as he did for 17 series): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5YGRTD1pvI

You may think otherwise.

(27 May 2015, 2:43 pm)MurdnunoC I've watched all of Better Call Saul. I thought it was alright however it is not as action-packed as Breaking Bad. It's quite slow-paced and different to Breaking Bad. If you're expecting something similar then you might be disappointed. 

I wasn't expecting it to be as good, i mean Breaking Bad is one of the best programmes iv'e watched.

Can't beat Game of Thrones though............. Tongue 

RE: General TV thread - Jimmi - 27 May 2015

(27 May 2015, 2:44 pm)Robert As i summed up in my post above, i don't think that Lamarr was a great host. Here is the first episode of the show with Lamarr hosting (as he did for 17 series): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5YGRTD1pvI

You may think otherwise.
Not seen a Lamarr episode so I may watch it tonight and report back here with my verdict.

Guest hosts were hit and miss I found, some were good, others weren't and I think the worst ones were usually the A-list bookings.

Never saw Rhod Gilbert hosting it either so I should probably look for some episodes from the series he presented.

(27 May 2015, 2:46 pm)Michael I wasn't expecting it to be as good, i mean Breaking Bad is one of the best programmes iv'e watched.

Can't beat Game of Thrones though............. Tongue 

I can't get away with Game of Thrones like. 

(27 May 2015, 2:58 pm)MurdnunoC I can't get away with Game of Thrones like. 

=0, u need to leave the forum and never come back... Tongue 

Season 3 episode 9... best episode ever!

(27 May 2015, 3:00 pm)Michael =0, u need to leave the forum and never come back... Tongue 

Season 3 episode 9... best episode ever!

Then you probably won't like it when I say I thought Breaking Bad was vastly overrated.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but some were going on like it was the best television show ever. Critics often rate The Wire as the best television ever produced. Now I'm not saying whether it was or it wasn't, but in my opinion Breaking Bad pales in comparison to The Wire.

(27 May 2015, 3:08 pm)MurdnunoC Then you probably won't like it when I say I thought Breaking Bad was vastly overrated.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but some were going on like it was the best television show ever. Critics often rate The Wire as the best television ever produced. Now I'm not saying whether it was or it wasn't, but in my opinion Breaking Bad pales in comparison to The Wire.

Haven't seen The Wire yet, its on my list of things to watch.

(27 May 2015, 3:10 pm)Michael Haven't seen The Wire yet, its on my list of things to watch.

How I envy you. 

On another note, people keep saying that I need to watch True Detective. Has anyone seen it? Any good?

I don't watch stuff like Game Of Thrones etc. The sort of stuff i like watching are things such as The Jeremy Kyle Show (mainly to see how chavy the people are), Judge Judy and Judge Rinder (for the putdowns) and anything else which i classify as 'decent TV'.

(27 May 2015, 3:13 pm)MurdnunoC How I envy you. 

On another note, people keep saying that I need to watch True Detective. Has anyone seen it? Any good?

Haven't seen that either haha

Do you like the Walking Dead?

(27 May 2015, 3:15 pm)Michael Haven't seen that either haha

Do you like the Walking Dead?

I haven't watched The Walking Dead. 

It's good, Season 5 has just ended however season 2 and 3 are really slow....

The spin off show, Fear the Walking Dead, which is gonna be based on after the zombie apocalypse started (i think) is due to air in Summer.

RE: General TV thread - Dan - 27 May 2015

Anyone watching BGT tonight? Surprised I've retained interest for so long...

I'm not sure who I'd like to win tonight - the dancing group was excellent again and I thought that the all male vocal group was quite good too. I found the magic man absolutely phenomenal in his audition, so I hope he ups his game.