North East Buses
General TV thread - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: General TV thread (/showthread.php?tid=630)

RE: General TV thread - Tom - 31 May 2015

(31 May 2015, 8:47 pm)Dan Old Men Grooving beat Isaac and Calum? Shambles!

Mind you they were good, and would be brilliant in a variety show, but Isaac especially was a lot better than them!

I'm hoping Matisse or Jamie Raven win. 

RE: General TV thread - northern156 - 31 May 2015

I was, am and always will be against normal singers being on the show, regardless of age. People old enough who sing should go on the X Factor imo. I'll never think differently about that.
Similar with dance acts but I absolutely loved Old Men Grooving.

Between Jules and Mattise or Jamie Raven for me...

RE: General TV thread - S813 FVK - 31 May 2015

I agree with the winner. Although i loved Jamies performance, it wasn't enough completely withdraw the cockups from his semi-final performance.

RE: General TV thread - Jimmi - 01 Jun 2015

(01 Jun 2015, 2:48 pm)Adam Thank goodness Britain's Got Talent's finished. I refuse to watch that blinking show. The same goes for all reality TV programmes, except I'm a Celebrity. I ended up at the pub with my Dad and my cousin last night.

The main reason why I don't watch it is because they have no morals at all. I know it's the case with the X Factor, so I suspect it's the same with BGT, but there is a pre-audition stage before people reach the celebrity judges in the televised auditions. What annoys me about this is that whoever deals with the pre-auditions quite clearly send through rubbish acts who have a snowball's chance in hell of winning, or even making it past the audition stage, to make an absolute mockery of themselves infront of the public, and even worse, on television, leading many people to laugh at them for being rubbish. Now, where is the morals in that? There isn't any!

Also, they send through some people who aren't fully there in the head, shall we say, building their hopes up only to be let down and made an absolute mockery of themselves infront of the judges and audience. Again, where are the morals? It's just not right in the slightest! Fair enough, if we take Susan Boyle for example, everyone thought she was a little deluded, but she's done fantastically well out of the show as she is one of few actually good acts that have come out of the show. Now that, I don't mind at all, but as for the rest of it, it basically insults people's intelligence!

On the X Factor as well, if you listen very carefully, you can tell whether people are going to get through or not, as they have some form of computerised voice enhancement feature, or something like that, so more or less rigs and fiddles the whole competition.

So, how long is it until the X Factor starts? I can temporarily stay in the living room on a Saturday night for now.
Yeah I have to agree with points in this post. A lass who was on my course at college auditioned for BGT and she used a sob story about how she had her kid took off her and she had a hard life etc. Apparently she got past the first stage where you get judged by randoms and got onto the stage where you get judged by the main judges and in front of the audience and she sung and from videos people have shown me she can't sing like at all she sounds like a fog horn. I don't believe they actually showed her on TV which is a shame as the way she went on about not getting through and saying that she was mint got on all our nerves so I wanted to laugh at how bad she was.

My other reasons for hating BGT and X Factor is some musicians work incredibly hard for year to get people to notice there musical talent and now we get people who sing once to some judges then end up on TV with millions of viewers for 10 weeks and get there moment of fame after doing little work whatsoever, it sickens me.

Also I saw the first hour of BGT last night and I thought it was a pile of garbage.

X Factor usually starts around July I think.

RE: General TV thread - Tom - 01 Jun 2015

I thought BGT was good this year, but the X Factor is a load of rubbish.

RE: General TV thread - MurdnunoC - 01 Jun 2015

(01 Jun 2015, 2:48 pm)Adam Thank goodness Britain's Got Talent's finished. I refuse to watch that blinking show. The same goes for all reality TV programmes, except I'm a Celebrity. I ended up at the pub with my Dad and my cousin last night.

The main reason why I don't watch it is because they have no morals at all. I know it's the case with the X Factor, so I suspect it's the same with BGT, but there is a pre-audition stage before people reach the celebrity judges in the televised auditions. What annoys me about this is that whoever deals with the pre-auditions quite clearly send through rubbish acts who have a snowball's chance in hell of winning, or even making it past the audition stage, to make an absolute mockery of themselves infront of the public, and even worse, on television, leading many people to laugh at them for being rubbish. Now, where is the morals in that? There isn't any!

Also, they send through some people who aren't fully there in the head, shall we say, building their hopes up only to be let down and made an absolute mockery of themselves infront of the judges and audience. Again, where are the morals? It's just not right in the slightest! Fair enough, if we take Susan Boyle for example, everyone thought she was a little deluded, but she's done fantastically well out of the show as she is one of few actually good acts that have come out of the show. Now that, I don't mind at all, but as for the rest of it, it basically insults people's intelligence!

On the X Factor as well, if you listen very carefully, you can tell whether people are going to get through or not, as they have some form of computerised voice enhancement feature, or something like that, so more or less rigs and fiddles the whole competition.

So, how long is it until the X Factor starts? I can temporarily stay in the living room on a Saturday night for now.

Same goes for Jeremy Kyle. 

If that entertains you, fine. I'm entertained by programmes which others may dislike. But one must also question the morality of any television show which attracts viewers by humiliating those often less fortunate or less educated than ourselves. 

RE: General TV thread - Andreos1 - 01 Jun 2015

Like you, I can't stand any of those shows.
Apart from them making Cowell even richer and a few quid in the back pocket of his hangers on - it isn't entertaining to see people humiliated.

There was a fella on Radio Newcastle this morning - his surname was Wylie, so may be related to the fella behind Sage (can't remember his first name).
He has done bits and bobs around the region for a while now and has been auditioned for BGT on 4 occasions.
His classical style didn't get any further than those auditions - but one occasion, a dancing pig (some sackless dancing animal of some type), did get through.

Appreciate he has no divine right, but to be talented enough to receive paid bookings and to graduate from some drama school or another...

(01 Jun 2015, 6:24 pm)MurdnunoC Same goes for Jeremy Kyle. 

If that entertains you, fine. I'm entertained by programmes which others may dislike. But one must also question the morality of any television show which attracts viewers by humiliating those often less fortunate or less educated than ourselves. 

I can't bare the Jezza Kyle show as it is another programme where they try and make more drama than there actually is, saw a story a while back about them not being happy that one of the people participating in the programme was not dressed as scruffy and chavy as they wanted him to be so apparently they wanted him to wear a tracksuit on the show.

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to watch people arguing about who the father of a child is, if someone has cheated or if someone has stolen something from their family etc. with them shouting and screaming at each other in tracksuits, these people's lives have nothing to do with me so I really don't care and some of the drama on this show is put on.

I hate all daytime TV.

Is anyone watching Ch4?

Trains: Are you paying too much?

(01 Jun 2015, 6:43 pm)Jimmi I can't bare the Jezza Kyle show as it is another programme where they try and make more drama than there actually is, saw a story a while back about them not being happy that one of the people participating in the programme was not dressed as scruffy and chavy as they wanted him to be so apparently they wanted him to wear a tracksuit on the show.

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to watch people arguing about who the father of a child is, if someone has cheated or if someone has stolen something from their family etc. with them shouting and screaming at each other in tracksuits, these people's lives have nothing to do with me so I really don't care and some of the drama on this show is put on.

I hate all daytime TV.

Not all daytime TV.

One guilty pleasure of mine are antiques programmes such as Cash in the Attic, Dickenson's Real Deal and Bargain Hunt to name but a few. I quite fancy myself as a bit of an antiques expert at times even though I know nothing about antiques. 

(01 Jun 2015, 7:02 pm)Andreos1 Is anyone watching Ch4?

Trains: Are you paying too much?

No. Yes. 

(01 Jun 2015, 7:10 pm)MurdnunoC Not all daytime TV.

One guilty pleasure of mine are antiques programmes such as Cash in the Attic, Dickenson's Real Deal and Bargain Hunt to name but a few. I quite fancy myself as a bit of an antiques expert at times even though I know nothing about antiques. 
Not interested in antiques programmes myself, nothing against them, just not something I am interested in.

I think the reason I hate daytime TV is because I don't really feel like I fit into the daytime TV viewer demographic which I think is mainly: housewives, retired people and people who have no interest in getting a job at all. Some examples being ITV's daytime schedule: Jezza Kyle - unemployed chavs, This Morning - retired and housewives, Loose Women - mainly housewives I think, Dickinson's Real Deals - retired. Nothing really for me on daytime TV although most of the stuff I want to watch is not able to be broadcasted on daytime TV due to adult content.

I do like a quiz show though it has to be said even though I am not that good at them, although I can't get away with Tipping Point, people talk about it like you need total skills but other than answering questions correctly that show from what I can see is a game of chance, just like the 2p machines you'd get on Redcar or Blackpool seafronts.

Also don't complain about me mentioning the term "housewives" I know in these days it may not be totally correct to suggest women are confined to the house and I think it's wrong for people to suggest that women should be but from broadcasters point of view they probably still see much of the daytime TV viewers are women.

RE: General TV thread - S813 FVK - 01 Jun 2015

(01 Jun 2015, 7:27 pm)Jimmi I do like a quiz show though it has to be said even though I am not that good at them, although I can't get away with Tipping Point, people talk about it like you need total skills but other than answering questions correctly that show from what I can see is a game of chance, just like the 2p machines you'd get on Redcar or Blackpool seafronts.

I agree, The Chase is much more up my street!

(01 Jun 2015, 7:28 pm)Robert I agree, The Chase is much more up my street!
Yeah I'd say The Chase is probably my favourite. I do like Pointless although not as much as I used to, probably because I was rubbish at getting answers on it, only normally came up with Pointless answers for music questions.

(01 Jun 2015, 7:27 pm)Jimmi I do like a quiz show though it has to be said even though I am not that good at them, although I can't get away with Tipping Point, people talk about it like you need total skills but other than answering questions correctly that show from what I can see is a game of chance, just like the 2p machines you'd get on Redcar or Blackpool seafronts.

I like Tipping Point particularly because I like those 2p machines. The prize structure is a bit crap though. I don't like the idea of game shows where you score all these points, which are then converted into cash, and come away with nothing if you lose. Something has been lost over the years. For example, if you came last on Bullseye, you still went away with a tankard, a set of darts, perhaps £100 in cash, and a chance to gamble for the star prize if the other two teams turned the opportunity down. 

RE: General TV thread - Michael - 01 Jun 2015

Pointless is my fav.

(01 Jun 2015, 7:34 pm)MurdnunoC I like Tipping Point particularly because I like those 2p machines. The prize structure is a bit crap though. I don't like the idea of game shows where you score all these points, which are then converted into cash, and come away with nothing if you lose. Something has been lost over the years. For example, if you came last on Bullseye, you still went away with a tankard, a set of darts, perhaps £100 in cash, and a chance to gamble for the star prize if the other two teams turned the opportunity down. 

You can't beat a bit of bully!

Another thing I miss on game shows these days - prizes, I think on most quiz shows these days you are playing for money whereas on Bullseye you were playing for prizes such as garden furniture, video cassette recorders and the special prize usually being something like a caravan or a speedboat. That's the most amusing thing about watching Bullseye repeats is seeing the extremely outdated prizes

On Pointless if you get to the final round you get a trophy whether you win the money or not.

Also I do quite enjoy 2p machines.

(01 Jun 2015, 7:41 pm)Michael Pointless is my fav.

(01 Jun 2015, 7:41 pm)Jimmi You can't beat a bit of bully!

Another thing I miss on game shows these days - prizes, I think on most quiz shows these days you are playing for money whereas on Bullseye you were playing for prizes such as garden furniture, video cassette recorders and the special prize usually being something like a caravan or a speedboat. That's the most amusing thing about watching Bullseye repeats is seeing the extremely outdated prizes

On Pointless if you get to the final round you get a trophy whether you win the money or not.

Also I do quite enjoy 2p machines.

I must admit I'm partial to watching a bit of Pointless now and then. 

The star prize was always decent on Bullseye. I often wonder how many people still have their Speedboats from the show. It always seemed to be someone from landlocked area of Yorkshire or Lancashire who won them. I wonder how many arguments came about from the allocation of the star prize itself. I can't imagine that many people wanting to share a Mini Metro. 

Incidentally, on the subject of television game shows, I had the opportunity to go and watch the show 'Chain Letters' being filmed at Tyne Tees when I was doing Media Studies at college in the 90s.

I know Adam has applied to be on Question Time in a couple of weeks time but has anyone else been part of a live studio audience?

edit: I think it might have been Crosswits and not Chain Letters I went to watch getting filmed.

(01 Jun 2015, 7:56 pm)MurdnunoC Incidentally, on the subject of television game shows, I had the opportunity to go and watch the show 'Chain Letters' being filmed at Tyne Tees when I was doing Media Studies at college in the 90s.

I know Adam has applied to be on Question Time in a couple of weeks time but has anyone else been part of a live studio audience?

Ch, ch, Chainnnn letters!

No.

(01 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm)Andreos1 Ch, ch, Chainnnn letters!

No.

The experience was quite tedious to be honest. 

It was definitely Crosswits and not Chain Letters I went to watch being filmed. I remember the host was called something O'Connor. I thought it might have been Des O'Connor but, after a quick check on Wikipedia, it turns out the host's name was Tom O'Connor. He's obviously someone who made a great impression on me - I can't remember who he was or what he looks like and, to top it off, got both his identity and the name of the show he hosted mixed up with someone and something else.