North East Buses
General TV thread - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: General TV thread (/showthread.php?tid=630)

RE: General TV thread - MurdnunoC - 13 Jun 2015

(12 Jun 2015, 9:33 am)Andreos1 I am uncertain as to what it will be like...

The studio has gone, Evans isn't as ginger and it isn't the 90's anymore!

Will be watching it like.

For me, it filled an hour between getting home from college and going out on a Friday night back in the 90s. I enjoyed some bits, disliked others and was indifferent to the rest of the filling in-between. I don't recall being overly disappointed when it kicked off the air first time round, in fact, I don't even remember it being kicked off the air to be honest. Without specifically looking it up I couldn't tell you when either.

When I watched the show last night I drew the exact same conclusions. Some it was good, some of it not so good, while other bits were just 'meh'. They showed many highlights from its initial run - I remembered very few. I guess, much like what people claim about the 60s, if you are able to remember loads of stuff from an early evening light-entertainment show during the 90s then you really weren't there.  Wink

I thought Roger Daltrey completely upstaged Liam Gallagher during their duet performance of 'My Generation' - perhaps not surprisingly - but, in my opinion, Liam's performance was particularly woeful as he first, tried to do the track in his usual style (which didn't work) then attempted to mimic Daltrey himself. Really Bad. Blur's performance was nothing to write home about too but there was, at least, a reason for that. I enjoyed Beatbox Collective and Rudimental. The other band featuring that Justin Timberlake sounding Eminem lookalike as lead vocalist really bored and irrated me.

Most of the segments were passable but none really stood out. I vaguely remembered some features but there were others which struck no chord with me. Like Jimmi, I also found the Lewis Hamilton interview rather boring. I enjoyed the rapid interview feature though.

On another note, I'm really looking forward to This Is England '90. Can't wait.

RE: General TV thread - Andreos1 - 13 Jun 2015

(12 Jun 2015, 8:03 pm)aureolin Looks pretty similar to me! It feels mad to be watching it again actually.

They rebuilt the studio, in another building.
Quite expensive for a one off... It looked like Grimmy was being primed for the job.

(12 Jun 2015, 11:16 pm)Jimmi Did anyone actually watch TFI Friday earlier?

Thought it was okay but nothing special for about the first half of the show but it got boring towards the end especially when Lewis Hamilton came on and they started talking about his meetings and what colour his doors where for about the last 45 minutes, yawn!

(13 Jun 2015, 7:02 am)MurdnunoC For me, it filled an hour between getting home from college and going out on a Friday night back in the 90s. I enjoyed some bits, disliked others and was indifferent to the rest of the filling in-between. I don't recall being overly disappointed when it kicked off the air first time round, in fact, I don't even remember it being kicked off the air to be honest. Without specifically looking it up I couldn't tell you when either.

When I watched the show last night I drew the exact same conclusions. Some it was good, some of it not so good, while other bits were just 'meh'. They showed many highlights from its initial run - I remembered very few. I guess, much like what people claim about the 60s, if you are able to remember loads of stuff from an early evening light-entertainment show during the 90s then you really weren't there.  Wink

I thought Roger Daltrey completely upstaged Liam Gallagher during their duet performance of 'My Generation' - perhaps not surprisingly - but, in my opinion, Liam's performance was particularly woeful as he first, tried to do the track in his usual style (which didn't work) then attempted to mimic Daltrey himself. Really Bad. Blur's performance was nothing to write home about too but there was, at least, a reason for that. I enjoyed Beatbox Collective and Rudimental. The other band featuring that Justin Timberlake sounding Eminem lookalike as lead vocalist really bored and irrated me.

Most of the segments were passable but none really stood out. I vaguely remembered some features but there were others which struck no chord with me. Like Jimmi, I also found the Lewis Hamilton interview rather boring. I enjoyed the rapid interview feature though.

On another note, I'm really looking forward to This Is England '90. Can't wait.

Thought Blur were atrocious, until it was revealed that Allbran had a bad throat.
Daltrey looked like DLT!

I also think they tried squeezing too much in and at times, fell on its face. Even though it ran over.

RE: General TV thread - Michael - 13 Jun 2015

I don't remember the original series of TFI Friday but enjoyed last nights..

Lots of hints from Chris Evans doing Top Gear!

RE: General TV thread - Adrian - 13 Jun 2015

I was really impressed by TFI Friday, and I think it showed that there's still an appetite for it.

RE: General TV thread - Jimmi - 13 Jun 2015

(13 Jun 2015, 6:35 pm)aureolin I was really impressed by TFI Friday, and I think it showed that there's still an appetite for it.
I think it would be alright if it came back as a regular show providing they don't get Lewis Hamilton or anybody else who is interested in cars as from what I saw online after the programme last night many people found when Lewis Hamilton appeared it was considered to be boring from the reaction I saw online and I have to agree.

RE: General TV thread - Andreos1 - 13 Jun 2015

(13 Jun 2015, 6:33 pm)Adam Anyone watching the documentary currently on Channel 4 about Sir Henry Cecil and Frankel? It's highly interesting.

Just watched it on +1. It was very interesting.

Just about to watch this 90's thing on Ch4.

RE: General TV thread - Michael - 13 Jun 2015

Watching the 90's thing to.... was born in 1991

(13 Jun 2015, 7:02 am)MurdnunoC On another note, I'm really looking forward to This Is England '90. Can't wait.  

I've not seen much about it. Had a quick Google and it looks to be a mini-series on the 90s rave scene? Should be good crack if that's the case. 

(13 Jun 2015, 6:39 pm)Jimmi I think it would be alright if it came back as a regular show providing they don't get Lewis Hamilton or anybody else who is interested in cars as from what I saw online after the programme last night many people found when Lewis Hamilton appeared it was considered to be boring from the reaction I saw online and I have to agree.

The thing about TFI was that it was something a bit different every week, but just as crazy. Used to get some really good bands on it too. Have a search on Youtube for the first episode in the first series... Ocean Colour Scene and an interview with Kathy Lloyd.

RE: General TV thread - MurdnunoC - 13 Jun 2015

(13 Jun 2015, 9:12 pm)aureolin I've not seen much about it. Had a quick Google and it looks to be a mini-series on the 90s rave scene? Should be good crack if that's the case. 

Have you seen This is England; This is England '86 or This is England '88?

If not, they're really good.

(13 Jun 2015, 10:12 pm)MurdnunoC Have you seen This is England; This is England '86 or This is England '88?

If not, they're really good.

I haven't, nope! I think it's on Netflix though, so I'll give it a watch.

RE: General TV thread - LeeCalder - 13 Jun 2015

Can anyone remember the series called 'Come Fly With Me' which was basically a mockumentary made by David Walliams and Matt Lucas. I heard someone mention it earlier and I just remembered how good it was!

RE: General TV thread - Davie - 13 Jun 2015

(13 Jun 2015, 10:15 pm)LeeCalder Can anyone remember the series called 'Come Fly With Me' which was basically a mockumentary made by David Walliams and Matt Lucas. I heard someone mention it earlier and I just remembered how good it was!

I used to love that as a kid.. mainly because of the planes on it though

RE: General TV thread - LeeCalder - 13 Jun 2015

(13 Jun 2015, 10:17 pm)Davie I used to love that as a kid.. mainly because of the planes on it though

Your thinking of the actual documentary called 'Come Fly With Me', this Come Fly With Me was basically mocking the other and it was hilarious.

RE: General TV thread - Dan - 14 Jun 2015

(13 Jun 2015, 10:19 pm)LeeCalder Your thinking of the actual documentary called 'Come Fly With Me', this Come Fly With Me was basically mocking the other and it was hilarious.

Thoroughly enjoyed that series.

Casting my memory back a few years now, but I think my favourite character was someone called "Precious"?

RE: General TV thread - Michael - 15 Jun 2015

The Crystal Maze: Richard O’Brien confirmed to return as more details revealed about show's rebooted format

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/the-crystal-maze-richard-obrien-confirmed-to-return-as-more-details-revealed-about-shows-rebooted-format-10318675.html

Although it's back its totally different.

RE: General TV thread - Michael - 15 Jun 2015

Youtube are streaming E3:

It's currently Microsofts turn - https://www.youtube.com/e3?feature=int-yo-e3-gb

Sony's is on Tuesday at 2am in the UK...

(Times is on the side)

RE: General TV thread - Andreos1 - 16 Jun 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33132895

Even more of a reason to not bother watching it.

RE: General TV thread - Jimmi - 16 Jun 2015

(16 Jun 2015, 11:37 am)Andreos1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33132895

Even more of a reason to not bother watching it.
Grimy is bloody everywhere, he has taken over the radio and TV, next will be the Internet then THE WORLD!

Apparently Caroline Flack and Olly Murs are presenting the show this year.

RE: General TV thread - S813 FVK - 16 Jun 2015

(16 Jun 2015, 12:40 pm)Jimmi Grimy is bloody everywhere, he has taken over the radio and TV, next will be the Internet then THE WORLD!

They are. I dont know if you have seen the advert getting people to audition on ITV. They do it. Shame Louis is gone although he wasnt as good without Sharon.

RE: General TV thread - Andreos1 - 16 Jun 2015

(16 Jun 2015, 12:40 pm)Jimmi Grimy is bloody everywhere, he has taken over the radio and TV, next will be the Internet then THE WORLD!

*even bigger urrgh*
Flack will provide a bit eye candy I suppose.