North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 30 May 2016

(30 May 2016, 6:25 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com Well the x7 certainly isnt a express from Peterlee to boro

(30 May 2016, 6:30 pm)Jimmi These days the 'X' prefix seems to represent a 'limited stop' service in most cases which the X7 certainly is, obviously it's not as fast as the X9/X10 from Peterlee to Middlesbrough but it certainly gets from say Wingate to Middlesbrough a lot faster than the 21A does.

As Jimmi points out, there are sections of the X7 route which are direct with a limited stop (or express if you will) service between points. It was, although with the introduction of the X21 I don't know if it still is, the fastest available service between Sunderland and Peterlee; and after Wingate and Station Town, the service rejoins the A19 to offer a quicker service from that area down to Stockton and Middlesbrough. 

As I stated in my reply to your suggestions, services with the prefix 'X' implied that the service was an express 'once upon a time'. Back in the days of yonder, when more people used bus services than today, variations existed on services operating between Point 'A' and Point 'B'. To provide an example, there were once two regular services which operated between Newcastle and Hartlepool: the 231 - which operated via Chester-le-Street, Houghton and Peterlee; and the X5 which operated via Washington, Houghton and Peterlee. Between Houghton and Peterlee, they both followed similar routes, however one was an express service which mainly stopped at timing points (with a few added stops here and there) while the other stopped at just about every bus stop on route. The stopping service took just shy of two hours from point-to-point while the express service took just shy of 90 minutes.

I understand the meaning of the prefix 'X' has become somewhat diluted over the years and, on some services, it might be argued that the prefix is irrelevant. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about the justification or rationale about why you want to renumber certain services with a prefix which may suggest that the service is quicker than the service offered presently. 

With all this in mind, I'll ask the question once again: Do you intend the X42 or X65 to be express services or not? If not, why not just renumber them 42A and 65 if you strongly believe these services require renumbering?

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Jimmi - 30 May 2016

(30 May 2016, 7:33 pm)MurdnunoC As Jimmi points out, there are sections of the X7 route which are direct with a limited stop (or express if you will) service between points. It was, although with the introduction of the X21 I don't know if it still is, the fastest available service between Sunderland and Peterlee; and after Wingate and Station Town, the service rejoins the A19 to offer a quicker service from that area down to Stockton and Middlesbrough.

The X21 is the fastest service between Peterlee Bus Station and Sunderland Park Lane Interchange.

The X7 is still faster than the 202 between Peterlee and Seaham, the 60/238 between Seaham and Sunderland and also the 21/21A between Peterlee and Wingate.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - biglugs@yahoo.com - 30 May 2016

(30 May 2016, 7:33 pm)MurdnunoC As Jimmi points out, there are sections of the X7 route which are direct with a limited stop (or express if you will) service between points. It was, although with the introduction of the X21 I don't know if it still is, the fastest available service between Sunderland and Peterlee; and after Wingate and Station Town, the service rejoins the A19 to offer a quicker service from that area down to Stockton and Middlesbrough. 

As I stated in my reply to your suggestions, services with the prefix 'X' implied that the service was an express 'once upon a time'. Back in the days of yonder, when more people used bus services than today, variations existed on services operating between Point 'A' and Point 'B'. To provide an example, there were once two regular services which operated between Newcastle and Hartlepool: the 231 - which operated via Chester-le-Street, Houghton and Peterlee; and the X5 which operated via Washington, Houghton and Peterlee. Between Houghton and Peterlee, they both followed similar routes, however one was an express service which mainly stopped at timing points (with a few added stops here and there) while the other stopped at just about every bus stop on route. The stopping service took just shy of two hours from point-to-point while the express service took just shy of 90 minutes.

I understand the meaning of the prefix 'X' has become somewhat diluted over the years and, on some services, it might be argued that the prefix is irrelevant. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about the justification or rationale about why you want to renumber certain services with a prefix which may suggest that the service is quicker than the service offered presently. 

With all this in mind, I'll ask the question once again: Do you intend the X42 or X65 to be express services or not? If not, why not just renumber them 42A and 65 if you strongly believe these services require renumbering?
Any number would do its joining the brand with the other service and how much the services run together

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 30 May 2016

(30 May 2016, 8:30 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com Any number would do its joining the brand with the other service and how much the services run together

So basically, you could have just stated that you'd like the 38 group of services to be branded and explained you were renumbering the 238 to 38A in order to fit the brand. 

There's no need to overcomplicate things.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Washingtonian - 30 May 2016

(30 May 2016, 2:27 pm)Adrian I've not made a suggestion for ages, but here's a simple one for me:

Decide which route the 82/82A/82B is going to do on a Sunday, and stick with it for the whole day. Whilst I get that they may 'improve reliability' by omitting Sainsbury's car park and the retail park at the Galleries through the day, I can't understand why they'd then go to serve it again towards 7pm? I'd perhaps understand if it were the other way around, but it makes no sense to serve a supermarket and retail park that has closed 3 hours earlier.

Before the suggestion is made that it's to do with Frankie's & Benny's or KFC. The footfall for both is pitiful to what a supermarket or the retail park would attract, and it's very rare that anyone is picked up in the car park on an evening.

Some good points made there mate. I think the 82/82A/82B are a total mess and complicated. I also think all the local Washington services need to be improved and replanned if need be as only parts of the routes get good loadings while the other half carries fresh air half the time. The original routes W1/W2/W3 seemed to work much better and had better loadings, even on evenings and were often very reliable.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Jamie M - 30 May 2016

Although my recent suggestions have been time fillers and reaction provoking, here is a more general tip.
This isn't to add any new crazy unneeded service that nobody will ever need. It's simply to reorganise how the whole Stanley depot works. I've sat on a solo or an mpd so many times on a peak X70/X71/X31 in the hour of 4-5, that is absolutely packed. I feel having an MPD as a float is ridiculous for a double decker allocation. Even a streetlite would be better than sending a solo/mpd out on the peak Stanley return services along A692, even if it is the wrong allocation. Even the spare omnicity could be used - I feel brand or "correct allocation" is too strongly kept in Stanley, where demand is far more important, and is becomes a detriment when you have 10 people standing the whole journey on 6/X30/X31/X70/X71 because there isn't a decent enough sized bus spare. This is becoming more of a usual issue.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Adrian - 30 May 2016

(30 May 2016, 9:34 pm)Washingtonian Some good points made there mate. I think the 82/82A/82B are a total mess and complicated. I also think all the local Washington services need to be improved and replanned if need be as only parts of the routes get good loadings while the other half carries fresh air half the time. The original routes W1/W2/W3 seemed to work much better and had better loadings, even on evenings and were often very reliable.

Ultimately the 82/82A/82B/83/M2/M3/whateveritisthisweek have been chopped and changed too much and too often. Without checking, I couldn't tell you which one done which nowadays, or which route they take. 

I do think the route planners do a lot of good work, but chops and changes like this really do not benefit the customer in the slightest.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Ambassador - 30 May 2016

(27 May 2016, 10:21 pm)BusLoverMum I uess your 22 is replacing the 1 which has run through Wreker-Low Fell like forever (at least since the mid 90s, when it started at Kibby)

It's basically reintroducing the 24. The 1, or Cross Tyne has run through Low Fell in some form since the days of Low Fell Coaches

I've thought for ages to relieve the pressure on the Angel that a Newcastle - Gateshead - Low Fell - Harlow Green Bridge and back might be an idea.

Alternatively, with the new pointless park and ride at Eighton Lodge you could run it to the roundabout and back

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - BusLoverMum - 31 May 2016

(31 May 2016, 7:24 pm)park5354 557 moves to Peterlee for service 168, with solo from service 68 used on ASDA freebus.

Doesn't Arriva have the 168 any more?

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - S813 FVK - 31 May 2016

(31 May 2016, 7:32 pm)BusLoverMum Doesn't Arriva have the 168 any more?

Go North East will be taking over the service (see Tender Discussion Thread for more info)

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Michael - 31 May 2016

(31 May 2016, 7:32 pm)BusLoverMum Doesn't Arriva have the 168 any more?

Latest contracts from NEXUS show that GNE will take it over from the 24th July 2016.

Service 168 (East Rainton - Hetton-le-Hole - Hetton Downs - Easington Lane)
Contract Period: 24/07/2016 to 20/05/2017
Awarded to Go North East

More on the latest tenders can be found here: http://www.northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=848&pid=168913#pid168913

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - BusLoverMum - 31 May 2016

(31 May 2016, 7:34 pm)S813 FVK Go North East will be taking over the service (see Tender Discussion Thread for more info)

Ah - haven't been to that thread for a few days.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - biglugs@yahoo.com - 31 May 2016

170. Heworth - follingsby park - wardley - boldon Asda - downhill - town end farm - ferryboat lane - casletown.
This service could operate once every hour allowing 2 buses per hour heworth to boldon operated by Go north east.
This service will be operated by "see it do it" citaros running of the 36 at casletown.
This service will also allow the 35 to go hourly between Sunderland and boldon and half hourly low moorsley to sunderland.
An extra peak run can also be operated during the most busiest times.
X37. Doxford international - A19 - A184 - heworth Interchange - felling metro - Gateshead interchange.
This service will be limited stop one journey each way.
This service could use a corporate red decker running on and of scholars.
This service will also stop at felling and Gateshead stadium metro to provide extra transport if the metro is of.
26. Newcastle - Gateshead - felling - heworth - A184 - boldon Asda - fellgate - jarrow.
This service will operate once every hour allowing service x36 to be replaced between Newcastle and boldon. Also gives people of fellgate a bus to newcastle.
X56 Replacing service x36.
Sunderland - southwick - witherwack - downhill - Town end farm - nissan - Sulgrave - concord - non stop to Gateshead interchange - newcastle.
This service can operate every 30 minutes.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - callum2015 - 31 May 2016

1 Whitley Bay - North Shields - Percy Main - Wallsend - Newcastle - Gateshead - Team Valley - Q.E.H - Heworth
Continues to run Every 15 Mins,Extended to Heworth Via Team Valley to Part-replace loop 93/4 Services

1A Wallsend - Newcastle - Gateshead - Gateshead College - Heworth - Wardley
New Service,runs Via Service 1 Route to Gateshead,Via 93/4 to Heworth then Onto Wardley to replace 57

57 Newcastle - Gateshead - Beacon Lough Estate - Wrekenton - Harlow Green - Low Fell
Runs Via Current service until Staneway,Then Direct Along Springwell Rd into Wrekenton,then Via Current Coaster route Into Low Fell,Running Every Half Hour

- Better Links around Gateshead Into Newcastle (like when they merged Orbit & Quayside together)
- Frequency increased between Wallsend & Gateshead to Every 7/8 Mins
- Faster More Direct,More Frequent Buses from Wardley into Gateshead & Newcastle

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - NK53 TKT - 01 Jun 2016

(31 May 2016, 7:35 pm)Michael Latest contracts from NEXUS show that GNE will take it over from the 24th July 2016.

Service 168 (East Rainton - Hetton-le-Hole - Hetton Downs - Easington Lane)
Contract Period: 24/07/2016 to 20/05/2017
Awarded to Go North East

More on the latest tenders can be found here: http://www.northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=848&pid=168913#pid168913

I assume 626 will run that from Deptford then...

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Michael - 01 Jun 2016

(01 Jun 2016, 10:10 am)NK53 TKT I assume 626 will run that from Deptford then...

No idea, where does the 626 run to and from?

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - S813 FVK - 01 Jun 2016

(01 Jun 2016, 10:16 am)Michael No idea, where does the 626 run to and from?

626 as in the Nexus SR, I think

I think it will depend on the Euro requirements - if Arriva run an MPD on there at present, maybe an MPD will be good enough for Go North East.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Dan - 01 Jun 2016

(01 Jun 2016, 10:27 am)S813 FVK 626 as in the Nexus SR, I think

I think it will depend on the Euro requirements - if Arriva run an MPD on there at present, maybe an MPD will be good enough for Go North East.

Contractual requirements available here. Service 168 is Euro 4 with a maximum vehicle length of 8.5m.

The Nexus Solos are 8.9m, ruling out this allocation, so I think it'll be an MPD allocated.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Michael - 01 Jun 2016

(01 Jun 2016, 10:27 am)S813 FVK 626 as in the Nexus SR, I think

lmao, i thought he meant a service, my bad for not reading it right!

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - South Tyne Lad - 01 Jun 2016

(01 Jun 2016, 10:28 am)Dan Contractual requirements available here. Service 168 is Euro 4 with a maximum vehicle length of 8.5m.

The Nexus Solos are 8.9m, ruling out this allocation, so I think it'll be an MPD allocated.

MPDs are 8.7M, So would breach the contract rules too.