North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

RE: Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 03 Mar 2013

The problem with Low Fell is the road layout and traffic light system.

When the Western Bypass was finished off in the mid-80's, Gateshead Council made the concious decision to set out the road system in such a way that it would encourage drivers to miss the town out. Paint was thrown about with wild abondon, bridges demolished and pedestrian crossings introduced.
However, because the Western Bypass was so badly designed, traffic still continued to flow through Low Fell. The amount of traffic coupled with the design of the road system just creates problems and no matter how many bus lanes and bollards are introduced along the dualed part of Durham Road between the Angel and Jolly Miller, buses are still going to hit a bottle neck once they hit the traffic light hell that is Low Fell.

RE: Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 14 Apr 2013

Some suggestions I have regards servicesbin Murton...

My idea would be change the 61 by introducing a 61A, keep the 15 minute weekday frequency out of Park Lane, but have 2 61s which goes on the present clockwise route round Murton and 2 61A going anti-clockwise round Murton

It would be 61: from Murton: Woods Terrace, Williams Road, Cenotaph, Station Road, Station Estate North, Wellfield Road, Barnes Road, Webb Avenue, Burnip Road, Mann Crescent, Truro Avenue, Bude Square with 61A going in Reverse to that on it's circular run round the Village.

I also think GNE made a big booboo pulling Seaham and Durham bound services from Cornwall Estate, what i would suggest there is not necessarily re-introducing the Durham service, but maybe ammending the 202 in both directions to serve Cornwall Estate.

My other ideas are as Captain Mainwaring used to say to Corporal Jones on Dads Army "delving into the realms of fantasy"

I would love to one day see Newcastle services back to Murton, possibly extend 1 bus bus per hour on the X1 to Dalton Park

Also, extend the X7 and X9 or X10 into Dalton Park to give a half hourly service to Middlesbrough and Newcastle respectively, Dalton Park is extremely popular and is heaving at times, surely a joint initiative between Dalton Park and a bus company could only be a good thing to encourage passengers from Teesside and Tyneside to come in and shop there...

Just a thought

RE: Service Suggestions - Michael - 14 Apr 2013

My route for the 73 - Park lane - Fawcett Street - St Mary's way - Queen Alexandra Bridge,Sunderland Enterprise Park east end, Hylton Riverside Retail Park,Sunderland Ent Pk, Defender Ct, Castletown,Sunrise Enterprise Park, Waterview Park,Teal Farm estate,Washington District 15 Exit,Peel Retail Park, Sulgrave,Washington Concord Bus Station,Coach Road Estate - Washington Galleries

I know i posted it earlier in the thread but im bringing all my idea's as 1 post.
---------------------------------------------

My post for my idea of the 73.. seems my email worked to nexus worked as from June its going to the galleries =)

Post is on Page 3 and was posted on... 12-25-2012 @ 05:33

RE: Service Suggestions - Dan - 14 Apr 2013

It definitely seems as though Go North East are listening to these suggestions. I suggested that the X9/X10 were diverted to serve Sunderland because Sunderland would benefit from a direct service to Peterlee and Middlesbrough, rather than the current non-direct services we previously had, and they went one step better... The X7!

RE: Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 14 Apr 2013

(14 Apr 2013, 10:28 am)Michael My route for the 73 - Park lane - Fawcett Street - St Mary's way - Queen Alexandra Bridge,Sunderland Enterprise Park east end, Hylton Riverside Retail Park,Sunderland Ent Pk, Defender Ct, Castletown,Sunrise Enterprise Park, Waterview Park,Teal Farm estate,Washington District 15 Exit,Peel Retail Park, Sulgrave,Washington Concord Bus Station,Coach Road Estate - Washington Galleries

I know i posted it earlier in the thread but im bringing all my idea's as 1 post.

My post for my idea of the 73.. seems my email worked to nexus worked as from June its going to the galleries =)

What is going on with the 73, that service has changed operators more times than a tramps underpants lately

RE: Service Suggestions - Dan - 14 Apr 2013

(14 Apr 2013, 10:30 am)fozzovmurton
(14 Apr 2013, 10:28 am)Michael My route for the 73 - Park lane - Fawcett Street - St Mary's way - Queen Alexandra Bridge,Sunderland Enterprise Park east end, Hylton Riverside Retail Park,Sunderland Ent Pk, Defender Ct, Castletown,Sunrise Enterprise Park, Waterview Park,Teal Farm estate,Washington District 15 Exit,Peel Retail Park, Sulgrave,Washington Concord Bus Station,Coach Road Estate - Washington Galleries

What is going on with the 73, that service has changed operators more times than a tramps underpants lately

One board is being operated by Compass Community Transport and the other, by Go North East (or rather, that's what I'm led to believe by VOSA registrations)!

Compass Community Transport are only going to run the service to Concord, but Go North East are extending their service to The Galleries. This could mean that an additional board will be required (as opposed to the current 2) but I'm not sure. Could be proved or disproved by looking at current timings and such, I guess.

RE: Service Suggestions - Michael - 14 Apr 2013

Changed to half hourly maybe with 1 a hour to galleries with GNE running it and current route with compass?

RE: Service Suggestions - Adrian - 14 May 2013

I've always thought the Washington Street Shuttle has loads of potential, but the current services just don't work. The Metrolink M2/M3 suffer because it's quicker to jump off at the Galleries or Concord, and get the M1 across to Heworth, and the W5/W6 don't really serve anyone.

I think some sort of circular could work well in Washington - similar to the 51/52 in Gateshead. I've drew something up on Google Maps in the form of a route. (Ignore the fact it's 'Bicycle Directions' - it's just to get round the bus links in the route) : here

RE: Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 15 May 2013

There used to be circular services throughout Washington.

The 192/193/198/199 was once such example, operating on a combined ten minute frequency from Heworth Metro to Barmston (192/193 went via the Bus-Link; 198/199 went via Waskerley Road), Washington Village, The Galleries, Oxclose, Ayton, Emerson DHSS, Rickleton, Lambton, Galleries, Concord, and Donwell.

I believe these services were replaced, in part, by the 291 and 292 sometime after de-regulation in 1986.

I'm sure the W2/W3 and W5/W6 used to circular services at one point too.

Given the layout, Washington is perfect circular services. It does make you wonder why they ceased.

RE: Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 15 May 2013

Here is my Spin on how I think the Bus Services in Washington should be.

M1 Houghton-le-Spring - Fence Houses - Shiney Row - Fatfield - Glebe - Washington Galleries - Concord - Usworth - Heworth – Every 20 Minutes

M1A Houghton-le-Spring - Shiney Row - Fatfield – Harraton – Rickleton – Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Concord - Usworth - Heworth – Every 20 Minutes

X1 Easington Lane - Hetton-le-Hole - Houghton-le-Spring - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle – Every 20 Minutes

X1A Easington Lane - Hetton-le-Hole - Houghton-le-Spring – Fence Houses - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle – Every 20 Minutes

X1B Picktree Village – Washington Hospital – Rickleton – Harraton – Glebe - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead – Newcastle – Peak Times Only

M2 Birtley - Portobello - Ayton - Oxclose - Blackfell – Concord – Sulgrave – Barmston Loop – Brady Square - Glebe - Washington Galleries - Biddick – Harraton – Rickleton – Barley Mow – Birtley – Every 20 Minutes

M2A Birtley - Portobello - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Biddick - Barmston - Concord - Sulgrave – Heworth – Every 1 Hour

M3 Birtley - Barley Mow - Rickleton - Harraton – Biddick – Washington Galleries – Glebe – Washington Village Barmston Court – Barmston Loop – Sulgrave – Concord – Blackfell – Oxclose – Ayton – Portobello – Birtley - Every 20 Minutes

X4 – Birtley – Chester le Street – Washington Galleries – Heworth – Every 30 Minutes

New Links provided by M1A Between Lambton and Houghton le Spring and also providing a quicker more direct service to Heworth.

New Links provided by X1A Between Fence Houses and Easington Lane/Newcastle

New Links on the M2/M3 to Many Areas of Washington that were previously not served by these Services.

The M2A maintains an Hourly Link across the M2 service between Birtley and Heworth

New Service X4 Delievers a Fast Xpress Service between Birtley and Heworth and also re-establishes the old Link between Chester le Street and Heworth.

RE: Service Suggestions - Tom - 15 May 2013

(15 May 2013, 2:33 pm)Adam Malarkey Here is my Spin on how I think the Bus Services in Washington should be.

M1 Houghton-le-Spring - Fence Houses - Shiney Row - Fatfield - Glebe - Washington Galleries - Concord - Usworth - Heworth – Every 20 Minutes

M1A Houghton-le-Spring - Shiney Row - Fatfield – Harraton – Rickleton – Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Concord - Usworth - Heworth – Every 20 Minutes

X1 Easington Lane - Hetton-le-Hole - Houghton-le-Spring - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle – Every 20 Minutes

X1A Easington Lane - Hetton-le-Hole - Houghton-le-Spring – Fence Houses - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle – Every 20 Minutes

X1B Picktree Village – Washington Hospital – Rickleton – Harraton – Glebe - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead – Newcastle – Peak Times Only

M2 Birtley - Portobello - Ayton - Oxclose - Blackfell – Concord – Sulgrave – Barmston Loop – Brady Square - Glebe - Washington Galleries - Biddick – Harraton – Rickleton – Barley Mow – Birtley – Every 20 Minutes

M2A Birtley - Portobello - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Biddick - Barmston - Concord - Sulgrave – Heworth – Every 1 Hour

M3 Birtley - Barley Mow - Rickleton - Harraton – Biddick – Washington Galleries – Glebe – Washington Village Barmston Court – Barmston Loop – Sulgrave – Concord – Blackfell – Oxclose – Ayton – Portobello – Birtley - Every 20 Minutes

X4 – Birtley – Chester le Street – Washington Galleries – Heworth – Every 30 Minutes

New Links provided by M1A Between Lambton and Houghton le Spring and also providing a quicker more direct service to Heworth.

New Links provided by X1A Between Fence Houses and Easington Lane/Newcastle

New Links on the M2/M3 to Many Areas of Washington that were previously not served by these Services.

The M2A maintains an Hourly Link across the M2 service between Birtley and Heworth

New Service X4 Delievers a Fast Xpress Service between Birtley and Heworth and also re-establishes the old Link between Chester le Street and Heworth.

I like your suggestions Adam! - I think rather than having the X1/X1A the way you said, the X1 could continue it's same route every 15 minutes, and X1A every 30 mins to Seaham (Newcastle-Gateshead-then express to Washington, Fence Houses, Houghton, Hetton, Dalton Park and Seaham). This would provide additional links!
Also, not sure about the X4, won't be used enough in my opinion!
Overall, well done though! - I love your thinking!

I like your suggestions Adam! - I think rather than having the X1/X1A the way you said, the X1 could continue it's same route every 15 minutes, and X1A every 30 mins to Seaham (Newcastle-Gateshead-then express to Washington, Fence Houses, Houghton, Hetton, Dalton Park and Seaham). This would provide additional links!
Also, not sure about the X4, won't be used enough in my opinion!
Overall, well done though! - I love your thinking!
[/quote]

Thanks, I spent about an Hour in a bit looking through the Timetables and then putting it all together to provide the best solution around it, The Current M2/M3/W5/W6 was the Nightmare Part to try and get to work correctly. Obviously in the form I've put it in the Service loses the Connection to Heworth. So by putting in the X4 that connexion is then maintained, I think a quicker service would be welcomed also.

In it's current form I think the M2/M3 take just over an Hour to do Birtley to Heworth, whereas my new X4 would take Half that.

I'm not sure about the Seaham Link as we've had it in the past with the X90/X94 in the Early 2000's and also the old X4 which ran in 2009 I believe when the Service ran via Concord and Heworth, and was Withdrawn due to Low Passenger Numbers.

But I think in my head when working it all out and if it was to Interwork, it work very well. I'll try and come up with some other regarding the M2/M3/W5/W6 over the next few days.

RE: Service Suggestions - Tom - 15 May 2013

Yeah! - It would be a benefit having the X4!

Service Suggestion - cbma06 - 15 May 2013

Service suggestion involving OK1,X7.

Short Journey on the OK1 Bishop Auckland to Darlington, to be renumbered OK2 route: Bishop Auckland-Darlington-Direct to Newton Aycliffe-then almost same route as Arriva 21 all the way to Wingate then X7 route from Wingate to Sunderland, re connecting passengers to Sunderland from Arriva where there have withdrawn their direct link and opening new connections from Bishop Auckland/Darlington to Sunderland. Divert the X7 between Peterlee and Middlesbrough via Hartlepool, and also to gain passengers off Arriva service 23 between Hartlepool and Sunderland.

RE: Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 15 May 2013

With fast buses connecting the majority of the regions towns and cities, the only additional service I can think of is something coming from Darlington heading North.
There was the 723 and Arriva have a service which follows a similar route, but apart from the train, there isn't any other option.

Heading North out of Darlington, the service could join the A1 (M) (or serve parts of Newton Aycliffe and then join the motorway) and when it reaches Bowburn, follow the route of the X1 into Durham. It can then complement the X21 to Newcastle.

It will fill a massive gap in the GNE provision and increase presence in an area they are obviously keen on exploiting.

Re the Washington idea above, instead of serving Crowther, would it be better diverting via Ayton and Lambton, turning left uptowards Oxclose and picking up the suggested oute from there?

I think that would be a better option Andreos1

Birtley - Portobello - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Oxclose - Blackfell – Concord – Sulgrave – Barmston Loop – Brady Square - Glebe - Biddick – Harraton – Rickleton – Barley Mow – Birtley – Every 20 Minutes

So basically instead of going along the top of Crowther it'll do the Old 638 route between Lambton and Blackfell via Washington Galleries instead of the way I had if before which was.

Birtley - Portobello - Ayton - Oxclose - Blackfell – Concord – Sulgrave – Barmston Loop – Brady Square - Glebe - Washington Galleries - Biddick – Harraton – Rickleton – Barley Mow – Birtley – Every 20 Minutes

RE: Service Suggestions - gtom - 15 May 2013

Liking the ideas, not sure why Birtley needs a fast link to Heworth though? Heworth is nigh on the same distance from Birtley as Birtley-Newcastle. I can see more services through little Washington outposts when the new Morrisons opens in Birtley as alternatives to ASDA/Sainsburys

A few suggestions for me (apologies if I've mentioned these previously)

30 - Chester Le Street - Picktree - Barley Mow (not the Estate) Birtley - Birtley Station Lane - Ouston - Pelton - Pelaw - Chester Le Street (basically the old 734?)

Air1 - Durham Bus Station - Chester Le Street - Birtley - A1 - Newcastle Airport (hourly in the summer)

Revision to 28A route
As current to Kibblesworth then Team Valley Retail Park - Maingate then current route from Bensham

Revision to X22
As current to Birtley then via Lamesley or A1 to Retail World then to Metrocentre at driver discretion route

Air1 - Durham Bus Station - Chester Le Street - Birtley - A1 - Newcastle Airport (hourly in the summer)

Would not be better for it to go from Durham to Durham Tees Valley Airport instead of Newcastle, I've noticed there has been alot of GNE Airport Shuttle talk in recent weeks.

My X4 idea would cut the journey time on the current M2/M3 by over 30 minutes and obviously re-instate the link between Chester le Street and Heworth. I was think of having it going the Gateshead way but opted against it due to the competition of the 21 going in that direction.

RE: Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 15 May 2013

There's nowt flying from Teesside at the mo apart from the odd tourist flight and the Amsterdam shuttles. Even the trains don't stop there anymore

RE: Service Suggestions - gtom - 15 May 2013

Sending it to Teesside would be as useful as sending it to Birtley Train Station

And, anyyway, Newcastle is closer to Durham than DTV is and there'd be a market. Your looking at about £20+ from Birtley to NCL Airport in a cab