North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 6:48 pm)cbma06 Since the 20/20a and X35 just getting normal upgrades like the Loop Brand has, then if Double deckers get purchased for service 35 and 27, then the citarios from the 35/27 could be cascaded onto either Limes, Highwayman or Fab57.

Also since service 39 will not come under the simplicity brand then the versas could go to Washington for service W5/W6 etc... and those cadets could join other cadets at Deptford, so service 39 could become all cadets while service 29 will all be scanias.

The "Lime" is in-line to receive investment this year, as is "Fab Fifty Seven". Vehicles allocated to "The Highwayman" received similar funding to the "Loop", "Prince Bishop" and "Fast Cats", to bump their engines up too if I recall correctly.

Service 39 is still going to be allocated the "SimpliCity" branded Versas as far as I know, with 8319 being repainted purple to complete the PVR of 5 soon.

I have already alluded to where the cascades from "Laser" and "Crusader" will end up - as far as I'm concerned, the little 'engine upgrade' does not change anything. After all, won't the vehicles still be Euro 5? Tongue

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - WestDurhamSwift - 12 Jan 2014

(09 Jan 2014, 8:16 pm)BJ10VUS Think Go North East used to run a 106 through St Peter's and Ouseburn to Newcastle and Walker?

Yeah it went from Church Walk and followed the route of Stagecoach 34 from there towards Central Station after it had been withdrawn, and the 18 re routed along Westbourne Aveune to Wallsend.

I believe Northumbria coaches had it originally.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Acky81 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 6:48 pm)cbma06 Since the 20/20a and X35 just getting normal upgrades like the Loop Brand has, then if Double deckers get purchased for service 35 and 27, then the citarios from the 35/27 could be cascaded onto either Limes, Highwayman or Fab57.

Also since service 39 will not come under the simplicity brand then the versas could go to Washington for service W5/W6 etc... and those cadets could join other cadets at Deptford, so service 39 could become all cadets while service 29 will all be scanias.

39 will keep versa and be branded simplicity

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 16 Jan 2014

GNE Buses Serving Grangetown

29 - Heworth - Wardley - Boldon - Downhill - Town End Farm - Hylton Castle - Castletown - Hylton Riverside - Southwick - Sunderland City Centre - Grangetown - Ryhope - Doxford Park - Moorside - Doxford International
Every 20 Minutes

39 - Pennywell - Chester Road - Royal Hospital - Sunderland Interchange - Grangetown - Ryhope Green - Tunstall Village - Doxford Park - Moorside - Doxford International
Every 20 Minutes

42 - Silksworth - Tunstall Village - Ryhope - Hollycarrside - Grangetown - Sunderland
Every 10 Minutes

60 - Parkside - Dawdon - Seaham - New Seaham - Ryhope - Grangetown - Sunderland
Every 10 Minutes

61 - Murton - Dalton Park - New Seaham - Ryhope - Grangetown – Sunderland
Every 15 Minutes

So with GNE Operating 22 Buses Per Hour through Grangetown, with an Average of a Bus Every upto 2-3 Minutes, would it be worth Diverting say the 60 for example Every 20 Minutes via Sunderland Eye Infirmary to Grangetown and Re-Number it 60A, Now as I often go to the Eye Infirmary for check ups every few months I think this could be a good alternative route for GNE to take along to Grangetown, Not only would it save me 70p on my Bus Fare as i'm forced into using the Stagecoach Service 10 to get there, it would provide me a Direct Link from Sunderland Interchange and Save me a 5 Minute Walk and more thsn likely missing the 10, which is either done a flyer or is simply running over 10 Minutes Late, as it was on Tuesday, Furthermore I often end up Missing the 10 and having to wait 15 Minutes or More when I come out of the Eye Infirmary. I'm not saying the 10 is bad at all, but I do think some Drivers on the Service tend to take excessive 2 Minute breaks at Various Stops here and there after having a 2-3 Minute one in Town, Thus Resulting in the Service running late.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 16 Jan 2014

Have you not tried walking from the Eye Infirmary down to Grangetown or down by the park? Must be a ten minute or less walk each way - I do it all the time as I have friends who live up in the Ashbrooke Range area. Usually get there faster than the 10/11.

Also the 38 on Tunstall Rd as an alternative to walking back over to Ryhope Rd. About a 5 minute walk from the Eye Infirmary.

(16 Jan 2014, 6:13 pm)Dan Have you not tried walking from the Eye Infirmary down to Grangetown or down by the park? Must be a ten minute or less walk each way - I do it all the time as I have friends who live up in the Ashbrooke Range area. Usually get there faster than the 10/11.

Also the 38 on Tunstall Rd as an alternative to walking back over to Ryhope Rd. About a 5 minute walk from the Eye Infirmary.

Nope as I come over to the Eye Infirmary from Washington, and even if I did decide to walk to the Nearest GNE Stop to the Eye Infirmary, I know fine well that a Number 10 would pass me, so therefore walking for me would me pointless, but a Service via The Eye Infirmary from GNE would be Welcomed.

(16 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm)Adam Malarkey Nope as I come over to the Eye Infirmary from Washington, and even if I did decide to walk to the Nearest GNE Stop to the Eye Infirmary, I know fine well that a Number 10 would pass me, so therefore walking for me would me pointless, but a Service via The Eye Infirmary from GNE would be Welcomed.

Your overall journey times should be considered.

Providing you get the timings right, you should be able to catch a 38 and get into town (stop on Belvedere Road, Sunderland) quicker than you would have by waiting for the 10 and then going via Hendon and arriving at Holmeside (where you presumably alight to meet a connection at Park Lane?)

Personally think there's little potential in the buses serving the Eye Infirmary. Stagecoach have it covered.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - CatsFast101 - 16 Jan 2014

(16 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm)Adam Malarkey Nope as I come over to the Eye Infirmary from Washington, and even if I did decide to walk to the Nearest GNE Stop to the Eye Infirmary, I know fine well that a Number 10 would pass me, so therefore walking for me would me pointless, but a Service via The Eye Infirmary from GNE would be Welcomed.

I think a service through the eye infirmary would be good. I'd have a service go the 38 route from Park Lane but then down Alexandra Road and rejoin the route at the mini roundabout at The Alexandria. As for which service, 60/61 are the only option really, maybe the 61?

(16 Jan 2014, 6:37 pm)CatsFast101 I think a service through the eye infirmary would be good. I'd have a service go the 38 route from Park Lane but then down Alexandra Road and rejoin the route at the mini roundabout at The Alexandria. As for which service, 60/61 are the only option really, maybe the 61?

Just thinking out loud here, but what about extending the Sunderland Connect 700 upto the Eye Infirmary, That would then provide a Connection to the Royal Hospital via Sunderland Interchange which would be Ideal for Patients with some form of Eye Injury, as no doubt they'd be Referred over to the Eye Infirmary.

So you could have

700 - Royal Hospital - City Campus - Park Lane Interchange - Eye Infirmary

701 - City Campus - Park Lane Interchange - Stadium of Light - St Peter's Campus

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 16 Jan 2014

(16 Jan 2014, 5:51 pm)Adam Malarkey GNE Buses Serving Grangetown

29 - Heworth - Wardley - Boldon - Downhill - Town End Farm - Hylton Castle - Castletown - Hylton Riverside - Southwick - Sunderland City Centre - Grangetown - Ryhope - Doxford Park - Moorside - Doxford International
Every 20 Minutes

39 - Pennywell - Chester Road - Royal Hospital - Sunderland Interchange - Grangetown - Ryhope Green - Tunstall Village - Doxford Park - Moorside - Doxford International
Every 20 Minutes

42 - Silksworth - Tunstall Village - Ryhope - Hollycarrside - Grangetown - Sunderland
Every 10 Minutes

60 - Parkside - Dawdon - Seaham - New Seaham - Ryhope - Grangetown - Sunderland
Every 10 Minutes

61 - Murton - Dalton Park - New Seaham - Ryhope - Grangetown – Sunderland
Every 15 Minutes

So with GNE Operating 22 Buses Per Hour through Grangetown, with an Average of a Bus Every upto 2-3 Minutes, would it be worth Diverting say the 60 for example Every 20 Minutes via Sunderland Eye Infirmary to Grangetown and Re-Number it 60A, Now as I often go to the Eye Infirmary for check ups every few months I think this could be a good alternative route for GNE to take along to Grangetown, Not only would it save me 70p on my Bus Fare as i'm forced into using the Stagecoach Service 10 to get there, it would provide me a Direct Link from Sunderland Interchange and Save me a 5 Minute Walk and more thsn likely missing the 10, which is either done a flyer or is simply running over 10 Minutes Late, as it was on Tuesday, Furthermore I often end up Missing the 10 and having to wait 15 Minutes or More when I come out of the Eye Infirmary. I'm not saying the 10 is bad at all, but I do think some Drivers on the Service tend to take excessive 2 Minute breaks at Various Stops here and there after having a 2-3 Minute one in Town, Thus Resulting in the Service running late.

Thought you may have suggested a Malarkey Marathon from the Galleries Wink.

Seriously though, with the high frequency along Stockton Road, a variation via the Eye Infirmary may be an idea or something that goes via the three hospitals in Sunderland on a cross-city service, similar to the 99.

Just a quick suggestion off the top of my head:
Whitburn - Seaburn - Fulwell - Monkwearmouth Hospital - City Centre - Trimdon Street - Pallion - Sunderland Royal - Barnes - Sunderland Eye Infirmary - Leechmere - Ryhope Green

Would transport not be provided by the hospital?

The Sunderland Connect is a university bus which is also a borderline 'sightseeing bus'. I don't really think a hospital bus fits into either of those categories.

(16 Jan 2014, 6:52 pm)Dan Would transport not be provided by the hospital?

The Sunderland Connect is a university bus which is also a borderline 'sightseeing bus'. I don't really think a hospital bus fits into either of those categories.

Not that i'm aware of No, If it was it would be for OAP's that have difficulty walking etc.

Hang on if "Sunderland Connect" as Uni Service, then why does it serve The Stadium of Light - The Glass Centre - Royal Hospital and Millfield Aldi, Surely if its a Uni Service it should only Serve City Campus and St Peters Campus much like the Northumbria University Shuttle does.

(16 Jan 2014, 7:04 pm)Adam Malarkey Not that i'm aware of No, If it was it would be for OAP's that have difficulty walking etc.

Hang on if "Sunderland Connect" as Uni Service, then why does it serve The Stadium of Light - The Glass Centre - Royal Hospital and Millfield Aldi, Surely if its a Uni Service it should only Serve City Campus and St Peters Campus much like the Northumbria University Shuttle does.

Primarily, the Sunderland Connect's main market is University students travelling from campus to campus.

There is also a secondary market, and that is for those who are perhaps visiting the area - people who want to go to Sunderland's points of attraction for tourists. I said this before, but in more simple terms...

It serves the Stadium of Light and Glass Centre for those viewing Sunderland's attractions. Why wouldn't the bus serve the Royal Hospital? If the bus is routed that way to get to the Hylton Road terminus, then surely you'd serve stops on the route to maximise your potential reach? Similar story for Aldi, but one could also argue it's for a Metro connection.

(16 Jan 2014, 7:25 pm)Dan Primarily, the Sunderland Connect's main market is University students travelling from campus to campus.

There is also a secondary market, and that is for those who are perhaps visiting the area - people who want to go to Sunderland's points of attraction for tourists. I said this before, but in more simple terms...

It serves the Stadium of Light and Glass Centre for those viewing Sunderland's attractions. Why wouldn't the bus serve the Royal Hospital? If the bus is routed that way to get to the Hylton Road terminus, then surely you'd serve stops on the route to maximise your potential reach? Similar story for Aldi, but one could also argue it's for a Metro connection.

In that case to maximise potential reach would it not be a good idea to extend the Service

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - tyresmoke - 16 Jan 2014

(16 Jan 2014, 7:04 pm)Adam Malarkey Not that i'm aware of No, If it was it would be for OAP's that have difficulty walking etc.

I suppose they could stick them on the Hospital link service that Scarlet Band run? That serves the 2 hospitals albeit only a few times a day.

(16 Jan 2014, 7:48 pm)Adam Malarkey In that case to maximise potential reach would it not be a good idea to extend the Service

Extending the service to the Eye Infirmary would not benefit students or tourists, but it would increase the PVR and mean an extra Solo SR Hybrid would have to be purchased...

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Michael - 16 Jan 2014

(16 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm)Dan Extending the service to the Eye Infirmary would not benefit students or tourists, but it would increase the PVR and mean an extra Solo SR Hybrid would have to be purchased...

I agree it doesn't need extending atm

(16 Jan 2014, 6:37 pm)CatsFast101 I think a service through the eye infirmary would be good. I'd have a service go the 38 route from Park Lane but then down Alexandra Road and rejoin the route at the mini roundabout at The Alexandria. As for which service, 60/61 are the only option really, maybe the 61?

Re-routing it this way rather than via Ashbrooke Range (which I thought Adam was suggesting, so it was similar to Stagecoach's 10/11 service) would be better, but would also increase the journey time by approximately 2 minutes. I can certainly recall from diversions in the past that, unless the drivers drove quite dangerously at excessively high speeds, the journey time was increased.

There is no room in the timetable for this to happen with the 60. However, there is room for it to happen in the 61's 9 minute layover, but I'm not entirely sure if there would be greater demand via Alexandra Road as opposed to Ryhope Road. I can't help but feel if there was demand for a service via the Eye Infirmary and Tunstall Rd to Sunderland from Grangetown, it would have been done. There is a very high number of vehicles per hour which use the Ryhope Rd corridor from Grangetown to Sunderland, and I don't think I've ever been on a bus whereby no passengers have been picked up. That shows demand for a service on Ryhope Road.

I do think it is unnecessarily trodding on Stagecoach's toes (who have established a fairly successful service, operating at a 15 minute frequency) though. Go North East may pick up dribs and drabs of customers, but anyone bound to a GNE service would have the sense to walk 5-10 minutes to the nearest GNE stop. I feel it may just be pensioners who would prefer a direct service to Park Lane if meeting another connection to go home.

Think about it, whichever way you do it - passengers are going to walk at some point: either to the nearest GNE stop at the Eye Infirmary, or to Park Lane if using a Stagecoach service.

(16 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm)Dan Extending the service to the Eye Infirmary would not benefit students or tourists, but it would increase the PVR and mean an extra Solo SR Hybrid would have to be purchased...

It could use 628 which never on the 700

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 17 Jan 2014

(16 Jan 2014, 10:11 pm)Adam Malarkey It could use 628 which never on the 700

So there's no branded spare? This would then mean that as soon as one of them is VOR, a SimpliCity Versa would have to be used on the Sunderland Connect so GNE aren't issued with a fine.
The SimpliCity network does not have a spare vehicle, which means this network is then affected and a 'red spare' has to be brought in. Or in Deptford's case, any vehicle in the depot at the time.

Unnecessary change if you ask me, and it would do more harm than good.