North East Buses
Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions (/showthread.php?tid=784)

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 28 Oct 2014

(28 Oct 2014, 11:33 am)DaveyBowyer Well the exact reason why I ignored Wrightbus for is becuase they don't have a suitable heavyweight double deck option on the market. I must say that I seem very impressed with the Metrodecker and the Merc engine combination. I don't know about the TTX but for other B9TL routes and routes like the Pronto, it would cope OK.

I still don't get why GNE didn't do a like for like comparison on the TEN with a B5TL and compare it with a B9TL.

Because they have no intentions of replacing the Volvo B9TLs on the "TEN" services.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 28 Oct 2014

But it would've gave a much more thorough comparisson between the two vehicle types though.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 28 Oct 2014

(28 Oct 2014, 12:52 pm)DaveyBowyer But it would've gave a much more thorough comparisson between the two vehicle types though.

Why would operators compare between a Volvo B5TL and a Volvo B9TL, when they can no longer buy the latter vehicle? Operators don't trial demonstration vehicles to make a point to the manufacturers.

Re: RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Adrian - 28 Oct 2014

(28 Oct 2014, 12:52 pm)DaveyBowyer But it would've gave a much more thorough comparisson between the two vehicle types though.
It's a bit like a business comparing Windows 8 and Windows 98 for their corporate network. Completely irrelevant, as the latter is end of life.

RE: Go North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 09 Nov 2014

I'd say for this year, it'll be:
- Versas or B5TL's for the Crusader
- Versas or Mercs for X66
- Toonlink will get Mercs or Versas

And you all know what I think will happen next year but, lets just concentrate on this year!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm)DaveyBowyer I'd say for this year, it'll be:

And you all know what I think will happen next year but, lets just concentrate on this year!

The Lime is also getting new buses this year, same as the X66.. i think they'll be either versa or streetlites... not sure about the toonlink or crusader...

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 09 Nov 2014

Moved above two posts to correct thread.

Now that the integral Wright StreetDeck is also available on the market, I wonder if GNE will get a demonstrator to compare it against the Volvo B5TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3?

Whichever routes see investment, I think the company will opt for bulk buy savings and go for one manufacturer only: Wrightbus.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm)DaveyBowyer I'd say for this year, it'll be:

Reckon there is more chance of the Mercs getting a Repaint/Rebrand for the Crusader than there is of getting New Vehicles, take a look at the Blaydon Racers and Silver Arrows Mercs as an Example.

As for the X66/Toonlink i'd go with Versas to maintain Depot Standardisation as Dan likes to call it.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Michael - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 9:20 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Reckon there is more chance of the Mercs getting a Repaint/Rebrand for the Crusader than there is of getting New Vehicles, take a look at the Blaydon Racers and Silver Arrows Mercs as an Example.

As for the X66/Toonlink i'd go with Versas to maintain Depot Standardisation as Dan likes to call it.

Or streetlites, Wink

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 9:20 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Reckon there is more chance of the Mercs getting a Repaint/Rebrand for the Crusader than there is of getting New Vehicles, take a look at the Blaydon Racers and Silver Arrows Mercs as an Example.

At Riverside, Go North East could invest in any of the 'mainstream' single deckers on the present market as they have Mercs, Versas and Streetlites there. If the Micro-Hybrid Streetlite delivers savings, might this be a good idea for GNE to look into?

Do also remember that, unlike Stagecoach, Go North East tends to invest into double deckers where it can be justified. There are a large number of journeys on the Red Arrows which perhaps don't justify the use of double deckers; however, there are quite a few that do. That is justification in the eyes of the company, providing the route in question yields enough profit to cover the extra costs.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - gtom - 09 Nov 2014

(08 Oct 2014, 8:48 pm)Marcus I found it easy to tell on my first ride of a B5 on the 21 (it was that Brighton & Hove demonstrator, could have been a B9 though) that they wouldn't be ideal. Fair enough it's a stop start route, but going backwards and forwards day in day out, pretty much every day of the year, bar a few at Christmas and the odd Sunday, I could just tell they weren't right for the route.....

The EYMS loan example they had was excellent. Can't recall what it was

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Kuyoyo - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 9:36 pm)gtom The EYMS loan example they had was excellent. Can't recall what it was

The one they borrowed from EYMS was a B9TL. The Brighton & Hove example was a B5LH.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 09 Nov 2014

On the nemote of the Red Arrows and I know Service Suggestions would be more appropriate, but this is what GNE should've done for the CC last year with Citylink curtailed in Newcastle:

- 15 Mercs for a 10 min (30 eve Sun) Cobalt Clipper service 309 with X39's being provided every 30 mins from the board.
- 5 Versas for a 20 min (30 eve and Sun) Centurion 310 service.
- 4 Versas for a 20 min (30 eve and Sun) Centurion service 305 between Hadrian Park and Newcastle via Battle Hill then same route as 310 via High Farm. Evening and Sunday journeys via the Coast Road though like the 309.

- That would've formed a 4 - 6 min combined frequency between Battle Hill and Newcastle (10 mins eve and Sun).

*note

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Tom - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 9:25 pm)Dan At Riverside, Go North East could invest in any of the 'mainstream' single deckers on the present market as they have Mercs, Versas and Streetlites there. If the Micro-Hybrid Streetlite delivers savings, might this be a good idea for GNE to look into?

Do also remember that, unlike Stagecoach, Go North East tends to invest into double deckers where it can be justified. There are a large number of journeys on the Red Arrows which perhaps don't justify the use of double deckers; however, there are quite a few that do. That is justification in the eyes of the company, providing the route in question yields enough profit to cover the extra costs.

The Streetlite was quite good on the Lime, so maybe a Micro-Hybrid version could be trailed.

I reckon the following could happen:
5 X Wright Streetlite Max for the X66 > Artics withdrawn.
15 X Wright Streetlite Max for the Lime, two spare > B10BLE's withdrawn.
9 X Wright Streetlite Micro Hybrid to the 82/83 > Cadets withdrawn.
4 X Wright Streetlite Wheel Forward versions to the 85/86 > MPD's withdrawn.
16 X B5LH for the Crusader, two spare > 9 X Citaros to Red Kite, 4 X Citaros to X70/X71, one spare > 10 X Omnicities to Percy Main for the 17, replacing B10BLEs, 3 X Omnicities for the 15/15A replacing B10BLEs.
15 X B5LH for the Toon Link, two spare > B10BLE's withdrawn, B7RLE's to 67/69.

I know GNE like Wrightbus but, they could do it like this with ADL:
- Cummins E300's for the X66
- Scania E300's for the Lime
- E200's for the 82 / 83 / 85 / 86
- Cummins E400 MMC's for the 27
- Scania E400 MMC's for the Toon Link and Pronto

2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - S813 FVK - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 9:41 pm)Tom 16 X B5LH for the Crusader, two spare > 9 X Citaros to Red Kite, 4 X Citaros to X70/X71, one spare > 10 X Omnicities to Percy Main for the 17, replacing B10BLEs, 3 x Omnicities for the 15/15A replacing B10BLEs.

The 15/15A is currently allocated Volvo B7TL Plaxton Presidents so in this case it would be:
3x omnicities replacing 3x presidents replacing 3 olympians which will be withdrawn.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Scott - 10 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 9:50 pm)DaveyBowyer I know GNE like Wrightbus but, they could do it like this with ADL:
- Cummins E300's for the X66
- Scania E300's for the Lime
- E200's for the 82 / 83 / 85 / 86
- Cummins E400 MMC's for the 27
- Scania E400 MMC's for the Toon Link and Pronto

Good plan, but I don't think Toon Link needs double deckers, and why have different chassis types, ads to engineering costs.

Re: RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 10 Nov 2014

(10 Nov 2014, 11:31 am)Scott Good plan, but I don't think Toon Link needs double deckers, and why have different chassis types, ads to engineering costs.
Because some runs of the Toon Link do require double deckers - this serves as justification for the company to try and go for double deckers, as they will expect growth on top of this.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Drifter60 - 10 Nov 2014

I think GNE always seems to try and buy Deckers if they can justify it, as Dan said. Cobalt clipper, Fab56, Red Arrows are some examples of this happening. I'm confident if/when Prince Bishops is upgraded (I'm thinking 2015) the replacement vehicles will be deckers of some sort. Laser, Crusader, Toon Link could all justify deckers too in my opinion if/when new stock is bought. X66 is an exception due to such a short route.

For this years orders, I'd say they looking at a couple of priorities; Withdrawing of Olympian, B10BLE's & Ciatro Artics. Th
Therefore;
Lime Investment is pretty much guaranteed. An order may be already placed on this one? StreetLites?
X66 Investment is a likely order. Versas/StreetLites seem like obvious choices. I'd like to suggest the former although it could be the latter.
Pronto or ToonLink Investment could be possibility. Mainly for the reason of cascades. Deckers for both will be the vehicle choice I should think. Presidents from X21 could then replace just about all of the remaining Olympians, which can be withdrawn. While investment on the latter group of services would see the B10's withdrawn/cascaded to replace older vehicles and the B7RLE's onto another service such as Pulse services.
Fab57 may be an option, this could tie into the new brand and new vehicles on its sister service, Fab56. This will also free up the last remaining branded B10's.
This only accounts to approx. 50 vehicles.
So I can see scope for another service to be invested in.
I'm wondering if GNE will upgrade another minibus service? I'd say the Venture Solo's have went down very well with passengers. So I'm thinking could East Durham or North Tyne Links receive investment. Be roughly 18 vehicles or 12 vehicles.
This would then mean around 62/68 vehicles.