North East Buses
Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions (/showthread.php?tid=784)

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Andreos1 - 17 Feb 2015

(17 Feb 2015, 3:06 pm)Jimmi Yeah this is the problem, do they go for additional capacity or do they go for duel doors which means faster unloading times.
Thought duel doors would mean they would end up fighting? Wink.

Seriously though, if you compare them to London vehicles - seating capacity is low, but they have the added bonus of being able to accommodate plenty of standees.

It got me thinking about the setup on the European trams to be honest and whether the centre doors could be used to get on/off and the smartcards being used to tap in/out.
The only difference being, that those with cash/paper tickets could use the front door.

Whether punters would take advantage of it and how things could be monitored, I don't know.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Jimmi - 17 Feb 2015

(17 Feb 2015, 3:10 pm)Michael But less seats to...

Is the only currently in production is the Mirco-hybrid version? Is there a longer version to this?

Unless its getting bendies again (Just jking or i'm i?) Tongue 

I'm not sure if there is anything bigger in production that isn't an arctic (I may be wrong).

If the X66 gets StreetLite's hopefully it will have the same seating layout as the Drifter examples which have 45 seats.

The only other things they could do is increase the frequency or get double deckers but double deckers are too tall for the Centrelink.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Michael - 17 Feb 2015

(17 Feb 2015, 3:15 pm)Jimmi I'm not sure if there is anything bigger in production that isn't an arctic (I may be wrong).

If the X66 gets StreetLite's hopefully it will have the same seating layout as the Drifter examples which have 45 seats.

The only other things they could do is increase the frequency or get double deckers but double deckers are too tall for the Centrelink.

Ye, its a shame, double decker's can't use the centrelink.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Jimmi - 17 Feb 2015

(17 Feb 2015, 3:14 pm)Andreos1 Thought duel doors would mean they would end up fighting? Wink.

Seriously though, if you compare them to London vehicles - seating capacity is low, but they have the added bonus of being able to accommodate plenty of standees.

It got me thinking about the setup on the European trams to be honest and whether the centre doors could be used to get on/off and the smartcards being used to tap in/out.
The only difference being, that those with cash/paper tickets could use the front door.

Whether punters would take advantage of it and how things could be monitored, I don't know.

Not sure on London style bus set ups as I have never rode any buses in London.

The smartcards' thing for centre doors could maybe work, perhaps you could police it by having someone standing at the centre doors in Gateshead Interchange and MetroCentre Bus Station and people quickly show their pass (eg. Key or Concession pass) to the person then place it on a scanner and any cash fares go to the front doors. Not sure if this would work though and will probably never happen.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Andreos1 - 17 Feb 2015

(17 Feb 2015, 3:22 pm)Jimmi Not sure on London style bus set ups as I have never rode any buses in London.

The smartcards' thing for centre doors could maybe work, perhaps you could police it by having someone standing at the centre doors in Gateshead Interchange and MetroCentre Bus Station and people quickly show their pass (eg. Key or Concession pass) to the person then place it on a scanner and any cash fares go to the front doors. Not sure if this would work though and will probably never happen.

Similar to the metro when the barriers are down?

Maybe if they went down the route of the Wright Streetcar, it could have worked - but that would have been before the smartcard technology was implemented.

It works well on the continent and has apparently cut down on free travel. People seem to check in and out on the cards in places like Amsterdam, rather than back in the day when not many people seemed to bother.
Loading times are good too.

In London, the deckers are set up like the GNE Vykings and Presidents and the single deckers are the same, just without the stairs.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - omnicity4659 - 17 Feb 2015

Go North East's reply to someone asking why the bendies aren't on the X66,

Go North East Hi - We have removed these vehicles to increase the reliability of the service

What a load of bollocks!

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Dan - 17 Feb 2015

(17 Feb 2015, 4:48 pm)Tommy_1581 Go North East's reply to someone asking why the bendies aren't on the X66,

Go North East Hi - We have removed these vehicles to increase the reliability of the service

What a load of bollocks!

It technically is true...

The articulated Mercedes Citaros were notorious for poor reliability. Thankfully, whenever they did breakdown, it was either in the depot or at a terminus point. Brighton & Hove were in no rush to purchase them - it was Go North East who wanted rid of them.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Adrian - 17 Feb 2015

Remember that the Nexus QCS model doesn't permit the use of double door vehicles, unless it's specifically required for a route. I don't think any company would risk purchasing such vehicles at this stage, in case they end up having to offload them on the cheap.

(17 Feb 2015, 6:14 pm)aureolin Remember that the Nexus QCS model doesn't permit the use of double door vehicles, unless it's specifically required for a route. I don't think any company would risk purchasing such vehicles at this stage, in case they end up having to offload them on the cheap.

Forgot about that!

Was there any additional detail, apart from euro spec?

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Dan - 17 Feb 2015

(17 Feb 2015, 6:14 pm)aureolin Remember that the Nexus QCS model doesn't permit the use of double door vehicles, unless it's specifically required for a route. I don't think any company would risk purchasing such vehicles at this stage, in case they end up having to offload them on the cheap.

(17 Feb 2015, 6:44 pm)Andreos1 Forgot about that!

Yes, I'd say that the Quality Contracts Scheme will have quite a big impact on the decision-making when planning investment. Could you justify spending £100,000 on a car if you knew you were going to lose your job and would be on Jobseekers Allowance? The answer is probably not.

I think the same will apply for the bus operators too. As you can all well imagine, if the scheme does go ahead, then it's likely that the bus operators in the region will wish to retain as much work as possible. Sadly, none of the region's bus operators have a full fleet of vehicles to 'Euro 5' status, meaning that operators will be forced to give up work or bring their fleet up to the required standard. This can be achieved by direct investment or by Eminox modifications - both have their own associated costs, though the latter costs a lot less. Go North East has already SCRT-fitted four batches of Scania L94s to bring them up to 'Euro 5' status: "Loop" and "Highwayman" were the initial batch, and "Prince Bishops" and "Fast Cats" followed. It is actually possible to modify all of the vehicles in Go North East's fleet to bring them up to 'Euro 5' status - even the Volvo B10BLEs. If it makes commercial sense to retain the Volvo B10BLEs at the end of this year, they can be modified so that they are DDA-compliant. The significance of the cost of this job varies by vehicle, but generally speaking, the easier to convert a vehicle to become DDA-compliant, the cheaper.

If Go North East cannot justify spending x amount of money to fund the cost of new vehicles under a Quality Contracts Scheme, then modifying older buses will be the way forward...

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Adrian - 17 Feb 2015

(17 Feb 2015, 6:44 pm)Andreos1 Forgot about that!

Yes - quite a bit. See here.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - pdiddy - 20 Feb 2015

(17 Feb 2015, 6:47 pm)aureolin Yes - quite a bit. See here.

9 Wright Deckers with Merc Engines on order plus Streetlites coming for the lime  Big Grin

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Dan - 20 Feb 2015

(20 Feb 2015, 7:45 pm)pdiddy 9 Wright Deckers with Merc Engines on order plus Streetlites coming for the lime  Big Grin

Can I just point out that very few Go North East employees are in a position to confirm the company's orders for this financial year. Whether the above statement is true or not, I'd just like to clarify that it is speculation and not confirmation.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - S813 FVK - 20 Feb 2015

(20 Feb 2015, 7:45 pm)pdiddy 9 Wright Deckers with Merc Engines on order plus Streetlites coming for the lime  Big Grin

For a start, Citaro5284 said that all orders will have cummins engines so i reckon at least half of this post is not true.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 20 Feb 2015

(20 Feb 2015, 7:54 pm)Robert For a start, Citaro5284 said that all orders will have cummins engines so i reckon at least half of this post is not true.

Are any made in Scotland?

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - citaro5284 - 20 Feb 2015

(20 Feb 2015, 8:22 pm)DaveyBowyer Are any made in Scotland?

Nah, Ireland  Tongue

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 20 Feb 2015

(20 Feb 2015, 8:38 pm)citaro5284 Nah, Ireland  Tongue

Well if that is true, then that as well as all vehicles having Cummins engines brings suggests that it's Streetlites

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Malarkey - 20 Feb 2015

(20 Feb 2015, 8:54 pm)DaveyBowyer Well if that is true, then that as well as all vehicles having Cummins engines brings suggests that it's Streetlites
Could be Enviro 200s.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - citaro5284 - 20 Feb 2015

(20 Feb 2015, 9:16 pm)Malarkey Could be Enviro 200s.

Are they built in Ireland  Huh

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Dan - 20 Feb 2015

(20 Feb 2015, 8:54 pm)DaveyBowyer Well if that is true, then that as well as all vehicles having Cummins engines brings suggests that it's Streetlites

I know you're not keen, and I usually agree with you that heavy-weight vehicles are far superior, but I had a chance to ride on the Streetlites down on Teesside today and the one I had on the 4 out of Whitby managed the steep banks really well indeed. They've just got to be set up correctly, is all. In ten years time, a Mercedes Citaro would be doing far better off than a Streetlite, I'd imagine, but never mind.

(20 Feb 2015, 9:16 pm)Malarkey Could be Enviro 200s.

Ireland - not Scotland! Wink