North East Buses
PCL Travel - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other Operators (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+---- Forum: Northumberland Independents (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+---- Thread: PCL Travel (/showthread.php?tid=876)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: PCL Travel - Charles41 - 13 Nov 2016

I travelled on PCL's M1 Service between Morpeth and Rothbury via Scots Gap yesterday afternoon. The bus was driven by Peter Cowell, the owner of PCL. I was the only passenger for entire length the journey. This really is a cracking route, the countryside is beautiful. There are excellent views of the Simonsie Hills near Netherwitton and you pass through some lovely little villages such as Hartburn. You also pass a number of country houses such as Mitford Hall and Netherwitton Hall. There was a big shooting party on the Netherwitton estate when we passed through.

The route also goes directly past the magnificent Rothley Crags. Some of the route uses roads which have not been used by bus service before such as the section between Longwitton and Longhorsley. The timings could do with slightly adjusting as we were about 5 minutes late into Rothbury despite a good steady journey. If you enjoy visiting country pubs this is the service for you. The Dyke Neuk near Meldon looks like a very nice pub, as does the Plough at Mitford and Anglers Arms at Weldon.

I hope this service takes off, I highly recommend it. The vehicle was a Plaxon bodied Primo (ex Travelsure) which handled the country roads well. We had a good thrash between Longhorsley and Weldon. The cost of a single adult ticket for the entire journey is £4.00 and Mr Cowell states he is planning to introduce a day ticket covering the 15, 16, M1 and S1, the cost of which i understand should be £6.50 for an adult.

Try this route, it runs on a Wednesday and Saturday via Scotsgap with one journey each way. It connects with the Alnwick bus at Rothbury Queens Head.

Charles

RE: PCL Travel - Tom - 13 Nov 2016

(13 Nov 2016, 12:27 pm)Charles41 I travelled on PCL's M1 Service between Morpeth and Rothbury via Scots Gap yesterday afternoon. The bus was driven by Peter Cowell, the owner of PCL. I was the only passenger for entire length the journey. This really is a cracking route, the countryside is beautiful. There are excellent views of the Simonsie Hills near Netherwitton and you pass through some lovely little villages such as Hartburn. You also pass a number of country houses such as Mitford Hall and Netherwitton Hall. There was a big shooting party on the Netherwitton estate when we passed through.

The route also goes directly past the magnificent Rothley Crags. Some of the route uses roads which have not been used by bus service before such as the section between Longwitton and Longhorsley. The timings could do with slightly adjusting as we were about 5 minutes late into Rothbury despite a good steady journey. If you enjoy visiting country pubs this is the service for you. The Dyke Neuk near Meldon looks like a very nice pub, as does the Plough at Mitford and Anglers Arms at Weldon.

I hope this service takes off, I highly recommend it. The vehicle was a Plaxon bodied Primo (ex Travelsure) which handled the country roads well. We had a good thrash between Longhorsley and Weldon. The cost of a single adult ticket for the entire journey is £4.00 and Mr Cowell states he is planning to introduce a day ticket covering the 15, 16, M1 and S1, the cost of which i understand should be £6.50 for an adult.

Try this route, it runs on a Wednesday and Saturday via Scotsgap with one journey each way. It connects with the Alnwick bus at Rothbury Queens Head.

Charles

Will definitely try it sometime! I thought it only ran on Wednesdays!

Did you try the 15? What were the passenger numbers like on there?

RE: PCL Travel - Charles41 - 15 Nov 2016

(13 Nov 2016, 2:11 pm)Tom Will definitely try it sometime! I thought it only ran on Wednesdays!

Did you try the 15? What were the passenger numbers like on there?

I did not have the chance to try the 15, but I'm hoping to get next Wednesday and do Alnwick to Rothbury and then Rothbury to Morpeth using PCL Travel.

Charles

PCL Travel - Jimmi - 15 Nov 2016

LG02FFP is on 885 today, so I would imagine that something different will be on either the 15/16 or either of the M1/S1 today.

RE: PCL Travel - Cobalt271 - 15 Nov 2016

(15 Nov 2016, 1:18 pm)Jimmi LG02FFP is on 885 today, so I would imagine that something different will be on either the 15/16 or either of the M1/S1 today.

I'll have a look this afternoon and report back.

RE: PCL Travel - Jimmi - 15 Nov 2016

(15 Nov 2016, 1:24 pm)Cobalt271 I'll have a look this afternoon and report back.
I'm going to have a look at what's on the 15:00 M1 from Morpeth.

(15 Nov 2016, 1:53 pm)Jimmi I'm going to have a look at what's on the 15:00 M1 from Morpeth.

LG02FFR is on the 15 today.

PCL Travel - Jimmi - 15 Nov 2016

Well LG02FFP is on 15:00 M1. No idea how considering it was on the 885 this morning and it's not due at Byrness until 15:05?!

RE: PCL Travel - Tom - 15 Nov 2016

(15 Nov 2016, 3:01 pm)Jimmi Well LG02FFP is on 15:00 M1. No idea how considering it was on the 885 this morning and it's not due at Byrness until 15:05?!

Did you see what was on the 613?

I wonder if LG02FFP done the 613 then went light to Morpeth, then the bus that done the morning 613 done the 885 in the afternoon.

(15 Nov 2016, 3:59 pm)Tom Did you see what was on the 613?

I wonder if LG02FFP done the 613 then went light to Morpeth, then the bus that done the morning 613 done the 885 in the afternoon.

LDV Convoy MH06WCU was in the car park in Hexham this morning with 613 card in the window. LG02FFP definitely did do the 885 this morning as I saw it entering Hexham with passengers on-board. I'll have a look at what's on the 808 tonight.

RE: PCL Travel - Tom - 15 Nov 2016

(15 Nov 2016, 4:15 pm)Jimmi LDV Convoy MH06WCU was in the car park in Hexham this morning with 613 card in the window. LG02FFP definitely did do the 885 this morning as I saw it entering Hexham with passengers on-board. I'll have a look at what's on the 808 tonight.

I wonder if LG02FFP done the 613 and MH06WCU done the 885 in the afternoon then?

(15 Nov 2016, 4:15 pm)Jimmi LDV Convoy MH06WCU was in the car park in Hexham this morning with 613 card in the window. LG02FFP definitely did do the 885 this morning as I saw it entering Hexham with passengers on-board. I'll have a look at what's on the 808 tonight.

MH06WCU was on 808 tonight.
[Image: 25371372729_e15991e9dc.jpg]PCL Travel: MH06WCU by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr

(15 Nov 2016, 9:43 pm)Jimmi MH06WCU was on 808 tonight.
[Image: 25371372729_e15991e9dc.jpg]PCL Travel: MH06WCU by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr

It's funny you should mention that, I saw a Merc Sprinter with the exact same colours (ex Eden) travelling through Alnwick today.

RE: PCL Travel - Tom - 18 Nov 2016

PCL's website is looking a lot better now! http://www.pcltravel.net/

RE: PCL Travel - jaimz13 - 20 Nov 2016

Have they used the ex eden solo yet

RE: PCL Travel - Charles41 - 23 Nov 2016

I had a nightmare today with PCL Travel. My plan was to catch the 10.15 am Alnwick to Rothbury 15 service and then the 11.00 am Rothbury to Morpeth via Scots gap service M1. The 15 arrived at Alnwick on time operated by Dart LG02FFR. I asked for a day ticket for £6.50, the driver had no idea that PCL sold day tickets. I explained that I had been on the M1 last weekend and the driver (PCL’s owner) had told me about the ticket. The driver still was unable to sell me a day ticket so instead gave me a return ticket for £6.00 which he agreed I could use all the way to Morpeth.

At Alnwick bus station the driver showed me some photos of Mr Cowell on his mobile and asked if that was the guy who told me about the £6.50 day ticket. I confirmed it him. Shortly after leaving Alnwick we had to stop in a layby due to a problem with the Dart’s gears. The driver was able to fix this after calling someone for help. I noted that the rear panel was still missing from the Dart’s interior as per Jimmi’s recent photo.

We then proceeded towards Rothbury, taking in the stunning view of the snow-capped Cheviots. The driver then stopped again in a small layby near Edlingham due to further problems with the bus. He again rang and asked for help. This shortly arrived in the form of sister Dart LG02FFP which was to operate the 11.00 am M1 service from Rothbury. I alighted from LG02FFR and was about get onto LG02FFP when they had a change of heart and decided to take LG02FFR to Morpeth.

So I got back onto LG02FFR expecting this to go Rothbury, it was 10.50 am and I guessed about 5 minutes delay in leaving Rothbury on the M1. Instead the driver took a left at the crossroads and headed to towards Longframlington. We then went straight to Morpeth via Longhorsley and Heighley Gate without picking anyone up. I hope no-one was waiting for the M1 at Rothbury or anywhere along the advertised route via Netherwitton, Scots Gap and Mitford. We arrived in Morpeth at 11.35.

The two drivers were polite, approachable and smartly dressed. However after experiencing the above I have serious doubts about PCL. I do not think I will use their services again. It is a real shame as the M1 could be a really useful and popular service.

A rather miffed…Charles

RE: PCL Travel - Tom - 23 Nov 2016

(23 Nov 2016, 3:47 pm)Charles41 I had a nightmare today with PCL Travel. My plan was to catch the 10.15 am Alnwick to Rothbury 15 service and then the 11.00 am Rothbury to Morpeth via Scots gap service M1.  The 15 arrived at Alnwick on time operated by Dart LG02FFR. I asked for a day ticket for £6.50, the driver had no idea that PCL sold day tickets. I explained that I had been on the M1 last weekend and the driver (PCL’s owner) had told me about the ticket. The driver still was unable to sell me a day ticket so instead gave me a return ticket for £6.00 which he agreed I could use all the way to Morpeth.

At Alnwick bus station the driver showed me some photos of Mr Cowell on his mobile and asked if that was the guy who told me about the £6.50 day ticket. I confirmed it him. Shortly after leaving Alnwick we had to stop in a layby due to a problem with the Dart’s gears. The driver was able to fix this after calling someone for help. I noted that the rear panel was still missing from the Dart’s interior as per Jimmi’s recent photo.

We then proceeded towards Rothbury, taking in the stunning view of the snow-capped Cheviots.  The driver then stopped again in a small layby near Edlingham due to further problems with the bus. He again rang and asked for help. This shortly arrived in the form of sister Dart LG02FFP which was to operate the 11.00 am M1 service from Rothbury. I alighted from LG02FFR and was about get onto LG02FFP when they had a change of heart and decided to take LG02FFR to Morpeth.

So I got back onto LG02FFR expecting this to go Rothbury, it was 10.50 am and I guessed about 5 minutes delay in leaving Rothbury on the M1. Instead the driver took a left at the crossroads and headed to towards Longframlington. We then went straight to Morpeth via Longhorsley and Heighley Gate without picking anyone up.  I hope no-one was waiting for the M1 at Rothbury or anywhere along the advertised route via Netherwitton, Scots Gap and Mitford. We arrived in Morpeth at 11.35.

The two drivers were polite, approachable and smartly dressed. However after experiencing the above I have serious doubts about PCL. I do not think I will use their services again. It is a real shame as the M1 could be a really useful and popular service.

A rather miffed…Charles

I would try and contact the council as that is really bad considering it is more than once there has been problems with the service.

RE: PCL Travel - Jimmi - 23 Nov 2016

(23 Nov 2016, 3:57 pm)Tom I would try and contact the council as that is really bad considering it is more than once there has been problems with the service.
Think he and myself should be contacting someone more important than the council about the services of PCL Travel, the fact that the panel I brought up that was still seemingly in the same state judging my Charles' post is quite frankly alarming, if this is the state of the bus that we can see, what can't we see? Than there is the matter of not running the scheduled route and timetable, hope there was a totally justified reason for this?

RE: PCL Travel - Tom - 23 Nov 2016

(23 Nov 2016, 4:31 pm)Jimmi Think he and myself should be contacting someone more important than the council about the services of PCL Travel, the fact that the panel I brought up that was still seemingly in the same state judging my Charles' post is quite frankly alarming, if this is the state of the bus that we can see, what can't we see? Than there is the matter of not running the scheduled route and timetable, hope there was a totally justified reason for this?

Yeah just noticed about the panel! That's nearly 3 weeks ago now since you noticed it - must be no maintenance at all. I definitely won't be trying out the services after the experience members on here have had!

RE: PCL Travel - Cobalt271 - 23 Nov 2016

(23 Nov 2016, 6:01 pm)Tom Yeah just noticed about the panel! That's nearly 3 weeks ago now since you noticed it - must be no maintenance at all. I definitely won't be trying out the services after the experience members on here have had!

When I first saw Jimmi's post I stated I wouldn't trial their service and seeing more negative reviews I stand by that notion. They're also tricky to photograph at times as they like to leave the Terminus points when they like rather than sticking to timetable.